Symbolic protest against Wattana’s detention planned at Victory Monument at 6 pm

webfact

Symbolic protest against Wattana’s detention planned at Victory Monument at 6 pm

Anon-wpcf_728x409.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The defiant "Resistance Citizen" Group today called on the people to stage a symbolic protest at the Victory Monument if the military junta did not free former commerce minister and member of the Pheu Thai party Wattana Muangsook by noon today.

The group leader Anon Numpha, a human right lawyer, posted the call on the Resistance Citizen Facebook, set noon today as deadline for the release of Mr Wattana.

He said if the release was not heeded, he would stage a symbolic protest at the Victory Monument at 6 pm.

He also called on the people opposing the detention to dress in white as a symbolic protest.

He assured that the symbolic protest would be peaceful and would abide by the laws.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/content/160097

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2016-04-19

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Symbolic protest against Wattana’s detention planned

this seems to make Wattana's and the puppet master's agenda clear: to incite unrest

never forget: it was the ptp corrupt gang's fault that there was no better solution than the military' s stepping in

The BBC covered Watana's surrender and being hustled away by the military to prevent him talking to reporters.

I would think tonight will get more coverage and hopefully be seen around the world.

Nice dilemma for the junta, do they ignore the protest and show their inconsistency of action or make arrests and draw even more attention to the situation which revolves around arbitrary illegal detention ?

At last.

I wish these brave people success.

Why for staging an symbolic protest against a violation of human rights ?

Assuming you are an immigrant, I would fully support your deportation, as you show no respect or consideration for the citizens of this country. You should be utterly ashamed for this post.

Edited by seedy
Quote hidden post

this seems to make Wattana's and the puppet master's agenda clear: to incite unrest

never forget: it was the ptp corrupt gang's fault that there was no better solution than the military' s stepping in

"this seems to make Wattana's and the puppet master's agenda clear: to incite unrest"

Ah, the bogeyman in Dubai who is behind every protest against the junta in Thailand. I mean, who in their right mind would actually protest against the righteous and competent junta unless they were paid to do it, right?

"never forget: it was the ptp corrupt gang's fault that there was no better solution than the military' s stepping in"

Firstly, it was the military's fault...obvious even to my dim eleven year old nephew.

Secondly, what "solution" are you talking about??? Exactly what has been solved by the junta during the last two years? And yes, I acknowledge the enormous feat of reforming the state lottery, but apart from that what exactly have they solved?

Edited by MZurf

The problem is, the cure is far worse than the alleged disease, there is no doubt about it. And corruption and nepotism are alive and well, but now without democracy, freedom of speech, freedom of press and assembly. And with people being detained for expressing an opinion without due process.

They aren't inciting unrest, they simply oppose the draft charter and for very good reasons.

Thailand needs to be given back to the Thai electorate, not continued controlled by very few people high up the food chain. The draft charter ensures that control will continue. Only the most gullible, non observant people believe otherwise....

Edited by sjaak327

At last.

I wish these brave people success.

Everyone has their own definition of stupidity. For some, it's the behaviour of people who don't happen to share their views. To others, it's the people who don't understand that people who don't agree with them aren't necessarily stupid and may in fact be smarter. Sometimes, it's the people who confuse rational thought and blind belief that are considered to be a really dim.

To still others, the really stupid people are those who blithely express opinions in a language they can't speak properly.

Edited by seedy
Quote hidden post

At one point I felt this might be the turning point to open defiance to the junta and perhaps civil unrest. But now I feel it will end quickly and quietly. May Wattana RIP

Given the level of national and international interest in his detention. including the fact that it was witnessed, filmed, explained and broadcast by the BBC, the junta wouldn't be daft enough to allow him to develop a "serious blood disorder", surely?

At one point I felt this might be the turning point to open defiance to the junta and perhaps civil unrest. But now I feel it will end quickly and quietly. May Wattana RIP

It's a no-win situation for the little guy. If he holds Wattana to teach him a lesson, he saves face but falls into Wattana's trap. Several ambassadors were there so interest is high. If he release Wattana early, he will be perceived as caving in to pressure and will lose face as well as undermining the rationale for detaining him in the first place - thereby defeating his own principles really.

Personally I would bet on 3 days, and we're already on day 2. That way he can claim he's treating Wattana the same as everyone else who's been incarcerated and at least salvage something from the whole farce.

Why did they not incarcerate Abhisit or Suthep I wonder?

