Living Expenses In Bangkok

JayBird

Bangkok water cost is 9.15 baht per unit - full cost with tax and such came to 11 baht per unit last month at my home using 61 units for 9 people and cost was 668 baht. Either you live in a condo charging a very high markup or using extreme amounts of water. We normally have 3 loads of laundry a day and do take the normal number of showers.

Edited by lopburi3

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Quite Ok spending.

I Spent about 45K/mth + (15k/mth as savings for travel and unforeseen circumstances) without that much of comfort . Maybe because i have a wife and Kid.

On weekday we take Thai Food & Home Cooking.

Insurance about 4K (2 person)

School fees about 5K/Mth

No Rent only utilities about 5K Include phone bills and internet.

Fuel about 5K

Daily expenses takes up the rest.

But still we are able to go out for movie & dinner over weekend and once in a while travel to province near Bangkok for short Holiday.

But for a foreign Expat in Bangkok to spent 15-20k / Mth is nonsense. It can be done but that way you're not Living life. You are spending days waiting for the day you die.

Do you know? A Motorcycle Taxi Driver can earn up to 1400/day Deduct the fuel and maintenance for his bike lets say 400/day

He can earn 25k/Mth for him working only 25days. So as an EXPAT or Even Tourist, How possible is it to spent 15-20k Per Month?

Good for you for managing your budget. Sounds like you have a pretty good life.

With a wife and kid it must not be easy.

Thanks, Only 1 golden rules don't spend more than what you earn. Many of my colleagues use half of their salary to pay the Min amount of pay back to their credit card. Others pay installment for their 3-4 Million baht imported car. For me i believe these thing doesn't add happiness into our life. I would like to have one of cause but if i need to change my life style or ask my wife and kids to save up then i think is not worth it. I am happy with my life and will work hard to maintain these happiness. Good day:)

How To Retire On Only 4,396 THB A Month!

Sleep:
Ignore those fancy condos, move into that sweet looking 'room' for only 900 THB/month!
Concrete floor, drywall for wall, nail in wall to hang clothes on.
No bathroom or shower (down the hall, shared)
No air-con

Electricity:
Don't waste money on Fan or Lights or electricity. Take your phone and powerbank to the mall. While enjoying free air-con hide the devices
behind the ATM or phone where they can charge up for free on the sockets!

Water:
Take a couple of empty plastic jugs to the free water drinking stations around town (or if you want to splurge, use the reverse osmosis
stations). Use the water not only for drinking but for a sponge bath! (You can store some free soap from the mall washrooms in some wet paper towels and take them home)

Internet:
Don't waste money on WiFi or internet. There's plenty of free WiFi hot spots around, just sit near them

Food:
Fresh fruit in morning for 20 THB, some rice and a couple sticks of meat for lunch for 30THB. And some more rice and sticks of meat for dinner
for another 50THB. 100THB/day.

Hungry?: Once a week go for a shabu-shabu for only 199THB and gorge. And if you're careful, you could slide a bit extra into a backpack.

You'll enjoy good food AND keep looking trim!

Note: I do not suggest you buy rice and rice cooker. The roaches and rats in the room will eat up the rice which just wastes your money!

Toilet paper:
Go to the upscale malls that have free TP. Use the toilets for free and stash away a few extra sheets for later.

Health Insurance:
Don't get sick!

Transportation:
Walk and keep that trim waist line!

Total: 900 + (27*100) + (4*199) = 4,396 THB

The good life awaits!

(Yes: This was meant as a joke. Also a bit of insight in how it is feasible for some Thai people to manage on a 7k/mo salary for full time job. Those who make 9k/mo or work two jobs can move into a decent apartment (with private washroom) which is about 2k/mo. The ones who have a degree and land a 12k/mo job can get a nice Condo which they share with a friend and only pay 4.5k/mo)

4k a week for food? Seems high. I spend 10k a month for family of 5, and that includes soap, garbage bags, etc.

Maybe if you treated

your family of 5 to

quality meat now and

again instead of

making do with offal,

you might spend

more than 10k a

month

Sleep:

Ignore those fancy condos, move into that sweet looking 'room' for only 900 THB/month!

