Problems ahead?

Goldieinkathu

Just come back from Central, it was dead in there. Burger King has closed, sales everywhere and half the shelves in Tops had no stock on them.

Then the lights dim, they announced to help global warming?

If new shopping centers are opened and people go there instead then how long before Central looks like Big C?

I don't care what the TAT figures are , it's clear to me that there are big problems on the horizon.

I wonder if some of these big projects will be put on hold?

Your thoughts.......

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interested in what you say.

I have thought Patong has been empty and the traffic all around Phuket is much lower than any previous high season.

However, we had dinner in Jungceylon last night and quite surprised at how busy the restaurants, shops and beauty parlours were. It seemed to us that there has been a large influx of people including Europeans in the last 3-4 days.

I too think that the season appears to be disaster and some big economic effects will be felt, but how they will manifest I am unsure.

Ok, 47 views and not one reply.

I wonder if I'd asked on thoughts on the t1ts of the woman at the Deli counter if it would have made a difference? laugh.png

Solly.

Don't live in phuket.

Can report from Lampang, busy like hell all over.

Country not likely to go bust any moment due to pukhet.

I wonder if I'd asked on thoughts on the t1ts of the woman at the Deli counter if it would have made a difference? laugh.png

Isn't it a bit unhygienic to have birds at a deli? There has been some, yet quiet noise about bird flu coming back. I hope the girl was ok.

In reality, you preloaded your question quite strongly. Sometimes it works, sometimes not, sometimes it just takes a bit more time.

One thing what is happening in Phuket, is that the general gravity is moving northwards. Northern part is being developed. Roads have been widened for quite some years already. New services are popping up. Shopping centres, malls, restaurants.

If you made the thread title a little more specific you would get a higher percentage of replies to views.

Going by the title, the topic could have been about anything, so you attracted viewers who have no interest in shopping threads.

People are starting to wake up that there are BETTER and SAFER places to visit in Thailand than Phuket.

The whole joint is a complete rip off.

From Tuk Tuk's to jet skies to general price hikes, robberies, bashings, motor cycle accidents, etc ,etc.

I used to love Phuket but no more.

Isn't it a bit unhygienic to have birds at a deli? There has been some, yet quiet noise about bird flu coming back. I hope the girl was ok.

In reality, you preloaded your question quite strongly. Sometimes it works, sometimes not, sometimes it just takes a bit more time.

One thing what is happening in Phuket, is that the general gravity is moving northwards. Northern part is being developed. Roads have been widened for quite some years already. New services are popping up. Shopping centres, malls, restaurants.

Its actually real "birds" there now and then but who want to buy pastry in a country with +30C around the clock unless straight from the own and/or in a cooling desk.

Over Christmas and New year central was super busy. You could not find a parking space and there were throngs of people everywhere. The food hall was busy as well. When you mentioned Tops are you referring to the tops across the road in the home works building? That place is never busy as most people just use the food hall at central.

I've been to Central yesterday also, twice (once to bring the wife to the movies around 2PM and once to pick her up again around 4PM) and on both occasions I had to drive around several times to find a parking spot in the garage.

For some reason it does not feel busy in the shopping mall, but the car park was almost totally full.

Keep in mind that it was Wednesday, which is a notorious slow day (hence they have the discounts at movie theaters and some restaurants). You should come back to Central on a Friday, Saturday, or Sunday, then you can open a thread about how it took you 30 minutes to even enter the parking garage because the line of cars went all the way around the block.

It's January. Everywhere has sales in January.

BK was never particularly busy, unlike McDonald's and KFC, so no surprise it's gone. Wine Connection must be paying a fortune for their space in Central. I wonder how they're doing, especially since been forced to abide by the alcohol sales laws.

Solly.

Don't live in phuket.

Can report from Lampang, busy like hell all over.

Country not likely to go bust any moment due to pukhet.

In Chiangmai Central Festival and Central Airport still busy with tourist and locals !

I did read your post, but with the greatest respect,I do wonder what the purpose of posts such as this is?

What difference does it make to the average peraon's life what future developments are put on hold or how a city is faring out. It might be considered as useless information to the average Joe.

A lot of business owners have said they rely on high season to get them through low season.

It will be interesting to see how many are still operating at the end of this high season.

I already know of one case where the farang owner has gone back to his home country to work, leaving his wife in charge to keep the business open. I would question the viability of this, especially as it's high season, but each to their own.

As I have said before, there will be no real high season on Phuket anymore, just a steady stream of low end package holiday tourists from developing nations. The western tourists are not coming here in the numbers we have seen in the past. They were the ones that kept businesses afloat over the low season.

Also, with Bali now back in full swing, a lot of Australians have gone back to holidaying there over their winter, where as for several years after the bombings, they were holidaying on Phuket.

The sad thing is, Phuket's many problems could be fixed, and Phuket could easily return to its past prosperity. The problem is, simply put, Phuket is managed by criminals, and we are now seeing the results of their shortsighted grab for money.

