Thai police visit Soi Cowboy to show they’re serious about tackling human trafficking

webfact

Any forigner who has invested into these bars (even as a silent partner) need to wake up and see that something is on the cards, IMHO i would be looking to get out before I was arrested for HT as we all know and so do the Military whats really going on with girls working in these places ..hostes, coyote or what ever name you like to call them they are mostly available for hire by customers of the bar, and under the UN terminology they are sex workers for payment and the bar takes a (bar finec, lady drink, ST room etc) which as we all know is illegal in thailand...be careful out there the knock is getting closer

Sex workers are one thing, human trafficking is something else entirely. If their logic dictates that it is the same problem, then it is marred from the beginning. Especially in the tourist areas. Yes, they do overlap at times, but not in the commercial areas. A public relations exercise off the beaten track would prove to be a different animal for this gaggle i could almost guarantee.

BTW, I think they would be better handing out their leaflets around the malls and temples, good chance there would be a little more interest in those areas rather than distracting the punters......................wink.png

Oh I see, so all of the hookers around the tourist areas are "legitimate hookers". They are there of their own free will and no HT involved at all, they probably have a decent health and dental plan as well.

Phew, glad to know, I always thought that these streets were filled with exploited teenagers from remote parts of the country bought in by criminal gangs to fulfil the demand for locals and tourists alike who are looking to pay for sex.

In the bars run by the (well known) group on Soi Cowboy, the employees are required to submit a quarterly health certificate. No health certificate, no work. The fee for the health check is reimbursed by the bar.

Does your employer offer such an 'health plan'?

As you seem so willing to shoot down anyone who offers their own personal knowledge on this subject, what is it that you base your facts on?

If, as you allude, you have knowledge of human trafficking within the bars on Soi Cowboy and Nana, what are you doing about it?

With regards to a comment you made about some people having no interest in prostitution before coming to Thailand, I come from a country where prostitution is legal and was a shareholder in The Daily Planet, http://www.dailyplanet.com.au/. The main 'red light' areas which are frequented by 'street walkers' are monitored by the police who's main task is to ensure the safety of the prostitutes. There are still claims of illegal brothels and human trafficking but the industry, as a whole, does not have the same negative stigma that people, such as you, attach to it.

NOTE TO MODERATORS: if the link I have provided is not permitted by forum rules, please remove and notify me.

Edited by Stray

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Who's the lady in the clown suit?

Believe me when I say, you don't want to mess with her.

She is the Boss of Hillary Group including many other venues such as Morning and Night, Climax Disco and and and...and probably the whole Soi 4 and her Brother some high ranking Officer at Lumpini Police.

But indeed she is a very nice women and very friendly.

In that case, nice clown suit, very nice.

thats just lip service.

thai police want to convey a simple message: prostitution does only happen in tourists spots, and the customers are only foreigners.

Its the thai way to put the blame, again on foreigners!

Edited by Bender

She is the Boss of Hillary Group including many other venues such as Morning and Night, Climax Disco and and and...and probably the whole Soi 4 and her Brother some high ranking Officer at Lumpini Police.

In that case, nice clown suit, very nice.

Ahhhh...in other words she is the big boss Mamasan in the red light district and well connected

Any forigner who has invested into these bars (even as a silent partner) need to wake up and see that something is on the cards, IMHO i would be looking to get out before I was arrested for HT as we all know and so do the Military whats really going on with girls working in these places ..hostes, coyote or what ever name you like to call them they are mostly available for hire by customers of the bar, and under the UN terminology they are sex workers for payment and the bar takes a (bar finec, lady drink, ST room etc) which as we all know is illegal in thailand...be careful out there the knock is getting closer

Yes I wonder if all the African girls were standing around Nana /Suhkhomvit Rd, and where the Russian girls were hiding at the time???

Sex workers are one thing, human trafficking is something else entirely. If their logic dictates that it is the same problem, then it is marred from the beginning. Especially in the tourist areas. Yes, they do overlap at times, but not in the commercial areas. A public relations exercise off the beaten track would prove to be a different animal for this gaggle i could almost guarantee.

