Is today a Bank Holiday ?

sawaz455

Just visited the local SCB Branch at Tesco in South Pattaya and made an enquiry about an International Money Transfer that I'd done the night before. The lady saisd that the money hadn't arrived but this maybe because it was a Bank Holiday - took me by surprise as I was standing in the Bank at the time.

There must be some logical explanation. Maybe the Branch's do not close but the main Banks do. I haven't been in Thailand that long so am a bit bemused and confused.

Any explanation ??

Another reason to open a new bank account in Thailand at a mall, you won't be delayed by these pesky changing holidays

International money transfers - which the OP asked about - do NOT come directly to the branch, but to the banks central Swift address and therefore, they WILL be affected by bank holidays, no matter where you have opened your account.

It's a national holiday so yes - banks are closed. Branches in malls operate every day and are not covered by normal bank hours.

----------------------------

To clarify.....Many Thai Banks have a central branch headquarters where international transfers are cleared through before they are sent to branch bank offices.

I do not specifically know if that is also true of SCB, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was.

So it is highly possible that even though one of the SCB branch banks are open your transfer may still be waiting in the main office somewhere for someone to clear it by authorizing the computer to do the transfer.

Your money is there, it is just waiting for the right person to authorize the transfer of the funds by hitting the enter key on some computer.

We've all been through it if we have been in Thailand long enough.

I think that people do a lot more at their local branch than just International wire transfers

Like maybe getting your passbook updated for Immigration

Or getting a new ATM card

Or changing your official phone numbers

Or depositing your lottery winnings

Or doing a counter transfer using a foreign ATM card

Lot's of reasons to have a bank branch that is open on bank holidays but you can't argue with arguers