Selfmade Snake Catcher Tool

Hello,

Maybe you also have snakes in your garden but don't know how to catch them.

As my house is in the middle of nowhere, I use a selfmade tool 2-3 times per month.

All snakes I catch with this tool are put back in the grove over the garden wall in a healthy condition. I never kill them.

Here is how to make such a tool :

All you need is:

00110.jpg

• a 2m long aluminium pipe - Ø3/4" - (a blue cable pipe is OK but a bit weak and bend if a bigger snake) (200THB for 5m)
  • a 3/4" T-connector for electrical cable (5 THB)
  • 3-4m of a fairly strong rope made from natural materials Ø 5-8mm (not less & not more: not less to not hurt or cut the snake and not more because it has to fit in the tube) - (30THB)
  • some nuts and washers where the rope can get through (must be havy) and which pass through the pipe.
  • a metal saw and pliers

1. Cut the pipe if necessary. Longer than 2m is too long, it's difficult to handel (don't forget you will need to pull the rope quickly) and shorter... well we don't want to kiss the snake, do we?

2. Cut the T-connector as shown on the pic below. (My first tool didn't have a T-connector and it hurt the snake)

00210.jpg

3. file a 3-4mm slot in the T-connector as shown on the pic below (to attach one end of the rope)

00310.jpg

4. insert the rope in the nots and washers and make a big knot at about 1.5m from one end of the rope and another knot to keep the weight on place

00410.jpg

5. let the rope slide through the pipe (the side with the weight)

6. pass the rope through the T-connector like on the pic below (keep the bolts in the pipe)

7. make a knot at the end of the rope

00510.jpg

8. fit the T-connector on the pipe keeping the rope in the slot

00610.jpg

If my explanation was right and you follow it, your tool should look like this:

00710.jpg

To catch a snake, let the rope come out of the T-connector end and make a 10-15cm loop. Keep the other end tight to the pipe. Try to pass the loop around the neck of the snake and firmly pull the rope when you get it. Keep the rope very tight to the pipe to not let the snake escape. Put the snake in a big bag or in a container (tail at first) and bring it in a forrest or somewhere in the wildnis.

Don't catch a snake by the tail, it could bite you!

Don't kill the snake you catch, snakes are part of nature's cycle!

A snake bites only the prey it will eat or if it feels danger.

Here a pic of a snake I catched last year. The tool i used was the first one i made, with a cable pipe. It was ok for small snakes but too weak for bigger ones.

00810.jpg

JJA

Wasn't clear to me once you've got the snake caught, how you get the noose off the snake.

Oh! Sorry...

Just loose the end of the rope and the weight in the tube will make that the loop will be released.

Same procedure if you pulled the rope and didn't catch the snake by the first try...

So it's important to have enough weight wink.png

... get the noose off the snake.

It's not a noose, it's a loop.

If you have a look at the pic, you will see that one end of the rope is retained by the blue T-Connector and the other one goes through the tube and you keep it in your hand to pull it when you get a snake in the loop.

Nice design and instructions! My kit isn't as fancy but gets the job done. Attached are a few of the critters caught in my yard - one of four reticulated pythons, one of two cobras (the one here is a monocled cobra), one copperhead racer (harmless but aggressive), and one water monitor. All relocated to wooded areas.

post-91156-0-71460600-1459144595_thumb.j

post-91156-0-86304100-1459144604_thumb.j

post-91156-0-96935700-1459144617_thumb.j

post-91156-0-55774000-1459144627_thumb.j

Edited by AjarnNorth

Good stuff. Tongs or similar snake handling equipment are pricey by Thai standards. I bought the cheapest tongs I could find last year and they were B4500^ so I couldn't see the average Thai village having such gear, preferring to use a mattock or shovel to dispatch the snakes.

Maybe a business op for you OP making affordable snake removal tools, could be beneficial to the snake population too....

I like the water monitor!

Most of the time I am alone to catch the snakes (GF fears) then not so many pics. I will try to make a cam support to make videos of the hunt wink.png

My wife is a trooper and will usually get me my camera while I am catching something. I took most of these pics after she handed me the camera. The monitors are fine and don't bother me, but my area is quickly being built up and with the amount of building, traffic, construction, and dogs, including my two, it's better for them if they are taken somewhere wooded where they might survive.

The snare I have, by the way, was not made by me but by the local snake catcher you can call. After his second visit in a week or so, I guess he thought I should have one of my own and dropped it off the following day. It serves, but your design is better.

Hello,

Maybe you also have snakes in your garden but don't know how to catch them.

As my house is in the middle of nowhere, I use a selfmade tool 2-3 times per month.

All snakes I catch with this tool are put back in the grove over the garden wall in a healthy condition. I never kill them.

Here is how to make such a tool :

All you need is:

00110.jpg

• a 2m long aluminium pipe - Ø3/4" - (a blue cable pipe is OK but a bit weak and bend if a bigger snake) (200THB for 5m)
  • a 3/4" T-connector for electrical cable (5 THB)
  • 3-4m of a fairly strong rope made from natural materials Ø 5-8mm (not less & not more: not less to not hurt or cut the snake and not more because it has to fit in the tube) - (30THB)
  • some nuts and washers where the rope can get through (must be havy) and which pass through the pipe.
  • a metal saw and pliers
1. Cut the pipe if necessary. Longer than 2m is too long, it's difficult to handel (don't forget you will need to pull the rope quickly) and shorter... well we don't want to kiss the snake, do we?

2. Cut the T-connector as shown on the pic below. (My first tool didn't have a T-connector and it hurt the snake)

00210.jpg

3. file a 3-4mm slot in the T-connector as shown on the pic below (to attach one end of the rope)

00310.jpg

4. insert the rope in the nots and washers and make a big knot at about 1.5m from one end of the rope and another knot to keep the weight on place

00410.jpg

5. let the rope slide through the pipe (the side with the weight)

6. pass the rope through the T-connector like on the pic below (keep the bolts in the pipe)

7. make a knot at the end of the rope

00510.jpg

8. fit the T-connector on the pipe keeping the rope in the slot

00610.jpg

If my explanation was right and you follow it, your tool should look like this:

00710.jpg

To catch a snake, let the rope come out of the T-connector end and make a 10-15cm loop. Keep the other end tight to the pipe. Try to pass the loop around the neck of the snake and firmly pull the rope when you get it. Keep the rope very tight to the pipe to not let the snake escape. Put the snake in a big bag or in a container (tail at first) and bring it in a forrest or somewhere in the wildnis.

Don't catch a snake by the tail, it could bite you!

Don't kill the snake you catch, snakes are part of nature's cycle!

A snake bites only the prey it will eat or if it feels danger.

Here a pic of a snake I catched last year. The tool i used was the first one i made, with a cable pipe. It was ok for small snakes but too weak for bigger ones.

00810.jpg

JJA

Looks like a green whip snake, really beautiful, harmless too.

Yes, it was a Hierophis viridiflavus (I knew only the names Couleuvre in French and Natter in German).

If I don't catch them and remove them out of the garden, the dogs will bark until it's gone... or until they catch it.

snake_12.jpg

The black dog (Pinda) was deadly bitten by a cobra a few days after last Christmas. crying.gif

Looks like I need to update my tools. The only thing I could find this evening was this long-handled brush. One of my dogs and a cat had this guy cornered near the front door and were in danger of getting bitten so I dispatched it and offered it to the neighbors as an evening snack.

Snake%2B-%2B3.jpg

Snake%2B-%2B4.jpg