No air-con

Electricity:

Don't waste money on Fan or Lights or electricity. Take your phone and powerbank to the mall. While enjoying free air-con hide the devices

Water:

Take a couple of empty plastic jugs to the free water drinking stations around town (or if you want to splurge, use the reverse osmosis

stations). Use the water not only for drinking but for a sponge bath! (You can store some free soap from the mall washrooms in some wet paper towels and take them home)

Internet:

Don't waste money on WiFi or internet. There's plenty of free WiFi hot spots around, just sit near them

Food:

Fresh fruit in morning for 20 THB, some rice and a couple sticks of meat for lunch for 30THB. And some more rice and sticks of meat for dinner

Hungry?: Once a week go for a shabu-shabu for only 199THB and gorge. And if you're careful, you could slide a bit extra into a backpack.

Note: I do not suggest you buy rice and rice cooker. The roaches and rats in the room will eat up the rice which just wastes your money!

Toilet paper:

Go to the upscale malls that have free TP. Use the toilets for free and stash away a few extra sheets for later.

Health Insurance:

Don't get sick!

Transportation:

The good life awaits!

(Yes: This was meant as a joke. Also a bit of insight in how it is feasible for some Thai people to manage on a 7k/mo salary for full time job. Those who make 9k/mo or work two jobs can move into a decent apartment (with private washroom) which is about 2k/mo. The ones who have a degree and land a 12k/mo job can get a nice Condo which they share with a friend and only pay 4.5k/mo)

Thank you for the tips. I already do most of these things, but the shabu-shabu once a week sounds like a good idea. By the way, I live on 15 - 16,000 a month (including rent, food and entertainment), not because I need to but because I prefer to be frugal. Once you try it, you find that living a simple life actually makes you a lot happier.

Sleep:

No air-con

Electricity:

Water:

Internet:

Food:

Toilet paper:

Health Insurance:

Don't get sick!

Transportation:

The good life awaits!

Thank you for the tips. I already do most of these things, but the shabu-shabu once a week sounds like a good idea. By the way, I live on 15 - 16,000 a month (including rent, food and entertainment), not because I need to but because I prefer to be frugal. Once you try it, you find that living a simple life actually makes you a lot happier.

I tried frugal living and

it made me miserable.

There's nothing simple

about trying to keep

cool in May with just a

fan, eating poor quality

street food and

cramming on to a

sweltering baht bus

stuck in traffic.

I lasted 2 weeks.

I note no health insurance in that budget and no mention of health or dental care.

A single illness, accident or root canal will rock the financial boat considerably. Maybe even sink it if you are in fact uninsured.

I note no health insurance in that budget and no mention of health or dental care.

A single illness, accident or root canal will rock the financial boat considerably. Maybe even sink it if you are in fact uninsured.

..........and although the last 6 or 7 years I have gone the expensive route with BUPA Platinum, my first experience with health insurance here was with ThaiVisa.

I think I paid 8,000thb for a three month period coverage and sure enough, about six weeks in went down on the motorbike. It ended up being about 15,000 which the insurance covered but would have wiped out one month for some of these guys saying they live on 15,000. Yes, should have insurance here.

60,000 baht a month??? You're spending way too much. I rarely spend more than 15,000 baht a month and I live in a 38 sq. m. apartment and eat out every day and enjoy the company of a lady of the night 3 times a week.

Do you mind to share more details about how you spend your 15k a month?

I am just curious, I usually spend about 8k-10k/week. Dine out most of the time, buying good fruits, I don't drink and I also don't shopping much...

Seems excessive. one can live a decent life on 10k per month.

When I stopped drinking for 2 years I easily lived on 10k in BKK. Now that Im drinking again I can easy go through 40k month and that's just beers after 5pm

15k/month is an interesting and conservative amount. If I were to speculate:

Can rent a Thai Style Apartment (with private washroom) for about 2k / month.

Electricity (including air-con and lights and fan), would be about 1k/month.

Water would be about 300THB/month.

Internet (mobile phone only) another 300 THB/mo (presume no streaming TV)

So that's about 3600/mo, leaving 11,400 THB/mo. .

