High Electricity Rate - Bangkok

WhaleBomb

Ok guys I am staying in a small studio room, its literally about 8-10m x 6m.

I have a very small AC unit which I only use at night. I would say maximum 4-6 hours per 24 hours.

I had a bill for my first 10 days here and I used 35 units of electricity.

But after 1 month. I have checked my meter and its saying 560 units. But I have not been using the air condition any more than I did in the past. Actually I am probably using it less as the Air Condition is having problems. It is leaking and the remote control does not work. I have told them a couple of times but nothing seems to be done about it.

Could it be possible that I am getting ripped off here... I live with a thai girl, shes a student and we live in a student area of Bangkok away from all the touristy places.

The room only costs 4000 baht per month. So if its true that I used 560 units of electricity at 7 baht per unit. the electricity will be the same cost as the actual rent...

I have and the thai girl has told them multiple times about this. But nothing is getting done about it. Also I am pretty sure that the aircon was leaking from as soon as I moved into the room. Maybe it's got slighty worse but going from 32 units in 10 days to 560 in 1 month, is quite a huge difference :(

Edited by WhaleBomb

I don't think in your case this is so out of line. I have a fully operational and maintained air conditioner and my studio is about the same size as yours. I pay 6 baht per unit of electricity and last month I used 265 unit, or around half of what you used but I never used mine over 2 maybe 3 hours a day, if that. I paid just over 1,600 baht. I have my unit cleaned and maintained every 6 months and it is a Mitsubishi Electric Mr. Slim Model BTU 18,000. Most apartments make a little money on the side on electricity in Thailand, it is pretty common. I am not sure of the actual rate they pay but I think it is around 5 baht per unit.

Edit: I may add I pay 500 baht every 6 month to have my unit cleaned and serviced.

Edited by BobTH

Its 100% 560.0,

I don't even own a tv or anything I only use my low powered netbook to do my studies. I will speak to the landlords about it when the thai girl comes back hopefully I can finally get something sorted out.

I wouldn't mind but it's just confused me how it jumps from 36 units in 10 days to 560 in 30 days. :(

You didn't actually state that you have been billed for 560 units?

Or did you?

Is it just precautionary from what you read?

Error in reading, wrong meter can be excluded?

Compared meter serial number with bill (if you get this at all).

Do the usual standstill test (all units off, meter does not turn).

Wire tapping?

560 units for a single room studio is indeed very much.

Edited by KhunBENQ

OMG guys..... I am a f**king idiot.

My Thai friend spoke to the landlord and they said the meter started at 410 not at 0

So my total units were 150 and not 560 like I thought.

Sorry about the post, I was just panicking thinking the meter always started at zero and I was going to be charged for 560 units.

I will be taking your advice too about getting aircon fixed, if its only 150 units with a leaking aircon I wonder how much cheaper it will be with a working one.

Metapod wrote:

"Aircon is leaking? Guessing it is old and broken and you havent had it maintained at all. That is why your bill is so high. Get a new aircon unit and your bill will drop dramatically.

Very good advice from Metapod - perhaps helpful to others.

Exactly that happened to me.

Electric bill went up-up-up for three months, but room wouldn't get cool.

After installing new aircon unit electric bill dropped from 9,400 Baht/month (!) to a more reasonable 2,600.

Edited by PT4

Even though you said sorry A mistake.Electricity isn't cheap.You might want to get A fan.Run your airconditioning on high before going to sleep.When your ready to go to sleep,turn the fan n and turn the aircnditionng on low.If it's not real hot at night this might

Work.

Even though you said sorry A mistake.Electricity isn't cheap.You might want to get A fan.Run your airconditioning on high before going to sleep.When your ready to go to sleep,turn the fan n and turn the aircnditionng on low.If it's not real hot at night this might

Work.

thanks for the advice, I have only just came to Thailand so everything in knew to me here. I am used to living with parents with no costs to worry about. I will defiantly be looking into getting a fan.

Just check the meter daily if you can to get an idea of how much you are using daily....or maybe check it after 3 days and divide by 3 to get a daily average. Then you can use your 7 baht/KHH (unit) to estimate your monthly cost.

Just as FYI, the 7 baht/KWH you are paying is not the price the landlord gets charged by the electric company....he gets charged around 4.6 baht/KWH which includes all taxes/fees. Anything above that is profit the landlord is adding on....not uncommon.

