are tattoos going mainstream

doctor pat

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

People can do whatever they want with their bodies. The bad thing is that young pretty girls apparently don't think past tomorrow. They live for today and deny that they will ever get old.

More common for sure, but hardly mainstream. If you're indigenous Thai and don't have a well to do (whether locally or nationally) last name to go with it, it's pretty much a 'lower class' stamp (thug lowlife if you're a guy and sex worker or something similar if you're a girl). If you're Thai Chinese or Thai Indian, that can apply in some cases, but generally it's viewed as 'you're expressing yourself or just trying to piss off your parents.' It's still common knowledge that while you won't find this on any university policy, visible tats will likely keep you from being admitted. Not ironclad of course like anything else here, but generally true.

Tattoos are for faux tough guys - wanna-be's - never weres - and zillions of young and dumbs who succumb easily to peer pressure

And I saw most of them on Koh Phi Phi - Strutting like little red roosterssad.png

Call it Mick Jagger - and now Justin Beiber syndrome wai2.gif

And because you are such a "tough" guy you actually walked up to the "wannabe tattooed tough guys" and told him so?

Edited by namatjira

<snip>

Rare to see doctors, lawyers, judges, or CEO's with tats.

<snip>

You'd be surprised! Most such people wear long sleeves or even suits at work and after hour beers. Hence, tattoos are not that visible.

As someone else said, it's all about the presentation and the tattoo as such. The classics sun behind cross on the hill / mermaid / anchor I haven't seen for a while.

<snip>

Rare to see doctors, lawyers, judges, or CEO's with tats.

<snip>

You'd be surprised! Most such people wear long sleeves or even suits at work and after hour beers. Hence, tattoos are not that visible.

As someone else said, it's all about the presentation and the tattoo as such. The classics sun behind cross on the hill / mermaid / anchor I haven't seen for a while.

Not sure if it's that common among "professionals," but you seem to be saying that even among those folks, they do not want their tattoos visible. Wonder why?

To the question of whether tattoos have gone mainstream, I think the answer will depend largely on whether one has a tattoo or not. Among those who don't have a tattoo, I'd say it's still very much against social norms. It's reasonable and realistic to recognize that "most" people in society--and not just in Thailand--still view folks with tattoos differently than they would someone without. And it mostly goes to the image of those who sport them, from biker gangs and prison inmates to hookers and loose women in general. This image is still perpetuated in movies and other media today. To suggest that this image has somehow disappeared from all of civilized society is rather naive.

From my personal experience, I have met a few Thai women with tattoos (non BGs). I always assumed that these women were loose and...how should I say....more accessible. And I was right pretty much all of the time. Not saying this is absolutely the way it is 100% of the time, but....

It's not that they don't want to show their tattoos, but most investment bankers don't wear singlets at work. They might do that at home, sitting at the pool.

I don't see any problems with tattoos as such, again, the overall presentation makes the difference

It's not that they don't want to show their tattoos, but most investment bankers don't wear singlets at work. They might do that at home, sitting at the pool.

I don't see any problems with tattoos as such, again, the overall presentation makes the difference

Agree, a small tastefully done tat is certainly not the same as a full-bodied one....perception-wise. I myself have nothing against tattoos personally. But I do recognize that among the wider society (particularly among those who are tat-less), tattoos still carry a certain amount of stigma. I'm not saying that's right or wrong, it's just the way it is.

The stigma is certainly right, a friend of mine who is a bit conservative met in business someone... They became friends, they met in private (not THAT private....) and it turned out that this guy was tattooed head to toe... Invisible as long as he was in a suit. Quite a shock for my friend and readjustment of prejudices.

I personally wouldn't do it, just because it's permanent and I'm not so sure how I would like it in ten years from now

I think the television shows aggrandizing the practice - making reality stars of the workers & their custom/signature "designers" work convinces sheeple over time/episodes that it's the trendy thing to do....

Much the way the "designer label" crowd gets sucked into displaying manufacturers "license plates" & preprogrammed advertisers "fashion statements" walking around......

Thinking this somehow makes them more prestigious or important than the guy or gal standing next to them.....

Ego....

People mutilating their own bodies out of choice.

Bizarre to say the least. bah.gif

Yeah... it's freaking bizarre that people can do what they like with their bodies. It should be the state that dictates the bodies!

