Major Fail @ Chon Buri Immigration Today for Change of Visa TM 86

Whether or not a landlord requires a work permit is moot. The landlord should at least have a tax ID and submit tax returns on the income. Maybe confirmation that the landlord is registered with the Revenue Department might be sufficient.

The same problem was reported today at Pattaya. Report.

House would be in company name if foreign owned. Why does owner need tax ID ?

OP - I had a friend with the same issue. He went to the bookshop at Central and bought a copy of the one page lease that Thais use. He got his girlfriend to write her name as the landlord and he signed as tenant.

Problem solved for 20 Baht.

Fraud, innit?

Fight like with like.

• Like 1

Perhaps this would be a case where paying an immigration "fixer" a processing fee to get this application through. I don't mean a bribe, I mean one of the visa services that have ways of doing things that mere mortals can't.

Do you seriously believe that using any of these "fixer" services does not involve a bribe being paid to obtain the desired result?

The whole point of these services is that they pay the bribe for you.

I considered the Visa services but thought the 25,000 baht fee was rather rich.

I could rent out another place to stay for that amount easily.

I used Assist Thai Visa service in Chiang Mai for my visa change and it was more like 5k all in.

• Like 1

Whether or not a landlord requires a work permit is moot. The landlord should at least have a tax ID and submit tax returns on the income. Maybe confirmation that the landlord is registered with the Revenue Department might be sufficient.

The OP is renting a Condo not a house and a Condo can be owned by an individual foreigner. The landlord is getting an income from letting the property and should be registered with the Revenue Department and paying any tax due.

p.s. A foreigner can also own a house but not the land it sits on.

Edited by elviajero
  • Like 1

Also - regarding the condo owner - did he complete the form and register the new tenant at immigration. If he did that without being asked for a work permit, copies of that registration would possibly have fixed the issue.

Meantime - have a nice time in Vientiane and get the non-O as ubonjoe suggested, then you're only extending, but be aware that even for extensions you need proof of where you live,,,,,,,,

• Like 1

My pension (UK GOV)does not meet the 40,000Baht per month requiredso I have to find another way to stay here with my spouse.So what is the monthly salary of the average Thai worker in regular employment ?Less than 40,000 I would say so I think I could suvive on less than 30,000.Wonder just who sets thee figures?!!!

• Like 1

The OP is renting a Condo not a house and a Condo can be owned by an individual foreigner. The landlord is getting an income from letting the property and should be registered with the Revenue Department and paying any tax due.

My bad. I missed the condo bit.

p.s How does the foreigner rent the house that sits on land he cannot own.... unless of course it was all in a company name thumbsup.gif.

Edited by Don Mega

My bad. I missed the condo bit.

p.s How does the foreigner rent the house that sits on land he cannot own.... unless of course it was all in a company name thumbsup.gif.

They own the house and rent the land it sits on. This type of ownership is commonly known as leasehold. Not ideal or suitable for many but possible nonetheless.

Why would any landlord who owns a condo ( one) for rent; get a tax number ? I'm not saying that it isn't a law. I'm saying that no one( 99 %)

does. Thai or Farang. in any country.

Perception of last several months is that Jomtien immigration is throwing any and all roadblocks they can find in the way of getting first time retirement visa applicants to use visa services. Go by office at night and see midnight oil being burnt. I wonder what they are doing up there? Hmmm far be it from me to guess.

like the idea of guest house for 1 week. Be sure to give them change of address after you get visa when you go back to condo. So glad the PM is cracking down on corruption, btw.

• Like 1

Why would any landlord who owns a condo ( one) for rent; get a tax number ? I'm not saying that it isn't a law. I'm saying that no one( 99 %)

does. Thai or Farang. in any country.

I think you'll find that more than 1% of the worlds landlords follow the law and don't evade tax. I wonder where you get that little gem of a fact from?

All I was saying to the OP was that if the landlord is registered with the tax man evidence of that might satisfy immigration, who I assume want evidence that the landlord is in someway legal.

Perhaps this would be a case where paying an immigration "fixer" a processing fee to get this application through. I don't mean a bribe, I mean one of the visa services that have ways of doing things that mere mortals can't.

Do you seriously believe that using any of these "fixer" services does not involve a bribe being paid to obtain the desired result?

I doubt that a bribe is involved. A visa service will be visiting immigration almost every day. They know the people at immigration and the people at immigration know them. And they know what immigration needs and how to talk to them if a problem arises. And they save immigration time. Relationships are important everywhere. Though 25,000 Baht is really steep. I've been using a service for years for just for convenience, but it's about half that price.

• Like 1

I doubt that a bribe is involved. A visa service will be visiting immigration almost every day. They know the people at immigration and the people at immigration know them. And they know what immigration needs and how to talk to them if a problem arises. And they save immigration time. Relationships are important everywhere. Though 25,000 Baht is really steep. I've been using a service for years for just for convenience, but it's about half that price.

