Commuter chaos as technical fault hits BTS network

webfact

Commuter chaos as technical fault hits BTS network

bts1.jpg

BANGKOK:-- A technical fault has resulted in the closure of a number of BTS stations bringing chaos and inconvenience to tens of thousands of commuters in Bangkok.

The technical fault first started at Chidlom station just after 6am and affected trains heading to Siam Square station.

BTS president Anat Apapirom has said the fault is not expected to be fixed until this evening, with diversions and temporary routes being put in place along the Sukhumvit line to avoid the areas of the track where the faults have occurred.

The temporary service will see the Sukhumvit line be separated into two sections with services running from Bearing to Siam return and Mo Chit to Siam return.

Travelers are advised to allow extra time to travel or if possible make alternative travel arrangements.

Service is running as normal on the Silom line.

Source: ThaiRath

tvn.png
-- 2016-02-24

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Chaos on BTS: 'Technical' problem causes severe delays on Sukhumvit line
By Coconuts Bangkok

img_1668.jpg
Crowds on platform at Victory Monument BTS station. Photo: Coconuts Bangkok

BANGKOK: -- Technical problems on the BTS are causing severe delays on the Sukhumvit line that will reportedly last all day.

The BTS Skytrain official Twitter account said there were "technical problems between Chit Lom and Siam Stations" but added that the Silom line was operating as usual.

Netizens took to Twitter to share photos of huge crowds and long queues as passengers were stranded at several BTS stations across the Sukhumvit line.

Full story: http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2016/02/24/chaos-bts-technical-problem-causes-severe-delays-sukhumvit-line

cocon.jpg
-- Coconuts Bangkok 2016-02-24

Bangkok commuters stranded at sky train stations

Cb8w1HbVIAAb4hM-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Several thousands of sky train commuters were stranded at various stations during the morning rush hours Wednesday when a track switching system at the Chidlom station broke down.

Although the switching system was detected since 6 am but by 9 am it was not yet totally resolved.

BTS said the problem will be fixed after midnight while service throughout the day and before midnight will not be disrupted but commuters have to wait longer up to 6 minutes at each station.

The incident stranded several thousands of commuters rushing to work in the morning rush hours to wait in long queues and at some commuters spilling out to the streets, causing traffic jams on many streets, particularly Sukhumvit.

BTS president Anat Arbhabirama said at 9.45 am today that the track switching fault was detected by technicians at 2 am at the stations from Chidlom to Siam.

They then sought permission to replace the switching system which would take the whole day and power supply have to be cut.

But due to the the fact that the power cut would disrupt the whole sky train service which would cause inconvenience to commuters, technicians were then told to replace the switching system at night instead, while train service would continue in the morning as usual but with low train departure frequencies.

He said normally commuters will wait for 2.40 minutes at each station, but due to the track switching fault, waiting time at each station will be 6 minutes.

He admitted that longer waiting time would inevitably cause commuter congestions at stations, particularly at Siam station where commuters will normally exit to change routes.

He said the repair will start at midnight tonight and advised commuters to use subway trains during the period for their convenience, particularly after office hours this evening which will expect congestion problems again at sky train stations.

The fault forced BTS to adjust the Sukhumvit line to avoid the faults.

The temporary routes using today will see the service in Sukhumvit line separated into two sections; Mo Chit-Siam-Mo Chit and Siam-Bearing-Siam.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/content/152171

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2016-02-24

Well, for what it's worth, this is a pretty uncommon occurrence; the BTS is generally very reliable transportation. If you can remember back pre Dec 1999, a trip from Klongtoey to Childom (home and work) could take anywhere from 30 minutes to 2 hours. Stuff breaks and it seems like the folks at BTS are on top of it,

Well, for what it's worth, this is a pretty uncommon occurrence; the BTS is generally very reliable transportation. If you can remember back pre Dec 1999, a trip from Klongtoey to Childom (home and work) could take anywhere from 30 minutes to 2 hours. Stuff breaks and it seems like the folks at BTS are on top of it,

Very fair comment, agreed. Dont send BKK back to the dark ages....I remember pre BTS. Unlivable.

