British tourist reports sexual assault against Thai man he met online

webfact

Accepting an invite to sleep in the same bed as a man. Going out and getting drunk with the man. Returning home with him to sleep in the same bed.

What did William expect. An innocent pillow fight!

When I was young I have slept with male friends in the same bed on several occasions, many a time stupid drunk as well, never was a sex act performed on me.

May be your experiences are different.

You obviously didn't go to a British Public School. Anyway I don't know what these gullible young idiots are even doing here. Can't they go youth-hosteling in France or something?

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Accepting an invite to sleep in the same bed as a man. Going out and getting drunk with the man. Returning home with him to sleep in the same bed.

When I was young I have slept with male friends in the same bed on several occasions, many a time stupid drunk as well, never was a sex act performed on me.

You obviously didn't go to a British Public School. Anyway I don't know what these gullible young idiots are even doing here. Can't they go youth-hosteling in France or something?

Or perhaps sleeping in a Dutch man's house, thinking it's a hotel? thumbsup.gif

I guess it's sort of all believable but the extreme part is running out and calling the police. I reckon the Thai guy felt there was good enough consent and if not the worse thing would be getting a slap. I know in the PC world some might even call that rape.

I think the whole thing was a massive cultural misunderstanding. We who live here have become used to the fact that Thais communicate subtly but a tourist who has spent just a short time here isn't. Agreed that the Brit was a insufficiently cautious/wary, but he may also have been basing things on what similar interactions back home would mean. In the West sexual signals and communication in general is much more obvious, here it can be very subtle.

Heterosexual Thai men are the same, and it took me some time here to understand that they could and would read sexual interest into what to me were the most innoccous things.

Clearly, the Thai man had no intention to be a rapist or anything of the sort, as indicated by not doing anything the first time the Brit stayed with him. He was probably waiting to get a "sense" of things and likely thoroughly confused by the signals (and lack thereof) from the farang. Eventually decided that his agreement to come and stay a second time and to share a room must have meant he was gay & interested.

Just an unfortunate mix up IMO. Upsetting for the Brit, of course, and a hard way to learn that different cultures communicate differently.

William James chats up a guy on the internet, accepts an offer to stay with him for free, parties all night with him and sleeps in the same bed.

He is either really stupid or has the mentallity of a moron to not understand the terms he was complying with. Very possible it was first timers remorse and denial that he ran to the police to prove he really didn't want to give it up, after the fact of freely giving it up. If it smells like BS then its probably BS.

Please be polite. He might me a teachaa and once you've got all the guys from the teaching forum on your asrse....you're done.

I guess it's sort of all believable but the extreme part is running out and calling the police. I reckon the Thai guy felt there was good enough consent and if not the worse thing would be getting a slap. I know in the PC world some might even call that rape.

I think the whole thing was a massive cultural misunderstanding. We who live here have become used to the fact that Thais communicate subtly but a tourist who has spent just a short time here isn't. Agreed that the Brit was a insufficiently cautious/wary, but he may also have been basing things on what similar interactions back home would mean. In the West sexual signals and communication in general is much more obvious, here it can be very subtle.

Heterosexual Thai men are the same, and it took me some time here to understand that they could and would read sexual interest into what to me were the most innoccous things.

Clearly, the Thai man had no intention to be a rapist or anything of the sort, as indicated by not doing anything the first time the Brit stayed with him. He was probably waiting to get a "sense" of things and likely thoroughly confused by the signals (and lack thereof) from the farang. Eventually decided that his agreement to come and stay a second time and to share a room must have meant he was gay & interested.

Just an unfortunate mix up IMO. Upsetting for the Brit, of course, and a hard way to learn that different cultures communicate differently.

Would both parties have been female you wouldn't have heard, or read anything.

But running to the cops when nothing very serious happened is a little bit childish.

IMHO, kids should stay at home and ghinn nomm mae.

Williamss free room obviously came at a very high price to him so I take it he wont be boasting in his local pub to his friends when he gets back home about how he managed to receive such a cheap holiday in Thailand and why its called the land of smiles, whos smiling now. Just put it down to experience William and move on but next time chose your own room and pay for it.

I don't think he needs to even think about boasting in his local back home. Or even the county he is from.

One person recognizes the face behind the blurred eyes from the OP.

One post on FB to verify with a friend.

12 dozen likes & shares.

And BOOM!

Thousands of friends he never knew he had. Such is social........................wink.png

Some of them may offer a shared room, if he is unlucky again......................tongue.png

maybe you didn't wake up

Plastering his name & photo all over the place does little to encourage genuine victims to seek help from the authorities, be they male or female.

dude ia a wannabe , i wanna b/j

Instead of wasting time attempting to prove the claim, the kid would be better off walking away with a 'lessons learned' in life. I bet he doesn't put himself in that position again. But being a Western, he might claim that he is now scarred for life. unsure.png

Your attitude has me scratching my head....

I didnt see anywhere it was reported the victim slept in the same bed with the Thai man

Its obvious the young man did not expect anything other than a free room evidenced by him reporting the sexual assault to the police.

???????????

Nothing in life is free. A good lesson for the daft lad!

You just didn't wake up

There always cums a time when you have to pay up. Nothing is free.

For a guy of 24 he would appear to be very naïve and traveling with his eyes closed, maybe he should have just kept his eyes closed and he would not have ended up with his photo on the internet with this story attached to it.

"In order to escape accountability for his crimes, the perpetrator does everything in his power to promote forgetting. If secrecy fails, the perpetrator attacks the credibility of his victim. If he cannot silence her absolutely, he tries to make sure no one listens."

Judith Lewis Herman, Trauma and Recovery

As far as you know.

This wasn't a freind the was a random Thai guy offering free lodging through the internet.

Sad that the boy could have been so naive.

On the other hand I really want to see headlines around the world that say "William it was really nothing"

So poigniant.

Not surprise. When I was in my early 20s I encounter kind of similar situations with older men, that I never will suspect that they were looking for more than friendship...and all were in foreign countries. I believe that differences in the language and culture sometimes leads to misunderstandings.

So did I. I used to go out on jolly boys outings with my mates usually on pub crawls and we would book a guesthouse and share a bed with a mate or sometimes share a bed with my male cousin when I stayed at my aunts house. There was nothing odd about us it was normal in those days. But if a complete stranger offered me accommodation on condition I share a room with him, that would send alarm bells ringing for me.

There is no such thing as stranger kindness for free and I am thinking more went down here then what`s mentioned in the report.

God save us all with these millenniums : so clever at technology but so unworldly and naive it defies belief.

Untold thousands of you older guys have done your nut and lost all your savings and the shirt off your back to Thai females, is this millenial (that's the spelling) much different? Actually he seems to have got off quite lightly.

Thanks for correcting my spelling. Unfortunately you got it wrong as well: millennial.

Archived