I'm sure no bribes are paid. They prefer to call it a facilitation fee. whistling.gif

Explain how anybody over 50 can get a visa service to prove they've got 800k of seasoned money in their bank account the day before the visa is due for extension.

The bank employee gets a facilitation fee, as does the immigration employee. It's how things work here. End of. coffee1.gif

• Like 2

I got quoted 25,000 as well....told them a friend of mine paid 19k, they then quoted me 20K....but l still think l will have a crack of doing it the legitimate way, in case Visa's issued under that particular Agents banner are considered void and all of a sudden l am considered an overstay (not sure what the chances of that ever happening are)........mind you l wonder what percentage of non O extensions based on retirement are done with "short cuts" by "Agents" ?

Whole system stinks.....but guess l will have to get use to it if l intend to live here.

I considered Bangkok also, but also wondered if they're requiring the same for proof of residence. It's very possible this is a directive from above as the Jomtien office won't budge from it.

I can get another tourist visa so that's what I'll do.

Bangkok does not ask for the same thing because they have people coming from all over the country to a apply for the change.

Just go up and a spend the night so that you can put a Bangkok address on the application form. If you used your Pattaya address they would turn you away and tell you to go to Jomtien.

What kind of proof of address is Bangkok requiring? Where is the immigration office?

Thanks

I considered Bangkok also, but also wondered if they're requiring the same for proof of residence. It's very possible this is a directive from above as the Jomtien office won't budge from it.

Bangkok does not ask for the same thing because they have people coming from all over the country to a apply for the change.

Just go up and a spend the night so that you can put a Bangkok address on the application form. If you used your Pattaya address they would turn you away and tell you to go to Jomtien.

What kind of proof of address is Bangkok requiring? Where is the immigration office?

Thanks

For a change of visa status they don't normally ask for proof of residence because people from all over the country can apply there. That is where the application would be sent for approval if you were able to apply in Jomtien. You will need to make two trips to Bangkok to get the visa entry/stamps.

Map and info on how to get there is here. http://bangkok.immigration.go.th/en/location1.html

Thank you the invaluable information.

Why two trips?

Thanks

For a change of visa status they don't normally ask for proof of residence because people from all over the country can apply there. That is where the application would be sent for approval if you were able to apply in Jomtien. You will need to make two trips to Bangkok to get the visa entry/stamps.

Map and info on how to get there is here. http://bangkok.immigration.go.th/en/location1.html

Why two trips?

Thanks

It takes about two weeks to get the approval of the application. It is the same or longer if you were able to apply at Jomtien.

Ouch, my extension on the setv is only good through the 28th.

I guess Vientiane is probably my best option then.

Thanks for the information, saved me a lot of time and grief.

Why two trips?

Thanks

It takes about two weeks to get the approval of the application. It is the same or longer if you were able to apply at Jomtien.

Um......Pattaya and Chonburi Immigration are one and the same. So is Jomtien Immigration. coffee1.gif

Not quite. Chonburi Immigration is the province which has 2 offices, Jomtien and Sri Ratcha.

Pattaya Immigration was behind the Sailor Bar in Soi 8, Pattaya. It closed and a new office was opened in Jomtien.

Um......Pattaya and Chonburi Immigration are one and the same. So is Jomtien Immigration. coffee1.gif

Not quite. Chonburi Immigration is the province which has 2 offices, Jomtien and Sri Ratcha.

Pattaya Immigration was behind the Sailor Bar in Soi 8, Pattaya. It closed and a new office was opened in Jomtien.

The official name for the office in Jomtien is Chonburi Immigration. So he was correct.

The official name for the office in Jomtien is Chonburi Immigration. So he was correct.

I did make a mistake, there are 3 offices for Chonburi Immigration.

Immigration Pattaya, Immigration SriRatcha and Immigration Sichang.

It would appear that the subtleties of the English language are in question.

It is up to the individual whether you believe Pattaya to be the Chonburi Immigration office or a Chonburi Immigration office. If it is the latter then they cannot be the same as only the former is definitive.('the' being the definite article.)

The title of the thread would suggest that the OP thinks Pattaya is the Chonburi Immigration office.

To be honest, the immigration office in Jomtien is the only one I've been to. All the signs pointing to and on the building say Chon Buri Immigration, so that's what I called it.

Maybe I should have posted "Major Fail @ Chon Buri Immigration in Jomtien* Today for Change of Visa TM 86".

Since I was unaware that there are three immigration offices in Chon Buri, the original subject line was posted in the OP. My landlord tells me there's even an immigration office in Rayong that I didn't know about either. Guess I don't get out much :-).

It would appear that the subtleties of the English language are in question.

It is up to the individual whether you believe Pattaya to be the Chonburi Immigration office or a Chonburi Immigration office. If it is the latter then they cannot be the same as only the former is definitive.('the' being the definite article.)

The title of the thread would suggest that the OP thinks Pattaya is the Chonburi Immigration office.

Edited by Roger Lee