TM30 Experience

CMBob

41 minutes ago, CMBob said:

You may be right but I'm not so sure.  I don't see where he said that the TM30 was done within 24 hours of arrival in CM.  What I do see is that he said that he had an outfit (we might not want to call this entity an "agent" as too many people think of that as the generic visa agent) which had an online Immigration account file a TM30 for him (or, technically, for his wife who owns the place).  My question is whether the online reporting by that entity (versus showing up in person to file it) caused the fine to be avoided at that point in time. 

As to almost everyone, sorry for the confusion.

This afternoon I returned to CM and went to Immigration with a request to update my TM30, 5 minutes later, job done and now in possession of stamped certified grade A TM30 receipt, cost zero baht. 

1 hour ago, CMBob said:

You may be right but I'm not so sure.  I don't see where he said that the TM30 was done within 24 hours of arrival in CM.  What I do see is that he said that he had an outfit (we might not want to call this entity an "agent" as too many people think of that as the generic visa agent) which had an online Immigration account file a TM30 for him (or, technically, for his wife who owns the place).  My question is whether the online reporting by that entity (versus showing up in person to file it) caused the fine to be avoided at that point in time. 

As to almost everyone, sorry for the confusion.

The agent was, as stated, Thai Visa Assist, a large and well known visa agent here in Chiang Mai who coincidently manages all aspects of my visa extensions and 90 day reports. BTW I went to my agent and simply asked, how do I take care of this problem and the solution is what I've set out here, there was no cost involved to the Agent.

My questions to you are: if you show up in person at Immigration and try to file what, a change of residence, what address will they show for you, where did it come from and how did it get there? I presume you can't simply show up and register for the very first time, without being fined since I presume you have been in country for some time.

1 hour ago, alfieconn said:

You don't arf complicate things, read what i said previously ! so do you think that you didn't get a fine because of what the agent done or because  in the first instance the Hotel reported you within 24 hrs and that you done a TM30 within 24 hrs of arriving back in Chiang Mai ?

For the very last time yes, I do believe the Agent entry set my record straight, had I not taken that step my address on the database would show as a hotel in Chiang Rai that I stayed at two months ago and if I had attempted to extend my visa with that address in place, it would have meant a fine..

The fact that I stayed in a hotel in BKK, after the agent updated my Immigration record and prior to my UK trip is irrelevant, that's all coincidental stuff that is updating the Immigration system in accordance with the required timescales - only the fact that the Agent updated my record, changed my address from that hotel in Chiang Rai of two months ago, to my current home address.

I don't know how or why this is all so difficult for you to understand and I'm inclined to think it isn't really and it's just your usual games, ergo I'm done  here.

1 hour ago, chiang mai said:

For the very last time yes, I do believe the Agent entry set my record straight, had I not taken that step my address on the database would show as a hotel in Chiang Rai that I stayed at two months ago and if I had attempted to extend my visa with that address in place, it would have meant a fine..

The fact that I stayed in a hotel in BKK, after the agent updated my Immigration record and prior to my UK trip is irrelevant, that's all coincidental stuff that is updating the Immigration system in accordance with the required timescales - only the fact that the Agent updated my record, changed my address from that hotel in Chiang Rai of two months ago, to my current home address.

I don't know how or why this is all so difficult for you to understand and I'm inclined to think it isn't really and it's just your usual games, ergo I'm done  here.

But the difference is that you have recently returned from the UK  and done a TM30 which makes the above irrelevant ! 

Immigration are saying that you have to inform them with a TM30 within 24 hrs of arrival, show me where they are saying that anyone who notify's them within 24hrs but has previously been in Thailand  and not notified them with a TM30 will be fined.

1 hour ago, alfieconn said:

But the difference is that you have recently returned from the UK  and done a TM30 which makes the above irrelevant ! 

Immigration are saying that you have to inform them with a TM30 within 24 hrs of arrival, show me where they are saying that anyone who notify's them within 24hrs but has previously been in Thailand  and not notified them with a TM30 will be fined.

Immigration Act, Chapter 8, Section 77.  In particular: "Making notification , in reference to the Para 1 and 2 of this Section , must comply with regulations prescribed by the Director General."

