More than five dozen helmet-less drivers arrested in Phuket

rooster59

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is definitely a step in the right direction.

The one problem I see, however, is that mixed messages are being sent to riders. That is, helmets are required when riding a motorbike, but you will only have a problem if you encounter a roadblock. Just yesterday, I saw several helmet-less riders pass policemen riding a motorbike on patrol. The policemen didn't even bat an eye. It's a well-known fact (at least in Patong, and I suspect most of Phuket) that the police will not enforce moving violations (running red lights, not stopping for pedestrians in crosswalks, driving on the wrong side of the road, etc). Traffic regulations are only enforced via roadblocks, so most locals just continue to ignore the regulations unless they think they will encounter a roadblock (which always are setup in locations that are well-known).

Instructing the police to issue citations whenever they see a violation would go a long way toward encouraging compliance with regulations. But that would require them to get off their motorbike and do some work.

"Just yesterday, I saw several helmet-less riders pass policemen riding a motorbike on patrol. The policemen didn't even bat an eye".

Agreed, these cops are just plain lazy. Just a couple of days ago I was in my car and stopped at traffic lights in Phuket town and in front of me at the head of the traffic queue were a couple of motorbikes each with two cops on, and pulled up right alongside of them were at least four motorbike drivers not wearing helmets and they were sitting just about side-by-side.

Would have been the easiest thing in the world to have gotten off the motorbike and done something about it, but no, they just ignored these drivers as if they weren't there – – just plain lazy, stupid and incompetent.

And as if to add insult to injury, I counted more than 20 helmetless motorbike riders along Nanai Road, in less than a few minutes, so the crackdown is nothing more than a sham.

This is definitely a step in the right direction.

The one problem I see, however, is that mixed messages are being sent to riders. That is, helmets are required when riding a motorbike, but you will only have a problem if you encounter a roadblock. Just yesterday, I saw several helmet-less riders pass policemen riding a motorbike on patrol. The policemen didn't even bat an eye. It's a well-known fact (at least in Patong, and I suspect most of Phuket) that the police will not enforce moving violations (running red lights, not stopping for pedestrians in crosswalks, driving on the wrong side of the road, etc). Traffic regulations are only enforced via roadblocks, so most locals just continue to ignore the regulations unless they think they will encounter a roadblock (which always are setup in locations that are well-known).

Instructing the police to issue citations whenever they see a violation would go a long way toward encouraging compliance with regulations. But that would require them to get off their motorbike and do some work.

"Just yesterday, I saw several helmet-less riders pass policemen riding a motorbike on patrol. The policemen didn't even bat an eye".

Agreed, these cops are just plain lazy. Just a couple of days ago I was in my car and stopped at traffic lights in Phuket town and in front of me at the head of the traffic queue were a couple of motorbikes each with two cops on, and pulled up right alongside of them were at least four motorbike drivers not wearing helmets and they were sitting just about side-by-side.

Would have been the easiest thing in the world to have gotten off the motorbike and done something about it, but no, they just ignored these drivers as if they weren't there – – just plain lazy, stupid and incompetent.

And as if to add insult to injury, I counted more than 20 helmetless motorbike riders along Nanai Road, in less than a few minutes, so the crackdown is nothing more than a sham.

Addendum: Today I counted 40 helmetless motorbike drivers in under 4 minutes on Nanai road........so much for the efforts of the BIB. Pathetic.

Addendum: Today I counted 40 helmetless motorbike drivers in under 4 minutes on Nanai road........so much for the efforts of the BIB. Pathetic.

To be fair ... the BiB have regularily set-up a check-point at the bottom of Nanai 9 over the past 2 months, some times moving a few hundred meters further south before the Karon/new oad junction.

But they are so predictable as they knock off before noon for a 2 hour lunch break then finish by 16.00.

To be fair ... the BiB have regularily set-up a check-point at the bottom of Nanai 9 over the past 2 months, some times moving a few hundred meters further south before the Karon/new oad junction.

But they are so predictable as they knock off before noon for a 2 hour lunch break then finish by 16.00.

Yesterday on the hill coming from Karon. I even saw a tuktuk driver being checked.

Edited by stevenl

Surely you jest??

The news item said that the BIB made 64 arrests in the first week..............I'm saying that they could have achieved that in 10 minutes on Nanai.

Simple really: first up fine of 500 or 1000 baht, photo of licence plate taken along with licence.Second offence, 1000 baht fine and motorbike confiscated for a week/month.

That will stop this nonsense.

Can Bangkok expect the same, I wonder? And if they're going to get that serious about drivers' lives, perhaps they should get at least equally serious about those of pedestrians ... and take similar action with pavement-riding m'cyclists.

But '... purchase a 99-baht helmet ...' Seriously? What's it made of? Papier mache? Do the authorities really think a $3.00 helmet will be up to the job?

The 99B hat is just a legality , but I think that post 42 is the best idea of all. Police check point ,no hat and a fine of 200B where you are given a crash hat. Most Thai would likely then go off down the road and then put the hat in the front basket but a few might just wear it. All ferlung should be fine 1000B most likely where they came from it would be compulsory to wear one and riding over here is so much more dangerous.

'... most likely where they came from it would be compulsory to wear one ...' Er, it's compulsory to wear one in Thailand. Why do you suppose the BiB decided to put in some work?

The 99B hat is just a legality , but I think that post 42 is the best idea of all. Police check point ,no hat and a fine of 200B where you are given a crash hat. Most Thai would likely then go off down the road and then put the hat in the front basket but a few might just wear it. All ferlung should be fine 1000B most likely where they came from it would be compulsory to wear one and riding over here is so much more dangerous.

'... most likely where they came from it would be compulsory to wear one ...' Er, it's compulsory to wear one in Thailand. Why do you suppose the BiB decided to put in some work?

I agree but when the ferlung see locals not wearing hats they think they don't need to. I was riding bikes in England when it became compulsory to wear a hat and I still do wear one .

This whole campaign is just a joke ...

Today at about 11.15 there was a police check point on the Karon Road into Patong just after the Simon place. 2 farang guys behind me with no helmets just breezed though the check-point without a look from police who looked like they were waiting for the lunch hours. I saw many others with no helmets .... total joke

This whole campaign is just a joke ...

Today at about 11.15 there was a police check point on the Karon Road into Patong just after the Simon place. 2 farang guys behind me with no helmets just breezed though the check-point without a look from police who looked like they were waiting for the lunch hours. I saw many others with no helmets .... total joke

Of course the campaign is a joke, as with everything Thai police is involved with, because if one takes position on any main road in Phuket he will have seen more than 5 dozen helmet-less riders between 2 eye blimps.

Edited by TheCruncher

Just a typical Thai lady with bikini top under a wrap. Clearly photo taken to show a bit of clevage.

It's cleavage Living in Kata ( pedantry isn't dead), and gravity is working on that pair..

Still in all, I'd give it a shot or two..

signed,

the middle ground

In Samui (at least) most tourists do not wear helmet, even though in their own countries they would be stopped by the police in matter of minutes.

A couple of Westerners with a young child on the front, also without helmet can be seen daily too!

tongue.png

Maybe some beautiful quality photos about these farang post on Facebook and other social medias will have a good effect if seen by relatives or police in their countries ? whistling.gif

Edited by Assurancetourix

yes and named brand helmets, shoei,shark etc, etc, are not type approved,but a paper mache' helmet is.so was wondering if one had and accident wearing a non approved helmet could this invalidate any claim, as insurance companies, like to weasel out of any claim if they can

Yu can buy helmets today, which are Thai approved and cover ECE 22-05 as well, REAL helmets i.e..