What's so great about Chiang Mai?

banter68

Yeah I have to agree, it's changed so much, for the worse.

The Thais will develop it until it's lost any semblance of the charm of the old city.

The Chinese invasion has had a huge impact too.

Maybe one has to be a foreigner to appreciate somewhere that the locals don't?

Anyway, the smaller towns of the North are far nicer places to live.

Can't see it myself.

Been here 7 years, it's as good today as it was 7 years ago.

Less white tourists, more Chinese tourists .... that's true, but I'm not here to mix with tourists.

Internet is waaaaay better than 7 years ago.

The choice of bicycle shops has expanded.

Can't see that prices have gone up much either.

When I came here (alone), was spending 70k a month, now (as a family of 4), spending 45k a month.

Despite 3 of us being at school (1 university, 1 high school, 1 kindergarten)

VFs view is great, but my bedroom window has a nice view too.

attachicon.gif2013-10-25 07.05.41.jpg

Hopefully the public utilities will eventually bury those overhead line, and your view will be even better. Lol

• Replies 320
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have lived in CM since June (so I haven't experienced the burning!!).

1) The food in CM is superb. Trip Advisor lists 1500 restaurants and virtually any place you go into is fabulous.

2) I rented a place for 19,000 a month and it was amazing. A younger friend found one for 10,000 in the same block, and has found a studio for 4000 now (quite tidy). There are LOADS of great places to stay + hotels are quite abundant and cheap.

3) The people are really friendly.

4) The farangs you meet in bars are chatty and friendly........ not generally sleaze merchants.

5) CM is very safe. I feel very comfortable walking around late. Plus I never see p*ssed up guys fighting.

6) The police seem very nice (although they do close the bars shortly after 12!)

It only seems to be CM in Thailand where bars are closing shortly after midnight????? Not that I want to drink into the wee hours every night..... but it does seem to be a silly rule. There are effectively no nightclubs (they also close at 12!!!!!) and things just shut down. If it continues, CM will just attract Chinese tourists who want to just eat and go home to their hotels.

Ahhh, you haven't experienced the burning yet. Check out the pinned threads on burning as they include some pictures. On bad days we can't see the mountains in our own back yard, less than 1 km away. Many talk about the slash and burn agriculture as the primary problem, but living out in the sticks, I can attest that most of the smoke comes from forest fires that are deliberately set by the local in order to clear the forest underbush and promote the growth of mushrooms in the rainy season. The mountains are literally on fire all around our Amphur during the hot season, usually right up to Songkran when the locals take a break from the arson. It's probably one the the worst problems with living here in CM and Northern Thailand in general. February and March are always good times to plan a vacation outside of the 'burn zones'.

The Thais will develop it until it's lost any semblance of the charm of the old city.

Can't see it myself.

Less white tourists, more Chinese tourists .... that's true, but I'm not here to mix with tourists.

When I came here (alone), was spending 70k a month, now (as a family of 4), spending 45k a month.

Hopefully the public utilities will eventually bury those overhead line, and your view will be even better. Lol

At least Connda has a home close to Chiang Mai that has received electrification. Apparently, VillageFarang's place in distant Chiang Rai is off the grid.

Can't see it myself.

At least Connda has a home close to Chiang Mai that has received electrification. Apparently, VillageFarang's place in distant Chiang Rai is off the grid.

No electric? Wow. I though everyone was on the grid nowadays. Guess not.

The really big bitch I have about Chiang Mai now is they are no longer bringing in two and some times three good movies a week. My movie interests are still the same.

The answer to your woes is called BitTorrent [emoji12]

Good idea

I just wish I was not tech challenged and could figure it out. There is one problem with it

I also enjoy them more in a theater. This week nothingsad.png

How ever on the computer would be OK for some.

Hard to use the Television. The wife watches it.sad.png

On the other hand those soaps are a great reason to not learn Thai.

