Renewing retirement extension at Chonburi Immigration ( Jomtien )

I'll move your post to the appropriate forum, this one is dedicated to visas to countries other than Thailand.

I had a similar experience in Bangkok on Tuesday, when I arrived at Chaeng Wattana at 08.35, to extend my stay based on retirement, there was a queue snaking round the foyer, there was a similar queue inside for a ticket. Despite this, I was in and out in 90 minutes with my extension in my passport, none of this going back the next day lark.

A mate of mine wasn't quite so lucky, he went to One-Stop Immigration, Chamchuri Square in Bangkok to extend his B Visa, he arrived there at about the same time I arrived at CW, but whilst I was done and dusted by just after 10.00 he was there until 16.30.

Well done OP. You showed your appreciation for good service in a very Thai way.

Jomtien has a good reputation with several other recent reports here on their efficiency. It is a pity that the same cannot be said of some of the other immigration offices.

• Like 1

Thank you to the old for moving my post to the appropriate forum & thank you to Brit Tim for your comment,it's much appreciated.

I'm from England,& I forgot to include the time scale on last Mondays visit to the Immigration.

I also arrived at the office at 8-35am & left 30 minutes later.

When I collected my passport the next day & did my 90 day report I was in & out in 15 minutes it's a very quick process now that the TM 47 form that they put in your passport is bar coded

Barnsleyman

I'm just wondering why you returned the next day to do 90 day report ??

I did a 90 day about 90 days before my retirement extension application fell due and the IO at Jomtien told me to do them at the same time.

Last week I attended with my paperwork for the retirement extension which includes proof of address. I don't think you needed to do a separate 90 day report.

For the record I also had a pain free experience at Jomtien.

Regards

Barnsleyman

I did a 90 day about 90 days before my retirement extension application fell due and the IO at Jomtien told me to do them at the same time.

Last week I attended with my paperwork for the retirement extension which includes proof of address. I don't think you needed to do a separate 90 day report.

Regards

Did you get a receipt for a new 90 day report. If not you did not get one done. Extensions do not count as 90 day reports.

• Like 1

I had my passport stolen in Mexico and got a replacement in the states. As I didn't have enough time to get a non-immigrant "O" in the states, I entered Thailand with a tourist visa, thinking as I had a police report and copies of my old visa that I could get my former retirement visa transferred over at Jomtien immigration.

To my dismay, the officer I saw gave me two choices. She showed me a stack of forms I would have to fill out (ALL in Thai), including at least two trips to Bangkok, - OR - I could give her 19k baht and she would take care of everything. I chose the 19k baht option.

Three weeks later, I got back my passport and, to my surprise, it included a multiple entry visa. A good deal, I guess . . . ?

I was at the immigration office for a 30 day extension yesterday. (7th) . I arrived

at 2pm and was finished and walked out at 5:30 pm. Yes there was a power outage that

delayed things. Yes the staff was polite and professional but 3 and half hours wait for a 30

day extension is a long wait. Things would be a lot more pleasant for tourists if they could just

drop of there passports, paperwork and fees at the front counter, have them checked by the

officers at the front desk (as they do) and if all paper work is in order return at 5pm to pick up

the passport. If their are any issues they could be sorted then. Just my thoughts.

BTW there did appear to be a second person who processed passports for visa companies.

People arriving and picking up passports, no tickets. Some several passports at a time. They

appeared to have got a text, walked up to a side desk and pick up the passports. Some

were motorcycle taxi drivers, some looked to be visa consultants. Just my thoughts.

Not sure what the cost is for this service so you can skip the wait. blink.png

I had my passport stolen in Mexico and got a replacement in the states. As I didn't have enough time to get a non-immigrant "O" in the states, I entered Thailand with a tourist visa, thinking as I had a police report and copies of my old visa that I could get my former retirement visa transferred over at Jomtien immigration.

To my dismay, the officer I saw gave me two choices. She showed me a stack of forms I would have to fill out (ALL in Thai), including at least two trips to Bangkok, - OR - I could give her 19k baht and she would take care of everything. I chose the 19k baht option.

Three weeks later, I got back my passport and, to my surprise, it included a multiple entry visa. A good deal, I guess . . . ?

