Death Railway restoration to complete in June

webfact

Death Railway restoration to complete in June
STAFF WRITER

drw.jpg
Featured image is by Mrnaz and is used under a Creative Commons licence

KANCHANABURI: -- One of Thailand’s most vivid remnants of World War II is the Death Railway – originally a 415 km stretch of train track between Ban Pong in Thailand and Thanbyuzayat in the now-Myanmar, built on the command of Japan using forced labour from the Asian Romusha and Allied prisoners of war (POWs).
Over 180,000 Romusha – Asian civilian labourers – and 60,000 POWs worked on the railway, with over 100,000 workers dying there as a result of their efforts.

Built in 1943, Japan designed the line in order to support their war efforts in the Burma (now Myanmar) war campaign. Many Japanese military officials involved in the Death Railway were tried and sentenced to death for war crimes as a result of it.

The line closed after the conclusion of the war in 1947, although the section between Nam Tok and Nong Pla Duk was reopened in 1957.

Full story: http://whatsonsukhumvit.com/death-railway-restoration-to-complete-in-june/

whats-on-sukhumvit.png
-- (c) What's on Sukhumvit 2016-03-23

Thainess personified. The museum run by Australias and New Zealand is professionally done and free and those run by Thai is subject to dual pricing. Imagine if in Europe our culture was to charge entrance fees to WWII memorials.

Thailand history in WWII is shameful especially their involvement in a joint venture agreement with the Japanese to build this railway.

Thainess at ist best when foreigners must pay a special price to travel on the train from Thornburi to Kanchanaburi.

Thainess personified. The museum run by Australias and New Zealand is professionally done and free and those run by Thai is subject to dual pricing. Imagine if in Europe our culture was to charge entrance fees to WWII memorials.

Thailand history in WWII is shameful especially their involvement in a joint venture agreement with the Japanese to build this railway.

Thainess at ist best when foreigners must pay a special price to travel on the train from Thornburi to Kanchanaburi.

Your comments are pretty well spot on , I'll be out and about on the 25th April, ANZAC day , to thank all those who sacrificed their life so I could be free and able to write this to you today. clap2.gif

I visited the cemetary in june last year being ex millitary it was something i wanted to do ,it is tragic the ages of some of these men and when you read the stories how any survived is amazing when i march on anzac day i will remeber them "lest we forget ".

The conclusion of the war was in September 1945. The statement that the line was closed following the end of the war is correct, but simultaneously misleading.

The war did not end in 1947.

The statement was not that the line closed "following the end of the war" but "after the conclusion of the war" and 2 extra commas would have been more clear.

The line closed, after the conclusion of the war, in 1947, although the section between Nam Tok and Nong Pla Duk was reopened in 1957.