Didn't give a bribe, where do I pay my fine?

jaiyenjohn

Got stopped near central festival this morning at a roadblock. Pulled over and handed my Thai drivers license to the cop. Looked around the car and decided my offense was my mother was not wearing her seatbelt. Wanted 200 baht, you can pay now. Etc.

Don't know what was up with me, but decided I just wasn't in the mood today for a bribe, and told him I'd pay at the station, even though it was 500 baht there. Sometimes you just get tired of the game I guess.

At any rate, I wasn't having it, the cop took my drivers license, and on the ticket the offense is listed as not having my cars blue book with me instead of the seatbelt thing.

However nowhere on the ticket is the address of the police station, or any phone number to call. Can I just pay my ticket at any police station then, or does it have to be the local one where the guy pulled me over?

Anyone else paid the fine before?

River corner of the big bridge and Wororat Market.

(Down from the train station)

PS

When the police stop you, video record them on your phone.

I start recording before I wind down the window, and let them see.

Stops this sort of nonsense.

Edited by MaeJoMTB

We got some fines from camera's but never paid them. My wife refuses it, i don't care.

They stop me almost daily, i only ask them if they can speak english, many times. Then they let me go.thumbsup.gif

But i thought you can pay them at any policestation or even at the 711.

River corner of the big bridge and Wororat Market.

(Down from the train station)

Reference to the train station might be a bit confusing since it's a good mile west of there.

Pay the ticket at the Chiangmai Regional Traffic Administration Center on east (river) side of Braisanee (or Praisanee) on the west side of the river, immediately north of the Wawee coffee joint and approximately 300-400 yards north of Thaphae Road. it's pretty much right across the street from the Chiangmai Stamp (Philatelic) Museum and a few hundred yards south of the flower market.

Thanks all for the advice.

He did not ask for the blue book at all, I did have it in the car, but that's what's written on the ticket.

How do I get my drivers license back then? He took it at the stop. Will they send it back in the mail, or will it be at the traffic police station?

We got some fines from camera's but never paid them. My wife refuses it, i don't care.

They stop me almost daily, i only ask them if they can speak english, many times. Then they let me go.thumbsup.gif

But i thought you can pay them at any policestation or even at the 711.

You do realize, don't you, that the fines don't just go away? That you will have to pay them before you are permitted to renew your vehicle registration?

He did not ask for the blue book at all, I did have it in the car, but that's what's written on the ticket.

How do I get my drivers license back then? He took it at the stop. Will they send it back in the mail, or will it be at the traffic police station?

They'll have your driver's license there and they'll give it back to you when you've satisfied their needs.

Now, given you say you had your blue book with you and your mom was in the car with you, I might suggest you take your bluebook in with you, explain that it was in the car but the officer never asked for it, and maybe your mom can provide some approving backup. Be nice, smile, look innocent (hehe), and maybe (I doubt it, but it's worth a try) they'll give you a break.

Correction: Noticed I said the train station was west of there....nope, it's east (I knew better and screwed that up).

If you really wanted to prove a point you could have called the Tourist police....

They are there to assist tourists with problems.

You might have even got one of those farang chappies.

Or the mere suggestion that you were going to do it might have put him off.

You don't need to keep the blue book in the car, a copy will suffice.

I've found the cops at the station to be fairly decent, last time I did what the OP is trying to do the station cop reduced the fine from the farang to the Thai price!! We shall be grateful for small mercies :)

No matter which way you`re going to pay anyway and I would have just paid the 200 baht bribe, said sorry officer, kiss, kiss, promise not to do it again, driven off, end of episode.

Now you have given yourself a load of inconvenience including another 300 baht on top just to prove a point. If you have principles and think it`s worth it, then the best of British luck. For me, I`m all for a peaceful stress free life and prefer the most convenient ways out of these predicaments.

I know it doesn't feel good when you come from a different system, but for 200 baht? You could have offered 100 baht and both had a laugh. Or, stood on your principles gathered from living somewhere else. But you live here now. Go with the flow or go against it.

ps last time in USA it cost me $150 for going a few MPH over the limit at 5 am with nobody on the road but a cop hiding behind a sign… neither way feels too good but here it is far less expensive...

Good luck.

I know it doesn't feel good when you come from a different system, but for 200 baht? You could have offered 100 baht and both had a laugh. Or, stood on your principles gathered from living somewhere else. But you live here now. Go with the flow or go against it.

ps last time in USA it cost me $150 for going a few MPH over the limit at 5 am with nobody on the road but a cop hiding behind a sign… neither way feels too good but here it is far less expensive...

Good luck.

Two reasons I like to pay on the spot;

1) The fine is usually less then if they have to write you up.

2) the infraction doesn't go against your driving record.

The police don't have the right to keep your driving license. When told politely on the spot, they will give it back to you immediately.

I made an illegal U-turn, was stopped for it. I refused to pay the bribe, asked the nice policeman if he wanted to see my license. He reluctantly ticketed me. The wife went with me to the police station, said "you wait here", went in and asked for a discount. The officer at the desk said that they couldn't give a discount on that ticket but they could tear it up and issue a ticket for not having the proper documents in the car. My wife agreed to that, paid 200 baht and returned my license to me. Pragmatism defeats idealism once again.

Doesn't the tricket state the police station to use?

BTW, make sure your passengers wear seatbelts. Real messy to see your mom fly through the windshield.

That's the best bit of advice so far, balls to the fine etc, wear ya seat belt!!!!

You only get one Mum!!!!

Edited by roo860

I made an illegal U-turn, was stopped for it. I refused to pay the bribe, asked the nice policeman if he wanted to see my license. He reluctantly ticketed me. The wife went with me to the police station, said "you wait here", went in and asked for a discount. The officer at the desk said that they couldn't give a discount on that ticket but they could tear it up and issue a ticket for not having the proper documents in the car. My wife agreed to that, paid 200 baht and returned my license to me. Pragmatism defeats idealism once again.

Did it? You paid the same amount - 200 thb. But since you "refused to pay the bribe" you ended up spending more time and effort to pay that exact same amount. Doesn't really sound all that pragmatic.

Did it? You paid the same amount - 200 thb. But since you "refused to pay the bribe" you ended up spending more time and effort to pay that exact same amount. Doesn't really sound all that pragmatic.

And since the police don't even have any right to keep your license ...

If you have bothered to learn to speak Thai none of this is necessary. Just ask the officer which EPL team he supports, say isnt it amazing that Leicester are top, accept the praise for your Thai ability, Happy New Year and goodbye....45-50 seconds and jolly good fun.

PS if you are North American dont try this approach with the NBA, NFL or the hockey thing with the puck no one can see; nobody cares and you will have even more problems.

If you have bothered to learn to speak Thai none of this is necessary. Just ask the officer which EPL team he supports, say isnt it amazing that Leicester are top, accept the praise for your Thai ability, Happy New Year and goodbye....45-50 seconds and jolly good fun.

PS if you are North American dont try this approach with the NBA, NFL or the hockey thing with the puck no one can see; nobody cares and you will have even more problems.

NBA??? Isn't that a game called "netball" played by girls in UK????

Edited by blazes

Good luck.

Two reasons I like to pay on the spot;

1) The fine is usually less then if they have to write you up.

2) the infraction doesn't go against your driving record.

Yeap, agree. I tried to pay the police on the spot the last time I got stopped (illegal u-turn) and the guy wouldn't have it. Too honest, I guess. So instead of 200 bt, I had to pay 400 bt plus time wasted. And yes, he took my license but I got it back at the station (location on the ticket). Sometimes, the "proper" way is not very efficient.