Planning ahead.....

I will move to C.M. in June, and once I open a bank account and transfer funds, will qualify for a Non Imm OA visa.

I can't apply for this visa before I move as my local Consulate doesn't issue it, so I'm thinking to get a 60 day tourist visa and then convert when there.

I have read heaps on the subject but would appreciate clarification.

Is this a legitimate procedure?

Can it be done in Chiang Mai?

On arrival at BKK will I be asked the reason for my "visit", and if so, do I tell them?

As it will take longer than 60 days to convert the visa, how do I extend the 60 day T.V.?

Thanks for any feedback. Moving solo with the dog, and just want to be as informed as possible in advance.

Trisha

You will not qualify for a O-A Visa. These cannot be applied for in Thailand.
You will be applying for a 12 month extension of stay based on retirement.

It would be preferable if you arrive in Thailand with a Non Imm O Visa if possible.

Arriving with a Tourist Visa will require another step in which you convert to a Non Imm O Visa and then apply for the extension.

Most people have to travel to Bangkok to do this. Not sure about C.M.

Edited by Eclipse

It seems you are trying to apply at a honorary Thai consulate for the OA visa.. If there is no Thai embassy or official consulate in your home country you should be able to mail the application to the designated one for your country.

You can apply at Chiang Mai immigration for a change of visa status as soon as you have the money in the bank. The change will give you a 90 day non immigrant visa entry that you can you can then extend during the last 30 days of the 90 days.

• Yes you can legitimately convert your tourist visa entry to a non immigrant visa entry.
  • If arriving with a tourist visa the reason for your visit is tourism.
  • It normally only takes a couple of weeks to do the conversion. You must apply with at least 15 days of your permit to stay remaining.
  • If you want/need to extend your 60 day stay by 30 days you can apply at the CM immigration office. It's straightforward and costs 1,900 baht.

Arriving with a non 'O' visa would be the best option if it's available from your home country. Another option to the conversion is to arrive with tourist visa and towards the end of the 60 days go to Vientiane, Laos to get a non 'O' visa based on retirement.

Thanks all.

I have a British passport, but live and have residency in Cyprus where there is no official Thai embassy. The consulate here have informed me by e-mail that they do not issue Non Imm OA visas, and my understanding is that I have to be resident in the U.K. to apply to the London Thai embassy.

I want to "retire" to Thailand, i.e. Over 50, not working, 800,000 baht balance in a Thai bank.

How.....?

Trisha

Thanks all.

I have a British passport, but live and have residency in Cyprus where there is no official Thai embassy. The consulate here have informed me by e-mail that they do not issue Non Imm OA visas, and my understanding is that I have to be resident in the U.K. to apply to the London Thai embassy.

I want to "retire" to Thailand, i.e. Over 50, not working, 800,000 baht balance in a Thai bank.

How.....?

Trisha

Ask the consulate if the will issue you with a single entry non immigrant 'O' visa explain that you want to apply for a 1 year extension of stay based on retirement once you are in Thailand.

• Thai visas are just needed for entry to Thailand. Most people retiring here enter with a non 'O' visa and, within the last 30 days of their 90 day permit to stay, apply for an extension of stay based on retirement (over 50).
  • All you need to do is enter with a non 'O' visa or convert your tourist visa entry to a non 'O' entry. Once you are in the country applying for an extension of stay is very easy.
  • Like 1

If you have legal residency in Cyprus you should be able to apply to the embassy responsible for there. Not sure which embassy that is but was thinking it is the one in Athens but could find no info on their website to confirm it, I would think the consulate could supply you with that info.

Thanks all.

How.....?

Trisha

You don't really need a non-imm O-A. A non-imm O will still allow you to apply for the extension based on retirement during the last 30 days of your permission to stay.

The O-A offers some extra time before you need to apply for an extension ... nearly a total of two years if you exit and re-enter just before the visa expires ... but if the O is available where you are now, get that and once you're settled here, get the extension before your visa entry permission expires.

I get the impression that far more people go the non-imm O route than the non-imm O-A, because it's a bit easier to apply for anyway.

If you need to or have to go to UK to get a 60 visa. The application takes a couple of minutes to hand in with a £25 fee on one day(excluding time spent waiting in a queue). You can then collect it on the following day (excluding both Thai and UK public holidays). The use of Visa is any time within 3 months of the date of issue, so you can do things at your own pace. You can download the application form and details from the London Royal Thai Embassy website. Their Hull consulate website is a very useful source of for information, with links to many subjects on Thailand.

No you will not be questioned or interrogated on entry. You will just be photographed at entry desk and your passport stamped with the entry date. You will have to before you do fill in an immigration card with the airline flight number and the address where you will be first staying.

I have been travelling to Chiang Mai for 10 years now and explored as much of it as I could. Due to the lack of books in book stores on Chiang Mai. I wrote and recently had published on Amazon in the UK "Thailand's Chiang Mai 21st Century Silk Road". It was written not just as a book on tourism, but also as information for anyone wanting to move to and live in Chiang Mai.

Hope you enjoy the paradise part of Thailand.

Edited by metisdead
Bold font removed, again.

If you have legal residency in Cyprus you should be able to apply to the embassy responsible for there. Not sure which embassy that is but was thinking it is the one in Athens but could find no info on their website to confirm it, I would think the consulate could supply you with that info.

If it is the Embassy in Athens, in Psychio it used to be, they are not the greatest help but don't go out of their way to give you problems

Hi again.

Thanks all for your replies.

I spoke to the embassy in London (after 3 calls and on hold for ages!), and despite their website stating ....

