Pattaya Police Officers hurt as Russians speed through checkpoint

snoop1130

Pattaya Police Officers hurt as Russians speed through checkpoint
Pattaya One News

post-249866-0-90324300-1453459426_thumb.

PATTAYA -- A Pattaya Police Officer was hurt and two Russians were arrested in the early hours of Friday following an incident at a checkpoint in South Pattaya.

Officers were positioned on the overpass leading to the Bali Hai Port in South Pattaya, just before 4am and noticed a motorbike driven by a foreigner, which appeared to be speeding-up rather than slowing down as they approached the checkpoint.

As the bike sped through the checkpoint, the vehicle struck Police Lance Corporal Chai aged 22 who was rushed to Hospital suffering from head and upper-body injuries along with a broken ankle.

Full Story: http://pattayaone.net/pattaya-news/220999/pattaya-police-officers-hurt-as-russians-speed-through-checkpoint/

pattaya-one.jpg
-- Pattaya One 2016-01-22

Lot of knocking Pattaya's finest for not doing their job, but when they do their job and this happens I hope the Russian get locked up for a long time before being kicked out the Kingdom.

I hope the Police Officers does fully recover and his get the proper compensation he deserves.

Edited by Basil B

Lot of knocking Pattaya's finest for not doing their job, but when they do their job and this happens I hope the Russian get locked up for a long time before being kicked out the Kingdom.

I hope the Police Officers does fully recover and his get the proper compensation he deserves.

Though there is merit to these checkpoints, they are primarily about money. Pay your fine (big) and you are free to drive home. Still drunk.

Though there is merit to these checkpoints, they are primarily about money. Pay your fine (big) and you are free to drive home. Still drunk.

So. nobody is going to court for drink driving. Do get your facts straight.

They should use barriers and not stand out in the road hoping people will stop. The punishment these days does actually give people an incentive to try and run the road-block. I do not condone drink driving in the slightest but nor do I like it being utilized as a way of extracting money.

Edited by jacko45k

Some may, some may not.

Many are, but not all. And going to court has nothing to do with being taken to the police station, paying your fine, then being allowed to go home.

The key word in the post being "primarily".

Nobody should be riding around while drunk, and the idiot deserves harsh legal punishment. I hope the officer recovers completely, but I have to wonder how serious a broken ankle can be. Could it really prevent this man from continuing to work for the police?

"The young Police Officers career is now in-the-balance depending on how he recovers from the ankle injury."

...standard explanation of certain individuals: 'Sorry officer I accidentally got my shoe stuck in the gear as I wanted to downshift then lost control'

...read of many cases where cars have plowed through checkpoints with little or no consequences....but.....

So, a policeman doing his job gets run down by a drunk and some here feel somehow the police are at fault due to pure greed and not a legitimate reason like checking licences, whether bikes are stolen, or drugs or drunkeness ? If everything is in order, these checkpoints allow you on your way in seconds. If anyone has been fined then there was likely a reason for it so have never understood the aggro about these check points. It is unclear just how the policeman was hit by the bike but, yes, if he was standing out in the road that is not ideal procedure.

He did get his facts straight... I have seen it many times, with the cash fine being 10k up

So, a policeman doing his job gets run down by a drunk and some here feel somehow the police are at fault due to pure greed and not a legitimate reason like checking licences, whether bikes are stolen, or drugs or drunkeness ? If everything is in order, these checkpoints allow you on your way in seconds. If anyone has been fined then there was likely a reason for it so have never understood the aggro about these check points. It is unclear just how the policeman was hit by the bike but, yes, if he was standing out in the road that is not ideal procedure.

Sadly, there is little respect here for the police. And for good reason. But you are right, that doesn't justify somebody being hurt.

As far as the checkpoints go, they are just cash machines. If it was done properly, payment would only be made at the police station (potentially electronically also, for tracking purposes), a ticket would be issued and recorded on your record, your insurance would go up, and the next time you violated a law, your license would potentially be suspended and a larger fine handed out, with a potential stay in the jail. Now, you are allowed to repeat the infraction and make a payment again the next day. Continued on, and on, and on. A cash machine.

They do seem like they are starting to really crack down on drunk driving. Which is great. But they need to take the game to the next level. Don't do this just for money. As we saw in the traffic fatality stats over the holidays, their efforts didn't help road safety.

Nobody should be riding around while drunk, and the idiot deserves harsh legal punishment. I hope the officer recovers completely, but I have to wonder how serious a broken ankle can be. Could it really prevent this man from continuing to work for the police?