Feeding and encouraging corruption is never IMHO ever a good idea or a "good deal"

You could have secured a "conversion" to a NON "O" entry for 2000 Bht or got an "O" visa from Vientiane or Pernang for a lot less than 19K

There are no Multiple Entry "Visas" issued by Immigration so perhaps you have been rewarded with a fake stamp ?

Hi steeevyboy

The reason that I went back the next day was I did the retirement extension on Monday ( 4th) & the Immigration officer told me to come the next day after 10-00am ( 5th ) to collect my passport.My 90 day report day was the 20th April & you are allowed 15 days before or 7 days after your report day.

So I did my 90 day report 15 days early to save me coming back again.

The next 90 day report I will do online, I could have done the report online on the 5th but i thought whilst I have to go & pick my passport u then I might as well do the report & get it out of the way.

Best Regards.

Feeding and encouraging corruption is never IMHO ever a good idea or a "good deal"

You could have secured a "conversion" to a NON "O" entry for 2000 Bht or got an "O" visa from Vientiane or Pernang for a lot less than 19K

There are no Multiple Entry "Visas" issued by Immigration so perhaps you have been rewarded with a fake stamp ?

There are no Multiple Entry "Visas" issued by Immigration

In the normal course of events, you are, of course, correct. However, the MFA website on Non Imm O-A (long stay) visas details how to apply for one within Thailand. While that webpage may be a load of round objects, it is also possible that this path really does exist. I would be curious to know if the multiple entry visa is a Non Imm O-A. If so, perhaps this is less a matter of corruption and more the IO moonlighting as a visa agent. Sometimes, in Thailand, the lines can be blurred.

In the normal course of events, you are, of course, correct. However, the MFA website on Non Imm O-A (long stay) visas details how to apply for one within Thailand. While that webpage may be a load of round objects, it is also possible that this path really does exist. I would be curious to know if the multiple entry visa is a Non Imm O-A. If so, perhaps this is less a matter of corruption and more the IO moonlighting as a visa agent. Sometimes, in Thailand, the lines can be blurred.

Do you know of anyone who has obtained an O/A visa from within Thailand ?

I suspect that MFA information is 'mistaken' or long outdated.

I know that no visa costs 19K ! Call that what you like !

First, let me say that your belief that gross impropriety was involved may well be proven justified.

That said, the IO offered to smooth the path for someone who did not want to go through the normal conversion process with its multiple trips to Bangkok. This was presented as an alternative to a normal route. Although you suspect the multiple entry visa is invalid, I am not so sure. I would dearly like to see a scan. If it turned out to be a Non Imm O-A (Long Stay) visa issued in Bangkok, I think it would certainly be genuine, and very interesting. The IO, acting as visa agent would then probably have needed to navigate a Byzantine process, possibly including other costs such as for police reports. The cost, bearing in mind the convenience, may not have been totally out of line. I do not know, but my curiosity is peaked.

First, let me say that your belief that gross impropriety was involved may well be proven justified.

That said, the IO offered to smooth the path for someone who did not want to go through the normal conversion process with its multiple trips to Bangkok. This was presented as an alternative to a normal route. Although you suspect the multiple entry visa is invalid, I am not so sure. I would dearly like to see a scan. If it turned out to be a Non Imm O-A (Long Stay) visa issued in Bangkok, I think it would certainly be genuine, and very interesting. The IO, acting as visa agent would then probably have needed to navigate a Byzantine process, possibly including other costs such as for police reports. The cost, bearing in mind the convenience, may not have been totally out of line. I do not know, but my curiosity is peaked.

Jomtien has been reported , on many occasions, to accept applications for "O" visa conversions. There was no need to go to Bangkok if the reports are valid.

You are trying , it seems, to excuse the inexcusable !

I to would like to see a scan of this visa posted here.

Yes, mine and that of a few friend's extensions at Jomtiem have gone swimmingly.

Particularly those who already have several extensions under their belt.

As it should be, but still nice to know,

• Like 2

He may have gotten his extension of stay transferred (or maybe a new one) along with a multiple re-entry permit for the 19K fee.

Barnsleyman

Regards

Did you get a receipt for a new 90 day report. If not you did not get one done. Extensions do not count as 90 day reports.

My friends got caught up in this. Not sure if it was a case of miscommunication, misunderstanding or something nefarious. But when they left the country, they had to pay a huge overstay fine. They were shocked, to say the least.

I made the mistake of assuming an extension was also a 90 day report. Only cost me 1,900B to learn it isn't! LOL