The company I work for charges 8 baht per unit (including VAT). When you deduct the electricity used in common areas and for the apartment water pumps, the inaccuracy of some meters and the VAT the company forwards to the tax office the profit works out at about 33-37%.

You can use the Bangkok Metropolitan Electric Authority (MEA) online electric bill calculator at the webpage below to determine your monthly electric bill to the stang. Expect the tariff schedule used by the great, great majority of residents is 1.1 or 1.2 "when they are billed directly." If not billed directly...billed through your landlord...then you are paying whatever the landlord wants to charge. I'm under scehdule 1.2 in my single family house. There is very, very little difference between schedule 1.1 or 1.2...like only around 1 baht for 500 KWH (units) used.

http://www.mea.or.th/aboutelectric/index.php?l=en&tid=4&mid=280&pid=116&ctForm=form11

When going to the above website it will default to schedule 1.1 and include the current Ft which is a -4.8 stang/KWH this month. The Ft use to be much higher but back in mid Nov 15 MEA & PEA rebaselined their rates by rolling in the Ft to the basic rates...this basically rebaselined the rates setting the Ft back to zero.

Actually since mid Nov the Ft has been a negative value due to low world fuel prices. So, if selecting rate 1.2 it will not automatically include the Ft and you will need to manually enter it...don't forget to include the minus sign since the current Ft is a negative value (lowers your charge a little). Enter the number of KWH hours used per month along with the Ft, click calculate, and it will detail the bill for you. As far as I know MEA and PEA rates are the same so you can use the MEA calculator for your PEA bill also.

For example the cost of 500KWH per month on schedule 1.1 is: Bt2,140.78 or Bt4.21568/KWH (rounded Bt4.2/KWH). The cost of 500KWH on schedule 1.2 is Bt2139.04 or Bt4.27808/KWH (rounded Bt4.3/KWH). This includes all taxes/fees/etc., for those billed directly....but as mentioned, if you are being billed through your landlord he/she may be charging a significantly higher amount....not uncommon....it's just profit for them and/or helps to pay the community area electric bill if you are not being charged that already in your rent in one way or another. Ah heck, I'm just beating around the bush...they are just making a very nice profit if charging around 7 baht/KWH or more.

That earlier estimate of around Bt4.6/KHW was based on my cost a few months ago and just from memory...slightly different tariff plus I use quite a bit of electricity per month...around 2,000KWH per month. Using that higher amount results in a slightly higher cost per KWH since the electric company charges a little more for higher amounts used. When using the calculator above you can see the different charges for the first 150KWH used, a little higher amount for the next 250KWH used, and then a slightly higher amount still for amounts over 400KWH. I'm on residential schedule 1.2... using the calculator today shows a 2000KWH usage costs Bt9158.83 or Bt4.579/KWH (rounded Bt4.6KWH).

If your AC unit is leaking, there is a strong possibility the drain tube is blocked and is backing up into the unit. Sometimes insects get in there, sometimes algae forms a plug. AC units here produce a lot of water..my 20,000 BTU produces a bucket full every day.

Also, take the air filters off the inside unit and wash them, they are probably clogged with several years of dust. Same for the outside unit; clean the grill with a stiff brush. It's OK to use water.

Edited by dddave

If you were to clean the filters, and especially the drip tray, and the evaporator fins all scrupulously clean and then sprayed some chlorine bleach to give a final touch up, the water produced will be excellent for drinking.

Protect the water bucket from contamination with a lid with a hole.

Wait for a bucket or two of water to be produced for a first flush.

There are/were refrigeration units promoted as producing drinking water from the atmosphere exactly the same way.

I've tested many a bucket of such water for Total Dissolved Solids with a TDS meter (without having had the clean up), as being virtually zero.

People then trusted this ordinary A/C water such as yours for their cars battery and radiator.

Don't believe the myth that minerals in water are needed for health. Only plants can convert them to pure minerals.

They are not readily bio-available and you would have to drink lots to get any calcium from the compound Calcium carbonate.

As for bacteria after your cleanup, you would be probably very safe and you would be the best judge of that.

Do you have inexpensive water quality testing facilities there as a service to the public?

No street fogging happening? How much air pollution?

I would trust it more than filtered BKK town water, given that good clean out suggested.

No hormones, no industrial river/dam pollutants that cant normally be filtered.

How much do you trust the reverse osmosis filter dispenser machines for the latter ?

The concept of getting something for free from nature is appealing.