If you live off street food, 7/11, mama, you could get by for about 150 THB/day relatively easily (4,500 THB/mo)

This still leaves 6,900 THB/mo for entertainment (I think its 200THB to see a movie, 50 THB to buy a DVD). And find leisure in walking, or parks, or what not.

So it is feasible. I think the key take-away here is:

Food & Rent are your biggest expenses (as is everywhere else in the world I reckon). If you are not fussy and can get by with a small or simple accommodations and eat simply (or smartly) you can do with quite a limited budget.

A couple things maybe worth mentioning:

You can get a good small studio in a good building, fully modern, all mod-con, good location, furnished, for about 7k/mo. If you share with someone that comes down to 3.5k / mo.

If you live off of 7-11 sandwiches, 30 THB buns from Big-C, have a rice cooker, eat the occasional MAMA, you can get by on 150 THB/day (4.5k /mo)

Which frees up more money for other things/activities. The question is if this makes *you* specifically happy. Everyone is different. You may hate the idea of having a roommate *or* you might be retiring with your best bud of 20 years.

You may hate the idea of a small room, or you are always out and abouts and only need the room to 'sleep' and 'shower' in. (If you got a comfy bed, when you sleep, you don't really care how big the room is).

I wish I could bring my costs down that much (not that I need to, I just like the idea of efficiency). But I spend more than 4.5k/mo on protein powder and supplements :P Plus another 2-3k/mo on foreign food (chocolate, oatmeal, etc.) I plan to save on 'rent' by buying a condo (lowering operating costs even if it raised my capital costs).

One cost-saving tip I plan to do is take advantage of return-trips to Europe. I go back for a few months every year, and since I fly business or first class I get lots of luggage space. I plan to fill my luggage with foreign food and supplements. I just need to get ready for customs to ask:

Sir, why do you have 20 tins marked Animal Pak? Why are they full of assorted pills in little plastic bags? Would you like to step this way while we strip search you.

If you live off street food, 7/11, mama, you could get by for about 150 THB/day relatively easily (4,500 THB/mo)

This still leaves 6,900 THB/mo for entertainment (I think its 200THB to see a movie, 50 THB to buy a DVD). And find leisure in walking, or parks, or what not.

Food & Rent are your biggest expenses (as is everywhere else in the world I reckon). If you are not fussy and can get by with a small or simple accommodations and eat simply (or smartly) you can do with quite a limited budget.

You can get a good small studio in a good building, fully modern, all mod-con, good location, furnished, for about 7k/mo. If you share with someone that comes down to 3.5k / mo.

If you live off of 7-11 sandwiches, 30 THB buns from Big-C, have a rice cooker, eat the occasional MAMA, you can get by on 150 THB/day (4.5k /mo)

Which frees up more money for other things/activities. The question is if this makes *you* specifically happy. Everyone is different. You may hate the idea of having a roommate *or* you might be retiring with your best bud of 20 years.

You may hate the idea of a small room, or you are always out and abouts and only need the room to 'sleep' and 'shower' in. (If you got a comfy bed, when you sleep, you don't really care how big the room is).

I wish I could bring my costs down that much (not that I need to, I just like the idea of efficiency). But I spend more than 4.5k/mo on protein powder and supplements :P Plus another 2-3k/mo on foreign food (chocolate, oatmeal, etc.) I plan to save on 'rent' by buying a condo (lowering operating costs even if it raised my capital costs).

One cost-saving tip I plan to do is take advantage of return-trips to Europe. I go back for a few months every year, and since I fly business or first class I get lots of luggage space. I plan to fill my luggage with foreign food and supplements. I just need to get ready for customs to ask:

Sir, why do you have 20 tins marked Animal Pak? Why are they full of assorted pills in little plastic bags? Would you like to step this way while we strip search you.

Hm...I don't usually spend much on myself. I enjoy eating the local food at the footpath and it will only cost me not more than 150 baht per day. I enjoy cooking sometime and it is much more expensive to cook than eating out.. Haha.. Especially I tend to buy the meat and vegetables from Home Fresh Mart and it will be more expensive..

I also loves to drink coffee, I like the kaffe Bo Lan and also Chao Doi.. It is very cheap.. Sometime I drink Starbucks because I need a comfortable place to longer and doing my work at the café..