BTW, I think they would be better handing out their leaflets around the malls and temples, good chance there would be a little more interest in those areas rather than distracting the punters......................wink.png

Oh I see, so all of the hookers around the tourist areas are "legitimate hookers". They are there of their own free will and no HT involved at all, they probably have a decent health and dental plan as well.

Phew, glad to know, I always thought that these streets were filled with exploited teenagers from remote parts of the country bought in by criminal gangs to fulfil the demand for locals and tourists alike who are looking to pay for sex.

How many girls (or boys/3rd gender) in Cowboy or Nana do you believe are there against their will, being forced to stay there?

As stated earlier, off the beaten track is another story.

Don't know, and neither do you. But I assume many are there against their will or have been forced into repaying "loans" or perhaps even have a dependency of some substance.

I am someone that doesn't believe in prostitution and I think it is the back bone of human trafficking, modern day slavery, human rights abuse, exploitation and criminal activity overall. Not just here but right across the World.

Funny how most Western men feel the same when they are at home but suddenly become openly pro prostitution when they are here using all sorts of arguments,, such as "they have a better life then in the country", or "they earn good money" or even "they support whole families back home". All nonsense arguments but voiced nonetheless.

"......or have been forced into repaying "loans" or perhaps even have a dependency of some substance".
What has this to do with trafficking? You seem to be confusing two seperate issues here, which IMO is a mistake. I understand your viewpoint on prostitution, I really do, but it appears possessive as you are blaming it as being the cause for HT. I admit that when a person is transported and forced to commit acts against their will this certainly does come under the remit.
But, not in either Nana or Cowboy (IMO). Which was the point I was trying to emphasize about government sight-seeing tours of these areas being pointless in stressing their commitment against HT.
For my sins, in another life, I spent 3 years doing, among other things, Anti II (illegal immigrant) operations in Hong Kong territorial waters. For me it must have been after seperating the 5th or 6th dead body from the living when being able to cope with the task routinly became normal. A lot of nightmares up to that stage. And these people were paying for their passage, not being moved against their will.
But trafficking comes in many different forms, not all as extreme as above.
Horrible world in which we live. HT needs to be eradicated, not just from Thailand but everywhere. When I see exercises like this being "seen to be done" to change Thailand's index ratings in another country's system, it leaves me feeling frustrated as to their (government) actual commitment in their fight.

So the police show they are serious about a crack down on human trafficking by going on a walkabout with a known and well-connected mamasan?

That, (sadly) is exactly what is wrong with Thailand.

She is a good hearted lass, business headed, well connected...a clown? Far from it...

Morning Night lost my business when I had a Singha beer during happy hour. A sign said all Thai beers 59 baht (if I remember correctly) and then they wanted to charge me more because I had a draught beer and not bottled. I'd been in there many times later in the day and spent thousands, so they lost thousands more from my future visits because of poor but typically Thai mis-leading offers and poor customer relations.

Do you know the difference between human trafficking and prostitution?

Not all sex workers are trafficked, whether they work in entertainment areas, massage parlors, freelancers or whatever.

And not all humans trafficked are sent to the sex trade.

But the Thai authorities are right to check, and have in the past found girls from Laos and Cambodia being exploited but in places catering to the local community rather than entertainment zones aimed at foreigners.

Correct, all the girls in tourist areas are Thai "independent contractors" who choose to go

with customers or not. "Bar Girl" is a protected job with the money being very, very good

for some women. As stated by others, off the beaten path you will find brothels staffed by

migrant women servicing a Thai clientele, that charge greatly reduced rates. These are the

girls you should be worried about. coffee1.gif

Really, and how exactly do you know that? Are you responsible for draughting the contracts for these "contracted" ladies or are you just guessing? I think I know the answer.

