Immigration Promenada One Stop Service 2016-2017

Tywais

1 hour ago, jack jack said:

sorry if this has already been asked, but how many times consecutively can you extend 30 day visa at immigration? i’m on my 4th one today. 

i leave the country get 30 more days then extend another 30 then leave again, would’ve been here 8 months after this stamp finishes. will they start getting funny soon if i don’t have a proper visa?

I'm assuming you mean "Visa Exempt Entries" into the country, not extensions because visa-exempt can't be extended and tourist visas can only be extended once.  My understanding:  If coming by land, it's only two times, and if coming by air, the number of times is not restricted, however, the more visa exempt entries you have, especially if they are back to back, then the more likely you will be questioned, and possibly denied entry.  Just my opinion, but I think 4 times might be pushing it.

Edited by Kohsamida

2 hours ago, Kohsamida said:

Thai bureaucracy can be SO unacceptable!  There is really no excuse for the situation you describe.  I mean, to hold someone's passport like that technically means they can't even go out in public without breaking Thai law!  I'm really having seconds thoughts about whether I want to pursue a retirement visa here in Chiang Mai or not.  When it comes to anything bureaucratic here, it just seems everything is FUBAR!

Well, yet again our  friend has heard nothing from immigration and is distraught, so this whole debacle will be moving on to Monday, a total of 7 days since she left her passport to be signed off. 

For the record this lady is a grandmother from who is here with her 4 year old grandson who is at school in Chiangmai, the remainder of the family will be joining later to start their new life in a country they thought would be better for them, not exactly a great start! 

Kohsamida -- was your passport returned the same day as when you applied for your visa change?  If so, what was in the passport -- your actual 90 day non-Imm O visa or a notice that your visa change application was "under consideration" and you are to return at a certain date to actually receive your visa?  If it's the later, you may be in for a surprise like the Chinese grandmother.

7 hours ago, Thailand said:

I will make use of itAn agent is not necessary to do what is required at all

Totally agree that nobody should NEED an agent. 

But the total simplicity and ease of mind etc makes the use of "agents" or whatever is suitable to ME and makes it all worthwhile. 

As I have said on many posts I have been doing this for over 20yrs. (long before PROM and Nancyl).  My use of agents has NOTHING to do with Prom/Thaksin/corruption/bias etc. 

I just happen to hate sitting in any bureaucratic area of any organisation/country wasting my time.  If my avoidance of such a waste of my own pleasure time can be facilitated by any means that I find affordable then it is my right to make use of it. Legally of course.  I am NOT advocating agents or anything else to circumvent the law,  just to give me more time in bed, in the bar or away from any dreaded shopping Mall or bureaucratic areas that I detest.

I, and all other agent users, have the right to use them without condemnation by the "Holier Than Thou Brigade". 

Each to their own.

You are in Thailand by your own choice.

Edited by scottiejohn
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, NancyL said:

Kohsamida -- was your passport returned the same day as when you applied for your visa change?  If so, what was in the passport -- your actual 90 day non-Imm O visa or a notice that your visa change application was "under consideration" and you are to return at a certain date to actually receive your visa?  If it's the later, you may be in for a surprise like the Chinese grandmother.

On my receipt it says "Under Consideration".  That's why I reacted to Thailand's post.  I may be in for the same treatment, but it will certainly be no surprise!  I came to Thailand to get away from all the bureaucratic mess of living in the States but I think I spend more time dealing with it here!

I know this is Chaing Mai and things work differently here than elsewhere, but there is no excuse for a lot of what seems to go on at Promenada.  

Considering that my visa expires two days after the date they said to come in, I guess, worst case scenario, I could get a 30 day extension to ride out the wait if things go south on me.  I hope it doesn't come to that though.

Edited by Kohsamida

2 hours ago, Thailand said:

Well, yet again our  friend has heard nothing from immigration and is distraught, so this whole debacle will be moving on to Monday, a total of 7 days since she left her passport to be signed off. 

For the record this lady is a grandmother from who is here with her 4 year old grandson who is at school in Chiangmai, the remainder of the family will be joining later to start their new life in a country they thought would be better for them, not exactly a great start! 

Sorry to hear that, especially since I may be in the same boat soon.  I repeat, FUBAR!

