Please help with advice on where to relocate for a few months. My overly-long explanation ahead...

wkistler

Oh hey @wkistler....i reread your question and realized you were asking me about options other than the Thailand joke...I stand by my response but i forgot to ask you...and you were asked before....why are you opposed to Vietnam? I am actually considering heading over there for awhile...I have never been but people I know who have are pretty stoked about the place....

Why have you crossed it off already?

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Your 'dream' or 'vision' is totally without focus

What do you want to achieve? Why do you want to do this, whatever it is? What are your priorities for success? How would you estimate your success or failure? How are you going to live? With whom.? What skills do you have that you can deploy? Seems like you are adrift in the world. Neither Thailand nor Bali is going to solve that problem.I guess you are not poor. I would say that, as a start, think about finding somewhere where you can learn from people for whom materialism is not the be all and end all of life and to whose lives you could contribute also. Good luck

I wonder if the OPs focus is just attention getting.

Nah, that's the guyfromanother forum!!!

Can only speak of Bali and Thailand. Forget Bali, not a place to seek simplicity and clarity, either with the local culture or expat community. Plenty of inspiration there but probably not the kind you seem to be seeking. In Thailand I would recommend finding a place in the North where an NGO works with the large stateless persons population. You will need a work permit, and might have to help the organization with the fees involved - which, if you actually work hard, would be a contribution to their efforts. These stateless people can use a lot of help and the politics are simpler for a foreigner to be involved with than similar efforts with Thai nationals. Because of these reasons there are a good number of NGO's helping them. You can meditate anywhere, but here in Thailand the best and easiest spiritual resource for you would be Vipassana meditation retreats. There are many, and you can choose to take retreats within the context of time out from the other part of your local life. If you start your trip with a vacation like period and check out Muay Thai, it will be easy to get sucked into scenes that won't help your other goals. Good luck, and take time to choose whatever scene you want to be part of, things are rarely just as they seem at first here.

Well, this has been interesting.

I want to thank the members that gave a few suggestions out. I will do my due diligence on the places you mention.

I had to bite my tongue on other replies.

Perhaps some folks on here have more time on their hands than they need. I don't really relate to the urge to offer unhelpful commentary/insults on a post requesting advice.

I will say that it's a challenge trying to encompass a realistic picture of one's self in a single forum post. On my end, I should have introduced myself and started slower on the forum. I can also see that there are really bored and unloved s/expat retirees trolling these boards.

rgs2001uk: I took a moment to read through your other posts. You spend your time on here disparaging and judging and insulting people. You are sad and angry and I'm sorry for your pain. I suspect you don't have that much time left on this earth, which makes it all the more important for you to start practicing forgiveness now. That's all I can offer you.

My vision is not focused. It's true. I'm too open to different possible lifestyles while I'm over there. My original intent was to hide out somewhere beautiful and cheap to read, meditate, start writing, and get some clarity. Perhaps I should stick with the plan. I was told by a l close friend to seek physical work, and I came to agree with him. I was told I needed to seek a teacher, as doing this inner work requires guidance and advice, and I came to agree with her. Maybe they offered bad advice?

I'm probably going to have to take the plunge without having everything crystallized, and make changes as I speak to more people. Funny, I had an idea that I could try reaching out on this forum, as everywhere I read online pointed out that it's such a helpful community (not many people can offer much advice on the subject stateside, as most have never been).

Now I feel the need to defend myself:

I've lived a pretty rich life thus far. Not necessarily in terms of money (though I have paid off my debts and saved up a decent sum in the last 6 years), but in life experience and great people I've come to know. I've moved around a good deal, and everywhere I go I meet people that love and appreciate my presence. I don't think that anyone that knows me in life would say I'm lost.

Sometimes it can feel like I am, but I suspect that's healthy if anything. I have no existential fear that I will die lonely and unfulfilled. I have an awesome family and close friends.

Purpose is a funny thing. How many people do you meet that actually have it? Unless by purpose you mean reproduce, make money, buy stuff, sit in obscurity on some pretty island until you're dead, drink your nights away until your dead....

