"Abandoning" a retirement visa and applying for a new one

I did a search and had a look and I couldn't see an answer to this question.

Is there anything stopping someone using a retirement visa, squeezing the thick end of two years out of it, and then re-applying from (say) the UK by going through the whole rigmarole again?

Leaving aside the wisdom of this, is it allowed?

Yes, obtaining serial O-A visas is possible and some do it.

Each application is a separate thing and if you qualify, no reason you can't keep doing that indefinitely.

O-A visas are obtained in home countries.

Why you want to do it that way is your business.

Next ...

• Like 2

Each application is a separate thing and if you qualify, no reason you can't keep doing that indefinitely.

Next ...

And apparently in Bangkok, according to USA and UK Thai consular websites.

Next ...

O-A Visa is only available in your own country, not in Bangkok.

• Like 1

Next ...

Not sure to what you are referring, but you are probably confusing a visa with an extension of stay. The latter is not a visa. Under certain conditions you can apply for a conversion from, for example, a tourist visa entry to a non-imm O entry (not O-A) at immigrations in Bangkok as a first step towards getting an extension of stay based on retirement (again, it is not a visa and not really what the O/P was asking about).

O-A visas can only be obtained at a Thai embassy or consulate in your home country or, in some cases, a country in which you have legal residence status.

Edited by Suradit69
  • Like 1

Next ...

Not according to the websites I mentioned... did you check?

Source 1.

1. Applicants can submit their applications at the Royal Thai Embassy or Royal Consulates in UK and

Ireland. Or

2. The Office of the Immigration Bureau, Section 1, Sub-Division 1, Immigration Bureau,

Soi Suan Plu, off South Sathorn Road, Sathon District, Bangkok 10120. Tel. 0066-22873101-10 Ext.2236

Source 2.

3. Channels to submit application

Applicant may submit their application at the Royal Thai embassy or Royal Thai Consulate-General in their home/residence country or at the Office of the Immigration Bureau in Thailand located onGovernment Center B, Chaengwattana Soi 7, Laksi, Bangkok 10210, Tel 0-2141-9889.

Edited by jacko45k

Each year I obtain a new non imm o-a multi entry visa from my home country prior to coming to Thailand without any issues. And actually I think it may even get a bit easier because I have learned precisely what is needed in the forms of documents and am always serviced by the same person at the Royal Thai Consulate in Los Angeles.

• Like 1

Next ...

Source 1.

1. Applicants can submit their applications at the Royal Thai Embassy or Royal Consulates in UK and

Ireland. Or

2. The Office of the Immigration Bureau, Section 1, Sub-Division 1, Immigration Bureau,

Soi Suan Plu, off South Sathorn Road, Sathon District, Bangkok 10120. Tel. 0066-22873101-10 Ext.2236

Source 2.

Applicant may submit their application at the Royal Thai embassy or Royal Thai Consulate-General in their home/residence country or at the Office of the Immigration Bureau in Thailand located onGovernment Center B, Chaengwattana Soi 7, Laksi, Bangkok 10210, Tel 0-2141-9889.

That applies to Long Stay (extension of stay) which in the case of O-A is pre-approved (that is the meaning of the "A"). In Bangkok you would have to obtain an extension of stay from a non immigrant visa entry. Different things but both allow up to one year stay from date of entry - but in the case of O-A you can get a new one year stay from each entry - not so with immigration issued extension.

• Like 1

Source 1.

Ireland. Or

Source 2.

That applies to Long Stay (extension of stay) which in the case of O-A is pre-approved (that is the meaning of the "A"). In Bangkok you would have to obtain an extension of stay from a non immigrant visa entry. Different things but both allow up to one year stay from date of entry - but in the case of O-A you can get a new one year stay from each entry - not so with immigration issued extension.

I have read that quite a number of times now and am still somewhat confused..... not really pertinent to the OP though.

I hate to disagree with such knowledgeable people on here,but O/A visas are easily obtained here.it all depends upon who you know.i have several friends who have come here on a tourist visa,and after greasing a few palms, have got 15 months .Obtaining a O/A visa for 3months and then straight on to a retirement visa.And they never left the country.

just saying.

• Like 1

Source 1.

Ireland. Or

Source 2.

I have read that quite a number of times now and am still somewhat confused..... not really pertinent to the OP though.

The original type O-A VISA needs to be ISSUED at the Thai embassy in the applicants home country or country of residence if applicable. The EXTENSION of a pre-existing type O visa can be applied for in Thailand at either Chaengwattana or Suan Plu.

Edited by NanLaew
  • Like 1

I hate to disagree with such knowledgeable people on here,but O/A visas are easily obtained here.it all depends upon who you know.i have several friends who have come here on a tourist visa,and after greasing a few palms, have got 15 months .Obtaining a O/A visa for 3months and then straight on to a retirement visa.And they never left the country.

just saying.

I don't think so.

What they probably obtained was a Non Imm O Visa followed by a 12 month extension of stay.

All quite legal so no greasing of palms required.

Edited by Eclipse
  • Like 1

just saying.

Extensions of stay for retirement are issued by Immigration inside Thailand - not non immigrant O-A visas. Different things. If doing the conversion you obtain a non immigrant O entry stamp (not an O-A visa) valid for a 90 day stay and then obtain a one year extension of stay for retirement (not a visa) for stay in Thailand - and if you want to travel you must also obtain re-entry permit(s).

just saying.