1 hour ago, NancyL said:

I agree that it's "my right" to buy an upgrade to premium seating on Air Asia, eat Sunday brunch at Le Meridien instead of Gecko Garden, use a taxi instead of songthaew and any other things and situations where you pay a little extra for comfort and convenience.  In buying an upgrade on Air Asia, I'm engaging in a transaction that is clearly publicized and open to all on their website -- not some secret deal bought under the table.  Same with the other examples.  In dining at Le Meridien, I'm not making it more difficult for others to dine at a less expensive restaurant and have a good meal and enjoyable time, am I?  

Sure, some could "condemn me" by saying how could I spend 2000 baht for a meal when I profess to help the less fortunate; shouldn't I be spending my money on them, but that's not to say I'm denying anyone assistance by making an expensive meal selection.  Those who "feed the system" by using agents are denying others the ability to have a functioning immigration office like they seem to have in other provinces.  

I think ScottieJohn and NancyL are both on target.  There's no way I'm going to waste my time standing in a line at 2am or deal with these monumental screw-ups that seem to occur at Promenada with regularity, and so I'll probably use an agent when it comes time for the Non-O extension BUT it just perpetuates this horrible situation and makes it worse for everybody. 

The problem isn't with the agents, although they certainly take advantage of it.  I mean, 18,000 baht for a visa conversion, really?!?!  The problem is with incredibly poor management at Promenada.  No other Imm office I've heard of in Thailand is nearly as bad.

Truth is, I'm seriously thinking of taking a "vacation" to Jomtien and get my extension down there, and then coming back to Chiang Mai.  It seems ridiculous to think of doing that but it's making more and more sense.

Edited by Kohsamida
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, NancyL said:

I agree that it's "my right" to buy an upgrade to premium seating on Air Asia, eat Sunday brunch at Le Meridien instead of Gecko Garden, use a taxi instead of songthaew and any other things and situations where you pay a little extra for comfort and convenience.  In buying an upgrade on Air Asia, I'm engaging in a transaction that is clearly publicized and open to all on their website -- not some secret deal bought under the table.  Same with the other examples.  In dining at Le Meridien, I'm not making it more difficult for others to dine at a less expensive restaurant and have a good meal and enjoyable time, am I?  

Sure, some could "condemn me" by saying how could I spend 2000 baht for a meal when I profess to help the less fortunate; shouldn't I be spending my money on them, but that's not to say I'm denying anyone assistance by making an expensive meal selection.  Those who "feed the system" by using agents are denying others the ability to have a functioning immigration office like they seem to have in other provinces.  

Absolutely spot on, Nancy!

1 hour ago, NancyL said:

Those who "feed the system" by using agents are denying others the ability to have a functioning immigration office

I dare you to say that in Court. 

I am ONLY talking about myself and not necessarily the countless others who WISH to use agents.  It is up to others what they do and your examples of your spending and oh so touchy comments about the less fortunate have no place what so ever here.  They are meaning and have nothing to do with  it  Please read my post again.  Here is a VERY relevant excerpt.

1 hour ago, scottiejohn said:

I just happen to hate sitting in any bureaucratic area of any organisation/country wasting my time. 

I do not care what you waste  or spend your money on nor do I care what you think about my expenditure.

You are implying that I am immoral for using agents in Thailand for Immigration but OK in the rest of the world for all my other "Officialdom" dislikes and use of agents.

Get off your high horse, spend your time and money at Immigration (sorry DUKES) and stop telling agent users that they are criminals.  (you are implying it in your usual snide way by your quote above)

You keep on using DUKES (sorry IMM) and I will KEEP using my agents.

PS;  It has been expressed on this forum that some think your unwarranted crusade against the IMM department has improved things!   Many think otherwise!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NancyL said:

Those who "feed the system" by using agents are denying others the ability to have a functioning immigration office like they seem to have in other provinces.  

Okay, I understand your oft-repeated position but please answer one question:  What leads you to believe that everyone stopping the use of agents would make things better (versus worse) at CM Immigration?  

• Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, Kohsamida said:

Truth is, I'm seriously thinking of taking a "vacation" to Jomtien and get my extension down there, and then coming back to Chiang Mai.  It seems ridiculous to think of doing that but it's making more and more sense.

So spending money to travel and stay in Jomtien (with all the address/TM30/where are you registered etc Imm problems.) is morally more acceptable! (who is your local agent down there?)