Crippled BTS Service to Limp on Till Morning
By Sasiwan Mokkhasen
Staff Reporter

14562988511456299061l.jpg
Usually crowded during rush hour, BTS Siam was packed with commuters Wednesday morning after a track switching problem caused significant delays.

BANGKOK — Long delays caused this morning by a track-switching problem along the Sukhumvit Line will continue until Thursday morning.

A switching problem between the BTS Siam and Chidlom stations early this morning was blamed for the reduced train frequency which affected thousands of passengers during the morning rush hour, according to operator Bangkok Mass Transit System Public Co. Ltd. Overnight repairs are needed to fix the problem, meaning the elevated rail system will continue operating at reduced capacity until Thursday morning.

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/detail.php?newsid=1456298851

kse.png
-- Khaosod English 2016-02-24

I've been riding the BTS pretty much daily for more than 10 years and excepting the social disruptions in 2006 & 2010, can count on one hand the number of major disruptions I've had to cope with.

There isn't a major metro transit system on the planet that doesn't have "overcrowding" issues during peak hours. Urban transit systems are like highways in that the more capacity you add, the more users you attract. There seems no way around that fact.

The BTS does deserve criticism for it's poor platform and crowd handling policies and lack of handicap access. I've always feared that there will someday be a disaster on the always overcrowded Siam escalator going down from the trains.

I think it's actually pretty remarkable that I can arrive on the BTS platform just as a train pulls out and know that 99% of the time, the next train will be along in six minutes.

I agree with the first & second sentences above but not the third.

Having waited for at least 10 minutes at Ekkamai (not 6) for a train heading to Morchit with many other passengers, when the train arrived it was packed tight but got on in the crush. It then carried on to Asoke where it stopped for about another 10 minutes before carrying on to my station - Nana.

The announcement system was dead so I & many others were unaware of the actual problem. No information at any station & no on-board information.

So - yes, problems are rare but so is informing their customers when they happen.

When you consider how long the BTS has been in operation there really have been very few service disruptions over the years....the MRT is equally reliable. Both , however , should invest in additional cars for the trains to handle the additional volume. The MRT is still operating the same 3 car trains that began service in 2004

Looks like a bit of elbow titing going on therethumbsup.gif

The regular delays are already becoming more terrible every year..... And I think it's gonna get worse. Wanna bet?

Well, I would defiantly be rubbing my elbows against all those fun bags wub.png

With many many more people moving to Bangkok ONLY Bangkok,........ you know what I mean, right............................

Ah the BTS. Incompetent and innefficient

Ah, kingalfred, so negative and inaccurate. This must be the 2nd or 3rd technical fault in perhaps 15 years of operation and the first one that hasn't been rectified fairly quickly.

incompetent and inefficient covers all aspects not just this breakdown. I.e The system of ticketing,the dealing with volumes of passengers etc. So Think again, or just think!

Very fair comment, agreed. Dont send BKK back to the dark ages....I remember pre BTS. Unlivable.

I think the BTS is unlivable as it is today. It is overstretched and overcrowded to the point of discomfort. There are many times I have had to wait for the 3rd train before I could squeeze on and get from Thong Lo to Asok,,, in the end i just rode my motorbike, it was quicker even with the traffic..

Yup. People should try living in Jakarta, if "living" there is at all possible.

Switching problems are not unique to Thailand (been on many systems that had run into them and forced a slowdown in frequency).... but it would have been easier to absorb if they had actually extended the trains to full length a year or so ago when demand allowed for it.... I just get the feeling though that they prefer to have the bragging rights to being dense.

Ah the BTS. Incompetent and innefficient

I think you are being a bit hard on them.

Over 1 years in operation and not had many problems.

Human Nature is so funny.

When the odd problem arises all HELL breaks loose.

If this is your only problem.

Then you will have one EASY life.

Looks like a bit of elbow titing going on therethumbsup.gif

The regular delays are already becoming more terrible every year..... And I think it's gonna get worse. Wanna bet?

Well, I would defiantly be rubbing my elbows against all those fun bags wub.png

With many many more people moving to Bangkok ONLY Bangkok,........ you know what I mean, right............................

y dont people want to live in the villages? lol.