What are they building?

Bangkok Barry

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I so miss a smaller Pattaya. I don't need any malls. I have plenty of malls here in the USA, California and Florida being my two principal places. I don't go to Pattaya to shop in some glittery place for things that I am not going to buy. I am there touristing for 30 or 60 days. I am not accumulating anything. The old Big C, an old Carre 4, and the gardens mall at the other end of town were all I needed. The Thai locals don't use these big malls. And I don't think that many foreigners spend that much money there. If they would spend the money on fixing the filthy beach water, they would draw more money

The former Carrefour, now Big C Extra, is almost always busy ... both Thais and farang. I agree we don't need anymore malls, but Pattaya is not just for thirty day tourists. When I first took up residence here I needed to travel to Bangkok for some shopping. I miss the smaller Pattaya, but am happy to have greater shopping venues.

"I am..." "I am..."

Any idea that you are not alone in this world ?

And do you think that they are stupid enough to build a mall if they are not 100% sure to make profit ?

I so miss a smaller Pattaya. I don't need any malls. I have plenty of malls here in the USA, California and Florida being my two principal places. I don't go to Pattaya to shop in some glittery place for things that I am not going to buy. I am there touristing for 30 or 60 days. I am not accumulating anything. The old Big C, an old Carre 4, and the gardens mall at the other end of town were all I needed. The Thai locals don't use these big malls. And I don't think that many foreigners spend that much money there. If they would spend the money on fixing the filthy beach water, they would draw more money

Are you joking? Of course they are stupid enough to build a mall if they are not 100% sure. They build the mall with investor money that they don't give a darn about. Look at the Avenue. Half deserted. Central is far from standing room only. No skin off my nose. Somebody thinks they are "modernizing" Pattaya, but they haven't put a dime into the filthy sewer and septic situation and the filthy water that is not fit for swimming.

Thank you so much, we need more smart opinions like yours, as it seems that you know so much about companies and investment in Thailand ! So lucky us to have you here <3

But if you want to know more even when your knowledge already seem to be complete, you can find some information online to know to whom belongs the money invested....

"I am..." "I am..."

Any idea that you are not alone in this world ?

And do you think that they are stupid enough to build a mall if they are not 100% sure to make profit ?

Are you joking? Of course they are stupid enough to build a mall if they are not 100% sure. They build the mall with investor money that they don't give a darn about. Look at the Avenue. Half deserted. Central is far from standing room only. No skin off my nose. Somebody thinks they are "modernizing" Pattaya, but they haven't put a dime into the filthy sewer and septic situation and the filthy water that is not fit for swimming.

really? another mall? with all the same shops selling all the same stuff at exactly the same prices as all the other shops and malls nearby? well at least you dont need to go 200m down beach road now to buy kfc and mcdonalds crap. nice.

If KFC and McDonalds are crap, i wonder how they became popular enough to serve millions of people every day. They provide what people want, always a good business model to follow don't you think?

I've been eating KFC since the 70's... something has changed though - either my taste buds, or the cooking process has deteriorated.

Might actually improve traffic as some of the BKK hordes descending would take Nua instead of cramming to Central.

They should put these things next to the intersection of highway 7 and suk, let them graze there together with their beloved Chinese ancestors.

Edited by DrTuner

Are you joking? Of course they are stupid enough to build a mall if they are not 100% sure.

Retail investment is always based on probabilities and projections, and is never risk-free. In a quasi-free market economy, businesses come & go all the time. So by the 100% measure you can't invest in any private business without being stupid.

However, it's a symptom characteristic of TVF Poster New Construction Syndrome (TVFPNCS) to call those responsible for the new (doomed) construction "stupid."

thaibeachlovers, on 2009-05-29 19:01:26:

Central World is going to fail, just like The Avenues. Anyone stupid enough to build a place that charges Bangkok prices in a small tourist resort town deserves to go bankrupt.

morrobay, on 2009-05-31 11:14:05:

thaibeachlovers is Right On the facts

Yet in those days if instead posturing as financial gurus they'd faced reality and invested a million in shares of CPN, then at the end of 2015 those shares would be worth over 4 million.

They build the mall with investor money that they don't give a darn about. Look at the Avenue. Half deserted.

More likely The Avenue's owners cared but simply made some bad decisions--in retrospect; it wasn't so obvious at the time. Shenanigan's even moved over there, after all, and then lost its shirt. Happens all the time.