Yes Dave. And just like any other area in Thailand where farangs congregate, KK probably has a pool of low-income, long-term stayers on either marriage or retirement extensions that use agents, other peoples money and an extra few thousand baht for the Immigration officer to maintain their legal status in Thailand... illegally.

The OP is all about doing stuff legally.

Dave is also posting about totally legal practises. He just failed to understand the process.

just saying.

Yes Dave. And just like any other area in Thailand where farangs congregate, KK probably has a pool of low-income, long-term stayers on either marriage or retirement extensions that use agents, other peoples money and an extra few thousand baht for the Immigration officer to maintain their legal status in Thailand... illegally.

The OP is all about doing stuff legally.

Dave is also posting about totally legal practises. He just failed to understand the process.

Sorry, I equated his 'greasing a few palms' as doing something under the table whereas in reality, they paid a legitimate fee for getting an extension that they were already qualified for.

• Like 2

Source 1.

Ireland. Or

Source 2.

The original type O-A VISA needs to be ISSUED at the Thai embassy in the applicants home country or country of residence if applicable. The EXTENSION of a pre-existing type O visa can be applied for in Thailand at either Chaengwattana or Suan Plu.

The explanation prior to your edit actually made sense to me, now it doesn't I am afraid. The embassy quotes are specifically discussing Visas and O-A type applications.

The fee for immigration conversion of entry to non immigrant for retirement is 2,000 baht and the fee for extension is 1,900 baht and the fee for re-entry is 1,000 each or 3,800 baht for multi. There may be additional payments required for paperwork/copies.

As for O-A and immigration extensions of stay these are two different government departments and do not always agree on terms.

MFA (Consular Officers) can issue visas to include the combined O-A ("A" being a preapproved immigration extension of stay for one year on each entry).

Immigration can change type of entry to non-immigrant O and then do normal one year extension of stay.

whistling.gif Yes it happens.

Often the original "retirement visa/extension" can not be extended for another year....because of lack of the required funds for some reason to make the required 800K for another years annual extension.

That means you have to start the whole retirement "visa" process over again.

Like a boxer knocked down, you just get back up before you are counted out and get back in to the fight.

Nothing illegal there, the fight just goes on.

Edited by IMA_FARANG

The op had his answer early on. He had his reasons. For some it makes perfect sense. Personally I'm I go back to Australia minimum once a year. You can mail application for OA.I exit los every couple of weeks. OA is multiple entry. Can't obtain non O retirement in au.

• Like 1

My non oa visa wasn't exactly cheap or easy in my home country of Australia, especially having to pay a public notary ( fancy solicitor ) to stamp the papers. Now that I have the visa I think it would be cheaper for me to keep it going by providing the letter of income from the embassy here in Thailand and paying immigration for the extension or am I wrong in saying that ?

My non oa visa wasn't exactly cheap or easy in my home country of Australia, especially having to pay a public notary ( fancy solicitor ) to stamp the papers. Now that I have the visa I think it would be cheaper for me to keep it going by providing the letter of income from the embassy here in Thailand and paying immigration for the extension or am I wrong in saying that ?

You are are correct.

Being able to prove your income to apply for an extension based upon retirement is much simpler than getting a OA visa.

I would guess the main reason people choose the OA visa is because they don't want to put money in the bank here to get the extension.

For most people extending yearly in Thailand is more cost effective - but remember the O-A can provide up to 2 years of stay and one year of that free entry/exit. So those that travel a lot and have doctor that does not charge too much for medical and visit home country on occasions may find it their choice.

My non oa visa wasn't exactly cheap or eaccepted my home country of Australia, especially having to pay a public notary ( fancy solicitor ) to stamp the papers. Now that I have the visa I think it would be cheaper for me to keep it going by providing the letter of income from the embassy here in Thailand and paying immigration for the extension or am I wrong in saying that ?

You are correct. Just do your 12 month extensions. Obtain reentry permit if you need to exit los.

As for the OA up until 12 months ago you could use JP. Service is free. Unaware if this has stopped being accepted

Edited by jacksam

You are are correct.

Being able to prove your income to apply for an extension based upon retirement is much simpler than getting a OA visa.

I would guess the main reason people choose the OA visa is because they don't want to put money in the bank here to get the extension.

I would disagree - it depends on where one obtains the non imm o-a multi entry visa. I have no problems getting a new one each year and don't seem to face some of the costs that you mentioned.

Thank you for correcting me.As i said,i do not wish to disagree with those more knowledgeable than i.But these people are in Pattaya and Phuket.They've been here for a long time,some for years.And most of them are not skint.However,i bend to the op's who do everything legally.But legal or not legal,these guy's obtained their visa's and are still here. Obviously they are not following the legal path(for whatever reason's,best known to them)but spending the money(what ever it is) would appear not to seem a problem for them.I suppose it's a case of 'Any way you can"

Thanx again

KKD

P.S. I have not been living here for very long and have not joined the Ferang community here,so i do not know of anyone here who has gone down the path of which i speak,low paid,low on fund's.legal or not.

KKD

The almost "two years" originally referred to, that seems to have generated confusion, is probably the original poster's obtaining a reentry permit near the end of his enter before date.

Multiple O-A's have accomodated me, among other particulars, for extensive periods back in the USA and I have done so my entire retirement here so far with only ever having to make one trip to the Suan Plu office,