Edited by Jing Joe

My Thai friend spoke to the landlord and they said the meter started at 410 not at 0

Sorry about the post, I was just panicking thinking the meter always started at zero and I was going to be charged for 560 units.

I will be taking your advice too about getting aircon fixed, if its only 150 units with a leaking aircon I wonder how much cheaper it will be with a working one.

One thing you should do immediately if you haven't already, and you can do it easily yourself, is take out the filters from the wall unit and rinse them clean, with the toilet bum gun if you have one.

If the filters are clogged (and in Bangkok that doesn't take long), the unit struggles to cool air to the required temperature and therefore adds to the electricity bill. I do mine every three months or so, it takes 15 minutes.

the price of electricity is in ranges and per range the price is increasing.

0 to 150

151 to 500

and 501 up

the price per unit is increasing the more one uses.

you can find this back on your electricity bill

i pay around 2000 bath per month with ac running 1800 to 0800

do not forget PC + monitor use also lot of electricity as well the refrigerator.

I run my air con an average of 12 hours a day with the temperature set at 26-27 c

and my bill is about 1,400 baht. 1000 baht the last month, but 12-14 hundred baht

is my normal bill. I have a south facing unit and walls are exposed to the sun and

retain heat. in the summer I use about 300-350 units with a high of 390 and the past

couple of months 250 units. I am not shy about using the air conditioning but I don't

keep it blasting. I like my 36 sqm unit comfortable. That is my experience here in

Jomtien. whistling.gif

Most smaller apartments charge a slightly higher rate than the government rate but this covers electricity use in the common areas such as stair and hall ways, car parking area and it also helps cover the expense of replacement globes and repairs. Big condo buildings have a services fee each month that covers these costs.

Thank you Troll. Yes I agree with your statement.

You can use the Bangkok Metropolitan Electric Authority (MEA) online electric bill calculator at the webpage below to determine your monthly electric bill to the stang. Expect the tariff schedule used by the great, great majority of residents is 1.1 or 1.2 "when they are billed directly." If not billed directly...billed through your landlord...then you are paying whatever the landlord wants to charge. I'm under scehdule 1.2 in my single family house. There is very, very little difference between schedule 1.1 or 1.2...like only around 1 baht for 500 KWH (units) used.

http://www.mea.or.th/aboutelectric/index.php?l=en&tid=4&mid=280&pid=116&ctForm=form11

When going to the above website it will default to schedule 1.1 and include the current Ft which is a -4.8 stang/KWH this month. The Ft use to be much higher but back in mid Nov 15 MEA & PEA rebaselined their rates by rolling in the Ft to the basic rates...this basically rebaselined the rates setting the Ft back to zero.

Actually since mid Nov the Ft has been a negative value due to low world fuel prices. So, if selecting rate 1.2 it will not automatically include the Ft and you will need to manually enter it...don't forget to include the minus sign since the current Ft is a negative value (lowers your charge a little). Enter the number of KWH hours used per month along with the Ft, click calculate, and it will detail the bill for you. As far as I know MEA and PEA rates are the same so you can use the MEA calculator for your PEA bill also.

For example the cost of 500KWH per month on schedule 1.1 is: Bt2,140.78 or Bt4.21568/KWH (rounded Bt4.2/KWH). The cost of 500KWH on schedule 1.2 is Bt2139.04 or Bt4.27808/KWH (rounded Bt4.3/KWH). This includes all taxes/fees/etc., for those billed directly....but as mentioned, if you are being billed through your landlord he/she may be charging a significantly higher amount....not uncommon....it's just profit for them and/or helps to pay the community area electric bill if you are not being charged that already in your rent in one way or another. Ah heck, I'm just beating around the bush...they are just making a very nice profit if charging around 7 baht/KWH or more.

That earlier estimate of around Bt4.6/KHW was based on my cost a few months ago and just from memory...slightly different tariff plus I use quite a bit of electricity per month...around 2,000KWH per month. Using that higher amount results in a slightly higher cost per KWH since the electric company charges a little more for higher amounts used. When using the calculator above you can see the different charges for the first 150KWH used, a little higher amount for the next 250KWH used, and then a slightly higher amount still for amounts over 400KWH. I'm on residential schedule 1.2... using the calculator today shows a 2000KWH usage costs Bt9158.83 or Bt4.579/KWH (rounded Bt4.6KWH).

Does the Provincial Electricity Authority (outside Bangkok) have a similar on-line electric bill calculator? Does anybody know? Thank you.