THE England thread

rijit

As a Bolton fan I used to bemoan those tactics when the useless midfield clogger Okocha lumped it forward to that carthorse of a centre-forward Djorkaeff. Anelka, Hierro, Campo, Gardner, Diouff, Speed and a few others were all rubbish too.

Good luck to Big Sam. He's going to win a lot of people over. He'll win matches when it matters and the football will be good too. He gets the best to produce their best. He's had to work with some poor teams and players over the years; he can now pick the very best available.

Good try but no. he'll go route one lump it upfield. Its what he knows and what he feels comfortable with. He has a great early '80's football brain.

The rest of europe just moved on.

In fairness, I don't think Sam has had anybody of quality to work with, so I suppose he has always been limited to route one. I think I'll reserve my judgement till I've seen how he sets up for the first few matches with players of a higher calibre.

in fairness as well it's him that's signed those players at the time. and him that's then coached them to lump it up at the big lad.

i think he'll probably do an alright job with england. i mean it's not like england fans actually expect the england team to play good, attractive football is it? last time they did that was about 1990.

Having watched West Ham during his time there, I don't think he's a long ball manager at all. However he is a bit limited tactically and we threw away a lot of points where he couldn't see the obvious and make changes.

We usually defended well and passed the ball around well, but only had one tactic in the last 3rd, which was to cross it. If we'd had Payet then instead of Matt Jarvis, it may have been a less frustrating time. Though I think had Payet been here, he would have sent him to France on loan and kept Nolan in the team.

His big downside though is his personality. He's very stubborn and doesn't care who he pisses off. So when he had 10,000 or so chanting "f off Sam Allardyce", he didn't care.

So he did a decent job and got us up and kept us up, but I don't know of anyone who wishes he was still with us.

For England, I think he'll bring Carroll back into the squad, and maybe Noble.

That's it official...Sam the England manager on a two year deal.

Two years..isn't that a bit strange or is usual to give 2 years?

I think it's sensible now. If he's crap they don;t have to sack him and pay him millions.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Pochettino say he was "amazed" to see Harry Kane taking corners at the euros.

"If a players skill is to score goals he needs to be inside the dos not outside it."

I would say food for thought but the only one who didn't seem to grasp this was Roy Hodgson.

• 4 weeks later...

Goalkeepers: Forster (Southampton), Hart (Man City), Heaton (Burnley)

Defenders: Cahill (Chelsea), Clyne (Liverpool), Jagielka (Everton), Rose (Tottenham), Shaw (Man Utd), Smalling (Man Utd), Stones (Man City), Walker (Tottenham)

Midfielders: Alli (Tottenham), Antonio (West Ham), Dier (Tottenham), Drinkwater (Leicester), Henderson (Liverpool), Lallana (Liverpool), Rooney (Man Utd), Sterling (Man City), Walcott (Arsenal)

Forwards: Kane (Tottenham), Sturridge (Liverpool), Vardy (Leicester)

no wiltshire and barclay, tbh them not being in didn't surprise me. at the top level Barclay aint smart enuf runs into to many dead ends and tends to be eaten alive by top quality defending ,and wiltshire , well he just hasnt been getting enuf play time  Antonio the only surprise ,,but his versatility is a plus for him,  and perhaps wallcott, but his pace for the break when he's match fit is probably still only rivaled by vardy, actually thinking about it i might hve taken witshire over henderson but hey no biggie , im sure it will come out in the wash   and tbh dont see many changes to happen in the near future, thoughts gentleman?

Tonight:

England U20 v Brazil U20
International Friendly
14:30BT Sport 3 / BT Sport 3 HD

Slovakia v England
FIFA World Cup 2018 Qualifier
17:00ITV / ITV HD

Malta v Scotland
19:45Sky Sports 1 / Sky Sports 1 HD / Sky Sports 5 / Sky Sports 5 HD

Czech Republic v Northern Ireland
19:45Sky Sports 2 / Sky Sports 2 HD

6 minutes ago, MrMuddle said:

Anyone know if the England or Scotland games are on Bein tonight ?
Had a look at True's page, but it doesn't list all of the Bein channels.

No, in the Middle East the rights holders is Abu Dhabi Sports (now part of OSN).

Hasn't anyone checked the newspaper-that-dare-not-speak-its-name?

Edited by Chicog
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, jellydog said:

If you're not going to start a proper #10 then you need a striker who is creative and can make something out of nothing. Start Rashford every game. My 2 cents, though it is amusing to watch England flail about.:P

I would go further and suggest that if Alladyce intends to leave his striker so hopelessly isolated theres no point in even having one.

<deleted> was Rooney thinking he was doing?  What exactly were his instructions from the manager?  If any....

Generally i thought England were their usual dull average uncreative norm.....no i remember why i never usually bother with internationals outside of tournaments.  

43 minutes ago, carmine said:

I would go further and suggest that if Alladyce intends to leave his striker so hopelessly isolated theres no point in even having one.

<deleted> was Rooney thinking he was doing?  What exactly were his instructions from the manager?  If any....

Generally i thought England were their usual dull average uncreative norm.....no i remember why i never usually bother with internationals outside of tournaments.  

Wilshere, supposedly one of England's next great creative hopes, was apparently wanted on loan by Milan and Roma. He could have gone there, maybe learned a new way of playing, a more disciplined, possession based style etc. But he chose Bournemouth because his best mate is there.