Immigration Promenada One Stop Service 2016-2017

Tywais

9 minutes ago, Mahseer said:

A tip: if/when you get your passport back take a copy of the main page and staple into the back of your bank book. No need to cart passport around and next time your visa is due you can carry on banking until your little heart's content.

Thanks for the tip but it doesn't work with my bank (Bangkok Bank).  I keep a copy in my wallet and tried to use it once to make a withdrawal, along with my ATM card, driver's license, etc.  No go; they said they needed to see the actual passport.  

It might just be here in Chiang Mai.  Everything else here seems to go by a separate set of rules compared with the rest of Thailand LOL!

Edited by Kohsamida

37 minutes ago, Mahseer said:

I bank with B.B. Thapae and they have accepted the copy for years but that doesn't mean it works everywhere eh?

good luck.

One thing I've noticed about banks in Thailand is the rules vary widely, not only from bank to bank, but even from branch to branch.  Thanks for the vote of "good luck".  I'm learning that with Imm in Chiang Mai, almost everything is a matter of luck unfortunately.  It shouldn't be that way. ?

Edited by Kohsamida

Obviously, Kohsameda, Immigration, and maybe your bank, see you coming and conspire to trip you up!  Or is it your fate?  So much trouble!  So much trouble!  After recalling your many, many, MANY posts, sometimes you seem to have been doing things the hard way and cut it close on scheduling for your convenience.  Frankly, as I have suggested to you before, if you are going through a  new complicated Immigration procedure, an experienced agent is well-advised.

Yes, administrative procedures do change --- which I suspect is going on in this case (but who knows!) ---   but only once have I been seriously inconvenienced.  That was recently, by the way, and I will post separately about that later.  When I brought that situation personally to the supervising office supervisor's attention, she was gracious and accepted that a change was needed to accomodate some people.  Here attitude reflected the attitude of officers I have dealt with over the years (bar one, to be honest, who apparently had a burr under her saddle, which, as she alluded to, had to do with some obnoxious foreigner(s) who preceded me that day). Some days are harder than others.

Bank business?  A copy of my passport for Bangkok Bank works for me, but I do generally have my passport for transactions other than simple withdrawals.  Also have used it with a driver's license for deposits in another person's account at Kruengthai Bank.  Besides, you do have an ATM card for some transactions, so what was your problem?

By the way, it is also a good idea, I suggest, to include in your wallet a copy of the current extension approval page along with the passport ID page.  I appreciate this does not help with airport checkins for international flights and such, but I'd certainly allow for problems in my scheduling of things.  Nt everything, goes like clockwork, does it?

Regarding the visa changes that you and "Grandma" have made, I am guessing that some procedural changes are apparently in process.  I know of two such visa changes in the past year with which there were no problems, the latest in April--- but it certainly is a rather extended multistage process as well as not being cheap.  Keep in mind that the alternative is to leave the country to go through the process.  Count your blessings being able to do it here!

All in all, in working with Immigration for over ten years, I cannot agree to your comments that Immigration is now a "shambles" and that the office's treatment of you is "absurd."  Your comments.   You should have been around a few years back when the Chiang Mai office was overwhelmed by the flood of foreigners showing up, many with an undue sense of privilege and/or appalling manners.  Was it difficult to experience?  Absolutely, but, even in those times, Chiang Mai Immigration officers who were rather overwhelmed were always polite and accommodating.  I found that remarkable given the appalling  verbal abuse and the unprepared (many ill-kept and unbathed as well as impolite) foreigners with whom they dealt with (and still do deal with) too often.

Comparably, around the world, I have experienced worse situations. And consider the appalling problems experienced in so many countries --- such as the USA, UK and Europe ---  even for tourist visas. I am not saying buzz off and return to where you came from, but learning to deal with ambiguity will help you rest easier.

And, no, it isn't a matter of "luck," as you have most recently posted!

Edited by Mapguy
Some text changes to be more complete and responsive
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Mapguy said:

Obviously, Kohsameda, Immigration, and maybe your bank, see you coming and conspire to trip you up!  Or is it your fate?  So much trouble!  So much trouble!  After recalling your many, many, MANY posts, sometimes you seem to have been doing things the hard way and cut it close on scheduling for your convenience.  Frankly, as I have suggested to you before, if you are going through a  new complicated Immigration procedure, an experienced agent is well-advised.

Yes, administrative procedures do change --- which I suspect is going on in this case (but who knows!) ---   but only once have I been seriously inconvenienced.  That was recently, by the way, and I will post separately about that later.  When I brought that situation personally to the supervising office supervisor's attention, she was gracious and accepted that a change was needed to accomodate some people.  Here attitude reflected the attitude of officers I have dealt with over the years (bar one, to be honest, who apparently had a burr under her saddle, which, as she alluded to, had to do with some obnoxious foreigner(s) who preceded me that day). Some days are harder than others.

Bank business?  A copy of my passport for Bangkok Bank works for me, but I do generally have my passport for transactions other than simple withdrawals.  Also have used it with a driver's license for deposits in another person's account at Kruengthai Bank.  Besides, you do have an ATM card for some transactions, so what was your problem?