Be reassured that in this case LH chairman Anant Asavabhokin notes that LH, the majority investor, is exercising due caution with LH shareholders' money:

Anant added that the retail sector in Thailand was showing great potential with upcountry locations looking particularly strong but said LH would cautious in 2016 as the country’s economic situation still remains cloudy. . . .“We will maintain business expansion next year to be equivalent to this year’s,” he noted. “It is our conservative investment plan in the current economic situation. We need to wait and see if there will be clarity . . . .

--http://www.ddproperty.com/en/property-news/2015/10/109213/land-and-houses-to-take-terminal-21-to-pattaya-and

He doesn't sound so stupid, actually, particularly when you consider that share price of LHSC is up 28% year-to-date. You might compare that to the interest you earned on your bank deposit. Siam Commercial Bank seems to be a pretty good financial advisor. This project is in a whole different league than The Avenue. Location's good. The classic backup argument will be that there won't be enough shoppers. That's exactly what was said on the forum about Siam Paragon. smile.png And when Big C took over Carrefour, one reason it was predicted to fail because we already had enough Big Cs in the area. Etc. But it's likely (sad to say for the traffic situation) that the new Terminal 21 will attract even more tourists & "overnight visitors" to take up the slack.

Central is far from standing room only. No skin off my nose.

I can verify that the food court approached standing-room only this past high season. No wonder CPN cited it in the quarterly report. CentralFestival Pattaya Beach has been quite successful. I can't speak to the N. PTY Central, haven't been in there in ages.

Now I'd strongly advise caution about the "my eyeballs at a few random intervals" measure. Been proven misleading. I mean, near-sightedness is such a problem for our members: can't see any punters in the bars, no condo lights on at night, no shoppers. Pretty soon your knickers are in a twist, you're in a Last Man On Earth scenario, and you've gone & started another DYING PATTAYA thread. smile.png

If vacancies at Central ever rise to >10%, then you can say it has a problem.

Somebody thinks they are "modernizing" Pattaya, but they haven't put a dime into the filthy sewer and septic situation and the filthy water that is not fit for swimming.

Ah. Well, you see, LH and Siam Retail Development Co., Ltd, have announced that they think they're doing retail property development, not sewage treatment. Moreover, everyone seems to agree that that is in fact what they're good at. Presumably people will be shopping instead of swimming. wink.png Now, they mustn't be confused with what our cloud-based members call "The Authorities" and that great Satan, City Hall. Very different entities.

From what I can tell, the new Terminal 21 will indeed offer a "modern" shopping experience to its customers. Unlike the Soi Buakhao market, it'll at least have aircon. Your water/beach obsession belongs in another topic, actually.

Edited by JSixpack

Pattaya malls

Mikes shopping mall

Royal Garden plaza

Central Festival mall

Central Center mall on north 2nd road

The new beach road mall (The Bay) unopened

Terminal 21 mall unopened

Tukcom mall

The Harbor Mall

The Avenue

The Outlet Mall on Thepassit Rd.

Pattaya malls

Mikes shopping mall

Royal Garden plaza

Central Festival mall

Tukcom mall

The Harbor Mall

The Avenue

It depends on your definition of a mall. Just because you use the word "mall" doesn't make it one.

According to my last count there's only one mall in Pattaya: Central Festival.

I'll assess Harbor Mall after it opens to see if it qualifies.

The most important feature of a mall is a department store. That's what makes a mall a real mall and not just another glorified shopping center.smile.png

pattaya dont need one more shopping mall, thats plain stupid, or it might be money laundering!

Pattaya might not need it - but we like it!biggrin.png

What I think is "plain stupid" is people thinking that a huge commercial zone like Pattaya should be limited to one shopping mall (Central). It's all about competition and competition is good for all of us.

pattaya dont need one more shopping mall, thats plain stupid, or it might be money laundering!

What I think is "plain stupid" is people thinking that a huge commercial zone like Pattaya should be limited to one shopping mall (Central). It's all about competition and competition is good for all of us.

you need shopping malls just few hundred meters apart??! pattaya dont need one more empty malls, and you desperatly need few more brain cellswhistling.gif

"huge commercial zone like Pattaya"

what they do sell in pattaya? laugh.png

Billions of baht yet again pouring into Pattaya City for more development. The Pattaya haters hate it. Stuck in a corrugated tin shack in the village on the bones of their ass with their iffy Internet connection it's their only way of communication with the outside world.

Thank You Pattaya City. I wouldn't want to be anywhere else in the world.

Billions of baht yet again pouring into Pattaya City for more development.

Only persons benefiting from these mega malls in Pattaya are the ones working there or building them. The profits will flow to BKK.

