Car booking rises to over 20,000 at Thailand's Motor Expo

webfact

Just got back after a couple of hours wandering around ... Ford seem to be doing a roaring trade as do Mazda.

Mazda are doing very, very well. Proof positive that good looks, coupled with big marketing budgets, sells units.

Ford are also doing well, but not t the same degree. That's kind of understandable though - the Fiesta and Ecosport both look so dated inside when compared to newcomers in their respective segments - I can't imagine anyone buying a car with the yesteryear infotainment systems these two have, given what's available from every other brand. It matters. It's also well known by anyone that's searched, that the Focus us due for a minor change and all-new drivetrain any moment now.

So that leaves them with the Ranger and Everest - the former, which you will have noticed yourself, gets it's volume sales at the higher end of the model lineup (you don't see too many base spec ones about). When your volume selling products are all 800K-1.75M, you're not selling the quantity of the others... you are making much more profit per unit though wink.png

I suspect Ford are thrilled.

Edited by IMHO

So the sales are substantially behind previous years? Not a good sign then despite the positive feel of the article. Also Isuzu don;t make any cars...only the SUVs and the trucks...so it seems that Isuzu must have sold almost all of the non-car sales? I doubt this.

Edited by retarius

Is there any break down of bookings on individual models? Would be interesting to see bookings of ranger/fortuner/pjs, etc. I didn't even bother with the toyota / honda displays this year. There seemed a lot of interest in mazda though. It's too bad the cx-3 is so small; the engine is retuned to give max tq at 2800 rpm, that would make it better around town. The subaru xv tooks a good deal as its post-tax price is still less than 1.2m. I look forward to seeing what ford/honda do in terms of their turbo focus/civic.

So the sales are substantially behind previous years? Not a good sign then despite the positive feel of the article. Also Isuzu don;t make any cars...only the SUVs and the trucks...so it seems that Isuzu must have sold almost all of the non-car sales? I doubt this.

Last year a total of 42,254 units were booked.

The current total for this year is 31,343 bookings, with one day (today) to go. My prediction is for it to finish in the 36K - 42K bookings range.

Is there any break down of bookings on individual models? Would be interesting to see bookings of ranger/fortuner/pjs, etc. I didn't even bother with the toyota / honda displays this year. There seemed a lot of interest in mazda though. It's too bad the cx-3 is so small; the engine is retuned to give max tq at 2800 rpm, that would make it better around town. The subaru xv tooks a good deal as its post-tax price is still less than 1.2m. I look forward to seeing what ford/honda do in terms of their turbo focus/civic.

No, none of the manufacturers provide a breakdown by model - just overall booking numbers.

We'll only see the effects of it over the new few months in the monthly delivery charts.

After driving a CX-3 a few days ago, I can confidently say the HR-V is best in class. All style, no substance the CX-3, IMHO.

Imho how would you rate the hrv against the subaru xv. Similar hp and cvt but the xv is heavier and 4wd. Cost will be comparable after the tax increase on the honda. My main concern would be the service and parts for the subaru. The two dealers for honda and subaru near my place are on the same road. Easy yo fo bavk to back test drives.

Imho how would you rate the hrv against the subaru xv. Similar hp and cvt but the xv is heavier and 4wd. Cost will be comparable after the tax increase on the honda. My main concern would be the service and parts for the subaru. The two dealers for honda and subaru near my place are on the same road. Easy yo fo bavk to back test drives.

I've been in both. The interior is probably nicer in the HRV but the XV is much more refined. The rear seats in the HRV are not as comfortable as my Ranger and there's a lot more road noise compared to my Ranger. Given a choice I'd take the XV over the jacked up Jazz. Miles better engine in the Subaru as well.

Well, I guess I have to say I like the VX, JIC my brother in law ever finds this post :P

If I was shopping for an SUV at this price point, I's be buying a 2WD Everest over all these crossovers.

Well, I guess I have to say I like the VX, JIC my brother in law ever finds this post tongue.png

If I was shopping for an SUV at this price point, I's be buying a 2WD Everest over all these crossovers.

Thanks what is the cost of the 2.2 everest in 2016 ?

Well, I guess I have to say I like the VX, JIC my brother in law ever finds this post tongue.png

Thanks what is the cost of the 2.2 everest in 2016 ?

Here you go smile.png

2016 prices for the full range:

2.2L 6AT RWD Titanium: 1,389,000 (+120,000)

3.2L 6AT 4WD Titanium: 1,599,000 (+140,000)

3.2L 6AT 4WD Titanium+: 1,749,000 (+150,000)

No pricing/details on the rumored new entry level model yet.

The current total for this year is 31,343 bookings, with one day (today) to go. My prediction is for it to finish in the 36K - 42K bookings range.

The final total was: 39,125

And here's some final numbers by brand:

Toyota: 5,975

Honda: 4,864

Mazda: 4,542

Isuzu: 4,348

Mitsubishi: 3,617

Nissan: 3,515

Ford: 2,567

Mercedes-Benz: 1,657

Chevrolet: 1,462

Suzuki: 1,333

MG: 1,288

BMW: 1,018

Hyundai: 850

Subaru: 495

Tata: 297

Volvo: 261

Lexus: 159

Mini: 120

Thanks.

I would say Mazda the big winner, also MG doing remarkably well, and despite their top position Toyota the big loser.

Thanks.

I would say Mazda the big winner, also MG doing remarkably well, and despite their top position Toyota the big loser.

Yes, definitely Mazda have come away from it with a real shake-up. Toyota will be asking themselves serious questions. MG happy, but wondering if it will last... and Ford pretty darn happy to be doing half the sales of Honda..

I have to admit, the Mazda3 looked great, luckily Mrs JAS dragged me away before I could do anymore damage to our finances. That car has got to be a winner ... She did look longingly at the MX5 though.rolleyes.gif

That mx-5 was it 2M+ baht? I would hate a soft top. I'm sure torrential downpours would let water in. Hard (removable) top would be ok. The mazda 3 would be the pick of the small sedans at the moment, until ford and honda introduce their turbo 1.5 models. That focus 1.5 ecoboost looks very good. Hope we get it here.

I had to drag my wife out of a c-class benz lol....they look real nice, but dread service and parts costs..

Edited by DavisH

I had to drag my wife out of a c-class benz lol .... that's the one with the Revo type display ... actually the C Class looks much better that it has over the past few years ... years ago in the UK I had what was probably the last of the 'quality built' Mercs a 190 2.0E

I had to drag my wife out of a c-class benz lol .... that's the one with the Revo type display ... actually the C Class looks much better that it has over the past few years ... years ago in the UK I had what was probably the last of the 'quality built' Mercs a 190 2.0E

I wouldn't even consider any of the older c-class (I couldn't afford an e-class benz) benzes lol. But the new cla/cls and g versions are very nice and quite sporty inside. One has a 2.0 turbo engine, about 2.5M I think.

..actually I need to check my wife's passport...she has told me many times she doesn't like 'showy' cars. Not sure sh's really Thai. She said it would make her look corrupt to her colleagues, and they know she's married to a poor teacher, so didn't get the money from me lol

Edited by DavisH