Songkran and pickpocketing - they nearly got me, be careful!

1234asdf

I put this in general since it applies anywhere where there are crowds at Songkran, but this happened on Silom Road in Bangkok.

This post is just to describe to other people how it can happen, so you are more likely to realise in time, if it happens to you.

I had one of those waterproof pouches with cash and a phone in, in a velcro pocket on the front of my shorts.

The whole thing took about 10-15 seconds. You have to picture a big crowd, with not much space to move. You can walk but not walk fast. You definitely can't run. At first I didn't really suspect anything. 2 or 3 youngish Thai guys were in front of me and they weren't moving forwards even though there was some space in front of them. But this is normal in Thailand right? People have little spacial awareness here and everybody is enjoying themselves, so I just wait. This lasts about 10 seconds and I start to politely try and push past them. They don't let me do that and there are people to either side who, at the time, I think are people just like me, trying to get past. But they aren't, they are in on it. Then in an instant, the crowd around me breaks up, and that's partly what makes me realise something is wrong, it's an immediate and coordinated dispersal - if they had just kept up their act a little longer, or dispersed gradually, maybe I wouldn't have any idea. So this is the first time I take my mind away from Songkran and think to myself, what's going on here? My senses are heightened and something in the back of my head thinks, did I just feel my pocket getting lighter, and moving slightly? I check my pocket and sure enough it's empty.

We're talking only a second or two after they've all split, I'm now fully aware of what's happened and I grab the nearest one to me, she's small and shaped a bit like a christmas tree. I think she's the one who took it, but I think she passed it to somebody else as soon as she took it. I could be wrong though. My immediate reaction is that it's gone, there's no way I'm getting this back because there were at least half a dozen of them that scattered, and I don't know who has it.

She starts pointing somewhere else and about 20 seconds later another foreigner who she was pointing in the direction of, hands it back to me, he says it was on the floor.

I think that the group had seen that I'd grabbed one of them, and either she, or whoever she passed it to, just dropped it and cut their losses to avoid me dragging her off to the police (lots of police around there by the way but they just sit around at equally spaced intervals, leaving the area in between free for these people to operate).

I think they bottled it. They had it and I didn't know who had it. They'd already won.

To be fair to the police there are signs around prominent points e.g. BTS exits warning about pickpockets. These people operate in groups - bigger groups than you think, you cannot be aware of who is around you all of the time, you need to take precautions before it happens. Don't take much cash. Don't take your phone unless you have to. Wear that pouch thing around your neck. If you are drunk you have no chance. There's no way if I'd have had even a couple of beers my mind would be thinking clear enough to notice a slight movement in my pocket.

I also noticed afterwards; this woman and at least one of the others had no gun. Who goes to the biggest water fight in the world with no water gun?

• Like 2

Post removed.

7) You will respect fellow members and post in a civil manner. No personal attacks, hateful or insulting towards other members, (flaming) Stalking of members on either the forum or via PM will not be allowed.

10) Do not discuss moderation publicly in the open forum; this includes individual actions, and specific or general policies and issues. You may send a PM to a moderator to discuss individual actions or email support (at) thaivisa.com to discuss moderation policy.

i finally just got one of thèm billfolds with a pocket chain. clips onto uour belt loop.

works grest and also dont have to worry about lesving the wsllet snywhere or falling out of your pocket while driving. very common on those money wallets uou csn find at any leather shop.

iphone fits in as well and it has a zipper closure rsther then the folding type so dont have to worry about stuff falling out either

its nice to not have to worry about it anymore.

Get ready for an avalanche of apologists explaining

2. That it could happen anywhere.

3. That's it's much worse in Sydney/London/Paris/Seattle, etc.

Pickpocketing does happen all over the World and its certainly a lot worse in some other Countries

• Like 1

I was pick-pocketed in Indonesia 20+ years ago at a songtaew-type bus station. 3 man team:

The bumper

The pick

The hand-off

Very slick. They got cash, travelers checks, and credit cards but not my passport, other travelers checks and (then) paper airline ticket. The credit cards were canceled and replaced and the travelers checks refunded at AmEx in Jakarta as I had the numbers. Cash obviously gone,

BTW there are razor-blade artists out there who can slice just about anything without your knowing it including a pocket, fanny-pack or a belt loop.

Edited by JLCrab
  • Like 2

i have acquired an automated reaction i am not even consciously aware of doing it. if my space is impinged in any way my hand goes straight to my wallet and stays there till the space is clear

have i ever succumbed? yes once possibly twice both by girl of advanced repute. i didnt feel my space was being impinged. they do staring and murmur while stinking their hand in your pocket.

unsuccessful attempt by various other characters, too may to remember.

Same. If I'm walking through a busy area my hands naturally go into my pockets, making wallet and phone pretty much impossible to be stolen

You were lucky to smell a rat.

Yes they rarely "work" alone.

I was had 30 years ago on the Ramblas, Barcelona, my own fault.

Next morning I walked the Ramblas early morning to watch life going on.