So thanks, but no thanks folks. I get it now: you need advice on obtaining visas or, retiring on the cheap, sightseeing or street food, this is the forum.

Not a place for spiritual seekers.

You nailed most of that especially the bit about rgs. 5555

Well done !

Can only speak of Bali and Thailand. Forget Bali, not a place to seek simplicity and clarity, either with the local culture or expat community. Plenty of inspiration there but probably not the kind you seem to be seeking. In Thailand I would recommend finding a place in the North where an NGO works with the large stateless persons population. You will need a work permit, and might have to help the organization with the fees involved - which, if you actually work hard, would be a contribution to their efforts. These stateless people can use a lot of help and the politics are simpler for a foreigner to be involved with than similar efforts with Thai nationals. Because of these reasons there are a good number of NGO's helping them. You can meditate anywhere, but here in Thailand the best and easiest spiritual resource for you would be Vipassana meditation retreats. There are many, and you can choose to take retreats within the context of time out from the other part of your local life. If you start your trip with a vacation like period and check out Muay Thai, it will be easy to get sucked into scenes that won't help your other goals. Good luck, and take time to choose whatever scene you want to be part of, things are rarely just as they seem at first here.

Second the recommendation against Bali.

You're much better off in Thailand. Sure it has it's imperfections, but it's a lot more authentic and "closer to the source" of what you're looking for than Bali.

Think you should take a look at the southern part of Koh Samui – you will find temples, peace for meditation, not too far from Muay Thai school or training camp...
Take a look at Wat Khiri Wongkaram behind the so-called Elephant Gate, the main temple is under reconstruction and looks like could need some help – very peaceful place with a lot of charisma...
Another southern Samui location is the area around Laem Sor Pagoda – but there are many peaceful places in that area; just zoom in at Google-map to find temples etc. A bit up North you see the village Lamai that has Muay Thai camps...
Civilization is just up North-East and North, about ½-hour drive away.

smile.png

I'm still figuring out how to use the multi-quote function but there are a ton of responses I'd like to reply to...

I've only heard good things about Indonesian people, but the same goes for rural Thai folks as well.

I work hard as hell. I'm fast efficient and solution-oriented. I appreciate your input on getting involved with the stateless populations situation. I'll do my homework.

I see there's some pensiveness about my interest in putting in manual labor, but I must be missing something. I don't see it being too difficult to find a temple or orphanage that needs help lifting stones and shoveling ditches. I get that there's always red tape, but it's not that hard to work out. C'mon.

I know a married couple that used the tail-end of their honeymoon to help out in a Thai orphanage for a few weeks/ and it was incredibly heart-opening for them. But most importantly it was awesome for the kids, the people running the place, and they've since spread some awareness about it. I don't think most Westerners think of doing this kind of stuff for a vacation, but it changed this couple's life in a really good way. I consider it a win-win situation.

It's nice to see this thread evening out a bit.

There were a lot of helpful comments in the beginning but mixed in with the gnarly attitudes they got somewhat lost in the mix.

One more thing:

I promise to try and set my bong down before I start a thread next time as apparently this is a sore spot for some of you people (I don't smoke pot any more, btw. Moved onto vaping bath salts and injecting homemade meth to fill the void. They're waaaaay better). Sorry about that.

There are some lovely little villages along the Mekong between Nong Khai and Bueng Kan. It can be quite pleasant overlooking the water to the Laos mountains. You will find some decent temples.

Wait until it cools down.

Yes, I live there myself. Ban Dua.

Hey man for what it's worth I think what people might mean is that Buddhism is practiced with superficiality and contradiction in Thailand...most pretty much are attempting to pay their way into a better life next incarnation by making merit...its a trip when you realize most follow buddhism in Thailand much as Christians in The states...rife with contridictions...

It feels like all image lacking in substance...though you might want to start by knocking out a 10 day Vippasana silent retreat and network from there...they have a center in khon kaen...

https://www.dhamma.org/

Thailand is kind of joke...but for a new guy like you...sure..prepare to be bedazzled and sparkled for a year or two...wandering around jungles and rice paddies and villages and communities... you could find a ton of live work labor temple setups....