PS don't forget the green agenda that the planet will suffer with all your moral travells.  I don't think agents cause so much hot air except by certain people on this site constantly blowing their own trumpets on their own pet causes with no proof to back up their accusations.

Edited by scottiejohn

10 minutes ago, scottiejohn said:

So spending money to travel and stay in Jomtien (with all the address/TM30/where are you registered etc Imm problems.) is morally more acceptable! (who is your local agent down there?)

PS don't forget the green agenda that the planet will suffer with all your moral travells.  I don't think agents cause so much hot air except by certain people on this site constantly blowing their own trumpets on their own pet causes with no proof to back up their accusations.

I spend a lot of time down there anyway so it's no big deal.  I wouldn't need an agent down there because Jomtien Imm is well run compared to CM.  My point is simply that the problem is in poor management at Promenada, not with the agents BUT the agents are unfairly taking advantage of the situation when you recognize how much they charge.  They are unquestionably price gouging, and that is the only "moral" issue I have.

Edited by Kohsamida

3 minutes ago, CMBob said:

have a functioning immigration office like they seem to have in other provinces.

I do like very positive and factual statements.  Unfortunately that is not.  How does the word "seem" fit into your argument.  The IMM Office either it works or it does not.  It cannot "seem" to work.  It is not exactly the most dynamic of ways of describing the situation.  Do the offices in other areas actually function or do only some "seem" to do so.  Go the main TV Visa forum and read all the tales of woe from ALL round the country.

Please come down from your pearly gate existence and join the real world that the rest of us enjoy.

6 minutes ago, Kohsamida said:

I spend a lot of time down there anyway so it's no big deal.  I wouldn't need an agent down there because Jomtien Imm is well run compared to CM

So why did you spend and waste everybody's time on this forum about CM IMM procedures when you could have stayed down there in Jomtien all along, saved the planet and saved us all your now obviously unnecessary multitude of posts?

PS;  How many visits have you made to CM IMM  and how many to Jomtien IMM.  What is your comparative data to make your broad statement of fact condemning one of them?

Edited by scottiejohn
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Kohsamida said:

I think ScottieJohn and NancyL are both on target.  There's no way I'm going to waste my time standing in a line at 2am or deal with these monumental screw-ups that seem to occur at Promenada with regularity, and so I'll probably use an agent when it comes time for the Non-O extension BUT it just perpetuates this horrible situation and makes it worse for everybody. 

The problem isn't with the agents, although they certainly take advantage of it.  I mean, 18,000 baht for a visa conversion, really?!?!  The problem is with incredibly poor management at Promenada.  No other Imm office I've heard of in Thailand is nearly as bad.

Do you seriously think the visa agents are keeping the entire 18,000 baht?  Ask yourself why there seems to be a 10,000 baht difference between what they charge for a "normal" one year extension and a visa conversion.  I've had several visa agents tell me about it.  They follow this thread and don't like it any better than you.  

ScottieJohn -- you're right, in a "perfect world" visa agents can provide a legitimate service, much like real estate agents can make it easier for you to find a house vs. driving around aimlessly in a new location and a good travel agent could plan a great holiday.  But here, the good visa agents have to play the game and they don't like it.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kohsamida said:

Sounds like a good idea but I don't believe you can obtain an extension at any province other than where your registered address is located.  If we were allowed to do that here, a whole lot of Chiangmai expats would be dropping into the Immigration offices in surrounding provinces (Lampang, Lamphun, etc.) once a year to avoid the terrible service offered by the local office.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, CMBob said:

Sounds like a good idea but I don't believe you can obtain an extension at any province other than where your registered address is located.  If we were allowed to do that here, a whole lot of Chiangmai expats would be dropping into the Immigration offices in surrounding provinces (Lampang, Lamphun, etc.) once a year to avoid the terrible service offered by the local office.

Yeah, I think this is correct.  You'd have to go through the whole TM 30 process and then you may find that CM Imm won't let you file 90 day reports once you return here -- until after you've done a new TM 28/30, of course.  And they might remember you.

That agent is starting to look like a good bargain, right?  

34 minutes ago, NancyL said:

Yeah, I think this is correct.  You'd have to go through the whole TM 30 process and then you may find that CM Imm won't let you file 90 day reports once you return here -- until after you've done a new TM 28/30, of course.  And they might remember you.

That agent is starting to look like a good bargain, right?  

