City-dwellers: What do you travel to Dark Side for?

Hal65

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The location in 2nd road must be so much better.

Maybe I should move?

maybe you should....

That restaurant is far up north in Pattaya. You can see the Sanctuary of Truth in the background. Far away from second road :-)

I hate going into pattaya centre with a passion.

But only because of the traffic and crowds

The dark side is a much quieter and nicer place to go but in all fairness there is not much difference in what is available if you are obsessed with what is for sale in either place.

On the other hand if you are not obsessed with what is for sake in either place than its better to live on the dark side where at least the crowds are less as well as the traffic.

In other words there isn't really much difference apart from density of people and traffic

Maybe I should move?

maybe you should....

That restaurant is far up north in Pattaya. You can see the Sanctuary of Truth in the background. Far away from second road :-)
. The discussion started about whether or not it's necessary to cross on to the dark side. Yes my condo is not near second road. But it's is Actually the continuance of second road.

Regardless and back on topic. I cross over to the dark side regularly on 36 on my way to work. And sometimes stop for a drink by the lake on the way home. I kind of like going to the bars there because they are cheap and can be quite entertaining. It's fun to mix things up. Also taking the motorcycle for a ride out there is nice too.

Maybe I should move?

maybe you should....

. The discussion started about whether or not it's necessary to cross on to the dark side. Yes my condo is not near second road. But it's is Actually the continuance of second road.

Regardless and back on topic. I cross over to the dark side regularly on 36 on my way to work. And sometimes stop for a drink by the lake on the way home. I kind of like going to the bars there because they are cheap and can be quite entertaining. It's fun to mix things up. Also taking the motorcycle for a ride out there is nice too.

Yes my condo is not near second road. But it's is Actually the continuance of second road.

Like Bangkok is a continuance of Sukhumvit road?

Maybe I should move?

maybe you should....

Yes my condo is not near second road. But it's is Actually the continuance of second road.

Like Bangkok is a continuance of Sukhumvit road?

yes...exactly...you are a quick study.

Excellent bars with very friendly ladies if that's what you want.

This is very true now. I moved here 9+ years ago; and, while it was not as "dark" as I hear it was when the name was coined, the growth over the past 9 years has been significant. some good, and some bad in that.

Traffic still MUCH better than on the west side of Suk; but much heavier than it was 9 years ago.

But with that greater population and traffic has come much more variety and quality of restaurants, and bars. Although we still don't have topless go-go bars here, for those who enjoy such attractions. I certainly miss that opportunity. Lots of bars in the range from "friendly pubs" to bars with "working ladies".

Overall, while "nightlife" options abound, as others have said, it is still a "quieter" environment in which to live, and drive - except on "motorbike hell" road - otherwise known as Nern Plub Warn (or Muslim Road), which is as bad as any road on the west side to drive on for those of us who drive automobiles. Far fewer "people problems" to deal with: such as drunken tourists; drunken, aggressive resident "punters"; aggressive ladyboys; general criminal types; ripoff vendors; and BiB.

Personally, if I were moving to Thailand from the USA now, knowing what I know now, i'd choose to live in one of the many quality villages here on the Darkside, rather than in a "stand alone" house, as I do now. But, as it is, I have no major complaints. There's no way that I would choose to live in the noisy, crowded, dangerous environment on the west side of Sukhumvit. ... But I'm an old dude, and that's just a personal lifestyle choice. :-)

@patsfangr - pretty much right. But the lower ends of Kao Talo and especially Khao Noi are congested and unpleasant (especially after a heavy rainfall). Traffic is getting steadily worse, yet not at break point for me. And it's still easy to get away from the madding crowds and out into the countryside.

@patsfangr - pretty much right. But the lower ends of Kao Talo and especially Khao Noi are congested and unpleasant (especially after a heavy rainfall). Traffic is getting steadily worse, yet not at break point for me. And it's still easy to get away from the madding crowds and out into the countryside.

This is true. I neglected to point out that the RR bypass road intersections are a mess during heavy traffic hours. This, like the tunnel, was a woefully ill conceived idea. It should have been left as a SINGLE road on one side of the tracks, which could then have been easily controlled by traffic signals. (Have to note that somebody made a bundle of money on those traffic signals, which have not operated since about a week after then were installed!) Those intersections are often backed up for over 1/2 km during the mid-late afternoon hours.

However, once past that bottleneck, even heavy traffic moves steadily from 1 km east of the tracks to the lake area.

In your own country, do you ever go to the projects, council estates or social housing areas?

Spoken like someone who has never set foot on the dark side, but prefers the high class atmosphere of Soi 6.

Spoken like someone that has succumbed to the wife's dictat to "never go near that place or I'll cut it off"giggle.gif

In your own country, do you ever go to the projects, council estates or social housing areas?

Spoken like someone who has never set foot on the dark side, but prefers the high class atmosphere of Soi 6.

Spoken like someone that has succumbed to the wife's dictat to "never go near that place or I'll cut it off"giggle.gif

It may come as a surprise, but there is no prerequisite to be married to live on the dark side.

Whats wrong with you ? Your not willing to pay 180 baht and up for fried rice ?

Real Thai markets, at real Thai prices, A vast array of restaurants and bars, and prices are much cheaper.

Traffic is bad now, exploded since the bypass was built, but in whole IMO a much better experience than West Pattaya

One thing we don't have many of is condo blocks. More houses with gardens and their own pools.

Actually, the greatest inconvenience of living on the east side of the tracks is the lack of a major supermarket. I've heard a rumor that the large construction site near the east end of Khao Noi is going to be a Big C. I have no confirmation of that, however, as there is no signage there to indicate the ultimate occupant.

As it is, the time and aggravation of the traffic in crossing the tracks to go to Macro, or either of the 2 Lotus or Big C locations is frustrating. I'm hoping that the rumor of a full size Big C on Khao Noi is true. Anybody know for certain?

Lots of check points at night!

Slight correction wai2.gif

MONEY COLLECTION, POINTS

no my friend i live on the dark side boonsampan there are police check points i have been halted many times never had to give any money because every thing is following the law

WitawatWatawit... Kha Talo unpleasant after rain..Is it bad for flooding around there?. I am currently looking to move over to the dark side. I like the idea of bigger yard area, being able have room to work on a project car, bbq area etc, and getting the hell away from the thousands of tourist buses ive been dodging or 3 years,and the constant jack hammering of a building reno or condo building site.and and and

Never been.

No baht buses.

But I think it's a good business opportunity.

Could do SLUMMING tours like done in FAVELAS in Rio.

Employ local fixers of course, and provide police protection.

Sign me up!

There are baht buses that run up and down Nern Plubwan.