"The young Police Officers career is now in-the-balance depending on how he recovers from the ankle injury."

What about the head and other upper body injuries? Perhaps they were not as serious as the ankle. A badly compound-fractured ankle could easily keep you out of the force. Another badly crafted news item

Edited by The Deerhunter

Depending on how his ankle heals will effect his future career, would that not be head injury?

Then I think it a bit stupid to stand in front of bike to try to stop it, maybe they could deploy spikes .

Hope he recovers fully.

obviously you have never been involved with a road side check, why not just shoot everybody as they approach

Pattaya sounds nice.

Psst boys?

You station one policeman AFTER the checkpoint, down the road a little way (before the next street) with a radio.

You station one policeman BEFORE the checkpoint, to catch people doing a U-turn, with a radio.

You have 3 policeman at the checkpoint. 2 in the road. 1 policeman at the Base Station/Checkpoint on a motorbike or car with a radio.

If some drunk does a U-turn, the BEFORE cop goes after him. The policeman at the Checkpoint is BACKUP and joins the BEFORE police at the intercept point.

If some drunk goes through the checkpoint, step back. Let him through. Call the AFTER policeman on the radio and alert him. Then have the BACKUP join him soon after.

See? A total of 5 policeman can get-it-done.

Ha.

Edited by SiSePuede419

@craig

My point is that regardless where the money goes, there would be no money necessary to pay if you have a licence, your vehicle is properly taxed, you have a helmet on a bike, you are not drunk or carrying drugs etc. We can all compare things to our home countries' ways of doing things but if you do that please include the fact that in many countries you would be jailed, pay far heavier fines, lose a licence etc. etc. People get away with a lot here then bitch about the comparatively minor consequences.

He did get his facts straight... I have seen it many times, with the cash fine being 10k up

It's gonna be lot more than 10k, more like 50k the RTP will hav a field day with this Ruski.

Pattaya sounds nice.

Psst boys?

You station one policeman AFTER the checkpoint, down the road a little way (before the next street) with a radio.

You station one policeman BEFORE the checkpoint, to catch people doing a U-turn, with a radio.

You have 3 policeman at the checkpoint. 2 in the road. 1 policeman at the Base Station/Checkpoint on a motorbike or car with a radio.

If some drunk does a U-turn, the BEFORE cop goes after him. The policeman at the Checkpoint is BACKUP and joins the BEFORE police at the intercept point.

If some drunk goes through the checkpoint, step back. Let him through. Call the AFTER policeman on the radio and alert him. Then have the BACKUP join him soon after.

Ha.

Yes but thats only 40 baht each then, Hardly worth all the effort.

Pattaya sounds nice.

Psst boys?

Ha.

They do this all the time. Saw it just a few weeks ago. Policeman down the road hiding. I've seen it in reverse also. Got snagged this way last year. My passenger didn't have his seat belt on. 400B on the spot bribe to keep going. But yes, we were breaking the law.

@craig

My point is that regardless where the money goes, there would be no money necessary to pay if you have a licence, your vehicle is properly taxed, you have a helmet on a bike, you are not drunk or carrying drugs etc. We can all compare things to our home countries' ways of doing things but if you do that please include the fact that in many countries you would be jailed, pay far heavier fines, lose a licence etc. etc. People get away with a lot here then bitch about the comparatively minor consequences.

Most of the time you are right. But these infractions should be recorded and future infractions should warrant a stiffer penalty. Not just a bit of money under the table that goes into someones pocket. That dissuades people from committing the same offense. 40B is hardly a deterrent for wearing your helmet tomorrow. I was driving home last night around 8PM. Scooter cut in front of us on Sukhumvit, right next to the police station. No helmet, no tail light. It was another close call.

Just last week, a friend got a ticket for not having his green book on him while riding his scooter. He argued a copy was fine. The policeman at the station agreed, but since the ticket was already written, still have to pay. But they did give him a discount. 200B instead of 400B. LOL

I've no sympathy for those who are not up to snuff when it comes to the rules here. But if something is to be done regarding road safety, there has to be more than random checkpoints and small backhanders. Thailand is recorded as being one of the most dangerous countries in the world with regards to road safety. I'd hate to think of how many people I know who've been hit by bad/drunk drivers. Something needs to be done. And it's a big job.

100% agree with what you said....

The general opinion is Russian tourists act like uncontrolled animals, but jump in front of a speeding bike to shake down 200 baht is also not a good idea.

Perhaps the police patrol were out there at 4am to catch drunk drivers as there wouldn't be enough customers for a 200 baht "fine" at that time of the morning.