PM Prayut urges Buddhists to refrain from vices on Makha Bucha Day

webfact

PM urges Buddhists to refrain from vices on Makha Bucha Day

BANGKOK, 22 February 2016 (NNT) - Prime Minister Gen Prayut Chan-o-cha wants all Thais to refrain from vices on the occasion of Makha Bucha Day today.

According to Government Spokesperson Maj Gen Sansern Kaewkamnerd, the premier would like to encourage Buddhists in Thailand to use this special occasion to revisit the three core Buddhist principles.

According to religious lore, Lord Buddha passed on these principles, which include performing good deeds, abstaining from bad ones and purifying the mind, to his disciples on Makha Bucha Day.

Maj Gen Sansern said he believes the society will be peaceful if everyone truly understands Lord Buddha's teachings. He also asserted that every religion is the same, as they are all aimed at creating good people.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2016-02-22 footer_n.gif

Maj Gen Sansern said he believes the society will be peaceful if everyone truly understands Lord Buddha's teachings. He also asserted that every religion is the same, as they are all aimed at creating good people.

I truly understand that soldiers shouldn't act like monks and if every religion is creating good people, he should have known that some are only practicing bomb producing techniques in mosques, instead of merits and other good deeds..

Allah Akbar.

"Maj Gen Sansern said he believes ............. He also asserted that every religion is the same."

Deckchairs, lottery tickets, bycycle lanes and now pan-theocratic theology!

They certainly have a comprehensive syllabus at Chulachomklao Royal Military Academy!

Edited by JAG

I just realized I was out of beer (poor planning on my part....not staying aware of certain Thai holidays) and knowing places like Lotus, Makro, etc., would not be selling liquor/beer today where I usually buy my beer, I just came back from my local Somchai convenience store on the soi with a couple bottle of beers...no problem.

I think you will find that the Thai people who actually practice Buddhism automatically refrain from vices. As for the rest of Thai society, including all the pretend monks and their sheeple - please just carry on normally as we don't want to cause too much inconvenience.

I just realized I was out of beer (poor planning on my part....not staying aware of certain Thai holidays) and knowing places like Lotus, Makro, etc., would not be selling liquor/beer today where I usually buy my beer, I just came back from my local Somchai convenience store on the soi with a couple bottle of beers...no problem.

And why should there be, as I don't recall Lord Buddha ever advising that people should be manipulated or controlled under any type of restricting authority.

Would I be correct in assuming that today is another 'dry' day for Thailand? I know the bars in Soi Cowboy are closed tonight.

Never known it this bad. Can't even get a drink airside at Suvarnabhumi, thanks very much, and I have a nasty feeling this is the direction the place is currently headed in; a right wing Buddhist theocracy...

Thais are taking it quite seriously. In the small Condotel where Im staying has a small shop and the lady was very worried about selling me a bottle of beer even though we were the only 2 people there and the lift to my room was 3 metres away

Sent from my SC-01D using Tapatalk

"He also asserted that every religion is the same, as they are all aimed at creating good people."

Well that clarifies the ISIS issue once and for all. blink.png

ISIS isn't a faith. They are misrepresenting the one they claim to follow because they are terrorist scum.

I truly understand that soldiers shouldn't act like monks and if every religion is creating good people, he should have known that some are only practicing bomb producing techniques in mosques, instead of merits and other good deeds..

Allah Akbar.

Wow, even given their track record, those nursing their own prejudices didn't take too long to try and derail this thread

Edited by Bluespunk

Allah Akbar.

I find Allah Akbar quite offensive.

Would I be correct in assuming that today is another 'dry' day for Thailand? I know the bars in Soi Cowboy are closed tonight.

Never known it this bad. Can't even get a drink airside at Suvarnabhumi, thanks very much, and I have a nasty feeling this is the direction the place is currently headed in; a right wing Buddhist theocracy...

It's really quite sad when your next drink is the priority.

Allah Akbar.

I find Allah Akbar quite offensive.

Well I'm an atheist myself so I don't find that much to be great about the idea of a big beard in the sky.

However to be offended because someone else thinks he/she is great seems a bit extreme.

Unless, ha ha ha, you just don't like the phrase being used by a faith.

Or one particular faith.

Nah, that can't be right.

You're just one of those humanist fundamentalists aren't you?

From what I see here in our village , it seems we are sufficiently enlightened enough to drink and buy beer today (and lao cao and ya dong)coffee1.gif

Sometimes a little nip makes one see the light a little brighter. I have done my bit for the holiday and vowed not to post anything unenlightening or negative about the PM today. Tomorrow I will try and hold myself in check as well. I still see some posters ranting about him. Peace and prosperity to all.

Edited by elgordo38