The stigma is certainly right, a friend of mine who is a bit conservative met in business someone... They became friends, they met in private (not THAT private....) and it turned out that this guy was tattooed head to toe... Invisible as long as he was in a suit. Quite a shock for my friend and readjustment of prejudices.

I personally wouldn't do it, just because it's permanent and I'm not so sure how I would like it in ten years from now

I know what you mean. Check out this SNL skit, and they're not exactly conservative...

I'm not a fan of tattoos, I would never get one personally. My Dad had them done in the Army and as he got older he regretted it. I suspect a number of young people will regret having them done as they get older. Why? Because they are fashionable, and fashions forever change, what is cool and edgy today is uncool and gauche tomorrow.

Having said that, the widespread popularity of them makes it impossible to define people in a negative context ... ladies with tattoos cover a wide spectrum, from charity worker, bible thumping christian, and of course bar girl, fashionista, etc. We really shouldn't judge people on sight of a tattoo, especially nowadays.

attachicon.gifFB_IMG_1449398503227.jpg

Not sure he could have found a more efficient way to make himself look this bad......

your picture is showing Herbert Hoffman, himself being a long standing tattoo artists and former owner of Germany's oldest existing tattoo studio. So please show respect for the heavily tattooed artist - R.I.P. Herbert, he was loved and liked by many.

There is a movie about him and his fans - he was a homosexual - to be found on the internet.

Yes tattooing went mainstream a long time ago ! And there are still uninformed people out there who missed it.

So let me get this straight... some of you are like "offended" what other people do with their bodies when it doesn't affect you in anyway? Talk about egomaniacal.

If you don't like tattoos here is a tip... stay home.

Not offended by tattoos in the slightest and in any case it's none of my business.Nevertheless the inescapable truth is that full on tattoos are a low class denominator in both Thais and foreigners.Always exceptions of course.

attachicon.gifFB_IMG_1449398503227.jpg

Not sure he could have found a more efficient way to make himself look this bad......

your picture is showing Herbert Hoffman, himself being a long standing tattoo artists and former owner of Germany's oldest existing tattoo studio. So please show respect for the heavily tattooed artist - R.I.P. Herbert, he was loved and liked by many.

There is a movie about him and his fans - he was a homosexual - to be found on the internet.

Yes tattooing went mainstream a long time ago ! And there are still uninformed people out there who missed it.

That's interesting to know....Thanks for the info....

I have a tatt, from my RN days, only my wife knows where it is smile.png

My son (also now ex. RN) has rather more.

My Thai step-son has a lovely full-back dragon design, suits him.

None of us could be classed as low intelligence. I'm a Consultant Engineer on major infrastructure projects, my son services aircraft for one of the UK's private jet / helicopter hire companies (for those who are only millionaires and can't afford to own one).

None of us could be classed as low intelligence. I'm a Consultant Engineer on major infrastructure projects, my son services aircraft for one of the UK's private jet / helicopter hire companies (for those who are only millionaires and can't afford to own one).

Nobody said anything about low intelligence.It's primarily a social class indicator which is something completely different.

So let me get this straight... some of you are like "offended" what other people do with their bodies when it doesn't affect you in anyway? Talk about egomaniacal.

If you don't like tattoos here is a tip... stay home.

Not offended by tattoos in the slightest and in any case it's none of my business.Nevertheless the inescapable truth is that full on tattoos are a low class denominator in both Thais and foreigners.Always exceptions of course.

Ah yes... kind of like being a muslim means you support terrorism?

Nobody said anything about low intelligence.It's primarily a social class indicator which is something completely different.

So you also saying that IQ has nothing to do with where in someone is in the so called "social class" ladder?

So you also saying that IQ has nothing to do with where in someone is in the so called "social class" ladder?

Very little.IQ does have a hereditary element certainly but for a reasonable broadbrush approach on a very complicated subject its fair to say there's roughly the same spectrum of intelligence in every social class.

Very little.IQ does have a hereditary element certainly but for a reasonable broadbrush approach on a very complicated subject its fair to say there's roughly the same spectrum of intelligence in every social class.

Yeah... surely there are like hundreds of CEO's with an IQ of 80-90 right? Or why not doctors or engineers... because hey... IQ is just a number and a social construct! And surely it's lie that there is a very strong correlation with being incarcerated and low IQ?

Or perhaps it's just so simple that people higher up in the so called "social class" ladder just have higher IQ? Income levels and IQ have a strong correlation, i can't really understand why that is such a taboo thing to say.