car accident plastic trim

kannot

Wife had a car hit her this morning, very minor damage scuffed the wheel arch trim not her fault other party admit it, black plastic not painted, insurance say they will paint this black plastic trim ???

Its the type of trim which is slightly rough texture and I dont accept them painting it as it is not the same as original unpainted from new, the scuff marks will not come out and this plastic is that soft type which you wouldnt be able to fill.

I suppose the question is "why" should we have to accept this painting..........or do we even have to?

Insurance say as its not broken they will only paint it which I really dont like the idea of at all

Photo of car with trim bit encircled, mattish plastic rough to touch this is "before the accident" from new it would not have been painted

Edited by kannot

If it were my vehicle, I'd have told them, never mind. If that's the worst ding you have, you should consider yourself very lucky.

but that aint the question, Im questioning whether it should be replaced or painted regardless of cost or fault or severity, I think painting this type of soft ( non painted from new) plastic is no good as later it will look different and the scratches will still show.

If it were my vehicle, I'd have told them, never mind. If that's the worst ding you have, you should consider yourself very lucky.

but that aint the question, Im questioning whether it should be replaced or painted regardless of cost or fault or severity, I think painting this type of soft ( non painted from new) plastic is no good as later it will look different and the scratches will still show.

You may want to swing in by the dealer and check on the cost and match of a new trim if your not going for a paint job.

I assume the other drivers insurance is going to cover the cost of the paint job so you might be able to work a deal by using some of your own coin, the cost and match of the new part will also play a part in the decision

From factory it ain't painted........Replace with new part.......

Yes that was my thought as painting plastic parts such as this I dont think will last.........maybe ok for a year or so but eventually not so good.

Thanks for all replies.of course if it was painted already thats a whole different ball game

Why not let them do it their way and see how it turns out. You can always complain later and don't sign the paperwork.

I did a stupid thing put some boards in the car and had them hanging out of the front window put packing under but by the time I got home they had marked the inner door panel. Went to the local repair place and asked if they could replace same, reply sure but why not just paint it. Like you I turned my nose up. They then said let them do it and if I didn't like the outcome they would get a new panel.

With nothing to loose I let then do it, total cost was 500bt.

Right was it any good well I went all over it with the old tooth comb looked like new. Out come saved me over 9th bt for new panel. That was over two years ago still looks like new.

You've nothing to loose so give it a go.

Edited by fredob43

You could let them try to 'paint' it with the caveat that if you are not satisfied they will just replace the part.

Ultimately it all has to be to your satisfaction.

That said - it's a tiny little ding. If it were me I'd let it go, knowing that at some point in the next few months a motorcycle or the wife will scratch it again !...

My Wife has had a minor accident in my car and also 'curbed' both left hand wheels in just 12 months ! - ultimately I have to give up being owned by the things I own and let a lot of things go.

Why not let them do it their way and see how it turns out. You can always complain later and don't sign the paperwork.

I did a stupid thing put some boards in the car and had them hanging out of the front window put packing under but by the time I got home they had marked the inner door panel. Went to the local repair place and asked if they could replace same, reply sure but why not just paint it. Like you I turned my nose up. They then said let them do it and if I didn't like the outcome they would get a new panel.

With nothing to loose I let then do it, total cost was 500bt.

Right was it any good well I went all over it with the old tooth comb looked like new. Out come saved me over 9th bt for new panel. That was over two years ago still looks like new.

You've nothing to loose so give it a go.

A Similar story here... a few years ago I was selling my car. The interior has numerous imperfections, minor plastic scuffs, some of that plastic lacquer chipped etc...

By the time one of these garages had finished with it, it looked in perfect condition... I was amazed.

Any decent body shop will have the chemicals available to make the paint stick. And you must mix a plasticizer into the paint to make it flexible without cracking. Been doing this since the 70's when the first plastic bumpers (which are not really bumpers, the steel underneath fulfills this purpose) came out so not anything new.

I would just go and order that part myself and replace it. Another thing you could do is to "paint" it with matte plasti-dip. That looks awesome!

What would be the point of that? In order for the parts to match they would all have to be plasti-dipped and he (or the insurance company) would, obviously, have to pay for it? May as well just get the damaged trim replaced.

What would be the point of that? In order for the parts to match they would all have to be plasti-dipped and he (or the insurance company) would, obviously, have to pay for it? May as well just get the damaged trim replaced.

For small scratches, it's uneconomical to involve insurance companies, as they will hit you with a higher premium and a loss of bonus.