How Much Does A Cop Cost?

Physherman

I rest my case.

What case?

I stated that Thailand was infact a 'Nanny-state' and my post was deleted. Hence, I rest my case.

Then, to me, it sounds more like TV is a 'Nanny State'. Afterall, what does the Kingdom of Thailand have to do with this place, or your message being deleted?

There is mention of "laws and relationships" on this thread and my stab in dark here would be one or both of these...............just my humble opinion.

Something that I enjoy a lot here, being able to drive around and never worry about the cops pulling me over and hassling me. I drive the way I want to...

Fact is, this country does not rely on laws, but relationships.

Simply, I am saying that I like the style of enforcement here overall, and especially that I never worry about being hassled ...I don't know how I drive, but in 21 years, and nearly a million Km's of driving experience here, I've never had an accident- wouldn't you likely want everyone to drive like me??

Sounds like you're another English teacher who taught a medium-ranking policeman and thinks the Commisioner owes him a favour :o

1 million km of driving in Thailand without EVER having an accident, come on, do you expect us to believe that?

Something that I enjoy a lot here, being able to drive around and never worry about the cops pulling me over and hassling me. I drive the way I want to...

Simply, I am saying that I like the style of enforcement here overall, and especially that I never worry about being hassled ...I don't know how I drive, but in 21 years, and nearly a million Km's of driving experience here, I've never had an accident- wouldn't you likely want everyone to drive like me??

Sounds like you're another English teacher who taught a medium-ranking policeman and thinks the Commisioner owes him a favour :o

1 million km of driving in Thailand without EVER having an accident, come on, do you expect us to believe that?

Of course, because you have no room to doubt me. Though I realise that you are simply acting like a troll, for.. ?

I rest my case.

What case?

I stated that Thailand was infact a 'Nanny-state' and my post was deleted. Hence, I rest my case.

Then, to me, it sounds more like TV is a 'Nanny State'. Afterall, what does the Kingdom of Thailand have to do with this place, or your message being deleted?

We do not allow discussions of proxies or other methods of bypassing government blocking of websites.

NOTE TO OUR MEMBERS:

All media was 2006-09-21 ordered by ICT to exercise censorship of any news critical of the coup-makers and the new military regime. Offenders face up to six months in jail, a fine of up to Bt10,000, or both.

This also prohibit Thaivisa to publish such content. We kindly ask our members to refrain from posting sensitive political content. We reserve the rights to delete content that could be dangerous for the operation of our website. Forum admins and moderators are instructed to delete any references whatsoever to Thai Royalty or the Interim administrators/appointed governments by any member during the present political crisis.

Sounds like you're another English teacher who taught a medium-ranking policeman and thinks the Commisioner owes him a favour ;)

Why wouldn't you believe someone who publicly boasts that he is happy breaking the law?

We must wonder what sort of morality was passed on to the students. Is it OK to cheat, just so long as you don't get caught? Is it OK to plagerize if no one knows the original author? Where is the line drawn?

I never could understand the psychology behind people who think breaking the law is a good thing. I was taught that the laws were made for the safety of the public. If one cares about others, one obeys the law.

I think it was Plato who said

"Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws."

Just because it's easy to find a way around the laws here doesn't make it right. And In many cases, it creates dangerous situations for others. We see them splashed all over the streets on a regular basis. Not 'having' an accident doesn't mean that none were 'caused.'

The Fly Fisherman

I rest my case.

What case?

We do not allow discussions of proxies or other methods of bypassing government blocking of websites.

NOTE TO OUR MEMBERS:

All media was 2006-09-21 ordered by ICT to exercise censorship of any news critical of the coup-makers and the new military regime. Offenders face up to six months in jail, a fine of up to Bt10,000, or both.

This also prohibit Thaivisa to publish such content. We kindly ask our members to refrain from posting sensitive political content. We reserve the rights to delete content that could be dangerous for the operation of our website. Forum admins and moderators are instructed to delete any references whatsoever to Thai Royalty or the Interim administrators/appointed governments by any member during the present political crisis.

That is tv's choice, of course, since and ICT regulation has no effect on a website that is not run by any Thai people, and is not in Thailand... The worse they can do to anyone is too cut off the service to those of us in Thailand, which is what is feared, by some

Why wouldn't you believe someone who publicly boasts that he is happy breaking the law?

We must wonder what sort of morality was passed on to the students. Is it OK to cheat, just so long as you don't get caught? Is it OK to plagerize if no one knows the original author? Where is the line drawn?

I never could understand the psychology behind people who think breaking the law is a good thing. I was taught that the laws were made for the safety of the public. If one cares about others, one obeys the law.

I think it was Plato who said

"Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws."

Just because it's easy to find a way around the laws here doesn't make it right. And In many cases, it creates dangerous situations for others. We see them splashed all over the streets on a regular basis. Not 'having' an accident doesn't mean that none were 'caused.'

The Fly Fisherman

Please get your head out of your a**. I never said that I, ' publicly boasted that he is happy breaking the law', nor anything sinilar. Any 'similarity' is from your fractured thinking

Edited by Ajarn

[quote

1 million km of driving in Thailand without ever having an accident is an admirable record but if you check around with decent folks who have been here 20+ years, you will in fact find more than a few others who have done the same, farang and Thai. You will also find many who have had only one or two minor fender benders and no bodily injury accidents in that interval, with none were their fault.

SNIP

Please get your head out of your a**. I never said that I, ' publicly boasted that he is happy breaking the law', nor anything sinilar. Any 'similarity' is from your fractured thinking

Sorry, please forgive me. I guess I missunderstood your words;

>> Something that I enjoy a lot here, being able to drive around

>> and never worry about the cops pulling me over and hassling me.

>> I drive the way I want to...

I think you can see how this could happen, when you say "I drive the way I want to..." instead of saying 'I drive according to the laws of this country.' Saying this in a public forum could easily be construed to be 'publicly boasting, right?' Sorry for my misunderstanding. I'm sure you drive well within the law, and are just happy that the police don't stop you for it.

"But Brutus says he was ambitious;

And Brutus is an honourable man."

The Fly Fisherman

I think you can see how this could happen, when you say "I drive the way I want to..." instead of saying 'I drive according to the laws of this country.' Saying this in a public forum could easily be construed to be 'publicly boasting, right?' Sorry for my misunderstanding. I'm sure you drive well within the law, and are just happy that the police don't stop you for it.

Maybe he drives a car with diplomatic plates - I bet he wishes he did!

Maybe he drives a car with diplomatic plates - I bet he wishes he did!

More examples of fractured thinking, I must say :o

Well, I would like to drive the way I want to.... but its impossible here. Driving used to be a pleasure and enjoyable for me but now I drive ultra defensively in the hope I get home safely and not end up having a "relationship" with the police. :o

Everyone here drives the way they want to, hence the chaos and dangerous stunts.

A driver's licence is a permission to drive according to the laws of the country, not your own laws.

If they're not going to do anything about it, they could save millions by not painting lines on the roads.

Everyone here drives the way they want to, hence the chaos and dangerous stunts.

A driver's licence is a permission to drive according to the laws of the country, not your own laws.

If they're not going to do anything about it, they could save millions by not painting lines on the roads.

Hey I think I can agree with you here - along with some others posters. But you never can be sure, as what you say is maybe not what you mean.