choose carefully

Puwa

I was at the US Consulate yesterday handling some paperwork. Around me was the usual array of citizens needing service: the single guys enjoying their twilight, the mixed couples with impossibly cute children, missionaries in long skirts and funny hats, their pasty children in tow; a testy, overweight woman bridling at whatever inconvenience she had to endure, a gay bachelor trying to chat up the young male Thai staffer working safely behind bulletproof glass, et al.

Anyway, among the supplicants was a handsome couple, apparently preparing for a move to the States, with all the visa and marriage stuff that entails. While I was standing at Winndow 1, the bride was making inquiries at Window 2. She lowered her voice and asked the clerk in Thai, "OK, and once I'm in America, when I am ready to divorce, where can I take care of that?"

Poor <deleted>. If you are reading this, please know that it's not too late to save yourself.

Usually they try to schedule appointments at the U.S. Consulate so that they don't get so congested and backed up with customers. Also, they don't like to handle more than one customer at a time in at the window, for privacy reasons. I find the story a little far-fetched.

NancyL, read closely and you will see that we were at different, adjacent windows.

Yes, I read that you were at adjacent windows and usually they don't schedule so tightly that people are standing next to each other like that.

For one thing, Tuesdays and Thursdays are reserved for American Citizen Services, so I'd question why a Thai citizen was at the Consulate apparently taking care of services related to her visa for the U.S. She normally would have come on a Monday or Wednesday. Secondly, she'd be a fool to ask a question like this of someone who might have control over granting her a visa. Thirdly, the acoustics are terrible. As you pointed out, the Consulate workers are safely behind thick glass and you speak to them thru a microphone and can barely hear their replies. It's just not the place that someone would ask a question like this.

The rest of the story is somewhat believable, although it sounds like a rather crowded day at the Consulate, especially for low season. As I said, they schedule the appointments so that they move people right along and you don't spend much time sitting around the lobby people-watching.

The local Immigration office should come observe how they do it.

I think it's just some creative fiction and doesn't reflect well on Thai women.

So yes, I agree I'm disagreeing on more than just a matter of opinion, based on my knowledge of how business is conducted at the Consulate. Sorry. The story just doesn't add up.

I think it's just some creative fiction and doesn't reflect well on Thai women.

So yes, I agree I'm disagreeing on more than just a matter of opinion, based on my knowledge of how business is conducted at the Consulate. Sorry. The story just doesn't add up.

It certainly doesn't reflect well on that one person. My Thai wife of 18 years was there with me, and she heard the same thing. In fact, I will venture to say that you would be hard pressed to find another male poster in this forum who respects Thai women-- and women in general-- more than I do.

Moreover, there is nothing about the procedures, layout, or routines of the Consulate that contradicts my account. I was at one window, waiting as my documents were checked, and she was about a meter to my right at another window.

By the way, when I do write creative fiction, it is far more interesting than this.

It is ironic indeed that you credulously repeat what a shady restauranteur tells you, but choose to dismiss as fiction an account which is entirely true,entirely plausible, though unpalatable.

And frankly, having known and socialized with many Consulate employees over the years, this story is nothing compared to the tales they could tell you. You might be surprised, despite your "knowledge of how business is conducted at the Consulate."

Usually they try to schedule appointments at the U.S. Consulate so that they don't get so congested and backed up with customers. Also, they don't like to handle more than one customer at a time in at the window, for privacy reasons. I find the story a little far-fetched.

that's not true. it's so quiet in there that you can hear a pin drop. there is almost always someone waiting their turn on the chairs in the back as another citizen is taking care of business at the window. unless you plug your ears, you can't help but overhear the conversation of the citizen at the window.

i got a few similar "i don't believe a word you say", etc. when i posted a year or two ago that i overheard the consul asking citizens the source and amount of of their income for the affidavits. some people were actually quite rude. then, over the next 3-4 days i received 2 private messages and one one on the open forum apologizing to me for being so rude, saying i was lying, etc. turns out they had appts. at the U.S. Consulate in the next days for their affidavit and they were asked the source of their income!

that's not true. it's so quiet in there that you can hear a pin drop. there is almost always someone waiting their turn on the chairs in the back as another citizen is taking care of business at the window. unless you plug your ears, you can't help but overhear the conversation of the citizen at the window.

i got a few similar "i don't believe a word you say", etc. when i posted a year or two ago that i overheard the consul asking citizens the source and amount of of their income for the affidavits. some people were actually quite rude. then, over the next 3-4 days i received 2 private messages and one one on the open forum apologizing to me for being so rude, saying i was lying, etc. turns out they had appts. at the U.S. Consulate in the next days for their affidavit and they were asked the source of their income!