I am more interested to know more about the 2k/month accommodation.. I never have any experience staying at studio like this.... So far the cheapest I found is 5k/month..

Seems excessive. one can live a decent life on 10k per month.

When I stopped drinking for 2 years I easily lived on 10k in BKK. Now that Im drinking again I can easy go through 40k month and that's just beers after 5pm

Nice one, I know Bt300 per day all in is plenty to live a decent life. If only I could do it myself.

I wish I could bring my costs down that much (not that I need to, I just like the idea of efficiency). But I spend more than 4.5k/mo on protein powder and supplements tongue.png Plus another 2-3k/mo on foreign food (chocolate, oatmeal, etc.) I plan to save on 'rent' by buying a condo (lowering operating costs even if it raised my capital costs).

Life must be pretty ordinary back home to have to live like that here though but hey, the world is not vanilla and what suits one person may not suit others and at the end of the day personal happiness is what its all about.

I note you have not accounted any monies for visa's (and associated costs) nor any kind of health care.

Edited by Don Mega

2k/month accommodations: They are quite plentiful as far as I know, and you can see them in many places when you know what to look for. Basically they are NOT advertising in English (or advertising at all). You MAY need to know Thai (or know a Thai person) to help you get the key.

Look around for boring white buildings with no security that are pushed back from the main streets (and sometimes pushed back from the soi). Or if you are in a hi-rise look for the ones with the laundry being hanged on the top of the building (bed sheets). These are going to be your apartments.

If you know some Thai people who are not rich (working at 7-11, or taxi driver, or in school) you can ask them and they might help. Or you could wander down the main roads look at the Sois that seem to have nothing in them but a dead end road but people seem to go/come from there, head there and you should see an apartment building.

I have *NO* idea how they feel about non-Thais. I also have no idea of any other way to find them (I've never searched for them, only seen them as I walk around or people/friends tell me about them).

Now, how much you like it... well, from what I'm told the 'floor' is the original concrete without flooring and the walls are still dry-wall. Of course no furniture or appliances (you bring your own mattress). But, it's 2k/month :)

sure Sir... whatever you say Sir... a lot happier Sir... w00t.gif

2k/month accommodations: They are quite plentiful as far as I know, and you can see them in many places when you know what to look for. Basically they are NOT advertising in English (or advertising at all). You MAY need to know Thai (or know a Thai person) to help you get the key.

Look around for boring white buildings with no security that are pushed back from the main streets (and sometimes pushed back from the soi). Or if you are in a hi-rise look for the ones with the laundry being hanged on the top of the building (bed sheets). These are going to be your apartments.

If you know some Thai people who are not rich (working at 7-11, or taxi driver, or in school) you can ask them and they might help. Or you could wander down the main roads look at the Sois that seem to have nothing in them but a dead end road but people seem to go/come from there, head there and you should see an apartment building.

I have *NO* idea how they feel about non-Thais. I also have no idea of any other way to find them (I've never searched for them, only seen them as I walk around or people/friends tell me about them).

Now, how much you like it... well, from what I'm told the 'floor' is the original concrete without flooring and the walls are still dry-wall. Of course no furniture or appliances (you bring your own mattress). But, it's 2k/month :)

Thanks for the information... Hm... I think I won't enjoy staying at apartment like this... Haha...actually there are many affordable accommodation to rent in Bangkok.. Of course there are many more very very very high end properties in the market which is very nice... But too expensive for me to rent or buy.. Haha

I wish I could bring my costs down that much (not that I need to, I just like the idea of efficiency). But I spend more than 4.5k/mo on protein powder and supplements tongue.png Plus another 2-3k/mo on foreign food (chocolate, oatmeal, etc.) I plan to save on 'rent' by buying a condo (lowering operating costs even if it raised my capital costs).