By the way, it is also a good idea, I suggest, to include in your wallet a copy of the current extension approval page along with the passport ID page.  I appreciate this does not help with airport checkins for international flights and such, but I'd certainly allow for problems in my scheduling of things.  Nt everything, goes like clockwork, does it?

Regarding the visa changes that you and "Grandma" have made, I am guessing that some procedural changes are apparently in process.  I know of two such visa changes in the past year with which there were no problems, the latest in April--- but it certainly is a rather extended multistage process as well as not being cheap.  Keep in mind that the alternative is to leave the country to go through the process.  Count your blessings being able to do it here!

All in all, in working with Immigration for over ten years, I cannot agree to your comments that Immigration is now a "shambles" and that the office's treatment of you is "absurd."  Your comments.   You should have been around a few years back when the Chiang Mai office was overwhelmed by the flood of foreigners showing up, many with an undue sense of privilege and/or appalling manners.  Was it difficult to experience?  Absolutely, but, even in those times, Chiang Mai Immigration officers who were rather overwhelmed were always polite and accommodating.  I found that remarkable given the appalling  verbal abuse and the unprepared (many ill-kept and unbathed as well as impolite) foreigners with whom they dealt with (and still do deal with) too often.

Comparably, around the world, I have experienced worse situations. And consider the appalling problems experienced in so many countries --- such as the USA, UK and Europe ---  even for tourist visas. I am not saying buzz off and return to where you came from, but learning to deal with ambiguity will help you rest easier.

You've made some good points and I appreciate them, but that doesn't change the fact that things are incredibly screwed up at Promenada in a way that doesn't seem to exist at other Imm offices, and most of the problems are easily avoidable if the office were properly administrated, which it is most definitely not.

There shouldn't be ANY procedure that causes one to be without their passport  for more than 24 hours, and if there is, Imm should at least offer some sort of official documentation.  Being without a passport could become a serious problem in an emergency! 

At the very least, it is a REAL issue in my case because I can not conduct an important wire transfer right now that is time-sensitive, and I have a scheduled trip by air coming  up this weekend.

I don't fault my bank for their policy of demanding a genuine passport and not a copy.  It's as much for my own protection as for their.  I don't fault the airlines, or the hotels, or the police, or any other entity that demands a genuine passport and not a copy since a copy can be more easily forged than the original.  I blame Promenada for forcing me and other people into this situation, and it's just plain wrong, and it's completely unnecessary, as are many of the other procedures at Promenada.

I do a great deal of international travel so I am familiar with visa procedures in the many countries I've visited, and I have never run across such a screwed up system as I've encountered at Promenada.  Furthermore, I have a lot of friends living in Jomtien who say that procedures there are, for the most part, are quite organized and relatively efficient, so my take is that there is something wrong at Promenada.

That's not to say that many of the Imm officers at Promenada don't try to be helpful.  My experience has been great in that respect.  Most of them go out of their way to try and help.  The problem is not with the personnel; it's with those with those who oversee the process at that specific office.

I'm not really sure why you have a problem simply acknowledging this, and instead seem to enjoy sarcastically insinuating that the fault is mine, but I suppose you're entitled to your opinion.

Edited by Kohsamida

Obviously, Kohsameda, Immigration, and maybe your bank, see you coming and conspire to trip you up!  Or is it your fate?  So much trouble!  So much trouble!  After recalling your many, many, MANY posts, sometimes you seem to have been doing things the hard way

Difficulty understanding, preconceived notions, compulsion for certainty and the expectation of trouble make trouble.  Most likely wears a sigh "Kick Me".

16 minutes ago, Dante99 said:

Difficulty understanding, preconceived notions, compulsion for certainty and the expectation of trouble make trouble.  Most likely wears a sigh "Kick Me".

Thanks Dante, I always know I can count on you to chime in, in troll-like fashion, with something hardly inspiring to say and delivered with wit as sharp as a blunt pencil.  You're a legend...in your own mind.

Edited by Kohsamida
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Kohsamida said:

Even his buddy ( a "like " for everything she posts).....finally suggested he might need an agent.  Many of us began trying to be helpful but the many many many....on and on and on posts finally just turned me off.

Almost all of us have had to experience some hassles and "misunderstandings".  We have somehow survived and things have gotten easier.  We are not stupid and do understand your frustrations but frankly get tired of endless rants.   I am sure this post will just give you more cause for another one !

One more vote :  try an agent next time

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Kohsamida said:

Thanks for the tip but it doesn't work with my bank (Bangkok Bank).  I keep a copy in my wallet and tried to use it once to make a withdrawal, along with my ATM card, driver's license, etc.  No go; they said they needed to see the actual passport.  

It might just be here in Chiang Mai.  Everything else here seems to go by a separate set of rules compared with the rest of Thailand LOL!

I had the same problem with The Chang Klan Bangkok Bank

Would not accept my small copy with my Visa Extension

But a new teller from another bank said it was ok

I think it was this supervisor who would not be flexible

24 minutes ago, Saraphee said:

Back to the thread.

