For those who have walked-in a school/university asking for a job...

Do you just walk-in and ask the security guy for someone who can speak English?

Do you ask someone to walk you to the HR and you give her your CV?

Do you ask if they can interview you right away or do you suggest them to call you after they have checked your CV if they are interested?

I've never walked-in any school without appointment so I have these questions. Can anybody explain me how it usually works? Thanks!

start with this... would you do this in your own country?

What's that supposed to mean??? If you have nothing to say then say nothing.

He said a lot. You just didn't understand him. He means: Would you need a guide to find the office for a school admin office? Would you ask them to interview you immediately? Are you really sure you should be a teacher? Common sense alone would dictate you use the same logic in applying for a position here as you would in your own country.

But to spell it all out for you! You go to the gate and attempt to tell the guard you are a teacher looking for work. If he doesn't understand any English! Show him your papers casually and tell him you are an Ajarn. Then you ask around, preferably with a student for the office if you can not find it yourself. Someone inside is sure to understand even a little English that will accept your resume and give it to the right person or they may have you fill out an application. If they are interested in you, they may want to talk with you and will tell you to wait. This is possible only if you impress them initially! Don't expect that if you need so much help just getting past the guard and into their office like you asked about.

If they don't ask you to wait to talk with them, maybe they will call you, maybe not. While you are in the office and have a person that can speak even a little English you should be trying to impress them by selling yourself! Oh wait! I don't expect you to understand that as well. Selling yourself means trying to be friendly and outgoing and social even if you can't speak Thai. Why would they even want to talk to you if you can't get past the guard without help or if you just drop your papers and leave! Surely you don't have the experience in even looking for work let alone, teaching it.

I would.

Can anybody explain me how it usually works?

Start in the admin bldg. Tell them what you're interested in. They'll either tell you they're not hiring or put you in touch with the person in charge of such things. Dress the part, be prepared with the paper work and all that.

Edited by Rob13

...then once you make it to the office you find they use an agency to recruit teacherslaugh.png Having said that, you should ask around - around Thaivisa (here) and ajarn.com had a lot of jobs. While my school uses an agency, quite a number of teachers get recruited form 'word-of-mouth'. There's also a Teachers in Thailand facebook page and they often have posters looking for teachers.

If you are going to go on foot, you should approach schools with english or bilingual programs as they tend to need more foreign teachers each year. I'm sure there is a list on the net somewhere of those schools. Some schools also don't allow walk-ins for security reasons.

If you can teacher subjects other than english - especially maths, physics, chemistry and biology, you will have more opportunities. If you are doing walk-ins, hve a good idea of your minimum salary and other requirements. No point in doing an interview and demo if they only pay 25K a month (low for Bkk). Obviously, questions about the salary should't be the first ones. Good luck!

He said a lot. You just didn't understand him. He means: Would you need a guide to find the office for a school admin office? Would you ask them to interview you immediately? Are you really sure you should be a teacher? Common sense alone would dictate you use the same logic in applying for a position here as you would in your own country.

But to spell it all out for you! You go to the gate and attempt to tell the guard you are a teacher looking for work. If he doesn't understand any English! Show him your papers casually and tell him you are an Ajarn. Then you ask around, preferably with a student for the office if you can not find it yourself. Someone inside is sure to understand even a little English that will accept your resume and give it to the right person or they may have you fill out an application. If they are interested in you, they may want to talk with you and will tell you to wait. This is possible only if you impress them initially! Don't expect that if you need so much help just getting past the guard and into their office like you asked about.

If they don't ask you to wait to talk with them, maybe they will call you, maybe not. While you are in the office and have a person that can speak even a little English you should be trying to impress them by selling yourself! Oh wait! I don't expect you to understand that as well. Selling yourself means trying to be friendly and outgoing and social even if you can't speak Thai. Why would they even want to talk to you if you can't get past the guard without help or if you just drop your papers and leave! Surely you don't have the experience in even looking for work let alone, teaching it.