But...but, Nancy is everyone's "favorite" poster.

I don't know why people wouldn't believe him. This story is pretty mundane compared to some of the things I've heard.

It doesn't have to be Thai women, could be women in general or men or non Thais. I always did reckon that fiction had nothing on real life and the average author was either oblivious or toning things down.

I don't know why people wouldn't believe him. This story is pretty mundane compared to some of the things I've heard.

It doesn't have to be Thai women, could be women in general or men or non Thais. I always did reckon that fiction had nothing on real life and the average author was either oblivious or toning things down.

i for one, certainly believe him.

But...but, Nancy is everyone's "favorite" poster.

Well, look at the competition.

It's kind of like being voted the cleanest hog in the pit. ;)

Anyone who live here, will witness similar stories quite oftencoffee1.gif

You mean stories about Thai women asking the consulate staff about getting a divorce while applying for a marriage visa?

Edited by Rob13

Oh, I'm not doubting there are Thai women who seek to get married to an American with the goal of using that marriage as a ticket to get themselves to the U.S.with the thought of eventually divorcing the poor sap once in America.

I'm just doubting why a Thai woman would be in the Consulate on a day reserved for American citizen services and why she'd ask about the process for obtaining a divorce in the U.S. of a consular employee within earshot of others, esp. when you have to talk to the employee through bulletproof glass.

The story just seemed a little "too neat". It seemed that Puwa was a painting a picture of every stereotypical American citizen waiting for services at the Consulate yesterday -- really, during low season?

Oh, I'm not doubting there are Thai women who seek to get married to an American with the goal of using that marriage as a ticket to get themselves to the U.S.with the thought of eventually divorcing the poor sap once in America.

I'm just doubting why a Thai woman would be in the Consulate on a day reserved for American citizen services and why she'd ask about the process for obtaining a divorce in the U.S. of a consular employee within earshot of others, esp. when you have to talk to the employee through bulletproof glass.

The story just seemed a little "too neat". It seemed that Puwa was a painting a picture of every stereotypical American citizen waiting for services at the Consulate yesterday -- really, during low season?

you keep referring to low season Nancy. why is it less plausible to happen during low season. would you have found it believable in high season.

you keep referring to low season Nancy. why is it less plausible to happen during low season. would you have found it believable in high season.

Part of what's implausible is Puwa's OP with his description of what sounds like a packed waiting area. Quote: "the single guys enjoying their twilight, the mixed couples with impossibly cute children, missionaries in long skirts and funny hats, their pasty children in tow; a testy, overweight woman bridling at whatever inconvenience she had to endure, a gay bachelor trying to chat up the young male Thai staffer working safely behind bulletproof glass, et al."

That's at least 12 people, plus assorted kids, assuming just two single guys in twilight, two mixed couples with cute kids, and two missionary couples, plus the testy woman and gay guy. Add to the mix a "handsome couple apparently preparing for a move to the U.S." Counting Puwa that's 15 people waiting for service at the U.S. Consulate. not to mention to "et al" Really? During low season?

That's my point about how the story seems implausible from the get-go just because of the colorful description of all the characters in the waiting room.

Anyone who live here, will witness similar stories quite oftencoffee1.gif

You mean stories about Thai women asking the consulate staff about getting a divorce while applying for a marriage visa?

if i start with all the stories involving thai officials, i would need at least a couple of hours.

But with deaf and blind people, it will be useless... do you heaaaar meee?

so just one :

A close friend of mine did have a house and a thai gf.

The gf was a shareholder of the house.

One day they split up

My friend did hired a lawyer, to transfer her share.

The lawyer did call the exgf, as he knows a way for the exgf to keep the house...

thats just a common story here, nothing special!

Yes, women have been playing men for their money since the beginning of time and we all know Thai girls do it well.The problem with the OP's little story is the Thai women asking how to divorce her future husband to the people she's applying for a marriage visa from. Nobody's that stupid, especially a girl chasing someone to get US immigration status and alimony.

Edited by Rob13

Yes, women have been playing men for their money since the beginning of time and we all know Thai girls do it well.The problem with the OP's little story is the Thai women asking how to divorce her future husband to the people she's applying for a marriage visa from. Nobody's that stupid, especially a girl chasing someone to get US immigration status and alimony.

"Nobody's that stupid"

yes thats sooo stupid, you dont believe it when you witness it!