There is also a group of foreigners that have a retreat in chiang rai that might be a good spot for you...

Its like a yoga...work the land build some buildings grow organic kind of place...

I saw this in action with my Thai gf. Her whole family treated it like you said: as an empty religion.

But there were some very interesting aspects to their Buddhist "faith" also.

thanks for your honesty and your time

If you think Thailand is a joke, where would you post up for a few months, if you were me?

on the perimeter would be ok like this guy suggested

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/908240-please-help-with-advice-on-where-to-relocate-for-a-few-months-my-overly-long-explanation-ahead/?p=10608029

I'm still figuring out how to use the multi-quote function but there are a ton of responses I'd like to reply to...

I've only heard good things about Indonesian people, but the same goes for rural Thai folks as well.

I work hard as hell. I'm fast efficient and solution-oriented. I appreciate your input on getting involved with the stateless populations situation. I'll do my homework.

I see there's some pensiveness about my interest in putting in manual labor, but I must be missing something. I don't see it being too difficult to find a temple or orphanage that needs help lifting stones and shoveling ditches. I get that there's always red tape, but it's not that hard to work out. C'mon.

I know a married couple that used the tail-end of their honeymoon to help out in a Thai orphanage for a few weeks/ and it was incredibly heart-opening for them. But most importantly it was awesome for the kids, the people running the place, and they've since spread some awareness about it. I don't think most Westerners think of doing this kind of stuff for a vacation, but it changed this couple's life in a really good way. I consider it a win-win situation.

It's nice to see this thread evening out a bit.

There were a lot of helpful comments in the beginning but mixed in with the gnarly attitudes they got somewhat lost in the mix.

One more thing:

I promise to try and set my bong down before I start a thread next time as apparently this is a sore spot for some of you people (I don't smoke pot any more, btw. Moved onto vaping bath salts and injecting homemade meth to fill the void. They're waaaaay better). Sorry about that.

yeah don't forget your work permit...because at the deportation hearing it will come up. Those friendly locals will drop a dime on the farang doing manual labor at the village ditch without question.

For me, it was a place - remote woods in northern Michigan in an old run down farm house.

A method - I removed the TV and spent time working in the woods every day, cooked my own simple meals, heated with wood.

Words - Be Here Now, by Baba Ram Dass, the Dhammapada (publisher: Shambhala), Platform of the Sixth Patriarch - Hui Neng, The Pocket Zen Reader

And time - 6 years.

The specific location is not important, the quality of it is, as limiting things that move the mind is important.

Meditation does not work for me, physical labor does.

Words matter, stick to the original masters as much as possible.

Time cannot be substituted, and depends on the pupil.

You will discover that being in a Buddhist country is of no more help to understanding Buddha's words than being in a Catholic church is to help you understand Jesus' words. Seeking beautiful or serene surroundings is ego bound. I once saw a lotus flower growing in a trash heap. Why would you study what others say of Buddha, when you have his original words at your disposal? Clearing the thicket of years of habit typically takes much longer than months. And yet Hui Neng was instantly enlightened by the diamond sutra. I would wish you luck, but luck has nothing to do with it.

OP should come to Thailand in a hurry and make the acquaintance of a down to earth Thai-Lady.

Every time he starts to dwell on things, she will tell him:

"You think too much". A 3 month treatment with this medicine will show better results than a 3 year stay in some "Guru-Land-Community", when it comes to find a Farang's place in the universe.

Cheers.

