Thailand's 'F' word: Offensive or harmless?

webfact

I got called a racist by some red faced, teary eyed student type in the UK once for referring to migrants as "these people".

Would we prefer Thailand to become as PC as it has in the west.

Personally, I've got bigger things to worry about than what some folk call me.

You've actually made a damn good point!

Id rather have a beer with someone who refers to me as a farang than a left-wing moron who would call me a racist if I ordered a White Russian

Get over yourself - has any "left-wing moron" ever called you a racist for ordering a White Russian? rolleyes.gif

Do you take everything literally?

Obviously not rolleyes.gif - I'm just pointing out that his 'example' of "left-wing moron" is entirely ridiculous, and only proves himself to be a "moron" smile.png .

• Replies 433
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To sums it all up whether it is offensive or not would be to conclude that it all to do with the context in

which the word is spoken, with disdain or just a way to refer to a foreigner....

Regardless of how it is spoken there is more to it than foreigners tourists as well as residents know about the word and derogatory it is, even with Thais who know the complete word, because the way it is used is the shortened word from the complete word.

When I say: “farang” is not the correct Thai word; it always produces a look:

“What do you know about what is the correct word in Thai regarding foreigner”.

I hereby will explain:

The word “farang” the Thais bastardized from the French word “Francais” which they heard the French speak when the French controlled Indochina and the Thais hated them.

Which word the Thais pronounce as

Fa‑rang‑sed

Which the Thais then shortened to “farang”.

The proper Thai way of identifying a foreigner is

“Khun thangchat”,

Meaning a person of different citizenship.

Thais call Chinese “Khun cheen”,

Japanese “Khun yipoon”.

Persons of Asia are all called by their country of origin.

If a Thai is polite, they call

English people “Khun anglish”,

American people “Khun sahalat”.

However, Thais in their attitude of referring to none Asians as “round eyed white devils"” which saying they shanghaied from the Chinese call all none Asian people derogatorily farangin addition to everything they do not know or care about.

From an Atheist point of view:

Thais do not understand that there is only one race,

“THE HUMAN RACE”.

There is only one religion,

“LOVE THE HUMAN RACE”.

Wrong the word originated from the Arabic word Farangi brought in from traders in the 16th century with their wares and then spelt Faranji = meaning westerner.

It does not come from french. wai2.gif

How daft can you get! both words have the same origin!!!

If you need educating the word comes from Arabic, it spelling has changed over times, google it yourself.

I am not sure I like western sensibilities constraining the way Thais use language. I found it kind of cute and refreshing that they saw nothing wrong with Darkie Toothpaste in the old days. Why burden them with all our hangups and phobias?

As for the F-word that is Mr. VillageFarang to you lot.tongue.png

Know what you mean. There is a garden centre that I pass every now and again that has golliwog cement figures for sale.

I still find it a bit shocking (the first time I saw it I was 100% shocked!), but now find it slightly funny as I know that's the local mentality and there's nothing I can do about it.

What is evenmore "........." is the fact that foreigners refer to themselves as...farang....

It must be a forumthing because all my years coming/living in Thailand I have never heard it. Thank god !

Are you telling lies on this forum ? What has god got to do with it? are you crazy ?

I heard it about 20 times yesterday when i was watching a load of thais fishing . I hear it between 5 and 20 times a day and you have not heard it ! Does not bother me but i told off a few thais yesterday for calling me farang as i have lived here for 8 years and if they know my name they should use it . When describing someone i use their name or thai , or farang if they i do not know their name but when i go to the shop where i have shopped everyday for 8 years , if they call me farang i am upset and tell them they are rude and not polite.

Farang has some racial connotations , westerner. Do you also get upset, or at you proud as your flag indicates, when someone calls you by another racial name, Taff.

Iechyd dda

NOT quite the same is it , taff is a welshman and i was called it for 12 years in the army , pommie an englishman , yank an american , thai for a thai man malaysian ,paddy aussie ,etc , farang is the same as negro in as much as it is a general word for white people or black people

In the west we do not have a general derogatory word for all south americans or all europeans or people from the middle east so i am sure thailand does not need one anyway.

