SURVEY: Do you agree with the Immigration Rules to ban those with an overstay?

SURVEY: Do you agree with Immigration Rules on visa overstayers?  

279 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I would, in principle agree with the rules, but what about someone who is in hospital seriously ill or in a coma?

Immigration needs to have rules at every IO in Thailand, allowing overstay to be overlooked if a doctor states

in writing, a letter telling IOs about a patients condition, instead of allowing IO bosses to decide themselves.

Being in a country where there is no such thing as justice I can't quite understand why any foreigner living here would support such a law. Find yourself in an accident and you too may be deported and banned from thailand for 5 or 10 years. Don't believe me? Then ask yourself would your family know what to do if you found yourself incapacitated? Think the Thai courts will bend the law just for you even if you did have a genuine reason?

Find yourself in a serious accident, you have no need to be on an overstay, there is provision within the existing laws to extend a visa, stay on medical grounds via a doctors or hospital letter

I would, in principle agree with the rules, but what about someone who is in hospital seriously ill or in a coma?

Immigration needs to have rules at every IO in Thailand, allowing overstay to be overlooked if a doctor states

in writing, a letter telling IOs about a patients condition, instead of allowing IO bosses to decide themselves.

Most hospitals that accept farang patients have an officer that liases with the local Immi office for medical extensions IME.

I would classify overstayers as undesirables. There is no excuse for long overstaying. Its very easy to get a 3 month extension if you are sick or ill. Most of them took advantage of the easy visa requirements to live in Thailand and now that the country is trying to come in line with others as far as immigration is concerned they do nothing but complain and insult the immigration department.

They may have Thai wives and children, but that does not give them any special rights. They can get a marriage visa and if they do not have enough funds they should not expect to be able to stay here. I am sure a Thai in similar circumstances would not be able to stay in thier countries.

"There is no excuse for long overstaying. Its very easy to get a 3 month extension if you are sick or ill."

Absolute garbage, a lot depends on an IOs mood. It is not in the rules that IOs must act on a doctors letter.

IOs make up their own rules, so tell me how it is easy to get a three month extension if you are sick or ill.

• Like 2

I would classify overstayers as undesirables. There is no excuse for long overstaying. Its very easy to get a 3 month extension if you are sick or ill. Most of them took advantage of the easy visa requirements to live in Thailand and now that the country is trying to come in line with others as far as immigration is concerned they do nothing but complain and insult the immigration department.

They may have Thai wives and children, but that does not give them any special rights. They can get a marriage visa and if they do not have enough funds they should not expect to be able to stay here. I am sure a Thai in similar circumstances would not be able to stay in thier countries.

No need for an overstay in the case of a serious illness, there are provsions in the rules to get an extension on any visa or stay on the say so of a doctor or hospital and in fact some hospitals have immigration liason desks in the hospital

So your asking for something which already exists

Yes, I believe you are right, but at the end of the day, the Immigration Officials have the final say. I do believe that most of the time the IOs will grant

the extension, but there are exceptions.

Most hospitals that accept farang patients have an officer that liases with the local Immi office for medical extensions IME.

Yes, but there are exceptions This is Thailand. all different establishments make up their own rules, and I don't think hospitals are any exception.

Yes, but there are exceptions This is Thailand. all different establishments make up their own rules, and I don't think hospitals are any exception.

There are exceptions to everything in life, not just in Thailand

• Like 1

Got a 3 months extension fairly easy after an operation. It was years ago but the I/O barely looked through the door and didn't even come in.

I guess it varies from hospital to hospital and I/O to I/O unfortunately.

• Like 1

Being in a country where there is no such thing as justice I can't quite understand why any foreigner living here would support such a law. Find yourself in an accident and you too may be deported and banned from thailand for 5 or 10 years. Don't believe me? Then ask yourself would your family know what to do if you found yourself incapacitated? Think the Thai courts will bend the law just for you even if you did have a genuine reason?

Find yourself in a serious accident, you have no need to be on an overstay, there is provision within the existing laws to extend a visa, stay on medical grounds via a doctors or hospital letter

Suppose someone is in a coma, may even for weeks, the hospital don't know what visa they have, nor should they, their job is to treat patients.

The persons wife or family are more interested in seeing them getting well again instead of having to have added worry about a countries immigration rules.

There are exceptions to everything in life, not just in Thailand

Yes, you are right, but this topic is only about Thailand, not any other country. Don't get the impression that I am a Thai basher, I am not.

I love Thailand, and I do believe that the good outweighs the bad here, but I do call things as I see them.

Suppose someone is in a coma, may even for weeks, the hospital don't know what visa they have, nor should they, their job is to treat patients.

The persons wife or family are more interested in seeing them getting well again instead of having to have added worry about a countries immigration rules.

The persons family doesnt have to worry about it, give the persons pp to the hospital and they will take care of it via their immigration liasion..

If they have a "john doe" all the hospital needs to do is inform immigration...they have an unknown person in coma

Edited by ubonjoe
inflammatory comment removed

Find yourself in an accident and unconscious without ID and try to find out how well that provision works.

Find yourself in an accident and unconscious without ID and try to find out how well that provision works.

See post #28