moving 90 % of all my Cash to Asia and Thailand + Step by Step + stay liquid?

I am planning to move around 90 % of my cash to Asia and Thailand - I am going to

break my Ties with my former Home till I am too old or too sick

my Plan is to do it Step by Step and invest it into several interesting diversified Assets

some will be invested in small Real Estate Projects for low to middle Class Thais, some

into the ETF Stock and Bond Market World Wide - maybe a small Thai Business for daily Cash

so good ( or bad) so far....

I still wreck my Brain about how to stay invested on one Side and stay liquid on the other Side -

and what could be my "other" Options ?

any Ideas or Suggestions are much appreciated

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

More information required.

The Real Estate projects could be problematic.

What Thai business are you considering?

Do you have experience in said business concern?

Where do you live presently?

Liquid funds available after investment.

Exit plan when you are old and sick.

Visa?

The list goes on.

I would suggest do not make these moves until you have at least 10 years on the ground in Thailand and been involved in business.

Thailand is the Nigeria of Asia when it comes to ethics and morals in doing business.

You can't trust the authorities or the lawyers when things go belly up....and they will.

I did exactly that and now only have my pension coming from Europe. Step by step over 8 years until my 2 houses were sold and money transferred. Obviously a FX account is first on the list. Personally I invested in condos for income and get around 8% net. Forget business but how old are you? don't even consider it under 50.

I would suggest do not make these moves until you have at least 10 years on the ground in Thailand and been involved in business.

Thailand is the Nigeria of Asia when it comes to ethics and morals in doing business.

You can't trust the authorities or the lawyers when things go belly up....and they will.

he would be better off investing in a --- girl he's never met,and finding one you can TRUST.giggle.gif

he would be better off investing in a --- girl he's never met,and finding one you can TRUST.giggle.gif

hehe yes and maybe invest in her bar business? or Amway? or the family Buffalo farm?

...some will be invested in small Real Estate Projects for low to middle Class Thais

Don't worry, once you get a Thai GF chances are good she will want you to invest in her dream of building a small apartment building of 10 or so rooms in her home town which can be rented out to poor Thais. Then you may even be offered the investment opportunity of building a small home for her or close family members to fulfill another of her investment dreams.

I did exactly that and now only have my pension coming from Europe. Step by step over 8 years until my 2 houses were sold and money transferred. Obviously a FX account is first on the list. Personally I invested in condos for income and get around 8% net. Forget business but how old are you? don't even consider it under 50.

Oh, heres one now

You get 8% net do you? On condos

Explain to us how you think you get 8% net after all costs, when you have yet to sell them. Also explain to us what 8% of the buy price really is this year or next year.

Truth is, you dont really know what your average returns will be, what you think is 8% more like 2%

Easiest is to leave the money on the bank and accept the low interest. You only need an Elite card, a first class health insurance and about 100,000 baht to spend monthly for a worry free live.

Fortunately I do not have so much money that I have to worry what to do with it :D

You only need an Elite card, a first class health insurance... about 100,000 baht to spend monthly for a worry free live.

Not all of us want to live like an impecunious peasant in Isaan. Make that a million a month for a basic lifestyle. Caviare and champagne don't come cheap in this country thanks to the ludicrous import duties and taxes. And have you seen how much it costs to import a Ferrari?

The other way around brother. Keep 90% of your assets in your home country and take 10 % to Thailand. Then hang around Thailand for 2 years. After those 2 years are over, your desire to invest in Thailand may well have vanished.

Cheers.

I am planning to move around 90 % of my cash to Asia and Thailand

any Ideas or Suggestions are much appreciated

An excellent idea, I can certainly recommend the "Musty Jack Somchai Guaranteed Investment Pattaya Condominium Trust", registered in Panama this trust is guaranteed to give returns of at least 75% p.a.

Please forward your retirement funds, errrrr remittance, to MJS holdings, Rue de la Naive, Panama and in return we will send you a certificate of ownership for your brand new ocean view condominium. (expected completion date 2045)

Why are there so many crazy people want to "invest" their money in this corrupt sewer? Can't just be sun, sex and sea, can it? Nor the appalling TAT adverts. OP says he is "planning". Does he have the faintest idea of what this means? Must be some worldwide mumbo jumbo

Edited by laolover88

1 what home country are you coming from

2 what are your monthly needs budget

3 real estate in Thailand not the right time see what happens with govt here and what happens to the Chinese. thailand and china are in this together now

4 canary in the coal mine is Singapore their economy is frozen solid nothing going on there

5 so there is no rush at all

I have found it very easy to be invested and liquid if by liquid you mean you are able to get cash money for your day to day needs when you need it.

All of my money is invested in a brokerage in the American markets either in individual stocks, ETF's, REIT's, or mutual funds. I can do all things online with that account. Those investments create an income for me. I have a checking account that is tied into that brokerage account and with it comes an ATM card where all the ATM fees all over the world are reimbursed every month. Charles Schwab is the one I use.

When I need money I go to the ATM and get it. Usually 20K at a time. I would not dream about investing any money here. I do have a bank acct here with about 10K Bt in it but I never use it.

