Viengping Orphanage

Sally5068657

Hi I was just wondering if anyone had been to the Viengping orphanage or any other orphanage in Chiang Mai?

If you have I was hoping you could tell me what it was like, what to expect and any other contact details you have for them.

I'm planning on going for the day, but have read somewhere that you can take a child or children from there out for the day, instead of just visiting. I don't know if thats correct, but figure it would be better to take a couple of kids out for a GREAT day, rather than just playing with a big group of kids at the orphanage.

Any thoughts or advice would be most appreciated!

Thank you,

Sally

Hi I was just wondering if anyone had been to the Viengping orphanage or any other orphanage in Chiang Mai?

If you have I was hoping you could tell me what it was like, what to expect and any other contact details you have for them.

I'm planning on going for the day, but have read somewhere that you can take a child or children from there out for the day, instead of just visiting. I don't know if thats correct, but figure it would be better to take a couple of kids out for a GREAT day, rather than just playing with a big group of kids at the orphanage.

Thank you,

Sally

I haven't been for quite some time so my info is not all that current.

I can say however that whenever I did visit it was a humbling and rewarding experience in a number of ways.

The staff were extremely dedicated and always welcomed the visits by "outsiders"

The children are there for a number of reasons "broken homes, mothers unable to care for them, some had been abandoned and some were HIV positive etc."

It was in some ways quite draining as well. If you picked up a child in one of the babies "wards" you would have many tugging at your legs for some affection and when you put a child down it invariably cried.

If you are going to visit I recommend that you take stuff like fruit, the small individual packs of milk or juice, cookies were also well received.

I never ever enquired about taking a child out for the day but I guess that, that is a possibility. If you are indeed a "Sally" you might be able to do this but I am sure that a "male" would not readily be given this option.

Good luck, it is well worth the time and effort.

Thank you,

Sally

What about volunteering some time for teaching or doing some sport activities there? It's what I have enjoyed supporting there for a long time, and I'm sure anything you can offer there will be appreciated

I don't know about Viengping Orphanage but I do volunteer at Baan King Kaew Orphanage on Wulai Road. The children there are newborns to 6 years old.

It is a very rewardng experience to say the least.

I have never known anyone to be allowed to take the children off the premises though. That somehow doesn't sound right to me. Sitting there "just playing" with the kids makes their day.

I would like to add something to this and I sincerely hope that it is taken in a constructive light.

Over the past 10 years or so, because of circumstances , I have been asked many, many times by good people wanting to do volunteer work with the various orphanages. Things like, I'm a nurse, or I'm a teacher and I wish to do some volunteer work with 'AIDS BABIES' , etc.

I think that this is a good and emotionally fulfilling and rewarding experience. But I have found that many of these potential or desirous volunteers are not thinking the entire process through... Too many of the people are just on an ego trip of their own, and think about how they can go back home in a couple weeks and tell how they volunteered at an orphanage or for Aids Babies, and blow their own smoke....

To these good folkes, I would say stop and give it a minutes thought. It may be good for you and your ego, but what about the kids?

In conversations with a couple of administrators from these orphanages, I have been told that while they welcome donations, [of course, money is tight for them also] and certain types of volunteering, there is also a down side to this type of assistance .... That is the children themselves....

These children, again because of circumstance, need love and caring more then they would ever be able to get in this world. Consequently they are much more susceptable to bonding to a volunteer than say children from a normal household.

In a 2 week, or 2 month volunteering situation the children really attach themselves to these adults who may be thinking only of their feelings, and how much good they are doing, while on their sabbatical. Never once do they think about the day they will be leaving and what effect this will have on these very young children to be ripped yet again from the one they came to look at as and loved as a parent..... The children must stay and are again ripped apart, while you go back to your everyday lives with a glorious self rightous story.

Now let me get back to the original opening..... This is not directed at all those doing volunteering work. If you are in this area , living , not visiting, and wish to offer support by playing or visiting and just being there for the kids and its not for a short term personal fix, then I say 'Good On Ya'. Do the good. Feel the Good, but don't leave the kids hanging..... Think of the kids first, and yourself second, not the other way around. The world has already crapped on them much more than they deserve.

As for an opinion on whether or not one would be able to take them out for a day outing, I would be very skeptical of any orphanage administrator that would allow this without having known for some time the individual making such a request. Unfortunately these are very strange times we live in....

