TM30 Experience

CMBob

• Replies 524
  • Created
  • Last Reply
37 minutes ago, HullyGully said:

Attached in English is the Thai Immigration Act

I understand when you return from overseas you register the TM30

However, can someone advise where it reads we have to register when traveling to another province in Thailand

Immigration_Act.pdf

Section 37 deals with the alien reporting.  I believe it does specifically speak about provinces also.

Section 38 deals with the house master reporting.

I would not try to relate the form numbers to the Immigration Act.  The forms are what the government has apparently said must be used.

12 hours ago, davehowden said:

CM Bob: 

Hi,

Did you re-register after re-entering the country or after returning to CNX from another part of Thailand?

I re-registered after returning to CNX from Seoul.  Haven't travelled at all in-country since February and, frankly, I'm not going to re-register when I do given the officer told me I only needed to do it up re-entering the country.  Yes, I know, others are being told something else and I'll figure out that problem if/when I'm confronted with it.

Here is the information from Immi BKK after applying for online registration. They refuse personal accounts and limit it to hotels with guests turn over every day. However there's a mail-in address. That is for BKK, not CNX.

(in Thai)
http://thaiforum.net/pics/TM30_procedure.doc

It does seem strange, but I guess not really surprising, that Bangkok Immigration don't insist on a TM30 for Extensions and 90 day reports.

Sent from my SM-A500F using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

I went to Promenade yesterday to extend my permission to stay (retirement) and the officer just asked me if I ever had registered my address. I replied that I did, because I have used the same address (where I actually live) for at least 20 years after moving from Bangkok to Chiang Mai. However after checking in the computer there was no record. He explained that this is perhaps because I only registered it for marriage extensions in the past (I am only on my second retirement extension). My address is a house I built myself on land that only recently got a Chanot. It is not rented, I live there with my (Thai) wife and kids. I have until recently never heard of this TM 30 form and the officer at Promenada just asked me for a copy of the house registration with the page for my wife and that was all. No fine, no request for TM30, that 'requirement' was even not mentioned. I got my extension without a problem. So at least for Promenada they also don't care for the TM 30 for extensions, perhaps only if you stay at a private residence. Another applicant I spoke to did have to show his TM 30, supposedly because he was staying at a condo. I didn't ask for any further information from the officer, lest I can't feign ignorance in the future.

Obviously, this TM 30 doesn't make much sense for most people who have been here for a long time legally. Trying to actually follow all this and other obscure rules is a fools errand, with requirements changing based on who you talk to and perhaps the stress levels they had to endure that day. I am not planning to start reporting my coming and going outside of filling in my arrival and departure cards, unless I am specifically told that I should by immigration. It seems to be a lot of hassle and not a priority, not even for immigration.

I too like to roam around and feel under house arrest now as my landlords have registered me at my new place. I don't dare to travel atm, as it would be a pain in the arse for my landlords, particularly as one is in his home country for a few months now and his Thai partner has to work every day and no time to go to immi every now and then.

Is this the proper way to promote domestic travel ? Hmmmmm.....

I took my wife to immigration to 'turn herself in" for breaking the law by not filling out a TM30.  They charged her 800 THB for her criminal activities which she nicked from me.  It was worth it to listen to the conversation between her and the immigration office.  I just sat like a bemused, smiling mushroom.  :cowboy:

returned for overseas yesterday

went to airport immigration TM 30 office today with passport only

they stamped the stapled in passport TM 30 document from April 2016 with a date and signed it, 5 minutes

when I asked about 7 days instead of 24 hours to do it, I was told "IF you have a TM 30 receipt in your PP, you can come in within 7 days to get it stamped and signed"

conversation was in Thai and seemed to be clear to both sides

they did not notice or were not concerned that I was in and out of Thailand in August 2016 and did not come in for a TM-30 update

50 minutes ago, MadMac said:

That confirms it is no entered in their database. Thanks.

You jump to conclusions.  

They worked on their computer with my passport in hand and noted a number/reference code on the TM 30 form in my passport which I speculate came from the computer.  If not entered in the database, they would have had no need to look at their computer, would they?

Or you think that they missed the August exit and entry because it was not entered in the database?  Again an assumption on your part.  They do not always follow the letter of the rules and often let things slide for people, particularly people with good attitudes who have been doing what immigration wants for 30 years.  As opposed to people who are anal about knowing exactly what, how and why immigration does or does not do something and trying to stuff the rules or consistancy down their throats.

Don't you know that everyone that goes to immigration repeatedly is scored by immigration officers and that score is kept in the computer?  Scoring is basically negative, neutral or positive kept in form of a code for any immigration official to view or add input to.

7 hours ago, Dante99 said:

You jump to conclusions.  

They worked on their computer with my passport in hand and noted a number/reference code on the TM 30 form in my passport which I speculate came from the computer.  If not entered in the database, they would have had no need to look at their computer, would they?