First of all kudos to you for opening yourself to finding yourself....and ignore the few who don't understand, eventually they will, be it their next incarnation or a 10,000 more down the road. I think you are looking outside of yourself for the answers within yourself. The scriptures talk of universes without end....but they are within each person and you only traverse them by looking within.....not with what you call meditation as this is passive, but in spiritual exercises which are an active and dynamic focus. If you want more information check out msia.org they will send you free a booklet titled, "Journey of a Soul." This is a place to start. Remember that everybody's spiritual journey is individual to them, and everybody's path is different. If you find somebody who says they can do it for you.....RUN FAST....because they cannot, only you can do it for yourself. I wish you luck, love, and Light on your journey. I have been on mine actively for the last 43 years and it is still magnificent on all levels. As for hard work...you may be confusing 'hard work' with Service.....service to others is the highest form of Spirit on this planet.....just think of Mother Teresa. And service can take many forms. But remember volunteering can get you deported from Thailand without a work permit. So I go to Cambodia and Vietnam to be of service. But I have also been in many other countries volunteering, and that is a reward in itself. Once you step out on this path Spirit/God will meet you half way, and that makes it even more fun. So enjoy it all and the amazing fellow travelers that you will meet on the road.

For me, it was a place - remote woods in northern Michigan in an old run down farm house.

A method - I removed the TV and spent time working in the woods every day, cooked my own simple meals, heated with wood.

Words - Be Here Now, by Baba Ram Dass, the Dhammapada (publisher: Shambhala), Platform of the Sixth Patriarch - Hui Neng, The Pocket Zen Reader

And time - 6 years.

The specific location is not important, the quality of it is, as limiting things that move the mind is important.

Meditation does not work for me, physical labor does.

Words matter, stick to the original masters as much as possible.

Time cannot be substituted, and depends on the pupil.

You will discover that being in a Buddhist country is of no more help to understanding Buddha's words than being in a Catholic church is to help you understand Jesus' words. Seeking beautiful or serene surroundings is ego bound. I once saw a lotus flower growing in a trash heap. Why would you study what others say of Buddha, when you have his original words at your disposal? Clearing the thicket of years of habit typically takes much longer than months. And yet Hui Neng was instantly enlightened by the diamond sutra. I would wish you luck, but luck has nothing to do with it.

Brother, I think you actually get it.

I don't blame other people who don't understand this will to purify. To transmute the lead of our accidental personality into a temple that can be a conduit for the divine. It isn't for everyone, and it's slowly becoming a foreign concept to most people. As are many rites of passage. This is a pretty ancient practice, but I'm blown away at how marginalized it's become in our society....

My path up until recently paid little heed to Buddhism. It happened recently, and I've grown to deeply appreciate what I'm learning, but Western mystery traditions have been where I've felt drawn to.

As for the masters you speak of: I was "initiated" onto the spiritual path through reading Be Here Now, when I was 16. I moved on to reading the words of Vivekananda and the teachings of Jesus, though I have my issues with much of the rest of the Bible, along with Aleister Crowley, RA Wilson, others etc

Gurdjieff's teachings, while obscure, deserve serious contemplation. During his most active teaching years on his compound, seekers from all over the world laid themselves at his feet to become pupils. He proceeded to hand them a shovel and told them to join the others digging ditches. In their first few months, he didn't bother teaching them much in the way of philosophy, and many gave up frustrated and disappointed. They expected a comfortable and glamorous ashram, where they could sit around listening to the man speak. The ones that stayed though they got it.

Work, hard work, committed dedicated work without lust for result, moves mountains within a man's soul. It's simple and real and it turns you into a disciplined student and a receptive vessel. It makes you stronger and it quiets the spoiled restless finnicky body-mind that's at the heart of our suffering and complacency. I think he knew that only after the rigorous process of hard work and only then would these people be ready to begin the advanced work,

I also have great respect for your other decisions: removing the TV for one. Your endeavor is inspiring.

I also admit that 4 months won't get me all the way. It's meant to be a foundation-builder. I've been in the desert for a long time now and I can't deny that being in a cheap and beautiful environment near the ocean while I commence my study would be healing. I'll very likely return to the States ready to either begin building my first business, or possibly giving more time to a Buddhist retreat space I care about that needs some serious help before it falls apart completely.

I just want to thank you for sharing your story. It's helped me a lot. I'd like to talk with you again.