As others have posted, why not go to the orphanage of your choosing and visit, play, read to/with or generally offer friendship and caring to the kids..... I think most would welcome the help and short break this would offer.....

Love the kids first, love yourself second......

OMHO

Thanks for all the feedback. Like I said, I wasn't sure if that was correct about taking them out for the day. And now I've thought that through a bit more, it does sound a bit dodgy!

I am only planning on going for the day, and their website said that they would really appreciate this.

And thank you for the suggestions about the milk and juice etc...I was hoping to bring something for them but I wasn't sure what. I'm a medical scientist (graduate at the end of this yr) and have worked in a pharmacy for the past 3 years, so I was thinking of bringing medical supplies, but worried that this was a bit difficult.

And gonzo, I really do appreciate your honesty. I volunteer in the children's hospital here in Australia, and I do know what you mean about some children bonding VERY quickly to others. I would hope that I would't do anything that would end up having a detrimental effect on those kids.

Thanks all for your comments!

In a 2 week, or 2 month volunteering situation the children really attach themselves to these adults who may be thinking only of their feelings, and how much good they are doing, while on their sabbatical. Never once do they think about the day they will be leaving and what effect this will have on these very young children to be ripped yet again from the one they came to look at as and loved as a parent..... The children must stay and are again ripped apart, while you go back to your everyday lives with a glorious self rightous story.

very good point gonzo. never thought of it that way. but then again perhaps that little time the kids spent with the volunteers would have taught them things they never would have learned otherwise. or the experience. a little love and caring from someone is better than none at all. at least when they grow up as adults, they have learned that there is more out there. friendships.

but again thanks for pointing these issues that some (myself) might not have considered.

TB

very good point gonzo. never thought of it that way. but then again perhaps that little time the kids spent with the volunteers would have taught them things they never would have learned otherwise. or the experience. a little love and caring from someone is better than none at all. at least when they grow up as adults, they have learned that there is more out there. friendships.

but again thanks for pointing these issues that some (myself) might not have considered.

TB

Point taken and understood TB..... but for a moment try and give it a thought with the mind of a child of 2,4,6,8 years of age.... they are not yet able to think like we do as adults..... They are in th formitative stage.... Things that happen to them like the tearing away 2 or 3 times from those that they come to love, then seems to form a pattern..... In later years these same children as adults can and too many times do come to the fact that to love will sooner or later mean to hurt badly, so don't let yourself love...

I think this is one time that the saying "better to have loved and lost , then never have loved at all"

seriously falls by the wayside

JMHO

gonzo

can I also add

Don't take sweets/candy/lollies it rots their teeth.

take fruit etc much better for them

lez

I agree with the truit idea, and you can buy 8 kilo boxes of apples and pears at 150 per box (appox 35 fruit) at the chiang saen pier, in chiang saen...

I wish to add a reply to some of the comments made here and sincerely hope that it can be taken as constructive.

I have noticed that there is a certain element here that like to jump onto someones post mainly just for thier own ego and to try to bring people down.

In reality the vast majority of volunteers are definately not on a "LOOK HOW WONDERFUL I AM" blow my own smoke trip. Basically they are wonderful people. They are good and they volunteer from thier heart. The reward for the volunteer is a sense that they have helped. Sometimes the volunteer may be a bit naive and may ask silly questions or do silly things, but generally what they do is good. I'll repeat that, GOOD.

Now with respect to the case of children in orphanages, there are many avenues to volunteer. You can simply donate money which is always needed! Toys are great. Trade skills can often be utilised. But maybe the biggest gift is the gift of time, giving some orphans your time. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that. All children love to play and have fun, if you can help them do that for a day, a week, a month or even permanent then thats great.

Of course there are some bad apples and perverts out there. But I'll bet that they would be less inclined to carry out thier perversion on these orphans if there happens to be a lot more adult presense about.....Volunteers are GOOD. Good for the orphanage and GOOD for the ORPHANS.

So please don't come onto this forum blowing your own smoke and trying to turn good hearted volunteers away from helping dissadvantaged orphans. They need all the help they can get.

And to all you volunteers....great stuff, you really do make a difference.

I wish to add a reply to some of the comments made here and sincerely hope that it can be taken as constructive.

I have noticed that there is a certain element here that like to jump onto someones post mainly just for thier own ego and to try to bring people down.