Or let me guess, you (like another poster on here) know a lot of these girls. And of course they tell you the truth every time they speak to you dont they.

Do you honestly think a prostitute will ever say to you "Actually I am very unhappy, I came down here with promise of a lucrative restaurant job and I owe money for the trip and accommodation but there was no restaurant job so I kind of got pushed into this as I had no choice, now I am stuck and I feel sick to the stomach every time some fat old fart is pounding away on me"

Or are you one of these guys who tells them "why do you do this, you are so pretty and clever, you dont need to do this" as if it is the first time they have heard that. And then they tell you that they earn great money and have a nice condo an iPhone and various other crap they have earnt on the game and are blissfully happy.

The problem here is not just about tackling the human trafficking, it's educating the people like you about what REALLY happens with many of these girls and how terribly they are roped into a life of selling themselves to desperate men looking to pay for sex.

Before you make your next comment, think about it, do some research and then see how you feel about all those poor exploited girls.

I hope that one day the Thai police really will clamp down on this and not only stamp out the criminal gangs who own and run these operations but also prosecute the men who feel the need to contribute to it all by paying for sex in the first place.

. Seems to. Me you know so much you are maybe one of their best customers, past or present.

you obviously cannot read, I have never paid anyone for sex, never will.

TIMENDRES

- "Unlike you, with your fake name and mighty soap box, Mr. Gazzpa, you can see my real name, and I actually had a girlfriend for several years who previously worked in the bar.".............

Most people use a "username" for online purposes, something that eludes you, but if you want to know who I am I invite you to send me a message.

In response to your post, very nice speech. I am happy for you and your girlfriend, and pleased that she found a way out of the life and you gave it to her. (if thats what you are saying)

I never once said that "everyone" was trafficked but even you admit that women do this as they feel they have no choice due to abandonment as one of the reasons.

My point is the prostitution does attract HT trafficking (or vice versa), gangs, criminal activity and exploitation, to deny this is ridiculous. And if you do doubt it do some research!

My personal view shared by many (and i suspect the majority of normal people) is that prostitution is a disgusting, degrading and immoral way for a woman to earn a living and the men that are desperate enough to use these services are extremely sad and guilty of supporting all the criminal activity associated with prostitution. It is my view, I am entitled to it and I couldn't give 2 shitz if you agree.

There are gangs running these red light districts all over Thailand and I hope one day they will all be shut down,, in fact I am certain that they will be as the country develops and moves on. And hopefully all the people using these women will go the way of the dinosaurs.

In the bars run by the (well known) group on Soi Cowboy, the employees are required to submit a quarterly health certificate. No health certificate, no work. The fee for the health check is reimbursed by the bar.

As you seem so willing to shoot down anyone who offers their own personal knowledge on this subject, what is it that you base your facts on?

If, as you allude, you have knowledge of human trafficking within the bars on Soi Cowboy and Nana, what are you doing about it?

With regards to a comment you made about some people having no interest in prostitution before coming to Thailand, I come from a country where prostitution is legal and was a shareholder in The Daily Planet, http://www.dailyplanet.com.au/. The main 'red light' areas which are frequented by 'street walkers' are monitored by the police who's main task is to ensure the safety of the prostitutes. There are still claims of illegal brothels and human trafficking but the industry, as a whole, does not have the same negative stigma that people, such as you, attach to it.

NOTE TO MODERATORS: if the link I have provided is not permitted by forum rules, please remove and notify me.

Really, quarterly health checks, and what are they for? For the well being of the girls or just to tell the punters that the girls are clean? I would love to see the adherence to this alleged policy considering how Thailand seems particularly lapse in just about any other form of health and safety. It sounds to me like a rouse used to convince naive people / punters into believing the girls are treated well. Remember prostitution is illegal in Thailand so how can there be strict regulation and monitored adherence to any policy? Please think!!

And yes my employer offers a full health plan and insurance.

I shoot down anything that condones prostitution as it supports so much illegal activity and in "many" cases exploits vulnerable young women. What am I basing my facts on? Is this a trick question? You have the internet DO SOME RESEARCH!!