First of all kudos to you for opening yourself to finding yourself....and ignore the few who don't understand, eventually they will, be it their next incarnation or a 10,000 more down the road. I think you are looking outside of yourself for the answers within yourself. The scriptures talk of universes without end....but they are within each person and you only traverse them by looking within.....not with what you call meditation as this is passive, but in spiritual exercises which are an active and dynamic focus. If you want more information check out msia.org they will send you free a booklet titled, "Journey of a Soul." This is a place to start. Remember that everybody's spiritual journey is individual to them, and everybody's path is different. If you find somebody who says they can do it for you.....RUN FAST....because they cannot, only you can do it for yourself. I wish you luck, love, and Light on your journey. I have been on mine actively for the last 43 years and it is still magnificent on all levels. As for hard work...you may be confusing 'hard work' with Service.....service to others is the highest form of Spirit on this planet.....just think of Mother Teresa. And service can take many forms. But remember volunteering can get you deported from Thailand without a work permit. So I go to Cambodia and Vietnam to be of service. But I have also been in many other countries volunteering, and that is a reward in itself. Once you step out on this path Spirit/God will meet you half way, and that makes it even more fun. So enjoy it all and the amazing fellow travelers that you will meet on the road.

I'll check out your leads and seriously condsider your advice regarding Thailand and volunteering. That's a strange and sad thing to hear, but I'm sure they have their reasons.

Also thank you for the support, man.

I've always found it difficult to block out distractions while immersed in my career/girlfriend/social life and my hope is that I can get some real inner work done and return reset and able to integrate back into the modern world with better habits. I know I'll end up slipping back into the distractions and materialism at times, but I intend these months will give me a chance to get closer to my true self.

You're right that service is a far better term here. Duly noted.

Oh hey @wkistler....i reread your question and realized you were asking me about options other than the Thailand joke...I stand by my response but i forgot to ask you...and you were asked before....why are you opposed to Vietnam? I am actually considering heading over there for awhile...I have never been but people I know who have are pretty stoked about the place....

Why have you crossed it off already?

I read some harsh criticisms about the way Westerners get treated in Viet Nam, and with all the possible places I've been considering, I just decided to stop looking into it as a potential location, but like I said I'm more than willing to give it a second look. I suspect that the situation would be different depending on whether I'm just traveling through or actually settling in to an area.

I'll be looking at the places people are offering in the coming days and it might turn out to be the best option. Thanks for getting me to reconsider my preconceived notions about the place!

Your 'dream' or 'vision' is totally without focus

What do you want to achieve? Why do you want to do this, whatever it is? What are your priorities for success? How would you estimate your success or failure? How are you going to live? With whom.? What skills do you have that you can deploy? Seems like you are adrift in the world. Neither Thailand nor Bali is going to solve that problem.I guess you are not poor. I would say that, as a start, think about finding somewhere where you can learn from people for whom materialism is not the be all and end all of life and to whose lives you could contribute also. Good luck

I wonder if the OPs focus is just attention getting.

I wonder what your focus is by posting this. Mine is transparent: I posted rambling explanation looking for pointers on places to research.

I ended up casting a huge troll net, apparently.

scorecard: Please return to fapping to ladyboy porn. And don't stress: your SS check will get deposited in a few days and they'll let you back into whatever pedo palace you call your second home.

wai2.gif

that pretty much sums you up. you need to go to pai, with all the other pretentious ash holes.

dont forget your lumberjack beard and clip on hair bun

The answer doesnt lie in Thailand, it lies within.

Loving this new age hippy BS.

There is always some guru, spiritual advisor or whatever name they go by looking to take advantage of the lost and gullible.

OP, have you ever been to Asia never mind Thailand?

Bali, please, I wont go into the details, suffice to say it makes Pattaya look like a Sunday school picnic.

Seen them come, seen them go, seen them come back again, the washed out and burned out, the drop outs.

If you are having a mid life crisis, do like the others do, grow a pony tail and buy a Harley.

Dont forget your sak yant .

Dont forget the crystals and ley lines.

You can all sit down join hands and sing Kumbaya.

If you want to go really hard core you can get into "tapping".

Some people knock Pai, personally I think its a great place, keeps all the nutters in one area.