Stephen Hawking helps unveil interstellar travel project

snoop1130

Stephen Hawking helps unveil interstellar travel project
Euronews

606x341_329831.jpg

A Russian billionaire has enlisted physicist Stephen Hawking to help him launch a futuristic plan for seeking life in outer space.

Called the Breakthrough Starshot mission it envisages a mother ship launching thousands of minute spacecraft into space which will then use lazers from Earth to travel at 20% the speed of light to the nearest star system.

Yuri Milner and Stephen Hawking see it as an achievable challenge.

“With light beams, light sails and the lightest spacecraft ever built we can launch a mission to Alpha Centauri within a generation. Today we commit to this great next leap into the cosmos because we are human and our nature is to fly,” Theoretical Physicist Stephen Hawking told journalists at the press launch in New York.

The spacecraft will be the size of a chip used in electronic devices… a nanoship. Using current technology it would take about 30,000 years to get the nearest star system.

It’s hoped that with a little more research it might be possible to cut that journey time to just 30 years.

euronews2.png
-- (c) Copyright Euronews 2016-04-13

it would take about 30,000 years to get the nearest star system.

Thank goodness for that as I'll be long gone by the time the aliens from Alpha Centauri decide to add the Earth to their serfdom.

Hold up, you misquoted and left out the important bit..

"It’s hoped that with a little more research it might be possible to cut that journey time to just 30 years" .

Hopefully I'll still be rocking in 30 years.

it would take about 30,000 years to get the nearest star system.

Thank goodness for that as I'll be long gone by the time the aliens from Alpha Centauri decide to add the Earth to their serfdom.

Hold up, you misquoted and left out the important bit..

"Its hoped that with a little more research it might be possible to cut that journey time to just 30 years" .

Hopefully I'll still be rocking in 30 years.

ohmy.png I missed that bit! So it's 30 years there and 5 minutes back at warp 10. Hmm, nah, I'll still be long gone by then.

Wasn't it Stephen Hawking who once stated it was not a good idea to attract the attention of intelligent extraterrestrial life because if they came to Earth it would probably not turn out well for us.

Yes, that's my understanding as well.

Michio Kaku, a well-known physicist, stated:

"An extremely advanced civilization visiting humans would almost be like humans going down to an ant hill and telling them: "I bring you computers, I bring you nuclear power, I bring you knowledge…" Most of the time we simply step on them instead."

In the third paragraph of the following linked, short article is a longer quote from Hawking stating in more detail what Steely Dan has just mentioned:

http://bigthink.com/dr-kakus-universe/is-there-intelligent-life-in-the-universe

However, Kaku also states in the same article:

"They [aliens] might be benevolent since they have had thousands to millions of years to work off their aggressive tendencies."

On a final note, I was just thinking of that Twilight Zone episode, "To Serve Man."

Wasn't it Stephen Hawking who once stated it was not a good idea to attract the attention of intelligent extraterrestrial life because if they came to Earth it would probably not turn out well for us.

But they are already here.

They are only going to go to the Centauri system... .

That particular star system (which is a multiple star system) is the closest to Earth and has been studied way more than the many other much further away star systems where we have discovered planets orbiting their parent stars..

The Centauri system is only 4.4 light years away...

Of all the stars in the night sky.... the Centauri system are the closest stars to us beyond out own Sun...

There are no planets orbiting in a life supporting zone in the Centauri system, and no signs of any intelligence in that system. A planet that has been detected around Alpha Centauri B is too close to its parent star to harbour life. Much too massive and much too hot...

All our observations of the system in visual and electromagnetic spectrum etc. has failed to detect any intelligence ..... .

... So no need to worry about space aliens coming to visit after this project reaches it's conclusion..

That particular star system (which is a multiple star system) is the closest to Earth and has been studied way more than the many other much further away star systems where we have discovered planets orbiting their parent stars..

Of all the stars in the night sky.... the Centauri system are the closest stars to us beyond out own Sun...

There are no planets orbiting in a life supporting zone in the Centauri system, and no signs of any intelligence in that system. A planet that has been detected around Alpha Centauri B is too close to its parent star to harbour life. Much too massive and much too hot...

All our observations of the system in visual and electromagnetic spectrum etc. has failed to detect any intelligence ..... .

... So no need to worry about space aliens coming to visit after this project reaches it's conclusion..

Good point!

But, assuming that there is such advanced alien life relatively nearby, would it not be possible for paths or for the signals of probes to cross?

I think you know more about science than I do. So, I am really asking.

Good point!

But, assuming that there is such advanced alien life relatively nearby, would it not be possible for paths or for the signals of probes to cross?

For just a bit more than 100 years now... we've been broadcasting signals into space.... . radio... and then TV and other signals ...

So every star system in a 100 light year radius like an expanding balloon from our world has been in the path of these signals... . Thousands of star systems in that area of space... and those signals keep expanding... at the speed of light.. reaching more and more star systems all the time...

Any really highly intelligent civilization that is thousands of years more developed than us that is in that vast area.... already knows we are here..

Too late to do anything about it now. Hope they are friendly.. . Because if they can travel the vast light years to get here..... they would be advanced enough to destroy us as easily as we can destroy a colony of ants.

Good point!

For just a bit more than 100 years now... we've been broadcasting signals into space.... . radio... and then TV and other signals ...

So every star system in a 100 light year radius like an expanding balloon from our world has been in the path of these signals... . Thousands of star systems in that area of space... and those signals keep expanding... at the speed of light.. reaching more and more star systems all the time...