With the Thai military in control, who bought very little change to Thailand, and even less positive change to Phuket, I can only see harsh economic times ahead for Phuket. There will definitely be a recession, and most probably a depression here.

This will have a big impact on all in business here, but particularly Thai's who have come to Phuket for employment. The loss of businesses and decreases in services effecting us all here.

In the past, Phuket has had something to blame - tsunami, bird flu, swine flu, GFC, terror threat etc etc. This time around, there is nothing else to blame but themselves.

I did read your post, but with the greatest respect,I do wonder what the purpose of posts such as this is?

What difference does it make to the average peraon's life what future developments are put on hold or how a city is faring out. It might be considered as useless information to the average Joe.

Important information to those considering buying a business here, starting a business here, buying property here, living here, working here, holidaying here, investing here etc.

I hadn't realised that the heading of a thread was such an exact science laugh.png , I'll give it more thought next time.

So if parts are being developed further North then I presume the slice of the pie will just get smaller. Will the new Mega Mall projects near Central pull more people away from the ones in the North?

When all said and done people only have so much money to spend, will it be enough to keep all these places going?

If you made the thread title a little more specific you would get a higher percentage of replies to views.

Going by the title, the topic could have been about anything, so you attracted viewers who have no interest in shopping threads.

Noted.facepalm.gif

Its actually real "birds" there now and then but who want to buy pastry in a country with +30C around the clock unless straight from the own and/or in a cooling desk.

blink.png

Over Christmas and New year central was super busy. You could not find a parking space and there were throngs of people everywhere. The food hall was busy as well. When you mentioned Tops are you referring to the tops across the road in the home works building? That place is never busy as most people just use the food hall at central.

I went almost every evening up to Christmas and was surprised how different it was to last year. There were plenty of people but I didn't see everyone carrying bags of shopping. The OTOP type stalls selling to Chinese seemed to be busy but all the Christmas food stuff was piled high, I presume in expectation of the Russians that were here last year.

I'm talking about the main Tops, as you say , the other is never busy.

Looks to me like they're dropping many lines food stuff. I noticed last night how many shelves are now filling up with rows of the same product, a bit like in Tesco lotus.

It's January. Everywhere has sales in January.

BK was never particularly busy, unlike McDonald's and KFC, so no surprise it's gone. Wine Connection must be paying a fortune for their space in Central. I wonder how they're doing, especially since been forced to abide by the alcohol sales laws.

You're right, everywhere does have sales in Jan, in previous years I've not seen the 75% off signs in Central though before Christmas.

I was more surprised that Burger King had closed.Noticed it as I was eating in Wine Connection. It was fairly quiet in there too but I would like to report that after requesting that all the food come out at the same time they actually managed it! It was served on cold plates though and with the air con was cold long before we'd finished eating. I guess you can't have everything laugh.png

With greatest respect I can't begin to understand why you wouldn't understand. laugh.png

Central is always full. You can't base observations on a few western restaurants and regular winter sales. Thais eat thai food.

I presume you sit in Central 7 days a week to say that "Central is always full"?

I know Thai's eat Thai food, many also love Western food. I can only base my observations on what I see and last night and most nights ( as that's when I get time to go do my shopping) I don't see enough people in there to keep things going like before.

Take a look at some of the long time restaurants in there, they're filthy and run down, it's clear to me that they're not making enough profit to keep on top of the place.The rents in there must be huge, I just can't see them going for much longer through this next low season - just my thoughts.wai.gif

Which one is filthy? Pizza co, sizzler, sukishi, yayoi,sp, wine connection fuji and mk all look brand new.

The rents are not that high and every business that caters to thais is doing very well. There is more to phuket than tourism.

Sorry can't name and shame. Have a good look round next time you eat in some of them, you'll see what I mean.

I see most Thai's can't even pay for their meals or shopping without using a credit card, do you really think that economic problems are not going to affect them?

Chinese too, I rarely see anyone pay cash even for small amounts.But I'm sure you'll be able to explain to me why this is.wai.gif

I can see how a post such as this is of no interest to a Pattaya resident such as yourself.

However, for residents of Phuket Province, a downturn in a major shopping center could be an early indicator of the failing economic health of the Island, and many here have large interests in businesses and property on Phuket.

I think he means the Tops Market on the bottom floor of the main mall. FYI the ground beef in there is about 600B per kilo which is obviously insane BUT makes the best burgers imaginable.

Which one is filthy? Pizza co, sizzler, sukishi, yayoi,sp, wine connection fuji and mk all look brand new.

The rents are not that high and every business that caters to thais is doing very well. There is more to phuket than tourism.

Sorry can't name and shame. Have a good look round next time you eat in some of them, you'll see what I mean.

I see most Thai's can't even pay for their meals or shopping without using a credit card, do you really think that economic problems are not going to affect them?

Chinese too, I rarely see anyone pay cash even for small amounts.But I'm sure you'll be able to explain to me why this is.wai.gif

How bored are you? Have you never heard of points? The more you use your CreditCard the more points you get and also it gives you an highler limit in the next few months. We pay even 200b purchases with our creditcard.

Edited by bearpolar