Alternatives to Limes in concrete rings.

Allgeier

We have also about 100 Rings. But the most Limes not grow. I think we bought the wrong sort.

Now is the Question to replace the old Limes or put somethink differant insite.

Guave: From 10 trees today 3 alive

Mango: From 5 trees 2 still alive

My thinking goes in this direction to replace maybe 50 Limes with Limes and the rest with somethink else.

But what will grow?

Or take the ring away and plant grass?

Allgeier

I am not sure about the ph in the soil. Because we have 5 Limetree from somebody else and there grow normal.

5 grow normal and 90 not grow.

I will take them out because i hurt my eys everyday when i must see them. But what i can put inside else than Limes?

This will be the question.

Water management for container plants is an intense and serious matter, and water deficit is the most common reason for plant decline and mortality in my experience. I do diagnosis of plant problems all day, every day. If you are growing in containers, then you are already at a big disadvantage, and you have to have the soil moisture meter out and working with you every day. Plants in containers cannot grow a full absorbing root system because of the absolute restriction in soil volume and expansive root growth. When the root system is contained and limited, then the absorption of water and nutrients are limited, and you have to be on top of it and provide what the plants cannot get for themselves. Plants in the ground are better off and more sustainable, especially for the uninformed or lazy.

If you have limes in concrete rings i would be

a) checking the pH in the soil

B) adjusting the pH to neutral - iron chelates will be the first additive with micro nutrients .

You found iron cheaters in Thailand? Name in Thai please.

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByThaivisa Connect1458788347.960488.jpgattachicon.gif

We have a few dragon fruit plants in concrete rings at the side of our house. It's too early to see how much fruit we'll get. Of course being cacti they are not afraid of drought but we do water them from our borehole.

There is a concrite bottom insite the ring or the post stay deeper insite?

drtreelove:

Plants in the ground are better off and more sustainable, especially for the uninformed or lazy.

Our neighbor have Limes without of ring. And there pretty nice. I am jelouse of the tree from them. And there are not old. Only about 2 year. But he spend a lot of time for cutting the gras and must be very carefull not cut the dropping line when he cut the grass. The grasscutting is easy with the ring.

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByThaivisa Connect1458788347.960488.jpgattachicon.gif

We have a few dragon fruit plants in concrete rings at the side of our house. It's too early to see how much fruit we'll get. Of course being cacti they are not afraid of drought but we do water them from our borehole.

They are just concrete rings with no base. We generally use matured rice husks as compost as it is free for us.

drtreelove:

Plants in the ground are better off and more sustainable, especially for the uninformed or lazy.

Our neighbor have Limes without of ring. And there pretty nice. I am jelouse of the tree from them. And there are not old. Only about 2 year. But he spend a lot of time for cutting the gras and must be very carefull not cut the dropping line when he cut the grass. The grasscutting is easy with the ring.

The weeds are the big challenge, and probably the primary reason that people plant in containers, other than blind tradition. There are options for weed control. A thick layer of mulch will suppress a large percent of weeds, larger and aggressive growth comes through, but easier to manage a few. And the mulch decays and builds soil organic matter content, CEC - cation exchange capacity, humus and soil structure formation, and enhances soil biology that has so many benefits.

Some growers use newspaper or permeable landscape fabric on the soil surface for weed suppression.

Regarding your manao tree mortality, I mentioned water deficit, but the other side of the coin with containers, is that if drainage is impaired, waterlogged soil can contribute to root rot. Citrus are very susceptible to root and crown rot if the soil stays too wet (Phytophthora cinnamomi is a water-mold, a fungus-like organism ). For container plantings a soil moisture meter is a beautiful thing. I have a professional one with a three foot probe (from ForestrySuppliers.com I think, or maybe BenMeadows.com), but 10 to 12 inchers are more affordable and available.

Other reasons for tree decline could be nutrient deficiencies or imbalances as others have mentioned, but usually not mortality unless there is a toxicity aspect, like high salts or toxic level of Boron. Your land dept soil test will probably not address this. Water management, too much or too little is my best guess.

drtreelove:

For container plantings a soil moisture meter is a beautiful thing.

The Thainame for soil moisture meter is

เครื่องวัดความชื้นดิน

http://soilmeter.blog.com/

and this one

http://soilmeter.blog.com/2012/09/20/soil-meter-cmt-1289/

is about 1000 Bath. But i couldnt find the website with the price.

It's will be true what the meter show after? No idee.

This soil moisture Meter works with measuring the conductivity.

In my opinion not so good or useful.

The better ones are the barometric ones though you can't use them in pots because they need a certain depth.

But for the rings they can be used. I've seen them many times already

Sorry the correct term is Soil tensiometer.

In the Kehakaset AG magazine there's always one company advertising with the lime in concrete rings in the background picture and offering a complete irrigation system.

Archived