B150 a day for food living on your own with a small cooker is way to much, yesterday i brought two plump chicken breasts for B40 = 3 or 4 meals when stir fried, pork is so cheap you can get a whole tender loin for about B50 enough for 3 meals, I make a thin stew-pot out of it with cabbage and potatoes, delicious

B30 for a 7/11 sandwich is poor housekeeping, you will be hungry again in two hours, same with street food,

Iif you want to live on economy, you must invest on a cooker for your room, simple receipts all over the net, even if your not a cook they are so easy to do

Life must be pretty ordinary back home to have to live like that here though but hey, the world is not vanilla and what suits one person may not suit others and at the end of the day personal happiness is what its all about.

I note you have accounted any monies for visa's (and associated costs) nor any kind of health care.

True. Obviously you'll be on a Thailand Elite Visa (teehee), or just be doing the van to the border and back. Visa issues are really variables here that depend on your age, status, nationality, etc. Not sure what type of Visa/Healthcare the person who does 15k/mo has. For mine (which was about 60k/mo) did not include Visa or Health Care costs. I don't factor in Visa costs as that is part of my 'I'm going to go Visit Singapore or Malaysia or HK for a bit, oh, free Visa on the way back'.

For what it's worth, I did some quick scribblings and searches in Agoda and figured that if we took the cost of a PE Visa (500k for five year) which will give you 6 years of no hassle that comes in at 83,333 THB/yr. (Let's call that 2300 USD/yr).

You then have a choice of spending 2300 USD/yr (5 years in advance all up front) *OR* spending that amount per year on 'vacations'. If you can swing 60-day visas (plus 30-day extensions) you would need only 4 visas per year. That would therefore be 4 trips.

That would come to about 580$/trip.

If you factor in air-fare at about 100$ round-trip (Singapore, Malaysia, maybe even HK for a bit more) that still leaves you about 400$ or so for hotels. Hotels should run you about 50-75$/nite depending where you go (Malaysia dirt cheap for 5-star, Singapore not so much). But if we round it up you could easily stay in any city for 4 days for about 100$/nite, bringing your total bill to about 500$. Throw the extra 80$ or so for the cost of the Visa, and you hit the target.

Put another way: The cost of Visas could be absorbed by doing mini-4-day-mid-week trips four times a year at the same or less cost of a Thailand Elite Visa and keep everything right-and proper immigration wise.

This is sort of what I do, which is why I did not include the Visa Fees as part of my cost of living.

B150 a day for food living on your own with a small cooker is way to much, yesterday i brought two plump chicken breasts for B40 = 3 or 4 meals when stir fried, pork is so cheap you can get a whole tender loin for about B50 enough for 3 meals, I make a thin stew-pot out of it with cabbage and potatoes, delicious

B30 for a 7/11 sandwich is poor housekeeping, you will be hungry again in two hours, same with street food,

Iif you want to live on economy, you must invest on a cooker for your room, simple receipts all over the net, even if your not a cook they are so easy to do

Two plump chicken breasts for me from Home Fresh is about 60THB. And that's one meal for me. I eat a lot :P (I also don't fry). Yup, the sandwiches are nice but you won't be full for long. I ran some numbers on home cooking vs. eating out. If you are buying fresh veggies and meat from HomeFresh (not from street markets), the cost is not that much less than eating at MK or even Shabus.

At MK I can get a normal platter of Duck & Pork Loin for 160 THB plus a nice pot of Empress Rice for 80 THB: Total 240 THB. That serves as a nice meal for me. To cook the same at home would not be much cheaper (plus you have to buy the sauces and cook it and clean it). However I'm uncertain if MK is as healthy (I'm sure they are sneaking in excess Salt & stuff in there).

But for me, one of the reasons I'm in Thailand is to eat the nice food here. Which means I avoid cooking :P

If you need to rent

a 2k/month room,

you you defintiely

aren't happy. Best

go home, get job

I actually know a few guys that come and stay in Pattaya for months on end. Rent the cheapest hole in the wall they can find and love life.

They are retired and have decent pensions (Bt.250,000+ per month)...

I ask WHY ?... But they all say because it is enough for them.... one lives in Wales in some centuries old house that does not have running water or electric.

At the end of the day. They are happy so why should I (or anyone) judge them. A cheapo fan room is defo not for me but hey, they are content and loving life.

Edited by Don Mega

If you need to rent

a 2k/month room,

you you defintiely

aren't happy. Best

go home, get job

I actually know a few guys that come and stay in Pattaya for months on end. Rent the cheapest hole in the wall they can find and love life.