I saw a man exercising his dog to pickup a wallet and run off, they were a professional team...

Since that day I don't let anyone invading my space, markets or any dense people places.

There was police 10m from where it happened, I withheld the thieving woman but her price was long handed over. I then was advised to complain at the police station where some 10+ people were waiting to register a theft. I saw a bus load of kids with their care takers who told me their bus was parked nearby whilst they had a walk around. It was their last evening and they had bought presents for their parent and friends. Thieves busted the bus and took it all. I gave up registering the theft.

I despise thieves ever since.

• Like 2

The first little rockslide and you have my sympathies

1 No Pickpockets are scungy mongrels

2. Yes but especially in Silom or Bangkok Railway Station

3 Sort of- Worse in Barcelona, Rome or Paris

4 No, unlike you the poster is completely credible

5 No he shouldn't "why be involvedin the idiocy of rural life"

Now I won't hold you to the order of your rankings but 2 out of 5 isn't very good

1. That it was really your fault.

4. That they don't believe you.

5. That you should move to the countryside where everyone is nice and not "corrupted by farangs."

Probably in that order.

The first little rockslide and you have my sympathies

1 No Pickpockets are scungy mongrels

2. Yes but especially in Silom or Bangkok Railway Station

3 Sort of- Worse in Barcelona, Rome or Paris

4 No, unlike you the poster is completely credible

5 No he shouldn't "why be involvedin the idiocy of rural life"

Now I won't hold you to the order of your rankings but 2 out of 5 isn't very good

1. That it was really your fault.

4. That they don't believe you.

5. That you should move to the countryside where everyone is nice and not "corrupted by farangs."

Probably in that order.

6. That could not care less.

Don't worry, I am sure it happened, at the Festival of Lights in Nakhon Phanom, a huge crowd and all I felt was a brush past me, but I was very aware and I slapped the hand and turned and it was an older Lao lady and she definitely was into pickpocket trade. She started shouting at me trying to draw attention from her, but she was shocked as I pointed at her and gave her two barrels back, and louder. She hence, lost face immediately, drew attention to her and she started to try and back off and I just kept at her until she pushed thru the crowd and disappeared. My partner did not understand my actions until I explained and then he tried to find her to report her to the police, but needle in the haystack stuff. But I found it better to go on the attack when I clearly knew her activity in this instance. Piece of scum!

• Like 1

Yes they do work in teams and Barcelona is renown for the scum. I was on a tour with about 30 people and at least 4 of them were pickpocketed ot had their bags snatched.

In Paris the gypsy teenagers hunt in groups and one method is to have a pack of ten or twenty rush you. I was lucky to see them coming from abour ten or so meters so I adopted a boxing stance and started to jab and weave. It was like a parting of the waves.

You were lucky to smell a rat.

Yes they rarely "work" alone.
I was had 30 years ago on the Ramblas, Barcelona, my own fault.
Next morning I walked the Ramblas early morning to watch life going on.
I saw a man exercising his dog to pickup a wallet and run off, they were a professional team...
Since that day I don't let anyone invading my space, markets or any dense people places.
There was police 10m from where it happened, I withheld the thieving woman but her price was long handed over. I then was advised to complain at the police station where some 10+ people were waiting to register a theft. I saw a bus load of kids with their care takers who told me their bus was parked nearby whilst they had a walk around. It was their last evening and they had bought presents for their parent and friends. Thieves busted the bus and took it all. I gave up registering the theft.
I despise thieves ever since.

...hat off to you BR....

...the police warn people....

...scum relish these festivals for easy money....

...no....'you must have dropped it'......up....then out.....of your pocket......

...get your face bashed in.....get knifed....or your gold chain ripped off your neck.....you must not 'cast aspersions'...no...no....very bad.....

i finally just got one of thèm billfolds with a pocket chain. clips onto uour belt loop.

works grest and also dont have to worry about lesving the wsllet snywhere or falling out of your pocket while driving. very common on those money wallets uou csn find at any leather shop.

iphone fits in as well and it has a zipper closure rsther then the folding type so dont have to worry about stuff falling out either

its nice to not have to worry about it anymore.

Because no one would be able to yank off your belt loop?

The "a" key is just a tad further to the left of the "s" key on your keyboard.

So this was like a 20-strong pickpocket gang?

I think there's a little paranoia at work here.

No SB could have been even more it was just like that movie focus. With christmas tree girl as margot robbie and a thai version of will smith

Reminds me of the pick pockets on the bus ride from Jakarta to YogJakarta....Indonesia.....everybody on the bus is on it !!!

When the bus stops just for a pis and food brake ? if you try to walk out all of sudden everybody want to go out to, and they block you on the way out in such a way you can not move your arms....and several hands go into your pockets and relieve you of your valuables...I was waiting for this bus in Jakarta reading about it in the "Lonely Planet" when the bus arrived a couple came out and said they were robed in the bus......!!!

I took a taxy to the airport and took a cheep flight to YogJakarta instead !!! 55555555

Best regards.Off Road Pat.

• Like 1