But I do enjoy some of the comedies. They remind me of Milton Berle and Red Skelton.giggle.gif

I've always thought Chiang Mai to be the perfect size - big enough to contain every amenity you could ever reasonably want, buit not so big that the size and scale of the place in overwhelming, Especially the moats around the centre, I find them a delight in navigating and getting your bearings,

I use a scooter or bicycle, no traffic problems.

Burning has happened since I came here, some years it's worse, some it isn't.

Better hot than cold or wet.

When I came here 7 years back, it was 1.6M for a small new house, now it's 1.9M, not so bad. Her home loan repayments stay the same.

I'm not ill.

Very quiet where I live, day or night.

Housekeeper, it isn't that hard doing it yourself.

I like hiking and cycling in the mountains, I can do it every day.

I like to have western items easily available.

Internet connection is good.

What's not to like ...... 50x better than living in the UK.

I'm sorry you had such a disappointing life in the UK.

Many of us have an enjoyable life in one of the greatest countries in the world.

Traffic will kill this Golden Goose. Chiang Mai is becoming a visctim of it's own success, with substantial parts of the city untouchable in regards to road development.

Bad as the traffic is now, I predict the city will be gridlocked by 2020.

probably sooner from what I have seen

Come here on a yearly basis, and have found the traffic woes worsening with no respite.

Gridlock....There is a frequent column in the Washington Post called "Dr. Gridlock," and it's about some of the worst traffic you've ever seen. Been going strong for at least 35 years. Gridlock is like a chain reaction of clogged intersections. It has arrived in CNX; make no mistake....

Singapore, Hong Kong, Shanghai, Tokyo and travelled many places in Asia. On balance Chiang Mai for me is on top of the list in terms of quality of life. But at the end it's a personal choice.

Ofcouse Chiang Mai in my opinion nice place in World.

But "top of the list in terms of quality of life" can say if If you do not pay attention

security, protection of the law(police), availability of goods and services and some another thinks.

everyone has their own criteria. Sure safety and rule of law are better say in Hong Kong or Singapore. But think about other criteria. Proximity to picturesque nature, quality of food, cost of living, culture, speed of life, traffic, air quality, etc not sure what you mean with availability of goods and services. I think most things are very easy to get here and relatively cheap. Again I would say Chiang Mai for Asia is pretty much on top of my list. Maybe there are some places in Vietnam I would consider but that's well behind CM.

I use a scooter or bicycle, no traffic problems.

Burning has happened since I came here, some years it's worse, some it isn't.

Better hot than cold or wet.

When I came here 7 years back, it was 1.6M for a small new house, now it's 1.9M, not so bad. Her home loan repayments stay the same.

I'm not ill.

Very quiet where I live, day or night.

Housekeeper, it isn't that hard doing it yourself.

I like hiking and cycling in the mountains, I can do it every day.

I like to have western items easily available.

Internet connection is good.

What's not to like ...... 50x better than living in the UK.

I'm sorry you had such a disappointing life in the UK.

Many of us have an enjoyable life in one of the greatest countries in the world.

I am with you I enjoy my life here in Thailand one of the greatest countries in the world.

Traffic will kill this Golden Goose. Chiang Mai is becoming a visctim of it's own success, with substantial parts of the city untouchable in regards to road development.

The reason it gets gridlocked is because other than that it is such

a great city to live in that people just flock in by the 100s.

For myself I walk a lot much easier to get many places.

Then again I have positioned myself where I do not need

to go across town every day. I really don't see much help

with the Gridlock as the original streets were not laid out in

such a way as to not allow Rapid transit. Any form of rapid transit

would just clog the roads more. You would still need the tuk

tuks and songthows to get from the nearest stop to your place of residence.