Edited by bluebluewater

Thailand is a great place to retire, live, work and/or invest. If your bringing money in be to buy a condo be sure to get a TorTorSam (TT3) from the bank (issued only for $50K and above) which will make repatriating easy when you sell. Or if your moving funds in slowly get a certified letter from the bank showing the FF incoming and purpose to buy condo. As long as you have good records of bringing in the money the less trouble you'll have repatriating. Stock market is always risky especially right now but could be a good bargain now too. Study what stock your buying. Try reading invester recommendations like Tisco securities or other banks. Careful with realestate companies as not all are equal. Need to study that. Fixed Income like BFixed giving about 3.4% now and very stable. Thailand rated as stable BBB+ or better. Could have some short term risk if political protests or another Coup happens but would quickly rebound as it always has. Ive been over 20 years and have all my assets and savings here. No plan to return back to my homeland even when Im old. Well maybe when Im really old and need to stay in a nursing home. Oh that might be a good investment here. Retirement homes for expat seniors.

Please let me introduce myself & permit me to inform you of my desire of going into business relationship with you. I have the belief you are a reputable, responsible and trustworthy person I can do business with and by matter of trust I must not hesitate to confide in you for this simple and sincere business.

I am Eddie Johnson the only son of late Mr Boni Amah Johnson whom was killed by the rebels that attacked our country cote d'Ivoire west Africa and took over our town (BOUAKE).

I ran to Abidjan the economical capital of cote d'ivoire from were I am contacting you. Before the death of my father he told me that he has a sum of US$9,000,000 kept in a private security company here in cote d'ivoire in my name as the next of kin,

Dear, in the capacity of the next of kin and with all the documents in my hand now, I am contacting you with due sence of humanity that you will give it a sympathetic and mutual consideration.

I am honourably seeking your assistance in the following ways.

-To serve as the guardian of this fund.

-To provide good investment plans for the fund and to manage the fund for 5 years, during the investment period,only our profit will be shared annually 70% for me the investor while 30% will be for you.

-Moreover, I am willing to offer you 15% of the total sum as compensation for your effort /input after the successful transfer of this fund to your nominated account overseas, before the investments starts.
Anticipating hearing from you immediately.

Thanks and God bless.
Best Regards.
Eddie

Edited by CousinEddie

All Depends on how much you have (or are willing to tell us). First, secure sufficient funds\pension for visa purposes in Thailand - although those could be from back home. Next look at how much you can keep at home and be tax free (if any). Finally, can you find any SAFE investment here? Bear in mind that politically and economically the mid-term outlook is bleak - both could seriously impact the value of the baht.

Please be very careful, I am retired and have all my funds out of England, BUT not into Thailand

Things change you might have problems getting money out of Thailand later, in thailand you can not invest in ETFs in the US or direct in the US and UK markets

I am a retired Chartered Accountant, I neither seek nor want work however if you want advice and PM me I will give you my phone number

A fool and his money is easily parted

This is a belated April Fool post, right?

The OP can make a small fortune with his ideas - provided he starts with a large one.

Rule # 1 in Thailand is never have more money here than you can afford to walk away from. 90% of my assets are in Australia, and that's where they will stay.

Gold as a hedge here is not a bad idea, provided you have somewhere to put it.

CousinEddy, your sincerity and honesty is a shining light to us all. PM me if you would like to get in on the ground floor of a unique business opportunity. It involves a bridge in Sydney Harbour.

Condos as an investment in Thailand?cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Please be very careful, I am retired and have all my funds out of England, BUT not into Thailand

Things change you might have problems getting money out of Thailand later, in thailand you can not invest in ETFs in the US or direct in the US and UK markets

I am a retired Chartered Accountant, I neither seek nor want work however if you want advice and PM me I will give you my phone number

A fool and his money is easily parted

Oh dear me!

Hi,

How long have you lived in Thailand or Asia? I have lived here 16 years and yes have see a few success stories, mainly by guys that came here a life time ago!

For every success there are many, many fatalities! With this general in charge things will change from day to day! You seem a guy who knows what he wants to do but step carefully! I have seen friends having to go home having been burnt. Once I was told by a man who had lived here for many years, Thai's will rip you off but Farangs will rip you off big time.ChiangMai when the pollution has eased is a fine place to live, but lve here and enjoy; make friends and have a good time. Finally I am from the UK and apart from the odd month or two in the UK love it here! Regards and success with your move, FS

Agree with your post, but why not invest in condos if your are under 50?

I am a retired businessman and been here for a while. I have seen a few people make a living here, but not many. If you are not experienced, there is definitely a learning curve... if you did make money here, how would you get it out?

And the idea of staying here until infirm, then going home, very often being truly inform means that you do not have the capacity either mentally or physically to get it together... you cannot plan what infirmity you might end up with in the future...

I think you are not being very thoughtful about this... I am 10% here and 90% invested back home...

Thailand is a great place for a worry free life, a relaxed existence, not terrific for business... if you want, start another thread and ask questions along those lines... even my Thai friends have trouble with employees... good luck.