Or you think that they missed the August exit and entry because it was not entered in the database?  Again an assumption on your part.  They do not always follow the letter of the rules and often let things slide for people, particularly people with good attitudes who have been doing what immigration wants for 30 years.  As opposed to people who are anal about knowing exactly what, how and why immigration does or does not do something and trying to stuff the rules or consistancy down their throats.

Don't you know that everyone that goes to immigration repeatedly is scored by immigration officers and that score is kept in the computer?  Scoring is basically negative, neutral or positive kept in form of a code for any immigration official to view or add input to.

My experience is/was the same.

8 hours ago, MadMac said:

That confirms it is no entered in their database. Thanks.

No, I believe you're wrong.  Similar to Dante's and HML's descriptions, the officer only took my passport 2 months ago, played with the computer for a couple of minutes in front of me, and then re-stamped my TM30 Receipt.

I can't say exactly what the officer was doing on the computer but he was typing something on his keyboard. I suspect he was verifying that a TM30 was filed and/or, more likely,  updating new information (such as new arrival date, new departure card number, and, in my case, a new "expire date of stay" since I obtained a new retirement extension since the TM30 was filed).  The rest of the information on my form (place of entry, etc.) would have remained the same and wouldn't have required updating.

My experience was they had no computer at sight. But perhaps that was because I came alone and was an easy target.

At the airport office? I saw at least 4 computers there and I came alone, but doubt that has anything to do with it.

I've been there, the girl at the door took a look at the papers, then the big guy came, put a stamp on them. There was no computer and no entry in whatever database.

If you try their online systems you will also find that the backend is down for approximately half of the time. So it is not a local but systematic error. 

3 hours ago, MadMac said:

My experience was they had no computer at sight. But perhaps that was because I came alone and was an easy target.

Puzzling, perhaps we were in different buildings or parallel universes or, just perhaps, you need to get thyself to an optician.  I didn't imagine watching the Immigration dude playing with the computer and entering data.  I'll be there (the back building) again in a little over two weeks when I return from a short trip to Taiwan and I'll attempt to sneak a photo for you.

We went to the building way in the back past all the cars.  There were many people working there and several computers. We handed them tm30 forms and other required documents. They thought that we never filed before and thought we should be fined.  We did file earlier this year at Promenada, but we did not have our stamped forms.  After we persuaded them that we had filed before, they went and looked it up on the computer, found it and processed our new tm30.  Then they told us next time keep the stamped form in our passport, and let them know to "update".  We just did what they said and they added another stamp on the tm30s in our passport.

Thanks to tv members for providing the information to file Tm30 earlier this year/late last year.  We really appreciate it because we would not have known to do it!

On 11/5/2016 at 10:28 AM, CMBob said:

No, I believe you're wrong.  Similar to Dante's and HML's descriptions, the officer only took my passport 2 months ago, played with the computer for a couple of minutes in front of me, and then re-stamped my TM30 Receipt.

I can't say exactly what the officer was doing on the computer but he was typing something on his keyboard.

Probably commenting on his mate's Check-In to Paragon on Facebook.

Tomorrow will be my 10th interaction with immigration since August. Four of them are acceptable requirements, the other six just work for the sake of work. Ridiculously inefficient system.

On 10/19/2016 at 0:17 AM, cheeryble said:

I am under the impression the TM30 Receipt Slip which goes in your passport stays there when you travel abroad and is simply stamped on your subsequent visit to IMM. My wife disagrees and says they remove it.

Am I right?

They took mine at the airport.  This was at the start of the hysteria, so perhaps things have changed and the policy is to leave it in now. 

Note that I don't think airport immi was looking for this paper but upon finding it they kept it. 

In the future perhaps I will take it out from the passport but carry it with me.  No I haven't been back to do another one. 

33 minutes ago, john_bkk919 said:

They took mine at the airport.  This was at the start of the hysteria, so perhaps things have changed and the policy is to leave it in now. 

Note that I don't think airport immi was looking for this paper but upon finding it they kept it. 

In the future perhaps I will take it out from the passport but carry it with me.  No I haven't been back to do another one. 

That is one option, the other seems to be to keep it stapled to your passport, and to speak-up if the officer tries to remove it ?

I've had departure-immigration officers remove my 90-day online-reports, which I keep loose in my passport, by the way. That seems fair enough to me, as it's no-longer relevant, once I've left the country. But it is nice to be able to prove that I've been reporting properly and successfully.

4 minutes ago, Ricardo said:

That is one option, the other seems to be to keep it stapled to your passport, and to speak-up if the officer tries to remove it ?

Sure... right, tell them how it's supposed to be done (and how would you know?).   It was stapled, of course.

I'm simply sharing info as to what I will likely do next time, which is the easiest thing imaginable - not give it to them unless asked.

You are not even supposed to have it as it is the receipt for the landlord not to get fined. All complete messed up. Hope they get some inactive posts available soon, somewhere in Sisaket perhaps or Mukdahan :-)

Archived