2016 Toyota Hilux vs Ford Ranger - Offroad & Review

dagling

In terms of sales, Toyota and Ford have been locked in a battle for the top of the charts with the Hilux and Ranger, a feat which was impressive for the Hilux given that it was essentially 10 years old.

It has finally been replaced and we gathered together the new 2016 Toyota Hilux 4x4 and facelifted 2015 Ford Ranger together for a head to head review.

We took the bakkies offroad at Klipbokkop, a legendary 4x4 testing facility in the Western Cape for this comparison.

If you seriously need to do off-road, forget a pickup - buy a PPV - their shorter wheelbase and much better rear overhangs will get you further, with less body damage, and they're more comfortable.

That said, I really like this journo - I just wish he worked in a market where I hire journos :)

Edited by IMHO

Finally - a road test without all the bragging about doodads. Just an honest assessment of two good trucks. No evidence of what has become common among reviewers ...

attachicon.gifFanboy.jpg

You need to bear in mind they tested an XLT - which while better spec'd than a Thai XLT, doesn't have half the doodads of a Wildtrak wink.png

i.e. Not many doodads to talk about tongue.png

It's also from a country where the Ranger costs more than the equiv. model Hilux. Not so here in Thailand, where neither brand is shy about ambitious pricing ;)

Edited by IMHO

^^^True that. Just refreshing to listen to someone talk about the driving dynamics instead of how the kleenex holder is just the right shade of fuscia to match the headliner.

But he never said how many cup holders ...