But I do think you're right, TL does appear to be close to a tipping point. Or perhaps has already gone beyond it. Time will tell.

Winnie

Given the level of national and international interest in his detention. including the fact that it was witnessed, filmed, explained and broadcast by the BBC, the junta wouldn't be daft enough to allow him to develop a "serious blood disorder", surely?

Surely? I would like to say yes but with the pressure piling on the " PM" I believe anything can happen. Scary times for Thais and expats alike.

Based on just a variety of news reports over the last month or two with various groups and individuals openly pushing back against certain govt programs and proposals, it does seem the pace of discontent is finally beginning to bubble. But whether it's going to reach the boiling point I doubt that will happen...seems a slow simmer is about all that can be reached in the current environment.

Edited by Pib

At least if they are dressed in white they will refrain from throwing sh*t which is a standard procedure from them when they don't get what they want.

Lets hope they do not start any violence. Oh, thats right they can't because the Junta are still ensuring peace and order from this violent mob.

At least if they are dressed in white they will refrain from throwing sh*t which is a standard procedure from them when they don't get what they want.

Lets hope they do not start any violence. Oh, thats right they can't because the Junta are still ensuring peace and order from this violent mob.

Spot on.

blah blah they blah blah blah they blah them blah blah they blah they

It's always "them", isn't it?

fol de rol.

Yes, this dangerous and violent human rights lawyer! I'm sure he's paid by Lord Voldemort na Dubai!!!!

Thank the gods that we are ruled by a junta which have sensibly enough removed basic freedoms so that there is no more unrest - unrest they had absolutely no part in creating!

I hope they will throw shit even dressed in white until they get what they want which is freedom of expression and a stop to arbitary detention. They are assembling in peace and lets hope the junta will not start any violence. Oh, thats right, the junta has the guns too and will not hesistate to use them as history remind.

"this seems to make Wattana's and the puppet master's agenda clear: to incite unrest"

Ah, the bogeyman in Dubai who is behind every protest against the junta in Thailand. I mean, who in their right mind would actually protest against the righteous and competent junta unless they were paid to do it, right?

"never forget: it was the ptp corrupt gang's fault that there was no better solution than the military' s stepping in"

Firstly, it was the military's fault...obvious even to my dim eleven year old nephew.

Secondly, what "solution" are you talking about??? Exactly what has been solved by the junta during the last two years? And yes, I acknowledge the enormous feat of reforming the state lottery, but apart from that what exactly have they solved?

errr was'nt there something about a military park down Hua Hin way. I think this is another achievement concerning Khun Prayuth.

It's a no-win situation for the little guy. If he holds Wattana to teach him a lesson, he saves face but falls into Wattana's trap. Several ambassadors were there so interest is high. If he release Wattana early, he will be perceived as caving in to pressure and will lose face as well as undermining the rationale for detaining him in the first place - thereby defeating his own principles really.

Personally I would bet on 3 days, and we're already on day 2. That way he can claim he's treating Wattana the same as everyone else who's been incarcerated and at least salvage something from the whole farce.

Why did they not incarcerate Abhisit or Suthep I wonder?

But I do think you're right, TL does appear to be close to a tipping point. Or perhaps has already gone beyond it. Time will tell.

Winnie

Could'nt touch Suthep as we had it from his own mouth that he was advising the General on a daily basis throughout , which was never denied. As for Abisit he really is blameless as he was only doing what his boss Suthep told him to do.

Symbolic protest against Wattanas detention planned

What plannet have you been living on because that intelligent comment could only have evolved from Uranus.

If only the birth control had worked!

This man has done nothing wrong. As a foreigner it would not be wise for me to attend the peaceful protest. But I can wear a white shirt each day until he is released. Sorry thai people, I don't have an ounce of the courage this man has shown.

Good luck. ?????

50 minutes ago

Officers and jail trucks waiting for protesters against Junta's unlawful detention at Victory Monument.

10 minutes ago

More anti-junta protesters on the skywalk at Victory Monument are shouting “Free Watana!”

5 minutes ago

Protesters raise 3 fingers and call 'Free Watana' on BTS skywalk near Victory Monument. Police moving to disperse.

Latest.

Crowd control now clearing protestors off Victory Monument bridge

Pictures and news media via twitter. Kingsley Abbott, KhaosodEnglish, Richard Barrow and TLHR.

post-221427-14610657436144_thumb.jpg

post-221427-14610657756644_thumb.jpg

post-221427-14610658648403_thumb.jpg

Edited by Wilsonandson