And I 100% disagree that prostitution does not have a negative stigma attached to it, and they are not "claims" of illegal brothels and attachment to human trafficking, these are "facts" that agencies all over the world are fighting, informed agencies with more in-depth knowledge and intelligence of this seedy world then the pair of us. I firmly believe that the vast majority of normal people also agree with this.

The fact is this forum is based in Thailand, a country with a terrible track record for human trafficking and the sex trade. So, I am assuming that there may be a disproportionate amount of people who use this forum who are comfortable with prostitution because 1) they use the prostitute services and it may be what attracted them here in the first place 2) they have been here so long they now have a different mentality towards it.

People like you will never change my mind or the mind of most others. So believe what you like, and "if" you use the prostitutes and exploit the vulnerable young girls, then tell yourself whatever you need to in order to avoid you conscience and sleep well at night.

Really, quarterly health checks, and what are they for? For the well being of the girls or just to tell the punters that the girls are clean? I would love to see the adherence to this alleged policy considering how Thailand seems particularly lapse in just about any other form of health and safety. It sounds to me like a rouse used to convince naive people / punters into believing the girls are treated well. Remember prostitution is illegal in Thailand so how can there be strict regulation and monitored adherence to any policy? Please think!!

And yes my employer offers a full health plan and insurance.

I shoot down anything that condones prostitution as it supports so much illegal activity and in "many" cases exploits vulnerable young women. What am I basing my facts on? Is this a trick question? You have the internet DO SOME RESEARCH!!

And I 100% disagree that prostitution does not have a negative stigma attached to it, and they are not "claims" of illegal brothels and attachment to human trafficking, these are "facts" that agencies all over the world are fighting, informed agencies with more in-depth knowledge and intelligence of this seedy world then the pair of us. I firmly believe that the vast majority of normal people also agree with this.

The fact is this forum is based in Thailand, a country with a terrible track record for human trafficking and the sex trade. So, I am assuming that there may be a disproportionate amount of people who use this forum who are comfortable with prostitution because 1) they use the prostitute services and it may be what attracted them here in the first place 2) they have been here so long they now have a different mentality towards it.

People like you will never change my mind or the mind of most others. So believe what you like, and "if" you use the prostitutes and exploit the vulnerable young girls, then tell yourself whatever you need to in order to avoid you conscience and sleep well at night.

You disregard any posts made by people with 'personal knowledge' and you base your 'facts' on something you read on the internet!?!

The health certificate 'allegation' can be very easily checked. Go to a bar on Soi Cowboy, or Nana, and ask about it. But, I already know your response to performing such a simple task. You wouldn't believe it as it does not fit in with your concrete, internet sourced 'facts' that such a thing exists.

So, without going further into a discussion with a worldly wise and experienced person, such as yourself, I'll wrap up with your own quote:

Yeh right. Believe what you will. "none so blind as those who will not see".

Blinded by the ignorance of the internet. wai2.gif

Edited by Stray

95% of sex trafficking is not on Nana,. Cowboy or any of the western targeted sex areas.

It is, as noted above, in the back street and quite places targeting the locals, and it is endemic.

This walk thru is like a dog and pony show done for western press eyes and the embassy reports,

it won't fool one well informed anti-Trafficking NGO, not one bit. Yes, go check the southern fishing fleet.

As far as I know, prostitution is not practised in Thailand. I have met many girls in street bars and after getting to know them, they like me, they agree to go home with me, never any mention of payment, we usually end up having sex and then I give them a bit of money to buy themselves something, because I want to see them again later, but that doesn't make them prostitutes. It's not them who are asking me for money, so they certainly are not prostitutes! I would NEVER use the services of a prostitute. Thai women are just very friendly to me, and they enjoy sex greatly.