You guys are probably correct; just very frustrated at the prospects of going through what many have gone through with the extension, or having to pay someone off for doing the right thing.  An agent is probably in my future; a necessary evil I guess.  

4 hours ago, Kohsamida said:

Because I live here in Chaing Mai and didn't realize how screwed up things were at Promenada until I was in the thick of it.  No reason for you to talk to me so harshly.

Yeh right and there was no way to know that Promenada was a bit of a problem before hand because nobody had ever posted negatively about it.  Even the best due dilligance could not have found out about it, right?

Join the Boy Scouts!

1 hour ago, Trujillo said:

No other Imm office I've heard of in Thailand is nearly as bad.

Obviously never lived on Samui.....

Koh Samui has it's own separate rules.  Frankly they seem OK if you don't mind a couple days on the island to obtain a health certificate.  Worse places to get certified.  

Chonburi trying to introduce a mobile appointments app.

A couple of provinces with new innovations to improve the lot of the unwashed masses of expats.

Wonder what Chiangmai Imm has up their sleeve apart from extending the wait to pick up passports for some processes.

• Like 2

i don't understand the fuss/and nancys self promoting 

went for yr retirement the other day

arrive 8 /30  got number and told to come back 3 pm

went home and returned and was out with passport and stamp 3/45pm

if you go there with a good attitude and not  the nose in air 

you might get a good service with a smile  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Dante99 said:

Yeh right and there was no way to know that Promenada was a bit of a problem before hand because nobody had ever posted negatively about it.  Even the best due dilligance could not have found out about it, right?

Join the Boy Scouts!

...and you should join anger management therapy perhaps.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

42 minutes ago, opalred said:

i don't understand the fuss/and nancys self promoting 

went for yr retirement the other day

arrive 8 /30  got number and told to come back 3 pm

went home and returned and was out with passport and stamp 3/45pm

if you go there with a good attitude and not  the nose in air 

you might get a good service with a smile  

So, according to you, between 0830 and 1545, Imm put you in a position where you were technically breaking Thai law since you did not have a passport in your possession.  Does that sound like proper policy on the part of Immigration to you?  It sure doesn’t to me.

And I suppose you’re also inferring that the “Chinese Grandmother” must have had her nose in the air and wasn’t smiling enough, and so that’s why she still doesn’t have her passport back after 7 days?

C’mon, just because you were lucky, how can you deny there are serious problems at Promenada?  This thread wouldn’t be up to 144 pages if there weren’t some pretty serious issues.

Edited by Kohsamida

32 minutes ago, Kohsamida said:

So, according to you, between 0830 and 1545, Imm put you in a position where you were technically breaking Thai law since you did not have a passport in your possession.  Does that sound like proper policy on the part of Immigration to you?  It sure doesn’t to me.

And I suppose you’re also inferring that the “Chinese Grandmother” must have had her nose in the air and wasn’t smiling enough, and so that’s why she still doesn’t have her passport back after 7 days?

C’mon, just because you were lucky, how can you deny there are serious problems at Promenada?  This thread wouldn’t be up to 144 pages if there weren’t some pretty serious issues.

What specific Thai law is being broken?  This has come up often on the ThaiVisa forums and I don't recall ever seeing which Thai law would be broken.

I am sincerely interested in the specific law.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, hml367 said:

What specific Thai law is being broken?  This has come up often on the ThaiVisa forums and I don't recall ever seeing which Thai law would be broken.

I am sincerely interested in the specific law.

A foreigner must be able to present his/her passport upon demand by police or other authorities.  Granted, the chances of this becoming problematic are low but not being able to do so is technically a violation of Thai law, and so a government entity such as Immigration should not have a policy that puts a person in this position. 

What's more, there are many day-to-day things that require a foreigner to show his/her passport such as conducting any sort of banking, picking up packages at the post office, renting a vehicle, paying for any sort of lodging, public transportation (airline, railroad, bus), etc.

I realize that the previous poster was only without his passport for a half a day.  He was lucky considering that the "Chinese Grandmother" has been without hers for a week.  Nonetheless, he was in violation of Thai law during that time, and at the very least could have been inconvenienced, or at most, arrested, taken to the police station and forced to document that Thai Immigration was holding his passport (or more likely, contribute to the police officer's "retirement fund").  

Edited by Kohsamida