These threads always generate a lot of emotions out of people, and here's why... There are a lot of farang that live here who lie to themselves about why they are here, and how happy they are being here. To help illustrate that point, as an example, if I lived in Hawaii, and I absolutely loved living there and someone asked me why, maybe I would say 'there is beautiful nature, I love surfing, and I like the volcanoes'. But then if someone else came on and griped about some negative things, I absolutely wouldn't care what others say. People only care what others say about Chiang Mai/Thailand, because when it is the truth, it chips away at the lies that they tell themselves. Otherwise, the comments would just roll off their back and they wouldn't care.

everyone has their own criteria. Sure safety and rule of law are better say in Hong Kong or Singapore. But think about other criteria. Proximity to picturesque nature, quality of food, cost of living, culture, speed of life, traffic, air quality, etc not sure what you mean with availability of goods and services. I think most things are very easy to get here and relatively cheap. Again I would say Chiang Mai for Asia is pretty much on top of my list. Maybe there are some places in Vietnam I would consider but that's well behind CM.

Ofcouse everyone hase their own criteria.

So what why i say if do not care about security and protect by low, shoice goods and service, its can be.

Quality of food? Are you seriously? `

Picturesque nature in Hk it have buatiful mountain views and sea views.

Air quality? I do not know where i can see about some laboratory testing " air quality" in Chiang Mai( in HK can look this is online)

If only My own feelings, in Discowery Bay it great Air, do not have February "fog" as in Chiang Maithumbsup.gif

So :

cost of living( but some style cheapest in HK), culture, speed of life, traffic.

YES for this is Criteria i agree. Chiang Mai better HK and many Asia place, even Thailand.

Cheers

wai2.gif

Get on that motorbike and get up into those hills, love it.

Riding the mountains around northern Thailand is an absolute biker's delight! 99% of the roads are in good condition, twisty enough to keep you on your toes, with vistas that are a delight to the eye. There are restaurants every few kilometers, plenty of gas stations, and parks, waterfalls, and rest areas all over. Even the Samoeng Loop is a pleasure to ride for a short 2-3 hour lunch break, without ever getting very far from the Old City.

Get on that motorbike and get up into those hills, love it.

Riding the mountains around northern Thailand is an absolute biker's delight! 99% of the roads are in good condition, twisty enough to keep you on your toes, with vistas that are a delight to the eye. There are restaurants every few kilometers, plenty of gas stations, and parks, waterfalls, and rest areas all over. Even the Samoeng Loop is a pleasure to ride for a short 2-3 hour lunch break, without ever getting very far from the Old City.

Regularly do that loop, never get tired of it!

No electric? Wow. I though everyone was on the grid nowadays. Guess not.

Check out the three phase wiring. Those are the four wires on top for those unfamiliar with such things.

House%252520East%252520Side%252520-%2525

Looks very 'on the grid' to me. Lol. Nancy! He has electricity, and I bet even running water. No trips to the well with a bucket. :)

Creating sub terrain power is expensive & complex

Some day perhaps. Right now Thailand's electrical infrastructure looks like something out of the early19th century United States.

post-87058-0-15960300-1451885772_thumb.j

The reason it gets gridlocked is because other than that it is such

a great city to live in that people just flock in by the 100s.

For myself I walk a lot much easier to get many places.

Then again I have positioned myself where I do not need

to go across town every day. I really don't see much help

with the Gridlock as the original streets were not laid out in

such a way as to not allow Rapid transit. Any form of rapid transit

would just clog the roads more. You would still need the tuk

tuks and songthows to get from the nearest stop to your place of residence.

The solution to city girdlock? A Honda 125 or similar motorcycles/scooters. I detest driving my car in Chiang Mai. Motorcycles make the girdlock disappear. Just follow the rest of the motorcycles in front of you, up and over sidewalks, through breaks in the traffic. When car traffic is backed up in a line that takes 20 minutes of waiting just to get to a stop light, motorcycles navigate the maze in a matter of minutes. You just need to keep you wits about you and drive defensively, because the Thai's don't (nor the Chinese who always look perpetually confused and lost).

Archived