BMW X1 - all new 2016 please date Thailand?

MrJ

I don't know of any mainstream car brands that allow customization in Thailand. They just churn them out with all options preselected for you. Only things like paint and interior colour may be selectable, and even then only specific trims with specific paint colors.

If you want to add things like reverse cameras, changing the wheel size etc you'll have to pay out separately. If it's anything like heated seats, sunroof, idrive, or ACC forget about it. For things like this you'll have to go down the grey import route. Doing this means they can spec what you want as they do in other BMW dealerships in EU/US etc. but you may have warranty issues. I have heard of some local dealers accepting the cars but requiring additional payment to warranty the car in Thailand, or just point blank refusing to have anything to do with your car for warranty work. Of course, the importer may offer a warranty and I've seen some of the bigger importers doing the same 5 year warranties as BMW.

Its indeed possible to order a specific car with certain options, but its gonna cost you. Thats exactly what my dealer told me anyway. I don't have anymore details about how much extra though..

Could you tell us which brands official dealers do this?

Ford Thailand certainly weren't interested in getting me a 3.2 Wildtrak with a proper gearbox, even though that model is made for export. :(

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know of any mainstream car brands that allow customization in Thailand. They just churn them out with all options preselected for you. Only things like paint and interior colour may be selectable, and even then only specific trims with specific paint colors.

If you want to add things like reverse cameras, changing the wheel size etc you'll have to pay out separately. If it's anything like heated seats, sunroof, idrive, or ACC forget about it. For things like this you'll have to go down the grey import route. Doing this means they can spec what you want as they do in other BMW dealerships in EU/US etc. but you may have warranty issues. I have heard of some local dealers accepting the cars but requiring additional payment to warranty the car in Thailand, or just point blank refusing to have anything to do with your car for warranty work. Of course, the importer may offer a warranty and I've seen some of the bigger importers doing the same 5 year warranties as BMW.

Its indeed possible to order a specific car with certain options, but its gonna cost you. Thats exactly what my dealer told me anyway. I don't have anymore details about how much extra though..

Ford Thailand certainly weren't interested in getting me a 3.2 Wildtrak with a proper gearbox, even though that model is made for export. :(

Doubt they'd be able to do that even if they wanted to. They'll have a line specifically for export, it's not as simple as just taking it from one line and sticking it in another. Would be nice though, but helping us out isn't really a priority for them.

I thought this thread was about BMW X1 - so obviously I am talking about BMW..

Well I've been told categorically that BMW don't. The dealer may do something but BMW don't offer this. I'll be with the BMW executives at the motorshow on Monday so I'll double check this in case they've changed the process, but they've told me previously they couldn't get the options they wanted for their work cars because the options are fixed here.

Go a 100% no from BMW on this. Dealers maybe take it on to do this themselves, but the factory won't do any customisation of their cars outside of the listed body and interior colour options offered.

• 2 weeks later...

Go a 100% no from BMW on this. Dealers maybe take it on to do this themselves, but the factory won't do any customisation of their cars outside of the listed body and interior colour options offered.

BMW? You call BMW Thailand? They will no say no to every request that's not approved by the board. You have to ask the dealers directly.

My dealer has confirmed its possible years ago. Its a guy on this forum who ordered a custom X3 last year. I just asked my dealer about a custom 330e at the Motor Show yesterday, and he said he will come back with details. It's gonna cost extra, because its a tedious process.

Same goes for retrofits. Most dealers won't do it, but some do.

BMW? You call BMW Thailand? They will no say no to every request that's not approved by the board. You have to ask the dealers directly.

My dealer has confirmed its possible years ago. Its a guy on this forum who ordered a custom X3 last year. I just asked my dealer about a custom 330e at the Motor Show yesterday, and he said he will come back with details. It's gonna cost extra, because its a tedious process.

Same goes for retrofits. Most dealers won't do it, but some do.

Well I had a plant tour on Friday in Amata Rayong. The way the lines are set up it isn't possible for them to customise. If a dealer wants to do it then that isn't really anything to do with BMW. All they are doing is charging you for the work aftermarket style. Some may give you trade in value if you're swapping wheels, or I know it's 50k to add a rear parking camera.

I'm only talking about BMW, not the dealers who are independent of the brand. Within their agreement between the manufacturer and dealer it says they aren't supposed to perform most customisations unless the kit is official, as it could be construed as official BMW policy to allow modifications, when in reality it's only the dealer doing this. BMW don't know anything, and if there was any come back, like a part damaging the car all liability would rest with the dealer.

Well I had a plant tour on Friday in Amata Rayong. The way the lines are set up it isn't possible for them to customise. If a dealer wants to do it then that isn't really anything to do with BMW. All they are doing is charging you for the work aftermarket style. Some may give you trade in value if you're swapping wheels, or I know it's 50k to add a rear parking camera.

I'm only talking about BMW, not the dealers who are independent of the brand. Within their agreement between the manufacturer and dealer it says they aren't supposed to perform most customisations unless the kit is official, as it could be construed as official BMW policy to allow modifications, when in reality it's only the dealer doing this. BMW don't know anything, and if there was any come back, like a part damaging the car all liability would rest with the dealer.

When they custom order a car (outside the lines), it has to go through BMW.