In reality the vast majority of volunteers are definately not on a "LOOK HOW WONDERFUL I AM" blow my own smoke trip. Basically they are wonderful people. They are good and they volunteer from thier heart. The reward for the volunteer is a sense that they have helped. Sometimes the volunteer may be a bit naive and may ask silly questions or do silly things, but generally what they do is good. I'll repeat that, GOOD.

Now with respect to the case of children in orphanages, there are many avenues to volunteer. You can simply donate money which is always needed! Toys are great. Trade skills can often be utilised. But maybe the biggest gift is the gift of time, giving some orphans your time. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that. All children love to play and have fun, if you can help them do that for a day, a week, a month or even permanent then thats great.

Of course there are some bad apples and perverts out there. But I'll bet that they would be less inclined to carry out thier perversion on these orphans if there happens to be a lot more adult presense about.....Volunteers are GOOD. Good for the orphanage and GOOD for the ORPHANS.

So please don't come onto this forum blowing your own smoke and trying to turn good hearted volunteers away from helping dissadvantaged orphans. They need all the help they can get.

And to all you volunteers....great stuff, you really do make a difference.

Tiger,

IMHO the question which concerned some posters here was that easy or overly affectionate bonding with the children may cause them pain when they separate from someone whom they have grown to love and trust. I think that is a valid assumption and a sensitive response to a real issue.

I hardly think that sincere volunteers would be dissuaded from helping out by the cautions voiced here. As Sally has said, she is grateful for such well-intended remarks. Two friends from Australia sponsor a child (I think in this same orphanage). They enjoy visiting when they can and bringing useful items for the orphanage & the kids' use. They have also raised this issue of "not getting too close". Parting hurts them and they consider that the children would suffer even more if they demonstrated all the affection they feel.

Ajarn Posted

Maybe you are being a bit too sensitive. :o

Sensitive??? Maybe I am, but we are talking about children.

They have also raised this issue of "not getting too close".

I think that some of you are definately confused on this issue. I have seen my 5 children "BOND" in an afternoon of play or association with others (both other children and adults), this is a natural event and indeed a learning requirement for any child if he or she is to become part of society. It is essential for children in an orphanage to have contact with the community.

Please don't mix up the volunteer with the prospective adoptive parent/s...the prospective adoptive parent/s may very well come along and bond with an individual orphan (not with a whole heap of orphans) over a period of time and then decide not to go any further, this is very damaging to the child in the extreme but this scenario is not the same as the volunteers. The couple/person who wishes to adopt does not approach the orphanage with the same purpose of the volunteer worker. Please don't confuse the two.

I think that some of you are definately confused on this issue. I have seen my 5 children "BOND" in an afternoon of play or association with others (both other children and adults), this is a natural event and indeed a learning requirement for any child if he or she is to become part of society. It is essential for children in an orphanage to have contact with the community.

Please don't mix up the volunteer with the prospective adoptive parent/s...the prospective adoptive parent/s may very well come along and bond with an individual orphan (not with a whole heap of orphans) over a period of time and then decide not to go any further, this is very damaging to the child in the extreme but this scenario is not the same as the volunteers. The couple/person who wishes to adopt does not approach the orphanage with the same purpose of the volunteer worker. Please don't confuse the two.

I assume from the authoritative tone of your post that you hold a position of some influence at an orphanage?

Let me assure you that there is NO confusion from my perspective on the issue of bonding and NO prospective adoption in the wind for the elderly couple mentioned previously.

Your (biological?) children have the benefit of you (and I assume a partner) to be there as their parent(s) when the visitors go home. Children in an orphanage don't have the exact same relationship with their caregivers or volunteers or visitors. While the children hopefully do experience real bonding and love from those who look after them (and vice versa), where a person volunteers briefly it would seem unkind to develop an intense emotional bond with a needy child when the separation is inevitable.

Nor do I believe for a minute that all volunteers have a single motive, as you claim. I guess most, like Sally, will be there for what they can contribute to and learn from the children and the institution. Others may well seek feelings of self-worth, power or aggrandisement from their involvement. I can only agree with other posters who have made this point already.

Edited by fruittbatt

I assume from the authoritative tone of your post that you hold a position of some influence at an orphanage?

My experience is life long earned as well as helping out(volunteering) at the Betong orphanage at Yala province on the Malaysian border between 1983 and 1992.