As far as I know, prostitution is not practised in Thailand. I have met many girls in street bars and after getting to know them, they like me, they agree to go home with me, never any mention of payment, we usually end up having sex and then I give them a bit of money to buy themselves something, because I want to see them again later, but that doesn't make them prostitutes. It's not them who are asking me for money, so they certainly are not prostitutes! I would NEVER use the services of a prostitute. Thai women are just very friendly to me, and they enjoy sex greatly.

Someone notify SETI...we have made contact with another planet! ?

yes you are right. just try calling a bargirl a hooker and see what happens.

and they do enjoy sex greatly.

Soi Cowboy and similar areas familiar to westerners like in Pattaya and Phuket etc.... is one thing... and one type of sex trade. It's more or less out in the open and everyone knows about it.. the familiar scene....

But the REAL illegal stuff they are looking for is way down the back, narrow, dark streets that the westerners don't usually go to.

Chinese and other Asian sex customers are familiar with those places... I don't think the BIB's make it a habit of cracking down in those locations...

But that is exactly where they SHOULD be cracking down...

Claasic misinformation based on the all-too-common misguided sense of moral superiority that farangs assume they have over other visitors to the country!

Yeah of course the Western (white) whoremonger is the very model of restraint who only visits Cowboy/Nana for a little titllation with his pint of draught.

Yeah sure the Western (white) whoremonger has no involvement in the underage skin trade.

Yeah absolutely it's mostly the places used by the Chinese and other Asians that routine sexual abuse of children takes place.

Maybe you can explain why Suzi Wong's on Cowboy was shut a few months ago and the mamasan arrested/charged with human trafficking for pimping two 15 year olds for those squeaky clean white punters?

Why is it that every single paedophile scumball outed in mainstream and social media a shifty lily-white, Caucasian douche teaching kids or holed up in a remote village ordering kids off impoverished parents or families?

You people just cook up these convenient rationalizations, write them down and they pass into Thaivisa gospel; primed and ready for regurgitation by other hypocrites doing everything in their limited power to try to deflect attention away from their own sordid activities in Thailand

Prostitution is illegal in Thailand, but still Thailand was and is the biggest brothel of the world, and the police is involved in this big business. That's only a show for western medias, to show We are doing something. But the business goes on as usual... with the help of the police and highranking politicians. Did you espect something else?

• 2 months later...

Soi Cowboy and similar areas familiar to westerners like in Pattaya and Phuket etc.... is one thing... and one type of sex trade. It's more or less out in the open and everyone knows about it.. the familiar scene....

But the REAL illegal stuff they are looking for is way down the back, narrow, dark streets that the westerners don't usually go to.

Chinese and other Asian sex customers are familiar with those places... I don't think the BIB's make it a habit of cracking down in those locations...

But that is exactly where they SHOULD be cracking down...

Claasic misinformation based on the all-too-common misguided sense of moral superiority that farangs assume they have over other visitors to the country!

Yeah of course the Western (white) whoremonger is the very model of restraint who only visits Cowboy/Nana for a little titllation with his pint of draught.

Yeah sure the Western (white) whoremonger has no involvement in the underage skin trade.

Yeah absolutely it's mostly the places used by the Chinese and other Asians that routine sexual abuse of children takes place.

Maybe you can explain why Suzi Wong's on Cowboy was shut a few months ago and the mamasan arrested/charged with human trafficking for pimping two 15 year olds for those squeaky clean white punters?

Why is it that every single paedophile scumball outed in mainstream and social media a shifty lily-white, Caucasian douche teaching kids or holed up in a remote village ordering kids off impoverished parents or families?

You people just cook up these convenient rationalizations, write them down and they pass into Thaivisa gospel; primed and ready for regurgitation by other hypocrites doing everything in their limited power to try to deflect attention away from their own sordid activities in Thailand

Suzie Wong's was only shut down briefly. I think Catoni's point was more about how the farang areas are more tightly policed, with the discovery of underage girls being comparatively rare and very little evidence of forced trafficking, than the brothels used by locals especially in the Laos border towns.