"Having the nationality of or residence in the country where applicants application is submitted"

......the person I spoke to said I couldn't apply there. She told me that Cyprus (where I live) comes under the jurisdiction of Rome (!) and to apply there. I haven't been able to get through so have e-mailed them and will ring again later.

I have also e-mailed my local consulate again, and as suggested by elviajero, asked if they can issue a single entry non immigrant 'O' visa and explained that I want to apply for a 1 year extension of stay based on retirement once in Thailand.

Will post again when I get some feedback.

Thanks again,

Trisha

OP you have some good advice above. Here is one from left field. ( not suggesting this is best option just showing variety) You could come to Thailand on visa exempt stamp. Maybe extend that 30 days for breathing time. Travel to say Vientiane and obtain non O based on retirement. That gives you 90. In last 30 (45 at some offices) you apply for 12 month permission of stay.

However since you have not set up Thai bank a/c yet you prob need a setv to have the money seasoned for 60 days.

I only mention setv if you have trouble obtaining your non o in Europe.

In AU now they don't issue them

OP you have some good advice above. Here is one from left field. ( not suggesting this is best option just showing variety) You could come to Thailand on visa exempt stamp. Maybe extend that 30 days for breathing time. Travel to say Vientiane and obtain non O based on retirement. That gives you 90. In last 30 (45 at some offices) you apply for 12 month permission of stay.

However since you have not set up Thai bank a/c yet you prob need a setv to have the money seasoned for 60 days.

I only mention setv if you have trouble obtaining your non o in Europe.

In AU now they don't issue them

There is no requirement to have the money in the bank for 60 days to apply for a conversion to a non immigrant visa at immigration. It is only required for the extension application and the 90 day entry from the visa allows plenty of time for that.

Yes ubon, just realized that after I posted. So he/she could enter on visa exempt and obtain non O outside Thailand rather than convert or obtain non o in Europe?

The problem with visa exempt entry is the probable need for a flight out within 30 days. A single entry tourist visa is the best option if she cannot get a non-o visa before arriving.

If living in or near Bangkok doing the conversion is a good option. To get a single entry non-o requires the money to be in the bank also.

• 2 weeks later...

Update.......

Applied and have been issued with a single entry non immigrant 'O' visa at my local Consulate.

I will open a bank account, deposit the necessary funds, and apply to convert to "retirement" visa asap after arriving.

Thanks again for all replies.

Trisha

Update.......

Applied and have been issued with a single entry non immigrant 'O' visa at my local Consulate.

I will open a bank account, deposit the necessary funds, and apply to convert to "retirement" visa asap after arriving.

Trisha

You will not get a "retirement visa".

You may get a one year "extension of stay" based on retirement (it is not a visa) if you meet the (mainly financial ) conditions.

2.22 In the case of retirement:
Each permission shall be granted for no more than one year

The alien:
(1) Must have been granted a non-immigrant visa (NON-IM).
(2) Must be 50 years of age or over.
(3) Must have evidence of having income of no less than Baht 65,000 per month: or
(4) On the filing date, the applicant must have funds deposited in a bank in Thailand of no less than Baht 800,000 for the past three months. For the first year only, the applicant must have proof of a deposit account in which said amount of funds has been maintained for no less than 60 days prior to the filing date: or
(5) Must have an annual earning and fluids deposited with a bank totaling no less than Baht 800,0000 as of the filing date.

Update.......

Trisha

Glad it worked out.

• When you enter Thailand you'll be granted a 90 day permit to stay. The non 'O' visa will be used on entry to the country.
  • The 800K will need to be in your Thai bank account for at least 60 days before you can apply for an extension of stay. You have until day 90 to apply but you should apply as soon as possible after the 60 day deposit requirement is met.
  • You won't be converting anything. You will be applying for a 1 year extension of stay on the basis of retirement (over 50). Basically extending the 90 days by 1 year.
  • Towards the end of the year you can re-apply for another 1 year extension, but note that the money must be in your account for 3 months for the second and subsequent extensions.

When talking to the Consulate, he asked if I wanted "60 or 90 days". I said 90 and told him I wanted to apply for an extension based on retirement once in Thailand.

Looking at the actual piece of paper in my passport, he has written....

Type "non/imm"

Category "O"

No of entry S

Enter before 17 Sept 2016

It is stamped "No extension of stay" - is this usual?

Trisha

Hello,

Would like to ask for advice in regards to this application for the 1yr extension based on Retirement. I have had an issue in BKK on bad advice from a staff officer and she told me to go out and come back in before my initial 90 day Non O type Visa expired.

I made the mistake of not coming on here and searching and asking as I should have and found out when going back to BKK to apply for the 1 yr extension, another staff officer working on my application asked why I left. She said now the visa is invalid and have to start again, was not happy as you can imagine.

Now my question is now that I have the new 90 extension, what is the soonest I can apply for the 1 yr extension based on my retirement status? I have all requirements met and funds in the bank since 10 Nov 2015.

I have moved to Nakhon Si Thammarat and working with the staff officer at immigration, they are very good at this office. My wife thinks he told her I can apply no sooner than 45 days prior to this 90 day extension expires, usually it is 30 days, does anyone have information on this please? I have seen this statement posted in this thread "In last 30 (45 at some offices) you apply for 12 month permission of stay."

Edited by bstafford214

Thanks for reply, I have asked my wife to call them and verify for us, she was not sure 100% because she forgot. Have tried calling already and

no answer, a pain to drive there but will verify and post back.

Edited by bstafford214