Marriage Ext - Bank Letter

Went for the annual extension at Korat yesterday, using money in the bank, same as last year.

Picked up the letter at Krungsi and had them update bank book to ensure balance matched the letter. They did, last entry was interest paid on 26 February 2016, no other activity since and balance matched the bank letter, dated 15 March 2016. 100 Baht for the letter, off we went to Immigration.

Same I/O as last year but she rejected the letter and my book. Said that in addition to matching balances, the date of the last bank book entry had to be the same date as the letter.

Back at the bank, Manager said their system could not create a bank book entry without a transaction. Before I could suggest the obvious solution, my wife put the bank manager on the phone with the I/O, who said to print out a query/statement of my account, ensuring it displayed 15 March on it somewhere, sign and put the bank stamp on it. Did that and, of course, it was an exact, mirror image of what's in the bank book, just on A4 paper, and with "15 March 2016" at the top of the print out. Seems to be a duplication of the official bank letter's function.

Back to Imm today, no problems. They virtually ignored the bank letter and highlighted the date and balance on the computer print out page.

I understand they probably wanted to ensure I hadn't removed the money between 26 February and 15 March and/or that the bank letter wasn't fraudulent. Didn't have this problem last year. Next time, I'll deposit then withdrawal 1 Baht to ensure balances AND dates line up with the bank letter.

So now I know two banks that can do a print in the book without transaction: Krungsri and SCB (as I experienced) wink.png

Bangkok Bank no problem.

Nitpickers at immigration. Not the first that I read.

Remember some recent thread: photocopies not centered correctly, pictures of house not sufficient etc.pp.

So now I know two banks that can do a print in the book without transaction: Krungsri and SCB (as I experienced) wink.png

Bangkok Bank no problem.

Nitpickers at immigration. Not the first that I read.

Remember some recent thread: photocopies not centered correctly, pictures of house not sufficient etc.pp.

Odd you mention that. The I/O and the receptionist who pre-screens the packages, told my wife today that they often have "problems" like this with those who use Krungsi, and that the bank seems unwilling to amend their process to accommodate the preferences of Immigration. They also mentioned they don't have any problems with Bangkok Bank.

Made me wonder if, as soon as they saw my Krungsi letter, they knew what to look for. Yep, here's "another one".

I didn't have a same day entry in my bank book last year, but balance matched the bank letter and there wasn't an issue.

Oh well, that was last year. violin.gif

Edit: I'm not an Imm axe grinder, this is the first hiccup I've ever had in 4 years of extensions. Thought I would post for the benefit of anyone else getting ready to do an extension, Krungsi, etc..

Edited by 55Jay

This is a clearly VERY obvious rule that are in existence. You should know about that if looking around all these hundreds of threads about this subject. At most the day before arrivel top Immigration, you should do the operations at your bank...

Yes as you said, the easy way and the obvious way to do it....

a - Go to the bank,

b - deposit 100 baht,

c - than withdraw at the very same time 100 baht.....

d - NOW you are ready to ask for your letter from the bank...

Dont mislead other people by talking about stuff that has nothing to do with this.. creating transactions and all that.....

Just deposit/withdraw and ask for letter....

Easy easy easy... keep it simple....

Glegolo

This is a clearly VERY obvious rule that are in existence. You should know about that if looking around all these hundreds of threads about this subject. At most the day before arrivel top Immigration, you should do the operations at your bank...

a - Go to the bank,

b - deposit 100 baht,

Dont mislead other people by talking about stuff that has nothing to do with this.. creating transactions and all that.....

Glegolo

This is exactly what the girl at SCB last year told me to do,

I have always done my extension at Chang Wattana and they ask that you deposit 100 Baht in your bank and then update your book on the day you make your application. The letter from the bank doesn't have to have exactly the same amount as your book as long as it is only a day or two old.

My Bangkok Bank account was originally opened in Bangkok but my next extension will be applied for at the Khon Kaen office. Can I get the bank letter from a KK branch of Bangkok Bank? Up till now have always used the head office in BKK and not sure if local branches will issue such a letter if my account is not at the branch.

Thanks for any advice

a - Go to the bank,

b - deposit 100 baht,

Glegolo

This is exactly what the girl at SCB last year told me to do,

Did the same but be wary that the bank staff know what they are doing. I asked them to do it for me for '100' and she then handed me 100,000 baht. Paid it straight back in so no problem but if it had taken me under the 400k mark no doubt immigration would have refused the extension for not having seasoned the money properly.

I have always done my extension at Chang Wattana and they ask that you deposit 100 Baht in your bank and then update your book on the day you make your application. The letter from the bank doesn't have to have exactly the same amount as your book as long as it is only a day or two old.

My Bangkok Bank account was originally opened in Bangkok but my next extension will be applied for at the Khon Kaen office. Can I get the bank letter from a KK branch of Bangkok Bank? Up till now have always used the head office in BKK and not sure if local branches will issue such a letter if my account is not at the branch.

Thanks for any advice

You can get the letter at any branch. Best to go to one of the larger branches though.

If you've left the 800K alone and never used it for years, the interest serves as an update for the day BKK Bank gives you the letter. The Imo Lady suggested i updated mid year as well , no idea why. Neither had She. The Boss Said i suppose.

Don't withdraw a single Baht from a fixed term deposit or you risk loosing all or part of the interest!

Some clever mates even withdraw 100 or 1000 Baht from their plain 800'000.00 Baht savings account cheesy.gif

Good reason for immigration for some cruelty or tea money.

Deposit OK (which is not possible for a fixed term at an cash deposit machine, no card).

Edited by KhunBENQ