Giving Birth/antenatal Care In Chiang Mai - Government Or Private

skeetaboat

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone has had experience giving birth in a Chiang Mai hospital? If so, how did you find the care and the prices? Especially interested to know about people's experience in the government hospitals in Chaing Mai.

Also, anyone attended antenatal classes in Chaing Mai? (either Thai or English language) If so, where and at what cost?

All input appreciated. Thanks.

Hi,

My wife has given birth to two children in Chiang Mai.

The first was at the Mother and Child hospital - this was nearly three years ago and the cost was about 25,000 for a private room and a caesarian birth. I personally can say that there is not one thing to recommend about this hospital. Unfriendly, poorly trained staff - a really miserable and depressing place.

Last week my wife gave birth to our second child at McCormick Hospital the cost was 31,000 for 5 nights in a private room with another caesarian birth. The Doctor was excellent and spoke reasonable English, the nurses attentive and friendly. The hospital and private room was a bit tired looking but wife and child are both healthy and happy.

Used Chiang Mai Ram, which is always a pretty safe bet for anything medical unless you have a prior and specific recommendation.

Search this sub-forum, this has come up before and I've written in more detail about Chiang Mai Ram there.

Hi,

My wife has given birth to two children in Chiang Mai.

The first was at the Mother and Child hospital - this was nearly three years ago and the cost was about 25,000 for a private room and a caesarian birth. I personally can say that there is not one thing to recommend about this hospital. Unfriendly, poorly trained staff - a really miserable and depressing place.

Last week my wife gave birth to our second child at McCormick Hospital the cost was 31,000 for 5 nights in a private room with another caesarian birth. The Doctor was excellent and spoke reasonable English, the nurses attentive and friendly. The hospital and private room was a bit tired looking but wife and child are both healthy and happy.

hi anonymouse,

congrats on your new born.

also to the OP, i think chiang mai ram is the best place unless prices have gone up 40k plus. then its a bit pricey and mccormick might be an alternative.

TB

two & a half yrs ago the price was 25,000 at the CM Ram for c-section & 3 or 4 nights in private room. Has the price really gone up so much? My impression was the private hospitals are very competitive on the birth prices, hoping to hook you for all further visits with your baby. Anyone have the latest prices?

> My impression was the private hospitals are very competitive on the

> birth prices, hoping to hook you for all further visits with your baby.

They try to sign you up for a full 'package' pretty much around the time you're just THINKING about having children. :o

We do actually do the onoculations at Chiang Mai Ram. They give you this little booklet upon birth with the baby's 'service history'.. For some reason I want to stick to that schedule and be able to show proper service for the li'l bub. :D (And they do offer good vaccination medicines, like where you just require one shot to get protection against a whole lot of things at once. And I never found them to be actually pushing expensive or less necessary vaccinations.

two & a half yrs ago the price was 25,000 at the CM Ram for c-section & 3 or 4 nights in private room. Has the price really gone up so much? My impression was the private hospitals are very competitive on the birth prices, hoping to hook you for all further visits with your baby. Anyone have the latest prices?

i think its in the vicinity of 45,000 now. unless you been following up or were a customer before the price rise. would do good if you knew the doctors and talk to them about getting the "old package" (no harm trying). we are being offered the old package of 28,000 for a 3 or 4 nights stay in a pvt. room for the child to come in a couple of months. this was because we were already following up before the price rise.

the new price commenced july of this year.

My wife and I recently had a healthy baby delivered at Chiang Mai RAM. Our complete costs for the delivery (natural, but induced) and 3-nts in an upgraded private room (a two-rm suite) was just under 34000 baht. This does not include any prior check-ups before labor. Previous appts throughout the pregnancy averaged about 700 baht which usually included an ultrasound, folic acid & calcium pills.

We've been very pleased with the experience and follow-up appts. And as Chanchao mentioned, the little health history book for the baby is a nice to guide to have and follow. It's mostly written in Thai but the immunization charts are in Thai/English. Check-ups for the baby have been 200baht, not including any medication or vaccinations.

Hmmm, we were never offered any birth packages but my wife does have a RAM discount card which amounted to about a 1000 baht savings.

Good luck and congrats!

_ihop

They give you this little booklet upon birth with the baby's 'service history'.. For some reason I want to stick to that schedule and be able to show proper service for the li'l bub. :o

Other hospitals, McCormick for instance will update that "full service history booklet for you". Tha last vaccination we had at Ram for the 2 yr service seemed a little excessive, can't remember which one it was, & the extra charges for doctor & hospital fee seem to be on the increase. We go to McCormick now for minor sicknesses.

They give you this little booklet upon birth with the baby's 'service history'.. For some reason I want to stick to that schedule and be able to show proper service for the li'l bub. :o

Other hospitals, McCormick for instance will update that "full service history booklet for you". Tha last vaccination we had at Ram for the 2 yr service seemed a little excessive, can't remember which one it was, & the extra charges for doctor & hospital fee seem to be on the increase. We go to McCormick now for minor sicknesses.

thats a good alternative. vaccinations are expensive at CM ram. think i'll take my kids to mccormicks for follow ups. CM Ram also has a tendency to prescribe the most expensive antibiotics for the kids with inflated prices. i normally ask the doctors which one they prescribing and buy it outside. am not shy about it cause saving every penny goes a long way.