Edited by hml367

On ‎15‎.‎02‎.‎2016 at 8:06 PM, scottiejohn said:

Your comment may well be the point of the visit, but the point of my question was related to TM30 or what other form/procedures should the visitor/girlfriend/landlord follow to keep within the law. I am not interested in who gets away with what by devious or other means.

I will restate the question.

What should a visitor staying with a a person who is renting a room and who has used that address on their arrival form do. Is the onus on the visitor, the friend (renter) or the apartment/room owner?

I am sure there are a few people who would like to know the correct answer without going of on tangents.

I filled in one and took it to the office as my wife was working. No problems. Just get the owner to sign it or whatever they have to do, or your girlfriend if owner not available.

15 hours ago, alfieconn said:

Looking at my TM30 receipt, it says that my "wife"  has informed Immigration that I have returned to my home address and my wife is named (handwritten) in full, that is the literal translation of what is written on the receipt. So where did Immigration get my "wifes" full name from, I didn't fill out any paper work that supplied it and I didn't complete a TM30 I merely gave Immigration my passport and boarding cards proving my return from the UK. Oh wait, they must have got it from their database records when I gave my visa agent my wife's ID card, tabien bahn and the channotte and they used that information to create my first TM30 record!!! I wonder what would have happened if the agent hadn't made that update and I had returned from the UK and simply handed my passport and boarding card to Immigration, what would they have said and how would they have completed the receipt without my wife's name I wonder, I suppose we'll never know but we sure as heck can guess - 1,600 baht, thank you!!!

Made TM30 report today after being gone exactly one Month. I work outside Thailand. Showed reciped from last time when I got fleeced for 1600 baht, passport, and arrival card. Officer looked at screen with concern for a few seconds. Then stamped previous paper with date. I got the traditional passport/visa/stamp copy for 6 baht but she didn't ask for it. That will stay in my pocket, passport safe at home.

In and out less than 5 minutes.

Edited by Dipterocarp
  • Like 1

Went shopping to Tachilek last week-end, went back with 90 more days (business visa 2 years) so I did not have to go to immigration for my 90 days. I gave all useful photocopies to my owner, which went to make my first TM30. She did not explain me anything, but she did not pay for sure  ... maybe because I have a new arrival stamp, or maybe I was already registered in the computer. She is not talkative, but I have my TM30 without paying and going to Immigration, which is good enough for me...

Phil.

• Like 2

I am on a retirement extension and own my condo in Chiang Mai. I filed my first TM30 about a year ago in Chiang Mai. Since then I have been in and out of the country several times and have stayed in hotels outside of Chiang Mai without updating my TM30 (didn't know I was supposed to). I filed my 90 day report today through my agent (300THB) and there were no issues regarding TM30.

No fines, no questions. FYI.

• Like 2

A Brit friend went to CM Immigration today to find out exactly what he needed to do regarding TM30. Immigration checked their database and confirmed he wasn't registered, he produced a channotte with his name on the back of it (usufruct) and they accepted that as proof, no Thai person, Thai ID or Tabien Bahn required, no fine paid.

On 4/10/2016 at 9:10 AM, Shoeless Joe said:

Friend of mine flew into Chiang Mai yesterday (Monday) and asked the manager / owner of his condo to complete the TM30 for him to take to Immigration today. They refused to complete the TM30 and said he had to do it and it was"nothing to do with them". What does he do, go to immigration and explain to them? Then what does immigration do if the the Housemaster/Owner won't comply?

Regards,

Joe

The fine it's on the owner not on him

The manager of my condo is quite adamment that it is NOT for him to get the TM30,but is for the owner of the apartment or "HIS AGENT".Since my landlord is not here,I think he is in Belgium I am now stuck. Maybe the house agent he used would be OK ,but that was 2 years ago.

My visa agents are trying their best to overcome this problem,but since I got my Bank letter confirmation this morning and was expecting the immigration appointment tomorrow for my resident extension,it would appear to me a very difficult situation..

If there is a delay,it will mean that I would have to get a new bank letter at the least

Edited by gennisis
added info

10 minutes ago, gennisis said:

The manager of my condo is quite adamment that it is NOT for him to get the TM30,but is for the owner of the apartment or "HIS AGENT".Since my landlord is not here,I think he is in Belgium I am now stuck.

Maybe your condo management is afraid to pay the fine ... well , if you tell them in case of any "expense",  you will pay it, can it solve your problem ?

Just my 2 cents.

