Weather in Chiang Rai region

kal147

Ah yes, but any self-respecting Thai would be taking a nap in his little structure out in the field, not sitting around the house midday. It is open on all four sides to catch the breeze and is much cooler than the house. As a Farang you are supposed to have air-conditioning.thumbsup.gif

Mt+bike+new+trail++009.jpg

• Like 2

• 5 weeks later...

I love the almost daily thunder storms.

Mrs. Aft and her wee dog don't dig it much, but when the house shakes from thunder....whoa! shock1.gif

Mother nature in all her powerful glory.

And I don't have to water all the plants in the yard, just watch 'em grow. thumbsup.gif

I love the almost daily thunder storms.

Mrs. Aft and her wee dog don't dig it much, but when the house shakes from thunder....whoa! shock1.gif

Mother nature in all her powerful glory.

And I don't have to water all the plants in the yard, just watch 'em grow. thumbsup.gif

So does the grass in the gravel driveway.

If you want thunderstorms go to Darwin. A free light and sound show every night in the wet.

• Like 2

Okay I have never witnessed a Darwin light and sound show, but I agree with Aft, I enjoy our rainy season as much as anyone. I would much rather things were green and growing, than brown and burning. Somedays the clouds are absolutely amazing and we all know how much I like clouds.thumbsup.gifbiggrin.png

Has anyone else noticed that it is raining today.thumbsup.gifrolleyes.gif

You will have to ride your bike one handed today with the other holding the umbrella. Maybe you can start wearing google glasses too so we get documentary evidence of the pretty girls you look at in Central too:)

After a late and somewhat intermittent start to the rainy season, Mother Nature seems to be making up for lost time the last couple of days.

I've been getting similar reports from my family. A lot of heavy rain, but surprisingly not a lot of wind. Well for the present :)

After a late and somewhat intermittent start to the rainy season, Mother Nature seems to be making up for lost time the last couple of days.

I've been getting similar reports from my family. A lot of heavy rain, but surprisingly not a lot of wind. Well for the present smile.png

Loverly clean air. I can even open all the windows.

All well and good but now our pond is overflowing. I guess that is why we built the wall, though, to keep the fish in.

rain%2520%2520007.jpg

Let them have their little swim around the area. You like to get out of the house sometimes too don't you.smile.png

• Like 2

They are not like pigeons harrry, they may not find their way home and may even end up on someone's dinner plate. Here is another shot and the water is still rising. Yesterday this was all beautiful green, newly planted rice fields. Now it is a lake.

rain%2520%2520004.jpg

• Like 2

Most of the year one can wander around under this bridge and walk on sandbags into the middle of the river. Now all that area is under water and at its peak the water nearly touches the bottom of the bridge. These shots are taken from opposite sides of the bridge for obvious reasons, even with the water having gone down a bit.

Today was beautifully clear but they say there is more rain to come over the next few days.

bridge+++001.jpg

Water++007.jpg

Edited by villagefarang
  • Like 1

Just an FYI, there is a section of Highway 1 just north of CR Univ that is flooded. They are directing smaller vehicles into on of the southbound lanes (yes they closed it to northbound traffic first) for about 1KM. North and southbounds are a real mess at that area.

Most of the year one can wander around under this bridge and walk on sandbags into the middle of the river. Now all that area is under water and at its peak the water nearly touches the bottom of the bridge. These shots are taken from opposite sides of the bridge for obvious reasons, even with the water having gone down a bit.

Today was beautifully clear but they say there is more rain to come over the next few days.

bridge+++001.jpg

nice bike and bridge, but when I first saw the 'sandbags' I thought they were pure garbage. Even after calling them 'sandbags' it still looks rather trashy. I hope locals aren't tossing garbage in to the Kok river. I saw people doing that in Mae Sai/Tachilek. It's a primitive mind-set, to do so.

More on topic: strong downpours last night. I'd be surprised if parts of Mae Sai wasn't flooded, particularly that stretch to left of bridge.

• Like 1

Here is another look at the sandbags. Granted the sandbags are not aesthetically pleasing, and as they age become downright trashy looking, but they do the job of damming the river and narrowing the flow. Perhaps it makes it easier to catch fish in that area and I doubt they do any longterm harm to the river.

Driving to town yesterday there was water over the road in a few places but nothing impassable. I did take a different way home, however.

Our dogs need their walks Scea, so grab the umbrella and do your best Gene Kelly interpretation.thumbsup.gif

Ing+River++002.jpg