I ask WHY ?... But they all say because it is enough for them.... one lives in Wales in some centuries old house that does not have running water or electric.

At the end of the day. They are happy so why should I (or anyone) judge them. A cheapo fan room is defo not for me but hey, they are content and loving life.

$8000 monthly in

pensions and renting

$60/month fan room?

Yeah, ok, whatever

you say

Edited by YeahSiam

If you need to rent

a 2k/month room,

you you defintiely

aren't happy. Best

go home, get job

$8000 monthly in

pensions and renting

$60/month fan room?

Yeah, ok, whatever

you say

Call me a bullshitter all you like but I to ask them why....

To some a bed is a bed no matter it being the Hilton or a hole in the wall.

If you need to rent

a 2k/month room,

you you defintiely

aren't happy. Best

go home, get job

$8000 monthly in

pensions and renting

$60/month fan room?

Yeah, ok, whatever

you say

Never said you were

bullshitting. I just think

you're incredibly

gullible. No pensioner

on a 250k/month,

coming to Pattaya to

have a "good time" is

going to take his

hooker back to a

2k/month fan room.

Everyone has different criteria and what they look for in a place to stay.

I had a friend who rented a two bedroom apartment but kept the second bedroom empty. He just liked having the space.

I've lived in a small 30sqm studio for a few years and was more than happy with it (and paid more than a 60sqm flat, because it was in a good location and looked good).

If his criteria is: Clean, has a fridge to store beer, near his favourite pub. Well, it's easy enough to find :)

If the criteria is: Have wife & 2 kids, family and friends over every other day, hosting dinner parties. Well, that place won't do :)

On the flip side, if he really is happy spending his money that way on rent, that leaves a lot of money for other things. He might be that guy who rings the bell every night. Other guys will think what's with him? He'll be thinking: This is how I want to go out! Ringing the bell before my bell gets rung!

If you need to rent

a 2k/month room,

you you defintiely

aren't happy. Best

go home, get job

$8000 monthly in

pensions and renting

$60/month fan room?

Yeah, ok, whatever

you say

But they drink in Vesper Bar with all the other pretentious ******s !

LOL.

I had a friend who rented a two bedroom apartment but kept the second bedroom empty. He just liked having the space.

I've lived in a small 30sqm studio for a few years and was more than happy with it (and paid more than a 60sqm flat, because it was in a good location and looked good).

If his criteria is: Clean, has a fridge to store beer, near his favourite pub. Well, it's easy enough to find smile.png

If the criteria is: Have wife & 2 kids, family and friends over every other day, hosting dinner parties. Well, that place won't do smile.png

On the flip side, if he really is happy spending his money that way on rent, that leaves a lot of money for other things. He might be that guy who rings the bell every night. Other guys will think what's with him? He'll be thinking: This is how I want to go out! Ringing the bell before my bell gets rung!

I'm not saying it's

impossible but I am

saying it's extremely

unlikely that an old

man pulling down

a pension equivalent

to 250,000 baht a

month is going to

rent and bring

women back to a

2k/month fan room.

If his criteria is: Clean, has a fridge to store beer, near his favourite pub. Well, it's easy enough to find smile.png

If the criteria is: Have wife & 2 kids, family and friends over every other day, hosting dinner parties. Well, that place won't do smile.png

I'm not saying it's

impossible but I am

saying it's extremely

unlikely that an old

man pulling down

a pension equivalent

to 250,000 baht a

month is going to

rent and bring

women back to a

2k/month fan room.

What gets me is that people on this forum always seem to "have a friend who" or "know a guy that".

It's all bullshit.

The things people come out with to try and back up tall tales on Thaivisa are astonishing.

$8000 monthly in

pensions and renting

$60/month fan room?

Yeah, ok, whatever

you say

Never said you were

bullshitting. I just think

you're incredibly

gullible. No pensioner

on a 250k/month,

coming to Pattaya to

have a "good time" is

going to take his

hooker back to a

2k/month fan room.

I guess thats why short time was invented then, so one does not have to take thew rental back to the fan room.