Swiss man dead as family outing ends in pick-up tragedy in Udon Thani

webfact

These are not people movers, simple, again, Thailand is behind the times and will not put a ban in place. Too easy to do, too hard to do it in Thailand.

Rubbish it is illegal to carry passengers in the back of a truck.

Stop posting nonsense

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another waste of lives due to some idiot driving drunk and the other Idiots in the truck for both allowing him to drive drunk and getting in the vehicle of a drunk driver.

Agreed, but I suspect refusing to ride with the already drunk 27yo Thai man or suggesting someone else should drive is about as dangerous as getting on the truck with him. Catch 22 situation. RIP and very very tragic indeed.

just like a dog, if de-facing is done correctly the victim backs of with tail between legs rather then becoming aggressive.

i call this 'defacing face', as oppossed to 'losing face'.

de-face their face!

Refusing to get into the truck with the wife's family would have been

In his place I would have got into the truck too, praying to god we made it,

As one day I will die, I just don't know the where when or how,

RIP

"a massive loss of face for her,"

That would be the last thing what comes in my mind, blink.png

I usually drive always myself in cars and on motor bikers,

I do nearly never drink alcohol myself and would never drive with a driver who did drink.

If there is no other solution, I would stay behind and/or pay some guest rooms for a night in a resort. whistling.gif

where is pattaya 3 and would you take children there in the night?

if it anywhere near the ordinary pattaya, its a hell of a long way to sit in the back of a truck with so many people

Pattaya 3 is at about 2 kilometers of Ban_Nong_Luang

it's on road 2021 which begins on road 22 , 10 km before arriving at Sawang Daen Din, coming from Udon Thani .

road 2021 direction Song Dao ;

You can go there with children without problems ..Don't be afraid by the name tongue.png ;

it's along a big lake which doesn't exist on Google map clap2.gif

Nice 1 ! You are spot on, it is there indeed and not that far from Udon at all.

still cant pinpoint it, so whats there? (besides places that sell alcohol) why would people drive long distances to go there.

With 40 Celsius and some children, go for a swim and music and drink and eat, hang out, but one reliable person and driver, should be chosen to stay sober!!! blink.png

Thais like drink driving. All of them like drink driving. The police particularly like to drink and drive. It is part of Thai culture. It is the Thai way. The result is a high road fatality rate.

The Udon-NongKhai road is a six lane highway ........any normal driving person can't cause an accident.

Maybe thats why the passed away Swiss and others thought....' ah it takes an elephant to turn over........sadly it was the 'driver'

condolences to all families involved.

The moral is, if there is one, never get into a vehicle with a person who has been drinking, however although it is easy to point fingers, I suspect that just maybe the driver was the least drunk of the people who could drive.

While that does not in my book excuse the accident nor will it bring back the deceased ( RIP ) , and with a reasonable sensible foreigner, it is the only logical reason behind the reason why a person behind the wheel was drunk.

so sad when farangs, who would not normally get into a truck driven by a drunk, let their judgement disappear RiP bad choice

Bit of a stretch Lannaguy.

Maybe HE was too drunk to drive and let the other man drive. Not that uncommon with the pissheads who come to Thailand

well maybe he was and there were two drunks? I have seen this so often, in fact I have been stupid too, many farangs seem to lose their sense when they come here and you will often see a normally sensible farang who would obey laws in his own country riding around 3 on a bike and no helmets.

Also seen many farang get into cars after a drinking session and so I have tried to stop this madness with myself and i don't now drink and drive because I refuse to take a vehicle/bike with me at the start of an evening. I'm pretty sure this guy knew the driver should not be driving and I am sorry he made that fatal choice.

where is pattaya 3 and would you take children there in the night?

if it anywhere near the ordinary pattaya, its a hell of a long way to sit in the back of a truck with so many people

Pattaya 3 is at about 2 kilometers of Ban_Nong_Luang

it's on road 2021 which begins on road 22 , 10 km before arriving at Sawang Daen Din, coming from Udon Thani .

road 2021 direction Song Dao ;

You can go there with children without problems ..Don't be afraid by the name tongue.png ;

it's along a big lake which doesn't exist on Google map clap2.gif

Nice 1 ! You are spot on, it is there indeed and not that far from Udon at all.

Must be 20 kms from where we live.

My wife knows the place, but tells me we will never go there, stupid place with drinking families is her opinion. We never attend (drinking/eating) family outings.

Another needless waste of life. These vehicles are the scariest weapons on the road and why it is legal to carry passengers in the back of the truck is beyond me.

By law it is illegal to carry passengers in the back, but I doubt that anybody has ever, EVER, been prosecuted or even fined.

When I drive the pickup which belongs to my wife ( with my money ), it's forbiden - I'm the driver - to go in the back and also forbidden to be more than 7 people inside it;

On the paper of the full Insurance of the pickup it's written 7 in big like that 7 people ; I cannot understand how we can be 7 in a pickup; there are only 2 seats in the front and there is not enough place for 5 people behind but they wrote 7 ..another strange particularity of Thailand ....

And as I never drink alcool and I don't smoke I think I put all the chances in my side to stay on the road .