I've never understood people yapping about GDP or some such average indicators for some area. All I care about is what I personally get out of it. In this malls case, perhaps a distraction for the incoming hordes of the North and consequent less congested way of passage through Tai in less than two hours. Everything else is negative.

Pattaya malls

Mikes shopping mall

Royal Garden plaza

Central Festival mall

Tukcom mall

The Harbor Mall

The Avenue

It depends on your definition of a mall. Just because you use the word "mall" doesn't make it one.

The most important feature of a mall is a department store. That's what makes a mall a real mall and not just another glorified shopping center.smile.png

Then the new Terminal 21 is not a mall by this definition because it has no anchor tenant(department store), just like Terminal 21 in Bangkok. My definition of a mall is more liberal than that.

Pattaya malls

Mikes shopping mall

Royal Garden plaza

Central Festival mall

Tukcom mall

The Harbor Mall

The Avenue

Then the new Terminal 21 is not a mall by this definition because it has no anchor tenant(department store), just like Terminal 21 in Bangkok. My definition of a mall is more liberal than that.

Whatever you call these mega shopping centers they are getting bigger and bigger. Harbor Mall could hold about 5 Tucoms. And this project at Pattaya Nua/2nd rd is very very large area. I was wrong about Central Festival but these two projects are only going to be profitable if millions of Bangkok Thais support them. So hopefully they are both going to be huge loses

I wonder what sort of twisted mind would want 2 nice, new shopping centers to be "huge losses". All I seem to ever hear on TV is moaning and groaning about how Pattaya doesn't have anything to offer except sex. Well, Harbor Mall especially, from what I have heard, will be trying to offer entertainment that is more family-oriented with an ice skating rink, rock climbing wall, cable ride, and entertainment and educational things geared to children. So, why would you want that to fail? Boggles the mind. And, here's a shout-out to the poster who said he only comes to Pattaya for 3 weeks and hates that Pattaya has any malls as he can shop at malls back home. Well, some of us (including Thais!) are living here year round and we welcome more shopping options and competition. Does anyone think Central Center would be renovating in a few months if Terminal 21 wasn't being planned for right down the street? Choice and competition are good. I look forward to shopping at both Harbor Mall and Terminal 21. Both sound fun.

Edited by Rimmer
Fonts corrected

gk10002000- No one is forcing you to enter these malls or shopping centers so stay away from them. Retired Westerners such as yourself may not need to shop for a new wardrobe, TV, pair of glasses, or a selection of restaurants under one roof. Also, a shopping center such as Central on Beach Road has made Pattaya more appealing to visit or live in. And let's not forget how convent these places are for families. Sounds like you need to move to Korat.

you need shopping malls just few hundred meters apart??! pattaya dont need one more empty malls, and you desperatly need few more brain cells:whistling:

"huge commercial zone like Pattaya"

what they do sell in pattaya? laugh.png

For what it's worth, I spent a few weeks in Pattaya and completely avoided the 'Scene' and still had an enjoyable time:

-- Skip Soi 6, 6/1 (the latter as a general rule)

-- Skip Soi Diana (Where there is a corner full of gogos)

-- Skip for the most part the beer bars adjacent to Central Festival

-- Skip most (but not all) of walking street

-- Skip out some of the beer bar complexes

(Put another way, if you do not explicitly walk into a Go-Go, and do walk around with your GF clinging to you, no other girl will bother you unless you approach them)

That still leaves a *VERY* large city (Pattaya is one of the largest cities in Thailand), and lots of entertainment options:

-- Pool halls

-- Beer Bars with live music (go there with your GF and none of the girls will bother you)

-- Great live music in bars in Walking Street (don't go into anything whose inside is not visible from the street and you'll have a grand old time)

-- Endless restaurants

-- Lots of shopping options / malls which are obviously not part of the scene

-- Go karts, beaches, swimming pools, cinemas, bowling, karaoke (sadly Thai only!)

And once you leave Central Pattaya (dark side, jomtien, nakula) you would hardly know there was a scene going on unless you were looking for it.

Relevant threads: When boredom starts to rule the day, I Love Pattaya, and Why live in Pattaya?.

Today I was in central in rayong that open just a few months ago. Was really full of pepole and 99% Thai. Thai like big mall. This new one in Pattaya will be another succes. The problem will be traffic . Is already a dramma to drive a car in the weekend in Pattaya nua, second road ecc

It's about time that a shopping mall is being built. Pattaya really needs a shopping mall.

Absolutely. If Pattaya is to shed it's current seedy image and broaden it's appeal it needs more than one decent mall. The more the merrier - bring them on! biggrin.png