Let me assure you that there is NO confusion from my perspective on the issue of bonding and NO prospective adoption in the wind for the elderly couple mentioned previously.

I'd say you are still very confused on the issue of bonding as you appear to derive your facts from the experiences of friends. Passing on third hand doesn't really help a forum.

Your (biological?) childrenyes, biological...that means they are minehave the benefit of you (and I assume a partner) to be there as their parent(s) when the visitors go home. Children in an orphanage don't have the exact same relationship with their caregivers or volunteers or visitorsyou are correct, they don't and it seems that you assume that they should. While the children hopefully do experience real bonding and love from those who look after them (and vice versa), where a person volunteers briefly it would seem unkind to develop an intense emotional bond with a needy child when the separation is inevitable. there is no need for the volunteer to develop INTENSE emotional bonds...once again you are confusing the volunteer with prospective adoptive parents and/or sponsers who come to visit without the same intention of a volunteer.

Nor do I believe for a minute that all volunteers have a single motive, as you claim.I never actually claimed that there was only a single motive for the volunteer although i do concede that you assumed that...my statement was more of a counter to a previous post that the majority of volunteers are there to blow smoke up their own pipe(which is the statement that got me posting in the first place) I guess most, like Sally, will be there for what they can contribute to and learn from the children and the institution. Others may well seek feelings of self-worth, power or aggrandisement from their involvementThey may well be, but this would be a very minor amount of volunteers and not the majority that you seem to support. I can only agree with other posters who have made this point already.

Your intentions seem well, although misguided and ill informed. A pity you are confused on the issue. CHILREN DO NEED TO BONDWITH PEOPLE FROM ALL PARTS OF THE COMMUNITY. IT DOES NOT HAVE TO BE THE BOND OF A PARENT/GUARDIAN, IT ALL HELPS IN THIER LEARNING PROCESS TO BECOMING A WELL ROUNDED MEMBER OF SOCIETY. NOT ALL ORPHANS WILL FIND A HAPPY HOME AND THESE ONES EVEN MORE SO BOTH NEED AND REQUIRE INTERACTION WITH ALL SORTS OF DIFFERENT MEMBERS OF THE COMMUNITY. To think that by sheltering them and holing them up "prison like" is foolish.

My experience is life long earned as well as helping out(volunteering) at the Betong orphanage at Yala province on the Malaysian border between 1983 and 1992.

I'd say you are still very confused on the issue of bonding as you appear to derive your facts from the experiences of friends. Passing on third hand doesn't really help a forum.

Your (biological?) childrenyes, biological...that means they are minehave the benefit of you (and I assume a partner) to be there as their parent(s) when the visitors go home. Children in an orphanage don't have the exact same relationship with their caregivers or volunteers or visitorsyou are correct, they don't and it seems that you assume that they should. While the children hopefully do experience real bonding and love from those who look after them (and vice versa), where a person volunteers briefly it would seem unkind to develop an intense emotional bond with a needy child when the separation is inevitable. there is no need for the volunteer to develop INTENSE emotional bonds...once again you are confusing the volunteer with prospective adoptive parents and/or sponsers who come to visit without the same intention of a volunteer.

Nor do I believe for a minute that all volunteers have a single motive, as you claim.I never actually claimed that there was only a single motive for the volunteer although i do concede that you assumed that...my statement was more of a counter to a previous post that the majority of volunteers are there to blow smoke up their own pipe(which is the statement that got me posting in the first place) I guess most, like Sally, will be there for what they can contribute to and learn from the children and the institution. Others may well seek feelings of self-worth, power or aggrandisement from their involvementThey may well be, but this would be a very minor amount of volunteers and not the majority that you seem to support. I can only agree with other posters who have made this point already.

Your intentions seem well, although misguided and ill informed. A pity you are confused on the issue. CHILREN DO NEED TO BONDWITH PEOPLE FROM ALL PARTS OF THE COMMUNITY. IT DOES NOT HAVE TO BE THE BOND OF A PARENT/GUARDIAN, IT ALL HELPS IN THIER LEARNING PROCESS TO BECOMING A WELL ROUNDED MEMBER OF SOCIETY. NOT ALL ORPHANS WILL FIND A HAPPY HOME AND THESE ONES EVEN MORE SO BOTH NEED AND REQUIRE INTERACTION WITH ALL SORTS OF DIFFERENT MEMBERS OF THE COMMUNITY. To think that by sheltering them and holing them up "prison like" is foolish.