They don't seem to be asking for evidence of TM30s at Promenada for retirement extensions if you've already done retirement extensions from the same address and bring a copy of your lease proving where you live. That's not the case for NEW, first time applications for O visas or for your first retirement extension, but if you've done one already from the same address, you're probably OK with a TM30 at Promenada.

That's not the case at Airport Imm -- they do seem to want evidence of a TM30 for marriage extensions.

Visa agents may be applying a uniform rule to all their clients and telling every one to have a TM30, when it may not be needed for those with continuing retirement extensions.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, NancyL said:

They don't seem to be asking for evidence of TM30s at Promenada for retirement extensions if you've already done retirement extensions from the same address and bring a copy of your lease proving where you live. That's not the case for NEW, first time applications for O visas or for your first retirement extension, but if you've done one already from the same address, you're probably OK with a TM30 at Promenada.

That's not the case at Airport Imm -- they do seem to want evidence of a TM30 for marriage extensions.

Visa agents may be applying a uniform rule to all their clients and telling every one to have a TM30, when it may not be needed for those with continuing retirement extensions.

If I hadn't had an extension coming up at Prom; I would have skipped the Tm30 and the fine, hoping that someone would eventually put an end to the insanity, but I am 1 for 1 on extensions, and I got there at 4am last year....the guy in front of me was on his third attempt.  So I just looked at it as insurance that my self guided visa extension would not be spoiled, and of course you wouldn't find out until after 5 hours of waiting that you weren't prepared.  Last year there was a little bit of a no proof of address scare...I was ready with Yellow Book...others didn't have it..but were OK, but TM 30 sounds like a continuation of the COR, proof of res fiasco.

Edited by KhonKaenKowboy

7 hours ago, NancyL said:

I'm afraid to say I had to provide the TM30 slip for my nth retirement extension at Promenada last month. 

• Like 2

Finaly I have made contact with my landlord who tells me that he will contact the condo manager. Dont know what difference it will make though.

My agent agrees that 'Prom" are ignoring the TM30 for repeat applications...but since there is no immigration record of my address,it will still not be accepted.

This whole episode is simply stupid. They have accepted my address on my  90day pages applications for the last 2 years.

I am inclined to agree with other posters that this whole experience is nothing more than 'money grabbing' by immigration

5 minutes ago, chiang mai said:

I don't agree it's a money grab by Immigration, it's more likely to be a poorly thought through reinforcement of an existing but largely redundant law, the rules for which are slightly different between hotel, condo owner and house owner.

Right!!   I doubt very many people have any idea at all why this regulation was put into effect.  It may (and probably has) outlived its usefulness.... but every country has laws/regulations still active which have outlived their usefulness.

• Like 1

Right!!   I doubt very many people have any idea at all why this regulation was put into effect.  It may (and probably has) outlived its usefulness.... but every country has laws/regulations still active which have outlived their usefulness.

And also very strange that it is not being enforced at the main Immigration office in Bangkok.

Sent from my SM-A500F using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

On 11/14/2016 at 2:46 PM, chiang mai said:

A Brit friend went to CM Immigration today to find out exactly what he needed to do regarding TM30. Immigration checked their database and confirmed he wasn't registered, he produced a channotte with his name on the back of it (usufruct) and they accepted that as proof, no Thai person, Thai ID or Tabien Bahn required, no fine paid.

Looks like you needn't had gone to an agent, like i said you were complicating things too much ! How much did you pay the agent as a matter of interest ?

3 hours ago, chiang mai said:

I don't agree it's a money grab by Immigration, it's more likely to be a poorly thought through reinforcement of an existing but largely redundant law, the rules for which are slightly different between hotel, condo owner and house owner.

If this is the case,then I wonder how many other 'laws' they will be able to resurect

If I already paid the late TM30 fine and have the tear-off TM30 address registration receipt from 6 weeks ago...

and go out the country and come back to the same address, does my building owner only have to report online (they now have an online account to report over net to immi.)

or do I also have to go to either the old airport immigration 'Foreigner investigation office' at the side of the main extensions office 

or Promenada to do an additional TM28 within 48 hours  as i would have no physical receipt proof if my building process my re-arrival online ?

I will need a valid TM30 for a tourist visa extension on next re-entry, so I don't want to get caught out again with a 1600 Baht penalty.

Edited by freedomnow