Monkey trapped in a Bangkok hellhole for 25 years is rescued

webfact

Monkey trapped in a Bangkok hellhole for 25 years is rescued

monkey-rescue-wfft.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The Wildlife Friends Foundation Thailand (WFFT) has seen some pretty awful cases of neglect and animal suffering since its inception in 2001, but the recent case of Joe the macaque was one of the worst they’d ever recorded.

“I have seen a lot of animal suffering in the last 17 years, but I would say that the condition the monkey was kept in was probably in the “top 10″ of most horrible cases, and when the owner told us how long he had been in there, I was absolutely shocked!” said Edwin Wiek, founder of the WFFT, in a statement.

Joe was found living between two buildings in a filthy, 70x80x80 centimetre cage in a Bangkok slum.

Shamefully, he had been kept there without a water supply, overrun with rats and his own dirt, since 1991 – 25 years.

monkey-rescue-wfft2.jpg

The WFFT learned about Joe’s plight after receiving a phone call from a foreigner living in Bangkok who had spotted the monkey and his repugnant living conditions, concerned for his welfare. The man was able to take Edwin and the WFFT team to where Joe was trapped, and they quickly agreed with Joe’s owner that he could be rescued and taken to the foundation’s quarantine unit in Petchburi.

Full story: http://whatsonsukhumvit.com/monkey-trapped-in-a-bangkok-hellhole-for-25-years-is-rescued/

whats-on-sukhumvit.png
-- (c) What's on Sukhumvit 2016-04-08

What happens to the 'owners' of the poor thing?

Perhaps a promise to donate 500b to a temple next week some time, and free to go??????

No mention of the owners. Appalling story. Abysmal journalism

Give them nothing.My local wat has had a monkey in a bird cage for 10 years at least.

A v sad tale, and very sad to say 'mainstream' Thailand has little or no concept of animal welfare go and look at Chang mai zoo. Absolutely shocking.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I was anxious to see if this was a story about an ex-pat retiree...wai2.gif

A TV member proud to be living in Rangsit on 40 baht per day for the last 25 years.....

Dang, 40 baht per day? You must be buy drinks for everyone!

Mr. Edwin Wiek: THANK YOU, SIR, for your never-ending efforts to save, protect & take care of abused animals. I salute you and it is people like you who make me feel PROUD to be Dutch ! ! !

wai.gif

Jaap G. Klasema

(Jomtien)

Give me animals over human dross any day.

You are deluded...

The animal kingdom is equally as poor " in - human"

They are not the cuddly, cute things you might think...

I used to breed pheasants...

They are greedy...selfish...spiteful..vicious..will pick on the weaker member and peck them to death...stupid...totally incapable to look after themselves...easily lead...and jealous ... Amongst other qualities...

Hmm reminds me of ....

You are deluded...

Agreed. I love animals and every time I read that someone prefers animals to people, I wonder if they have any experience with animals that are not being held in captivity?

You are deluded...

I used to breed pheasants...

They are greedy...selfish...spiteful..vicious..will pick on the weaker member and peck them to death...stupid...totally incapable to look after themselves...easily lead...and jealous ... Amongst other qualities...

Hmm reminds me of ....

"They are greedy...selfish...spiteful..vicious..will pick on the weaker member and peck them to death"

Yeah when they're kept in cramped awful conditions by breeders.

"totally incapable to look after themselves"

Well they do OK in the wild.

I don't think you've done yourself any favours here.