Hua Hin to Krabi by road

federico

rent a car and drive there. about 7 hours. you would need a car in Krabi because there are so many nice places to visit.

Hahaha

More like 10-12 hours

MIN

it takes me 9 +hours phuket-Hua Hin

You could take the bus to Hat yai an get off or the bus direct to Krabi ( am sure there is one)

rent a car and drive there. about 7 hours. you would need a car in Krabi because there are so many nice places to visit.

Hahaha

More like 10-12 hours

MIN

You could take the bus to Hat yai an get off or the bus direct to Krabi ( am sure there is one)

Yes... so Hua Hin to Phuket 9 hrs... Krabi is 3ish hours closer so 7 hours is about right.

Untitled.tiff

Use the 4 road to Chumpon

Change to the 401 until you are past Surat Thani

Change to the 44 to Ao Luk

Then the 4 to Krabi.

Should be about 8 hours solid driving.

With kids allow an extra couple of hours for stops.

Many GPS try to keep you on the 401 but the road is crap and twisty.

Have you ever driven here ? Maybe Somalia ?

I came through maybe 4 months back and after petchuap kirikhan the road was being torn up until Surat. It's was a nightmare. You will have contra flows sprung in you without any cones or warnings, amongst other distractions.

If your up for it, hire a car, and take the 401 across, it's a nice drive. Stop at Cheiw larn for the night on a raft.

if not get a tourist bus from HH. Any travel agent will hook you up, there's no need to come all the way to Hat Yai, just to ride 4 hours back the other way.

The buses will go to Surat Thani, from there you will be shepherded into a Krabi bus. It takes some time, but safer than driving.

Hahaha

More like 10-12 hours

MIN

No way it takes 10 ... especially not 12 ... hours to drive HH to Krabi.

Thanks to all for your replies, i will give back the rental car and we will go by bus, following your wise advices.

Cheers

Fred

Not sure it is wise advice to take a bus!! Just a quick google search about bus crashes in Thailand should be enough to put that idea to rest... I always drive if I have the choice, sure the roads are dangerous but at least you are in control to some extent.

HH to Surat should take you approx 6-7 hrs, steady driving. From Surat to Krabi is another 2-3hrs if you use the Southern Seaboard. This is allowing for toilet breaks etc.

Hello, I just drove this route today.

started on 22January going from Ko Lanta to Surat Thani, took 4hours(3hours effective driving. Sleept in Surat thani one night went to Chumphon on 23rd took 2hours sleept one night went to Bang saphan(Baan grood/Baankrut) on 24rd. Took 2 hours. And today drove to Hua hin took 2 hours. Alot of road work going on and seeing I'm driving a honda brio fully packed with stuff and wife and baby I had to slow down to around 80-90km/h to dodge all the shitty potholes.

All in all if you are not 90% focused when driving in Thailand it's easy a accident happens and always drive VERY defensive. People driving here can do any possible move.

however was a alright drive nice to break it down in small pieces.

Thanks to all for your replies, i will give back the rental car and we will go by bus, following your wise advices.

Cheers

Fred

fred,

yes best idea. cheaper than car to go by bus then you can relax and hire a car to get around in Krabi.