Any really highly intelligent civilization that is thousands of years more developed than us that is in that vast area.... already knows we are here..

Too late to do anything about it now. Hope they are friendly.. . Because if they can travel the vast light years to get here..... they would be advanced enough to destroy us as easily as we can destroy a colony of ants.

Thanks! That makes sense.

As for what they are like, assuming they do exist and are relatively nearby, my fingers are crossed.

" All our observations of the system in visual and electromagnetic spectrum etc. has failed to detect any intelligence ..... ."

I strongly suspect their observations of us would yield the same opinions.

So every star system in a 100 light year radius like an expanding balloon from our world has been in the path of these signals... .

<snip>

I'm in the south of Phuket island and can't pick up a decent TV signal from Phuket Town. Do you really think these alien-filled planets can watch our TV? laugh.png

Good point!

As I understand it, Cosmologists like Hawking have long maintained that we are likely alone in the Universe (at least so far as evidence shows) because of these microwave radio signals. It's not that we have been broadcasting, which we have, it is more the case that we have not yet intercepted any intelligible patterns of radio signals from elsewhere that indicate intelligent life. And, any intelligent life would necessarily have to emit and use microwave transmission as the Universe if composed of this.

If I've stated this incorrectly hopefully someone trained the sciences or physical cosmology can correct me, but even though we cannot reasonably believe we are alone in this vast universe we cannot find proof that we are not.

Therefore...no aliens coming soon that we know of. wink.png

"An extremely advanced civilization visiting humans would almost be like humans going down to an ant hill and telling them: "I bring you computers, I bring you nuclear power, I bring you knowledge…" Most of the time we simply step on them instead."

In the third paragraph of the following linked, short article is a longer quote from Hawking stating in more detail what Steely Dan has just mentioned:

"They [aliens] might be benevolent since they have had thousands to millions of years to work off their aggressive tendencies."

On a final note, I was just thinking of that Twilight Zone episode, "To Serve Man."

"years to work off their aggressive tendencies".

Why is it that in despite of demonstrated intelligence is there this assignation of human trait to possible extra terrestial life forms?blink.png

"An extremely advanced civilization visiting humans would almost be like humans going down to an ant hill and telling them: "I bring you computers, I bring you nuclear power, I bring you knowledge" Most of the time we simply step on them instead."

"years to work off their aggressive tendencies".

Why is it that in despite of demonstrated intelligence is there this assignation of human trait to possible extra terrestial life forms?blink.png

I guess the numbers are a bit off or they've got the wrong star?

4.5 light years at 20% speed of light would be 23 years. I suppose with such tiny force, the acceleration would also be tiny?

Maybe the nano craft only reaches top speed just before arrival

How would it brake?

I heard Steven Hawking was injured recently. Went on a blind date and got stood up!

Sorry.....

If it proves to be that we are the only one of our kind in the Universe...... does that make us the first ...or the last.....of our kind??

Too deep for me crazy.gif

I'll give it a shot. Assuming there are other worlds in the Universe with similar atmospheric, chemical and biological components, there is no evidence that any homo sapiens species would emerge, and it might be that Velociraptors or something else might have emerged as dominant species with a bigger brain and even if conditions for life are exactly as our own, our kind might be nothing more than a lower food chain creature....kinda like you see walking the streets in Pattaya. tongue.png

So...yeah, we're probably the first and last of our kind.

Good point!

As I understand it, Cosmologists like Hawking have long maintained that we are likely alone in the Universe (at least so far as evidence shows) because of these microwave radio signals. It's not that we have been broadcasting, which we have, it is more the case that we have not yet intercepted any intelligible patterns of radio signals from elsewhere that indicate intelligent life. And, any intelligent life would necessarily have to emit and use microwave transmission as the Universe if composed of this.

If I've stated this incorrectly hopefully someone trained the sciences or physical cosmology can correct me, but even though we cannot reasonably believe we are alone in this vast universe we cannot find proof that we are not.

Therefore...no aliens coming soon that we know of. wink.png

Far from conclusive proof, but enough to whet the appetite: Wow! Signal

I'll give it a shot. Assuming there are other worlds in the Universe with similar atmospheric, chemical and biological components, there is no evidence that any homo sapiens species would emerge, and it might be that Velociraptors or something else might have emerged as dominant species with a bigger brain and even if conditions for life are exactly as our own, our kind might be nothing more than a lower food chain creature....kinda like you see walking the streets in Pattaya. tongue.png

So...yeah, we're probably the first and last of our kind.

There are more stars in the universe than there are grains of sand on earth.

There are more H atoms in 1 drop of water than the # of galaxies in the universe.

If we could send probes far enough, they would find not only lots of intelligent species, but some similar (tho not identical) to humans. Also similar: many basic things that we take for granted: math, building & building supplies supplies, psychology, wars, religion, crafts, tools. One thing they won't find: PIK (payment in kind) a program where the US government pays farmers to not grow crops.

Also, interstellar messages take decades to get from closest star systems.Probes will have to be programmed to make their own decisions. If a probe wondered about taking step R or step Y, it would be too time consuming to phone home to get an answer.

It seems rather incredible that such actions are based on private initiatives.

Humans have trouble imagining alien life (even the term "life" could be problematic) as anything that does not relate to the human experience.

Assuming that aliens would share our concepts of morality, physics and even reality, is grounded on conditions which might not apply.

Same old story .money number one. Sad a great British Brain has fallen for the buck .

Archived