Storing meds in the CM heat

amexpat

Some meds, vitamins, etc, should be stored at 20 - 27 degrees for example.

How do you do that short of leaving an a/c running in the room. A wine cabinet should do it but way too expensive.

Any ideas? Or does the temp even matter that much? (I'll research the latter myself).

We just use one of those cheap single door chest high fridges with the temp set to the first position. We keep meds, cosmetics, batteries, etc in the lower part, bread, peanut butter, etc in the middle, and mostly water bottles in the upper drawer and in the freezer section. We've been doing this for about 10 years and no problems so far. Over time we kept finding more things to store in this fridge. If we are gone more than a few days we remove the water bottles from the freezer section. It's basically our high temp fridge where we keep things we don't want to melt down but also don't want to congeal. We have two other fridges for items that actually need refrigeration.

I am going to be pedantic now.

i very rarely go into Pharmacies; only when the Herpes breaks outcheesy.gif

but did you EVER see any medecines, tablets, in fact anything have to be removed from a fridge or similar. its certainly not the case that all pharmacies are air conditioned.

so my cynicism is regarding the required 20-27 degrees storage etc etc

is it not the same as a beer bottle saying "best served chilled" it doesnt really matter does it?

Use one of those Foam Boxes and keep in a cool dark place

Use Ice Block if you want it cooler

Also wrapping in a Woolan blanket or something Woolen

This is a old trick from many years when in the outback when it is hot

Use one of those Foam Boxes and keep in a cool dark place

Use Ice Block if you want it cooler

Also wrapping in a Woolan blanket or something Woolen

This is a old trick from many years when in the outback when it is hot

you wrapped them up in a sheep?

I am going to be pedantic now.

i very rarely go into Pharmacies; only when the Herpes breaks outcheesy.gif

but did you EVER see any medecines, tablets, in fact anything have to be removed from a fridge or similar. its certainly not the case that all pharmacies are air conditioned.

so my cynicism is regarding the required 20-27 degrees storage etc etc

is it not the same as a beer bottle saying "best served chilled" it doesnt really matter does it?

Depends on the product. Active ingredients do start to deteriorate when stored outside their temperature range. I can assure you that the responsible pharma companies observe those temperatures and the drug efficacy is measured when the product is stored correctly. The fact that some of these shops labeled as a pharmacy keep some products at inappropriate temperature means nothing. Sadly these shops also sell counterfeit products so it really doesn't matter. Just because someone calls his shop a pharmacy doesn't mean there is a competent dispensing pharmacist on hand.

I keep them at the lowest room in our house in a wooden cabinet close to a wall & low by the floor...Rarely - if ever does the room temp go above 27' in that room based on a digital thermometer there....Best we can do at our place....

We just use one of those cheap single door chest high fridges with the temp set to the first position. We keep meds, cosmetics, batteries, etc in the lower part, bread, peanut butter, etc in the middle, and mostly water bottles in the upper drawer and in the freezer section. We've been doing this for about 10 years and no problems so far. Over time we kept finding more things to store in this fridge. If we are gone more than a few days we remove the water bottles from the freezer section. It's basically our high temp fridge where we keep things we don't want to melt down but also don't want to congeal. We have two other fridges for items that actually need refrigeration.

where do people get the idea that refrigerating batteries prolongs battery life??? ever try to start a car in cold weather

Says Duracell about this belief:

Question

Should I store my batteries in the refrigerator or freezer?

Answer

We recommend storing batteries at room temperature in a dry environment. Extreme heat or cold reduces battery performance. You'll want to avoid putting battery-powered devices in very warm places. In addition, refrigeration is not necessary or recommended.

As does Energizer:

1. Is it a good idea to store batteries in a refrigerator or freezer?

No, storage in a refrigerator or freezer is not required or recommended for batteries produced today. Cold temperature storage can in fact harm batteries if condensation results in corroded contacts or label or seal damage due to extreme temperature storage. To maximize performance and shelf life, store batteries at normal room temperatures (68°F to 78°F or 20°C to 25°C) with moderated humidity levels (35 to 65% RH).

that's like the one that hot water freezes faster than cold water??? duh...

Re batteries: Energizer, quoted above - "To maximize performance and shelf life, store batteries at normal room temperatures (68°F to 78°F or 20°C to 25°C)"

The temp in my place w/o a/c is over 30 C much of the time so I like Grin's idea.

Grin wrote: "We just use one of those cheap single door chest high fridges with the temp set to the first position. We keep meds, cosmetics, batteries, etc in the lower part...."

I wouldn't buy my meds from a pharmacy that didn't have aircon.

Since we have cats we don't turn off all the aircons when we leave the condo. Set one to 28 so the little dears don't die of heat prostration. Come home to find them curled up in the warmest part of the condo, as far away from the aircon as possible. The meds are stored in a closet in a cool part of the condo, along with items like peanut butter, their cat food, bottled water, etc.

Archived