I have always wondered how people who can't speak Thai can be a teacher to Thai students in the first place.

Yes, I would.

I'v never heard of that - not in a school in Australia, anyway. I'd make a phone call.....and most schools will tell you to reply to the advertisement:)

I have always wondered how people who can't speak Thai can be a teacher to Thai students in the first place.

Most of my students can speak and understand english by P1, provided they have been in the EP kindergarten english program for 3 years. Some Thai would be useful for government schools, especially in the lower grades.

I started teaching in Thailand not knowing one word of Thai. It can be done, and students can learn. Quite well, in fact.

Google: "learning language," methods, immersion

Edited by Fookhaht

The Thai teachers don't seem to be that good at teaching English, and they all speak Thai.

You're kidding, right?

The (private) English school I was teaching at in another ASEAN country made it quite clear that we were NOT permitted to use any language other than English in class.

I've only met a couple of Thai English teachers, and had great troubles understanding them.

Cold calling is too easy to get kee kwaied...Some have tried it over here ....and the result is the same ... you must go through procedure.. now please leave.

So someone knocks on your office door, looking for work... your busy grading papers or something, really don't have time for this..

Using this approach...may reflect your experience level and understanding of the culture... Get to know the way it is done.. Go out and experience this yourself... your best source.

Cold calling is too easy to get kee kwaied...Some have tried it over here ....and the result is the same ... you must go through procedure.. now please leave.

So someone knocks on your office door, looking for work... your busy grading papers or something, really don't have time for this..

Using this approach...may reflect your experience level and understanding of the culture... Get to know the way it is done.. Go out and experience this yourself... your best source.

Can't win; don't try. Got it.

# email them to inquire; likely they wont respond. if they do they may have not understood the reason for your email

# if there is an administrator email try that rather then general email

# even if you speak near native thai asking many a security guard will not get you very far. many of them are clueless even if they have worked there for years

# if lucky security will call someone that may understand what person/office you need to contact

# if you are lucky that person will be receptive and courteous.

I know someone that dropped off written proposals and resumes to multiple bangkok "international hospitals" he wanted to assist in marketing to attract international patients.

none of these hospitals even sent a 10 second template courtesy acknowledgement- no thank you

of multiple hospitals just 1 replied, the big luxury one at nana sukhumwit.. the email informed him they were sorry but he would need a thai medical license. the inquiry was about marketing-pr and not to practice medicine.

they excel at "the art of missing the point" and they miss the point in their own language as well.

teach online for a japanese, korean, taiwanese, HK or singapore school.

When you apply for a job as an English teacher,the interviewer will normally tell you that it not necessary that you speak Thai.In fact they prefer it if you don't. The lesson should be taught in English,because that's what they are there to learn,As when i was in school,we were only allowed to speak French during a French lesson.Having said that,there is a thing called 'mother tongue' If a student is absolutely unable to understand a word,you can tell them the Thai equivalent,which helps them the way a bit.

This may come as a complete surprise to you but here goes.............Some time (12 years) ago my friend and I applied to a High School in Bkk as English teachers, in a discussion with the Director and their Senior English teacher we were asked if we spoke Thai? We both answered "hardly a word" because we had both been involved in business in Thailand for many years and all of our staff spoke English!

"Good " said the Director " I hate having teachers who are supposed to be teaching English, speaking in Thai to the students!" he explained that we needed to force the students to speak English in order to communicate with us.

To top it off he offered THB 40K a month and a 3 year contract.....proof can be provided on request (name of school, name of Director, witnesses etc.) smile.pngthumbsup.gifwai.gif

In Thailand it's a little more difficult to know what is the best procedure. As someone mentioned, follow the directions in the advertisement.

I conduct a lot of interviews and do so for several schools under the same director. Because I move around a lot, I don't always have the applications available, so I want them by email. If I am at a school, I will interview almost anyone who walks in during the recruiting season, but I always give them my email address and tell them to send the resume/CV and documents to my email as well. Once all the positions are filled, I usually won't interview people who just show up at the school. It has nothing to do with them showing up; it has to do with time constraints.