I asked for a 330e with ACC (Active Cruise Control with ‘Stop and Go’) and HUD. Since this is a CBU, should be no problem. I guess it if its a CKD, its more difficult. My dealer didn't decline my inquiry, when I asked him yesterday, but told me he would get back to me after he asked. Since he is the owner of the dealership, I guess he would ask someone in BMW.. Lets see :)

• 3 months later...

just get news today - see attached file, so unfortunately no rear a/c vents, no adjustable/sliding rear/passenger bench, short standard front seats and for my taste ugly wheels for the XLine compared to the CBU

It won't list the rear ac vents here. From what I've seen CKD normally comes with rear vents. Sliding bench was a non standard option, but now standard so may appear here and just not be listed. Slipping bench also have an electric switch relapse for folding down seats. Longer sport seats with M Sport model.

just get news today - see attached file, so unfortunately no rear a/c vents, no adjustable/sliding rear/passenger bench, short standard front seats and for my taste ugly wheels for the XLine compared to the CBU

Mazda CX-5d is bigger, better spec'ed, and 1M cheaper.

and its still a Mazda.........good car but different level of product

Agreed. The X1 has had 'middling'reviews and is only a nose ahead of the Mazda. It's certainly not worth 1m baht more.

Sent from my R2D2 using my C3P0 manservant

the CKD has arrived at the show rooms already and first deliverys are prepared - I will have a test drive and close look later today. According to BMW it takes only 2 - 4 weeks from order to delivery at the moment

Just sayin'...if the German engineering and Thai assembly are to your liking then go for it ☺

Just sayin'...if the German engineering and Thai assembly are to your liking then go for it ☺

CX-5 is built in Malaysia and I'd say the build quality is better here than it is there.

CX-5 is built in Malaysia and I'd say the build quality is better here than it is there.

I wouldn't dispute that fact...it's the same with the Malaysian built Volvos we get here in Thailand...their fit and finish is suspect. However, for the money spent, the CX-5d is no doubt the better value.

just signed today for X1 sdrive 18i mineral white , mocha leather - delivery in 2 - 3 weeks, fyi CKD comes fully loaded including e.g. rear air vents (but no sliding rear bench).

only driving about 10k km / year and mostly urban, thats why decided to save 200k THB and went for the benzine eventhoug missing out the great seats and steering wheel from the M Sport - Considering plug in chip from Germany tough

Edited by MrJ

just signed today for X1 sdrive 18i mineral white , mocha leather - delivery in 2 - 3 weeks, fyi CKD comes fully loaded including e.g. rear air vents (but no sliding rear bench).

only driving about 10k km / year and mostly urban, thats why decided to save 200k THB and went for the benzine eventhoug missing out the great seats and steering wheel from the M Sport - Considering plug in chip from Germany tough

Congrats...post a few pics of the new baby when she arrives.

I wouldn't dispute that fact...it's the same with the Malaysian built Volvos we get here in Thailand...their fit and finish is suspect. However, for the money spent, the CX-5d is no doubt the better value.

I thinks Mazda its good choice.

But if guys look bemmer..

May be better forester ..rolleyes.gif .. for keep money..

and look as not allsmile.png

I'm looking at Racechip Ultimate. Since your B38 engines is the same as the one in my 2 Series you can expect something like a 34bhp and 52nm torque boost. Will set you back 27k and they have an official supplier and installer in bkk.

I'm looking at Racechip Ultimate. Since your B38 engines is the same as the one in my 2 Series you can expect something like a 34bhp and 52nm torque boost. Will set you back 27k and they have an official supplier and installer in bkk.

thank you - I might change to the M Sport as I decided don't want to miss out on the sport seats and steering wheel.....but depends on the availability as i am going to sell my current car today and need replacement by 3 weeks or so (M Sport in mineral grey probably not in stock), so could also stay with my current petrol order....

I might get back to ou on this (either for the D or Benzin) chip tuning - I will check in Germany next week as well as I will be there.....

post-138940-0-36362000-1468976841_thumb.

post-138940-0-48732700-1468976880_thumb.

post-138940-0-14896700-1468976912_thumb.

Petrol only for now, BMW released a surprise first delivery and dealers are racing to sell through. They are trying to convert some diesel orders to free up space in diesel queue.

If you want a diesel the release date is still expected to be in September.

yes mostly but a few CKD diesel have been delivered already was sitting in pre ordered a M Sport white pearl at my dealer and didn't liked the exterior compared to the X Line (as Diesel as well on display) but expecting it better in other colors.

But if you order right now you have to wait for the diesel infill September, while petrol are available right away

So I am still undecided (power, 8 speed transmission, sport seats and steering wheel of the M or saving 300K for the benzene?) and checking out the show room in Germany at the moment to find a solution.

Any expierence with BMW diesel particle filter when mostly do short and city driving?

Petrol only for now, BMW released a surprise first delivery and dealers are racing to sell through. They are trying to convert some diesel orders to free up space in diesel queue.

If you want a diesel the release date is still expected to be in September.

yes mostly but a few CKD diesel have been delivered already was sitting in pre ordered a M Sport white pearl at my dealer and didn't liked the exterior compared to the X Line (as Diesel as well on display) but expecting it better in other colors.

But if you order right now you have to wait for the diesel infill September, while petrol are available right away

So I am still undecided (power, 8 speed transmission, sport seats and steering wheel of the M or saving 300K for the benzene?) and checking out the show room in Germany at the moment to find a solution.

Any expierence with BMW diesel particle filter when mostly do short and city driving?

In general, isn't it recommended that particle filter fitted diesel cars be driven at highway speeds for at least 20-30 minutes per tank of fuel?

• 2 weeks later...