If you were in london and seen people from different nationalities on the street , what name would you call them ? what word woul you use . None as they are just people. It is a racist remark which even though does not bother me it is impolite and rude and should not be used in 2559 . It is not nice when walking through a village the kids are all screaming farang farang when you walk passed them.

I lived in London for years. I didn't have a problem with referring to people by race if need be. "The black guy over there", "That asian lady", whatever. It's not racist to merely refer to someone's race, and it's ridiculous to say "The guy with the brown shoes and green shirt at the third table on the left" when they're the only black person in the room.

Wow. So many posts over a word that simply says the person is not Thai.

Thais who don't know me here refer to me as the farang. Thais who know me call me Khun ...... I'm not going to get my knickers in a twist over it.

I don't object to being called an alien by most immigration authorities, although on my frequent visits to the USA I had to resist the temptation to ask if they considered Australians came from another planet. To most Americans, we probably do.

I'm a Barang in Kingdom of Wonder (KoW, lol) - it doesn't bother me one bit.

I was a Gringo (GreenGo) in Central America - that one only slightly bothered me as it is more commonly used for US citizens, rather than Europeans. but it didn't really matter.

And of course I was a Farang/Falang in LOS, which was fine by me.

Edited by kayo

The paradox is not lost on me personally that virtually every Thai in Thailand wishes they had white skin. I think that is utterly hysterical.

So when somebody gets all excited and starts pointing out the 'farang' in the vicinity, I generally point out they are kon Thai.

The conversations, in Thai, usually go like this, example:

Thai kid: "Mom, look! A farang."

Me to my wife: "Honey, look! A Thai kid <dek kon Thai>!"

Other than that, the whole 'farang' thing is out of my circle of control; I'm not going to change ingrained Thai cultural biases, but I can poke fun at them. whistling.gif

So, don't look to me to take up 'The White Man's Burden." I'll leave that load for someone more 'sensitive' than I to bear.

Edited by connda

It's clearly derogatory. I find it odd that so many others would disagree. When I call myself a falang (around here you will never hear the r sound) they all get a little quiet and uncomfortable. When they say it it's usually accompanied by a little chuckle or snicker. Have you ever heard some of the littlest kids point at you and say falang while laughing? I see it all the time. Why are little kids afraid of me. Maybe I'm just scary, but more likely they've been told not to trust us. When I was a kid it wasn't uncommon to refer to Asian people as Japs, or Chinks, or Dinks, or Gooks. Sounds like the same thing here. Part of me says I'm glad Thai people are honest and haven't been smitten by the political correctness trend. Do they hate us? No, I think that's too strong. Would they miss us if we were gone? Definitely not.

I've been in and out of Thailand for eight or nine months in the last three years. I'm retired now, so we split our time between here (a village outside of Khon Kaen) and the U.S. I don't have the depth of experience that many expats do, but I listen and observe a lot. I don't speak the language except for the simplest words. I'll have to admit I'd have a better perspective if I could understand them directly, but some of the nonverbal clues have more truth than what is spoken.

On the falang vs. farang thing. I've told people that all the r's in English spellings of Thai words must be some cruel joke intended to point out the fact that Asians can't pronounce r's. I've heard that the upper class can and do use that sound. I'd like to experience that.

I'm a Barang in Kingdom of Wonder (KoW, lol) - it doesn't bother me one bit.

I was a Gringo (GreenGo) in Central America - that one only slightly bothered me as it is more commonly used for US citizens, rather than Europeans. but it didn't really matter.

And of course I was a Farang/Falang in LOS, which was fine by me.

It will do when people that know your name v well still refer to you as farang when talking between themselves...

The paradox is not lost on me personally that virtually every Thai in Thailand wishes they had white skin. I think that is utterly hysterical.