The problem at a lot of the schools is that almost anything in English, like a CV, gets set aside and very frequently at our schools they aren't given to me. Periodically, I shake them down in the admin office and they will start digging through stuff. I have had applications which were turned in 4 months ago, but never made it to me.

Now is the recruitment season and so most schools should be willing to personally take your documents and to give you an interview. At a minimum, they should be able to schedule one for you.

If the school has a foreign coordinator, they will usually follow Western protocol with regard to interviews, demonstration classes etc. If they have a Thai national coordinator, they frequently like to see a person face-to-face first. That's not always the case, but that's been my experience.

So you can show up in person or you can send your documents or you can do both.

In Thailand it's a little more difficult to know what is the best procedure. As someone mentioned, follow the directions in the advertisement.

I conduct a lot of interviews and do so for several schools under the same director. Because I move around a lot, I don't always have the applications available, so I want them by email. If I am at a school, I will interview almost anyone who walks in during the recruiting season, but I always give them my email address and tell them to send the resume/CV and documents to my email as well. Once all the positions are filled, I usually won't interview people who just show up at the school. It has nothing to do with them showing up; it has to do with time constraints.

The problem at a lot of the schools is that almost anything in English, like a CV, gets set aside and very frequently at our schools they aren't given to me. Periodically, I shake them down in the admin office and they will start digging through stuff. I have had applications which were turned in 4 months ago, but never made it to me.

Now is the recruitment season and so most schools should be willing to personally take your documents and to give you an interview. At a minimum, they should be able to schedule one for you.

If the school has a foreign coordinator, they will usually follow Western protocol with regard to interviews, demonstration classes etc. If they have a Thai national coordinator, they frequently like to see a person face-to-face first. That's not always the case, but that's been my experience.

So you can show up in person or you can send your documents or you can do both.

With Thai interviewers: lost track of the number of immediate offers, "When can you start?" without even looking at my portfolio or resumé (must be because I'm a hansum man). Yes, the face-to-face contact can't be underestimated with Thais.

I had a Thai friend ring the school and make a appointment. Went in the day arranged and met with a senior teacher and a young sports teacher who spoke a little English..Enough to understand each other...A pleasant experience and basically it was a walk in as no advert had been posted...Was told to ring back next week and they would arrange to meet the principal to finally make arrangements to hire me or not... I would add that this was for coaching Basketball and was very well qualified to do this as holding a UK advanced coaching award.

I cannot image having to cold call for a low paying English teaching job in Thailand, ever.

What in the world is there in Thailand so important you would humiliate yourself doing this?

I think in times such as these, a re-evaluation of your current situation would serve you well.

Hiring is a scam where agencies and those in charge of hiring take kickbacks and all sorts of other corrupt things.

This isn't the civilized world where they are actually looking for the best qualified teachers.

A man has to do what a man has to do, however, when you have to resort to cold calling for such a low paying job, perhaps Thailand is no longer the place for you.

I cannot image having to cold call for a low paying English teaching job in Thailand, ever.

What in the world is there in Thailand so important you would humiliate yourself doing this

Definition of thin skin, you are.

What in the world is there in Thailand so important you would humiliate yourself doing this

The truth must hurt!

The truth must hurt!

I agree, being too embarrassed to ask an organization if they're hiring must be a painfully humiliating way to live.

Edited by Rob13

What in the world is there in Thailand so important you would humiliate yourself doing this?

Wow! With that sort of attitude, you would be the last person that I'd want to hire.

One of the most important people for me is my rubbish (garbage) collector, because I'd be in the sh*t without them.

My local somtam lady is more important to me than the businessman on the golf course.

The forest monk who has no money but is content with this life, is 'richer' than many billionaires.

Learning a little humility could improve your life - try it :)