Vegan Food

clifric

My niece is coming to stay on 16th Feb and she informs me she is vegan. Whilst I can establish what vegans eat and do not eat, there is always the problem that some processes introduce substances that are not acceptable to vegans. Thai food labels are unreadable as far as I am concerned and often those printed in English are covered up by Thai language labelsd.

Does anybody know of a shop where vegan suitable products are sold?

I cook my own stuff using Gopi Patel's recipes (werecipes.com - Gujarati) - all of the ingredients can be bought here in Makro - it's basically beans/lentils and rice/chapati, tomato and spices and some vegetable dishes. A lot of the recipes recommend the use of a pressure cooker but if you don't have one it's just a longer cooking time.

Thanks Piers - I'll have to pop round to Makro - maybe in Hua Hin if our Pranburi stores doesn't have all of that.

Asafetida (Hing powder), I forgot to mention, seems unavailable although possibly can be found in Villa although you can omit it; canned Butter Beans (an easy option) are usually available in Big C (Market), fiamma (Italian) brand. For clarified butter you can use oil, I use Emerald from Big C (Market).

Edited by piersbeckett

Hi, this link shows the Thai symbol for vegan food -

https://www.google.co.th/search?q=vegan+symbol+thailand&biw=1920&bih=973&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwj55Mjz1fjKAhVWBI4KHdoBD3cQsAQIIQ.

On most shelves/products in Tesco and other supermarkets they use this sign to advertise vegan food. There is a vegan street shop in Railway road and between Makro and villa market you should get sorted. Also goggle it there are many articles about vegan food and tips about it.

There's a vegan restaurant right at the top of the night market in Hua Hin. It is directly across the road from the Railway Bar, you can't miss it as its bright yellow.

I'm not veggie myself so cannot help with the specifics, but I'm sure the people in the restaurant will have all the info. Obviously return the favour with a visit when your niece is in town.

There's a vegan restaurant right at the top of the night market in Hua Hin. It is directly across the road from the Railway Bar, you can't miss it as its bright yellow.

I'm not veggie myself so cannot help with the specifics, but I'm sure the people in the restaurant will have all the info. Obviously return the favour with a visit when your niece is in town.

There's one opposite this as well which is a buffet, and I've found the lady that runs it makes the food a bit less spicy than the other one. They give you a plate of rice and you fill the rest up from a selection of dishes on the table. Its good quality and cheap.

My girl friend had a dog when we first met. She would tell me the dog only ate one type of canned dog food. It was very expensive; and smelled up my refrigerator. So I bought dry food. I put it in the bowl; and the dog would not eat it. My GF cooked a chicken and tried to feed the dog.( which I stopped). The dog did not eat for 2 days. GF crying ! Then on the third day the dog ate the food. Now no problems. Save money and no bad smell in the refrigerator. Vegan Food, think about it !

there are 2 vegan restaurants in the night market street. ( near chatsila)- but open only in the day time. these are thai chinese restaurants and they offer Jey food- which is vegan

cheap and tasty.

and if she is vegan i bet she can cook vegetables... yes? i am vegan, and never had problems eating out.

if you go to restaurant make sure you tell the waiter that you do not eat this and that. and then repeat it few tines and they will get it right