So when somebody gets all excited and starts pointing out the 'farang' in the vicinity, I generally point out they are kon Thai.

The conversations, in Thai, usually go like this, example:

Thai kid: "Mom, look! A farang."

Me to my wife: "Honey, look! A Thai kid <dek kon Thai>!"

Other than that, the whole 'farang' thing is out of my circle of control; I'm not going to change ingrained Thai cultural biases, but I can poke fun at them. whistling.gif

So, don't look to me to take up 'The White Man's Burden." I'll leave that load for someone more 'sensitive' than I to bear.

Same here.

Nothing is going to change in our lifetime, or in the next generation. Only Thais can eventually realise that using farang as a descriptor (when the farang can hear them - and especially when the Thais know our name!) is rude.

Edited by dick dasterdly

It's an easy identifier. Strikes me as another way for people to be offended for no good reason. That's the problem with the world. Everyone is overly offended by things that have no bearing on their life whatsoever.

I've often wondered how the Thais living in my home country would react to being constantly referred to as "the Asian".

All thai women in the UK usually get referred to as "Ting Tong" after the character in the TV show "Little Britain" giggle.gif

What is evenmore "........." is the fact that foreigners refer to themselves as...farang....

It must be a forumthing because all my years coming/living in Thailand I have never heard it. Thank god !

That

Is

Impossible.

Even if you are Green, and have three eyes .. it is impossible to never had heard that term.

Thank you very big.

I meant....foreigners referring to themselves as "farang".

Low selfesteem springs to mind.

You listen and observe a lot, but you've never heard a Thai say an 'R' sound?

Never is a little strong, isn't it? There is one guy that said sorry almost perfectly. I've tried many times to help my wife pronounce it and after a decent amount of trying it comes out, but it's gone again immediately. Perhaps it's just an Isaan thing. We've been all over the country, but the listening is mostly around here I suppose. Back in the U.S. we have a lot of Thai friends that speak English well. I've had conversations with them about the r. It's the same with Chinese. I've worked with a lot of guys and gals from China, most with PhD's from prestigious U.S. universities. They can write in English far better than I can, but they don't have the r sound.

Farang yes i am a farang. Many Thais call me farang.

Is it offensive or not? Who cares ? Not me.

Thais who know me call me by my name. Thais who dont know me call me farang.

It is better than Thais saying YOU YOU when they speak to me.

If I may, I do find your post kind of contradictory.

You don't mind being called Farang ( I do ) but do not like being called "you, you" whereas it only means "Khun, Khun" as in "Sir,Sir" ( of course, as you know, in Thai there are different levels for "you" )

That simply demonstrates that we hear the words the way we would hear them back home. No one back home would say "you,you" as it kind of insulting.

The same goes for me when I hear Farang: back home I wouldn't call anyone "the foreigner"

You listen and observe a lot, but you've never heard a Thai say an 'R' sound?

You're right - those educated abroad can say the 'r' sound.

But its irreleaant, the L or R in farang is pronounced like most other words with an r in them - somewhere in-between. Just like B and P.

Its entirely irrelevant to this topic.

I've often wondered how the Thais living in my home country would react to being constantly referred to as "the Asian".

All thai women in the UK usually get referred to as "Ting Tong" after the character in the TV show "Little Britain" giggle.gif

That's good to know!

If Thai women are pretty much always called Ting Tong in the UK, there is absolutely no reason for me to get miffed at being constantly called farang.

Farang yes i am a farang. Many Thais call me farang.

Is it offensive or not? Who cares ? Not me.

Thais who know me call me by my name. Thais who dont know me call me farang.

It is better than Thais saying YOU YOU when they speak to me.

As a general term, I don't find it offensive. But as written in the article about the man in the restaurant, I would be upset also. In many other countries, they'd say something like "what would the gentleman like". Or something similar. Farang shouldn't be used in that situation. Rude. IMHO.