Dear Bloody Tiger,

Something that as a new poster you may not be aware of.... it is considered in bad taste and rude to post is all Caps. This is comparable to yelling or screaming at those you are wishing to inform.

Now with regard to the issue. I am sorry that you see things the way you do, and I agree with others that have posted, you may be over reacting and are overly sensitive to the issue. Just perhaps you also may be too closely involved to see things as most others do.

Volunteering is generally good, but all volunteers are not necessarily good. Those who indeed wish to do the best for the children's sake and do think things through, I am sure would be welcome at most children's homes.

I can respect and appreciate your having done volunteer work at orphanages for 9 years, but that alone does not make one an expert by any means. As another example , George Bush went to the finest of schools, but did he receive a education, perhaps world opinion says not.

Children have, do and will continue to bond with adult parent figures. Bonding may be considered mostly good, but there is a downside to that bonding, and that is the tearing away from the parent figure if and when that "Do Goody Volunteer" decides that they have done enough good for the moment and decides to move on to other self satisfying gratification. Maybe you are not one of this type, I or we do not know you well enough to make that kind of judgment, but there are more than a few of the aforementioned "Do Gooders" in this neighborhood and world.

You do not seem to be able to recognize this fact. All volunteers are not good. A properly operated children's facility, with a good administrator will acknowledge this fact and try their best to screen any volunteer looking to associate with the children. This is an excellent decision, and I applaud it.

Sometimes in many tasks, we get too close to things to be able to make an independent and impartial decision on matters. Vested interest, conflict of interest, or being too close to the forest to see the trees , comes to mind.

So please don't misinterpret, volunteering is good, not all volunteers are good. Here we are talking about something that is most precious to us all, and that is the next or future generations.

Again love the children First, love yourself and your ego second, and you probably will find that those who you will tell about your endeavors in the future will possibly be more impressed with your accomplishments. Bloody Tiger this last , so you aren't confused, is not directed towards your personally, but directed at those who are not aware that their ego driven, self satisfaction is or may not be visible to themselves.

Just MHO

Bloody Tiger,

I have no intention of allowing this thread to degenerate into a slanging match or power-trip about whose perceptions are more valid or helpful to the children concerned.

My experience with needy children is limited. Yours is extensive and I salute you for your dedication to the children in Yala over many years.

I have worked very briefly in Colombo with street children at a day-school and care-centre. They were affectionate, bright kids, with a self-effacing, talented, dedicated, and loving teacher. I took my cue from her in relating with the children. This meant treating all kids as equally important individuals: a very hard call for an untrained person who is not a teacher. Especially difficult when some kids compete very hard for attention and affection from the newbie volunteer.

I believe it takes considerable maturity and practice to address the needs of individual children while being scrupulously fair to all. From my limited experience, it is difficult to avoid forming a special bond with a really bright avid child and to appreciate each child for his/her unique qualities.

Hi people

hope you dont mind me jumping in but I've been considering volunteer work somewhere in Thailand since a holiday earlier this year. I'll admit that before my holiday I was very materialistic, and 'self, self, self' (alas a great deal of westerners are) but since I've been back in UK, my entire outlook has changed. I no longer need a 32" flat tv and new bmw, I now realise its not what you have, its what you do with your time.

I've realised how lucky I am, and would love to help others in any way I can (doesnt have to be in an orphanage, I'd happily gather crops, help build in villages etc) and am hoping to next year. I'm starting to look into it, several months in advance so I know I can make a difference, no matter how small it may be.

I guess a bit of it is to feel good about yourself, but I've gone from being take take take to wanting to give a little back

Any help greatly appreciated

• 2 weeks later...

Gonzo

I agree with Bloody tiger.

I would like to know why you are degrading volunteers?, by calling them Do Gooders and people wanting an Ego boost?

These are people who give time off their holiday or whatever they are in thailand for, to give the orphanes some joy, or much needed gifts such as fruit or milk. Sure beats the tourists that are simply in the country to booze-up and party. The reason people volunteer is to give something to the needy children... its a huge thing to do just for an ego boost.. so i think you may be the one here that has their 'wires crossed' about what vounteering is about.