I arrived at 5.20 this morning. Sat in the Extension of Stay queue.

Got No. 12.

More to follow.....................

Thanks for the update

will await your final summery

3 hours ago, Lizard2010 said:

I had the same problem with The Chang Klan Bangkok Bank

Would not accept my small copy with my Visa Extension

But a new teller from another bank said it was ok

I think it was this supervisor who would not be flexible

I agree; the one thing I've noticed with Thai banks is that nothing is etched in stone as far as their rules go.  Even within the same branch, decisions seem to be at the discretion of the individual officer you are dealing with.

Nonetheless, My branch of Bangkok Bank seems adament on requiring an original passort, and I actually appreciate their stance on this.  I mean, it's as much to my benefit as it is to the bank to have stringent rules when it comes to verifying a person's identity. 

I blame Promenada for unnecessary inefficiencies that cause a foreign citizen to be without their passport for more than a day.  It's simply not necessary from a procedural viewpoint, and technically speaking, it places the person in the position of being in violation of their very own immigrations laws!  Practically speaking (in my case) it can be a major inconvenience due to banking and travel issues I'm currently facing.

I get carried away with my posts sometimes but this post wasn't meant purely as a rant even though I'm pretty pissed about it.  It was meant to point out the inadequacies of the system, and as a warning to others that they may be parted from their passports for unreasonable amounts of time when dealing with the Promenada office.

Edited by Kohsamida

1 hour ago, Kohsamida said:

Were you there with a 90 day Non-O visa and going for a 1 year retirement extension?

6 hours ago, Saraphee said:

Back to the thread.

I arrived at 5.20 this morning. Sat in the Extension of Stay queue.

Got No. 12.

More to follow.....................

Downloaded a re-entry form from the internet from the Immigration site, filled it out, glued a photo to it, copied and signed passport pages and went to Prom.

Waited in line for 15 minutes while various aggravated customers upset staff and various staff did stupid things for seemingly no reason.

My turn.....wrong form, get new form, get new picture, copy everything and come back, he said.

I don't think so said I!

Drove to my visa agent on Chiang Mai Land, they said the form was fine but they'd take care of things and I was to meet them there at 1:30pm, they promised me I wouldn't have to speak to any idiots, just smile. And so it was, it cost me an extra 300 baht but it was worth it, I should have done that in the first place.

If you don't want to give good service just say so, just don't pretend that you do and then hand me cr*p. I'm NEVER going to Immigration without an agent ever again, I promise

Thanks for listening, rant over. 

Was there twice this month...

- 90 days is pretty fast atm, waited about 1h for mine and arrived at 08.30 am few weeks ago...

- Visa extension is now longer as they are processing EVERY yearly extension in main room now and at the same desk.. (Students, retirements, works, teachers and so on).

Got queue number 3053 at 09:00 am and done at 15:00..

At 16:00 they had processed over 160 of the 90 days so it has improved...

In reality, it doesn't take much Imm. manpower (or rather ladypower) away from the overall operation and some people just like having a day out @Prom.  

Also, if you miss the window of opportunity for mailing or filing online, you really have no choice but to go in person.  Some people just aren't well enough organized.

• Confused 1

Cant imagine why many people would want a day out at Prom ,we've been through this before.

Anything that reduces crowding at Imm, to me, is a positive.

Yes many people miss windows, obviously cant read or dont  have a calendar.Bangkok Bank provide mine?for free !

1 hour ago, simoh1490 said:

Downloaded a re-entry form from the internet from the Immigration site, filled it out, glued a photo to it, copied and signed passport pages and went to Prom.

Waited in line for 15 minutes while various aggravated customers upset staff and various staff did stupid things for seemingly no reason.

My turn.....wrong form, get new form, get new picture, copy everything and come back, he said.

I don't think so said I!

Drove to my visa agent on Chiang Mai Land, they said the form was fine but they'd take care of things and I was to meet them there at 1:30pm, they promised me I wouldn't have to speak to any idiots, just smile. And so it was, it cost me an extra 300 baht but it was worth it, I should have done that in the first place.

If you don't want to give good service just say so, just don't pretend that you do and then hand me cr*p. I'm NEVER going to Immigration without an agent ever again, I promise

Thanks for listening, rant over. 

I can't help but wonder if the poster's attitude was a factor here. He describes imm staff as "idiots" but I think that term is better applied to someone who uses an agent to get a reentry permit - which is also available at the airports. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, amexpat said:

I can't help but wonder if the poster's attitude was a factor here. He describes imm staff as "idiots" but I think that term is better applied to someone who uses an agent to get a reentry permit - which is also available at the airports. 

It is my choice, for my own reasons, to get a re-entry permit where ever I chose using whichever intermediaries I desire, your views of which option you might prefer are totally irrelevant to my selection process, as are any comments you may have on the subject.

2 minutes ago, amexpat said:

I didn't state it for your edification or approval. That would obviously be futile.

Your objective in posting similar comments are widely understood, that much we do know.