I don't get it. Unless he had spoken to the waiter first why should the waiter have suspected he spoke Thai? I go to the same hospital every month to get a prescription refilled and the receptionists and clerks and pharmacists are different every time, and they never expect that I speak Thai. They do have enough farang customers who speak Thai that they know to ask me, and of course they are supposed to speak English anyway (most of them don't, but if necessary they'll try), but in the market even when I speak Thai to them they panic because they believe farangs never know Thai. I mean what's the big deal? Why is "farang" more offensive than "the guy in the red shirt?" Maybe it's because I've always been isolated from other farangs the greater part of every day and have had to treat Thais as if they were people. Some farangs who think they speak Thai think the words "guu" and "meung" are incredibly rude, but most of the people in Thailand use them in everyday speech without thinking anything of it (usually only with friends, though). If you think people are calling you names without provocation you should consider that maybe you misunderstand the situation.

I have lived in this village for 9 years. Most of the children I have known from birth and get smiles from them. Most of them know my name. Many refer to me as Dta Kit. (They can't say Keith)

Then, almost inevitably, there comes a day when the children see you and with a mischievous expression on their faces say the single word "Farang", sometimes following me and repeating "Farang" over and over. They obviously know that they are being naughty. There must be a reason for them to suddenly start doing this. Any ideas why?

Edited by khaowong1

I find it mildly offensive because it is French! The word refers to the French who occupied Thailand years ago. When I am referred to as a Falange by someone I don,t know I tell them that I am not French, that I am an American,

When did the French occupy Thailand?

What we have here is a clash of cultures. Those of us in the West have been educated through time to understand that referring to a person by race, creed,color etc is considered not only rude but possibly racist or certainly not politically correct. Many of my black friends call each other - 'niggah' an offshoot of the hard ending. They do it to take the sting of years of racism away. They would not get mad if I did it but as a white person I cannot bring myself to refer to a friend with a term that is actually offensive.

Thai people have not had the history of anyone protesting against certain terminology or making it evident that certain terms are offensive. Thai people ask each other personal questions that we would never ask in the West. Thais have a long history of categorizing people by race; color; sexual preference and many other things. Thais are not offended and they cannot understand why we would be. It is just a different perspective. As long as there is no outward animosity or a qualified added to the term Farang- I just let it go. Thailand will evolve eventually and reach a point where the culture will adjust just as Western civilization will. The only term I really resent is being called 'it' or Mun in Thai. this indicates I am not even a person and is extremely derogatory as well as racist. This term is normally used by the so called hi so people that are allegedly educated and fully understand what it means. That is what makes it even worse. I can ignore an uneducated rural Thai calling me a Farang or backsida but calling me an 'it' will not be tolerated.

I find it mildly offensive because it is French! The word refers to the French who occupied Thailand years ago. When I am referred to as a Falange by someone I don,t know I tell them that I am not French, that I am an American,

Yes, that will make a lot of sense to them and they will desist immediately from calling any non-French people farang.

You might, but I don't!!!!

IT IS OFFENSIVE!!!!

My dog has a name and the Thai's who know him refer yo him by that, not as "the dog".

If they can manage that with a dog, then I expect at least the same!

The Thai's KNOW is is offensive and derogatory, why else do they look so ashamed when glared at after they use the term in my presence!

I usually waste a lot of time trying to tell those foreigners not to call themselves farang and a lot of time telling those who are not fluent in Thai that 'farang' is derogatory and Thais don't like us and use the same pronoun(mun) as they do for a dog(and other animals and Africans). Today, I can't be arsed.

Call yourself farang, pretend all Thais love you and the word is a friendly one and live happily, ignorantly ever after.

What we have here is a clash of cultures. Those of us in the West have been educated through time to understand that referring to a person by race, creed,color etc is considered not only rude but possibly racist or certainly not politically correct.

That's nonsense. It's absolutely fine to refer to somebody's race, as long as you don't use offensive terminology to do so, or imply that their race is somehow inferior.

Edited by SoiBiker