RIP to those who lost their life .

7 and less is private passenger and rated accordingly. Anything over 7 is "passenger van" and subject to higher insurance premium.

These are not people movers, simple, again, Thailand is behind the times and will not put a ban in place. Too easy to do, too hard to do it in Thailand.

Stop posting nonsense

If it has a green plate, you're not even allowed to carry people in the back seat.

Agricultural plates licensed for front seat passengers only.

Edited by BritManToo

We went to a large lake yesterday in Sangkhom district east of Udon,It was very pleasant swimming in the lake and sitting on a raft with nice food,.2 days before we went to Suan Kwang water park and Safari park near Khon Kaen, again a very enjoyable day out.As someone mentioned, to have an accident on the Udon- Nongkhai highway the driver must have been well out of it.I must have driven the family in our pick-up over 500 km during Songkran and apart from the occasional speed freak lunatic who must overtake everything I found other drivers safe- until the evenings/night and then it was the motorbike boys,fired up by all day drinking and splashing passing traffic passing through their villages, that were the danger. I can quite believe they cause/are most casualties at Songkran, and there are simply not enough police to control them. Stay away from the side roads at night if possible and always have one sober experienced driver and Songkran can be a lot of fun, especially in a pick-up. On a motorbike? no thank you.

When I drive the pickup which belongs to my wife ( with my money ), it's forbiden - I'm the driver - to go in the back and also forbidden to be more than 7 people inside it;

On the paper of the full Insurance of the pickup it's written 7 in big like that 7 people ; I cannot understand how we can be 7 in a pickup; there are only 2 seats in the front and there is not enough place for 5 people behind but they wrote 7 ..another strange particularity of Thailand ....

And as I never drink alcool and I don't smoke I think I put all the chances in my side to stay on the road .

RIP to those who lost their life .

Are you aware that not only inside the cabin the passengers are carried. They are also carried in the bed (the back part of the pickup). It is common in Thailand. It is possible to fit up to 20 standing people on it.

I know about that; I'm living here since ten years..

And Insurance companies know also ; and know also it's forbidden by thai laws .

Go to section 19

" [When it is necessary to carry passengers, animals or loads in a way not in accordance

with regulations, the vehicle owner may request a police officer for a written temporary

permission to ease the restriction.] "

http://thailaws.com/law/t_laws/tlaw0140_5.pdf

Tragic.......RiP K.Mario.......

And Ditnon Sae-Ngow

Well your Thai (I assume that's what it is) impresses me no end!!

I not only don't know what language it is (but I know that transfering Thai phonetics into Roman letters that sound the same is not easy) but I sure don't know what it means!!

This is an ENGLISH language forum, I can put up with the bad grammar, spelling etc., and it not being a native tongue but if I want to talk Thai I will go out side...thanks

Guess he picked up the local ways.

RIP

I guess he did, but who can blame him? Most foreigners eventually pick up the local ways, except for those moaning grumpy old farts, who shout at every motorcycle or bike being ridden past their houses, because they aren't wearing a helmet or smiling at them in the wrong way or something.

And Ditnon Sae-Ngow

I not only don't know what language it is (but I know that transfering Thai phonetics into Roman letters that sound the same is not easy) but I sure don't know what it means!!

This is an ENGLISH language forum, I can put up with the bad grammar, spelling etc., and it not being a native tongue but if I want to talk Thai I will go out side...thanks

Many different meanings, none of I can think of as amusing.

Immediate thoughts

sae ..... line ... pour on .... Banyan tree ... witch

ngow ..... shadow ..... cold .... lonely .... easy

Edited by BritManToo

And Ditnon Sae-Ngow

That is the name of the woman who died in this accident.

Apparently you can put up with a lot, but reading is too much for you.

Edited by Bluespunk

My pickup, an Isuzu Highlander 4 door, is insured to carry 7. That's a reasonable starting point for guidelines.

That doesn't mean you hsve to carry 7 people, it's up to you to show due care and restraint, and obey the law.....

Opps sorry forget where I am....

And Ditnon Sae-Ngow

Many different meanings, none of I can think of as amusing.

Immediate thoughts

sae ..... line ... pour on .... Banyan tree ... witch

ngow ..... shadow ..... cold .... lonely .... easy

Are you two for real?

Did you not bother to read the story?

Unbelievably crass behaviour.

Edited by Bluespunk

And Ditnon Sae-Ngow

Then try using your English language skills to read the article. Then come back and apologise to Bluespunk unless you feel it will cause you to lose face.

Stop posting nonsense

It's illegal not to wear a helmet on a motor bike too....

Refusing to get into the truck with the wife's family would have been

In his place I would have got into the truck too, praying to god we made it,

As one day I will die, I just don't know the where when or how,

RIP

"a massive loss of face for her,"

That would be the last thing what comes in my mind, blink.png

I usually drive always myself in cars and on motor bikers,

I do nearly never drink alcohol myself and would never drive with a driver who did drink.

If there is no other solution, I would stay behind and/or pay some guest rooms for a night in a resort. whistling.gif

I wnt go outside either..... the sky might fall !!