Even if they only volunteer a little bit of time during a day, it will bring some joy to the children. Would you rather the children never know about unconditional love from a stranger and know that there are people out there who love them even if they dont know them?

I take my hat off to these volunteers. And i wonder why you seem to be so against the idea of volunteering? Sounds to me like you may be the one trying to get the ego boost through this forum.

Edited by TravelBUG

Gonzo

I agree with Bloody tiger.

I would like to know why you are degrading volunteers?, by calling them Do Gooders and people wanting an Ego boost?

These are people who give time off their holiday or whatever they are in thailand for, to give the orphanes some joy, or much needed gifts such as fruit or milk. Sure beats the tourists that are simply in the country to booze-up and party. The reason people volunteer is to give something to the needy children... its a huge thing to do just for an ego boost.. so i think you may be the one here that has their 'wires crossed' about what vounteering is about.

Even if they only volunteer a little bit of time during a day, it will bring some joy to the children. Would you rather the children never know about unconditional love from a stranger and know that there are people out there who love them even if they dont know them?

I take my hat off to these volunteers. And i wonder why you seem to be so against the idea of volunteering? Sounds to me like you may be the one trying to get the ego boost through this forum.

Travel bug

You seem , like some others, to read selective sentences, those to your own liking.... I never tried to say or tried to imply that volunteering or volunteers are/were bad. I said some volunteers do this type of thing for their own ego.

Now once and for all and finally, so read it carefully. "Certain volunteering and volunteers is/are good. Many volunteers or volunteering are/is not, that specifically is pointed at those who are on their own kick to show all their friends how much good they have done...... Those people are not helping out any other, only themselves.

Lets look at it in a way that may be more understandable to yourself and others.

How many lay-down , everynite wiped out alcoholics do you think admit they have a problem with alcohol. I don't know either, but I do know that there are a lot more than there are in the AA meetings. These alcoholics just don't think they have a problem with alcohol...

The same applies to the, , yes, "do-gooders".... They cannot see the forest for the trees. Their stated reasoning for doing and the actual reason for doing do not match.

Volunteering can be very good and rewarding to both parties. I have done a bit of myself for years.

So hear and read me clearly. Volunteering can be very good. All volunteers and volunteering are/is not automatically good.

I am sure that there are, out there, those that think Ted Bundy was such a good guy for donating his time tutoring the young ladies he met.....

I suggest you read entire posts, and not take things out of context

Gonzo

Edited by Gonzo the Face

I believe that Gonzo is correct in what he says in that not all volunteers are good and that the children should come before the egos of some volunteers. I don’t understand why TravelBUG and bloody tiger etc can’t accept that. Do their egos get in the way?

People like Sally should be encouraged to help as and when they can but Gonzo made some very valid points that I for one hadn’t considered at all – this is one of the reasons why I enjoy Thai Visa you get many different perspectives on the same issue some of which you agree with and some you don’t.

I believe that Gonzo is correct in what he says in that not all volunteers are good and that the children should come before the egos of some volunteers. I don’t understand why TravelBUG and bloody tiger etc can’t accept that. Do their egos get in the way?

People like Sally should be encouraged to help as and when they can but Gonzo made some very valid points that I for one hadn’t considered at all – this is one of the reasons why I enjoy Thai Visa you get many different perspectives on the same issue some of which you agree with and some you don’t.

well said!

• 11 months later...
can I also add

Don't take sweets/candy/lollies it rots their teeth.

take fruit etc much better for them

lez

I feel fortunate. I want to help someone that is less fortunate than myself due to actions not of their own doing, such as a child. I do not have lots of free time to volunteer, but I know cash and fruits would be appreciated at any orphanage. Can someone give directions to one in CM please?

Thailand has given me so much, just feel I should try to give a little back.

Best,

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

I would very much appreciate details of how to contact the Vieng Ping home. Website adresses which have been posted previously are for a magazine article rather than the home itself. If anyone has an e-mail or postal address I would be grateful. I want to write in order to discuss sponsering a child or children there.

thank-you

Chrissy.

Where is that pier talked about ?? Is it on the Mekong and handles all the produce coming in from China ??

Can someone advise the number of farang/thai kids/babies in these orphanages ??

Andf as for taking a child out for the day, it is possible, I know someone that does it in Bangkok, but he and yes HE, has been a volunteer at this particular orphanage for a long time and often goes together with his wife and takes the kids out for a day or whatever.